• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media Clank animations in this game are too long

OverLade

Smash Hero
Something had been bugging me that I wasn't able to put my finger on for a long time, but I realized eventually that it was the clank animations in this game.

When two attack with similar priority collide in this game, both characters enter a recoil animation. For some reason, it seems to be much longer in this game than it has been in past Smash games. I made a video on the topic if you're interested, but otherwise, if you just go into training mode you can test it for yourself.

It's part of what makes fighting zoners a huge headache, and also leads to an unnecessary feeling of clunkiness.

Thoughts?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, for me as a Zero Suit, it's of reasonable benefit.
Paralyzer (and down smash) had their base knockback neutered, but in the case of Paralyzer it's capable of clanking - which gives actual frame advantage at no charge, and is otherwise capable of near-matching the "DPS" of other projectile tools; thus it's still pretty good. Luigi's fireball in s4 was known for this quirk as well - it was better to get hit by the fireball then to clank or shield it.
I'd assume Ridley has a bit of that going for him too with his fireball?

It's irksome when you have something like Megaman's pellet clank with you and then they get the time to then jump through you and bair or up tilt, but for some chars it works "nicely" though.

Also, are the lengths of these clank animations by any chance also (damage traditionally was the only factor) tied to the native animation's frame length? 20 odd frames for jab seems equivalent?

Last edited:

OverLade

Smash Hero
I didn't take the time to actually test. It's either tied by the move you use "all jabs have the same amount of clank" or it's determined by how much damage the move does. It's my fault for not being enough of a scientist and not wanting to meticulously test lul.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Well, for me as a Zero Suit, it's of reasonable benefit.
Paralyzer (and down smash) had their base knockback neutered, but in the case of Paralyzer it's capable of clanking - which gives actual frame advantage at no charge, and is otherwise capable of near-matching the "DPS" of other projectile tools; thus it's still pretty good. Luigi's fireball in s4 was known for this quirk as well - it was better to get hit by the fireball then to clank or shield it.
I'd assume Ridley has a bit of that going for him too with his fireball?

It's irksome when you have something like Megaman's pellet clank with you and then they get the time to then jump through you and bair or up tilt, but for some chars it works "nicely" though.

Also, are the lengths of these clank animations by any chance also (damage traditionally was the only factor) tied to the native animation's frame length? 20 odd frames for jab seems equivalent?
As far as I can tell, it is only determined by a move's damage and hitlag modifier. Higher hitlag modifier and damage = more lag. The projectile you clank with doesn't seem to actually matter.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I was painfully aware of some clank interactions being unfavorable, but the first example (and really, this was the worst-case example for me to take seriously) was Yoshi's Egg Roll vs a Thunderjolt by Pikachu. I suffered... more than 40+ frames of clank-lag for it. In no way is that fine.

So yeah, clanking with something that you contest for the sake of allowing shield-regeneration would seem like a good idea. But nah.

Top Bottom