• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clarification regarding frame advance

Schiller

Smash Rookie
In 20xx I've been experimenting with frame advance for a while now, but I wanted to clarify from someone when specifically inputs are registered.

So lets say for this example, lets say I am looking at frame 20, hold A and frame advance. Now on frame 21 the A is registered and if I move forward more I see the effect of the move play out where 'frame 1 of the move' happened on frame 21.

Does this mean I inputted A on frame 20 or frame 21? I think it would be frame 20, but since I've been debating this myself I wanted to check.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
There are about 3.6-5 frames of lag on a normal setup so in a real game your input comes about 3.6-5 frames before the action on screen.

When working in develop mode, it's ambiguous and saying it either way works. In your wallet example, it would be convention to say " input on" when referring to frame 20 and "input at" when referring to frame 21. "Input A on frame 20" = "input A at frame 21".

Top Bottom