• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cincinnati Smash Revival Biweekly Results

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Fizzle doesn't own the game, he said he likes her but just played her in the tournament because of how good she is.
She's pretty freaking good.

I'd like to see Fizzle show some stuff with Dr. Mario, I feel like Fizzle's playstyle would showcase some of Doc's strengths in a way most others couldn't.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 entrants majority of attendants

the future is now
Would have even been a bigger majority if someone else had showed up :p

Regardless, thanks to all the Columbus guys for coming out and competing despite the circumstances. It was amazing getting to see some of my old friends as well as meet a couple of new ones. Here's some random shoutouts in no particular order.

Quincy: Keep it up, you have the basics, it's all uphill from here on out. But of course you already knew that :p

XYK: You are the only solely responsible for giving me some of the most amazing and fun bracket sets I've had in ages. Freaking loved playing against you man, in both 3DS and PM. Keep scuttling your way around and you'll be an amazing player soon!

Fizzle: Grr....I'll get you one day. Great sets though man, they were amazing and thanks for having fun with it! I'll be back one day to beat you >:D (however I still want to declare myself the DK champ of OH :p )

Fumbls: Thanks a bunch for teaming in Melee, I'll try harder next time to actually be ok at this game :p. and don't let your PM performance get you down, you just had a bad day. You'll bounce back and start kicking my tail again.

Papa: even though we only got to play a set, it was still fun hanging around you, and as hanky always said, you've got a lot of potential, keep it up :D

Shiro: Thanks much for the melee sets and for all the MH talk, it was very fun and I swear when I come back we're playing some freaking MH3U.

AlfaStryke: Thanks for bringing your recording setup, it was much appreciated even if the footage kind of died. Too bad we didn't get to play though :/ Ah well...next time I guess.

Suyon: Thanks for trashing me in Smash 4 :(. I guess I got my revenge in PM tho :p. Nice sets in both games, I'll be back next time in Smash 4 to get you fit.

Russy: Keep it up man, it's a slow climb, but don't give up. You have a discipline that I don't see from a lot of other people.

Thanks very much for Pibs hosting the tourney, and Dr. X for helping out with running brackets and such. Also shoutouts to Soulpech for brining Avalon, I'm hype for that game now :D

Apologies if I forgot anyone in the shoutouts, I'll get ya next time :p

Very nice tourney to everyone who came, and I hope I'll see you all again soon!

Last edited:

PeppyWil

Smash Ace
Very upset that I couldn't make it to this one to see the first meeting of two of Ohio's giants. Looking forward to seeing more from both Hatz and Fizzle in the future, though. I'd really like to see Hatz, Fizzle, Hanky, and Boss all at the same tournament some time this year... but we'll see.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Would have even been a bigger majority if someone else had showed up :p
$5 No Smash 4 doubles, 2 stock, weird stage configuration, plus sharing a venue with Melee / PM

-or-

$10 Smash 4 only tournament, 3 stock, with singles, doubles, smash run, pokemon stadium 2, and the strongest Smash 4 talent known in the region

Hilt's tournament had a better setup for a Smash 4 player. CSR was closer, but had already made commitments by the time any ruleset changes might have been made. Was gonna go on the 18th, but Alpha Collusion moved CSR's date so I just did a house tournament instead. I reeeeeeeeally hate multi-main-game events. They are a cancer.

It's a habit that appeared after Melee died and Brawl's popularity waned, where we had this weird cross section of skilled Brawl players wanting to play the game they were skilled at and new Melee players wanting to play this new game they found and people dabbling in both because smash is smash. It wasn't so bad because both games were very low population, but it continued on after PM started getting more popular and Brawl was played less and the bleed over from PM to Melee is higher. This is effectively saying "Let's run Melee singles twice". No sane TO would ever consider that a good idea but it somehow became okay by putting "Project" in front of the word Melee. PM takes much longer than Melee, but even if it didn't it'd still be a silly idea. A few large tournaments do it because they're multi-day events with a giant venue and the funds and time to accomodate it, but most of them even mess it up.

Now seeing "Melee + PM + Smash 4" is basically a guarantee of "this will be a poorly run event" whenever there are multiple games and a large number of entrants, so it's this weird conflict where success means failure. You want lots of entrants, but getting lots of entrants (which, of course, are all playing multiple games) means your event will be poorly organized and take much longer than it should. It's especially ****ty for a TO because I understand the frustration of removing a game from a lineup that people want is an unpopular thing. On top of all this, you get situations like this CSR where you have Melee/PM/Smash 4 and only one of them can have doubles. Switching every other tournament to have a different game's doubles = no one cares about doubles. It sucks and is impossible to deal with as a TO, there just isn't enough time.

A lot of the players here might not have actually attended well run single-game events, but the common tournament format used to be doubles bracket -> singles pools -> singles bracket -> friendlies and draft crews -> more friendlies and money matches until people needed to go home. Melee tournaments ending when finals were done is a new phenomenon that is a result of playing multiple games and people shuffling inbetween games mid-tournament. It's hell on a TO and it's boring from a player perspective unless you yourself play each of these games... and even then, you get a worse experience.

I played Melee for funsies in the interim and played PM for free monies and so I could say BOWSER, but Smash 4 is out on 3DS now and will soon be out on Wii U. I don't really want to deal with these shared events through Smash 4's 3DS lifespan and certainly don't want to see setup conflicts with the Wii U version, so Smash 4 only events are probably gonna take precedence for me.

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
This was a fun tournament despite the turnout, and I got some good wins under my belt despite my bad placement. I was kinda bummed when I found out about the insane jiggs ditto gauntlet I missed out on by dropping out of Melee.

Thanks Hatz. I had fun playing you. Looking forward to meeting you in bracket again once I level up a few more times.

Shoutouts to XYK for placing so well, even though you knocked me out. Those sets with Hatz were a blast to watch.

Also shoutouts to Mr. Ravine. We've played a bunch of friendlies every time I've seen you at a tournament, and you've gotten noticeably better every time. Keep it up and I think you'll be formidable pretty soon.

I was SO close to taking the Ohio Ivysaur crown from Fizzle at this. It's only a matter of time.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
This was my first time hanging out with an Ohio scene outside of Columbus and you guys were all great! The venue is super chill and it was cool to get to meet a lot of you. I had a blast in both PM Singles and Sm4sh Singles.

Shoutouts time!

Papa: I appreciate you helping me out with the traveling. I honestly think that you are one of the most adaptable and fastest growing players in OH. That Ivy scares me. Our games are always so close and it literally could go either way each time! I definitely am right behind Hanky when he says that you will be top 5 really soon.

Hatz: You are such a cool dude! By far the most entertaining matches of the day for me. Your Charizard is fantastic and your spacing is top notch! Just remember, we can go Yoshi's Story anytime you want! The option is always available LOL. Also, I want to join in on this MH3U stuff! For real though, you're a fantastic player and I look forward to fighting you again real soon!

Suyon: I almost took that first seed position from you in our Sm4sh pools! We definitely need to train together sometime. I lost a little earlier than expected, but I will see you in Grands next time for sure!

Good games to everyone though! There were some close matches that scared me and some good talk! You guys are strong and I hope I get to fight you all again soon! Thanks PiBs for running it!

Suyon

Smash Lord
GGs to everyone.

Hatz: You got me in PM. But you are superior in PM than me. It will take awhile for me to improve myself in that game. I am more focused on Smash 4 for the moment but I will come back and challenge you in PM and hopefully not getting bodied. In terms of Smash 4. I was really scared to play your WiiFit trainer if that happened because I wasn't sure if I would be able to deal with it or not. But I will accept you as my trainer! In my mind I should have beaten Fizzle though. The input errors I made were critical and costed me the game when I was trying to end his last stock in both games.Lumaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

XYK: That comeback was amazing and mind consuming. Yeah, I wouldn't mind the training because I need to know more MUs in this game. I can't play online because my internet is just terrible. It is possible to play but just gotta find the moments. All these custom special moves have made me go back and test them out and I found some pretty nifty stuff that I will be using next tournament if they are legal. Nonetheless I will see you in Grands as long as these Rosalinas can be conquered.

Last edited:

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
Good games everyone.

I was disappointed I never got to finish this tournament, but i'm pretty satisfied with 7th place.

I can't believe I got beaten by Fizzle 4 separate times with Rosalina and Luma no matter what character I played, but still he played well. I had a blast at this tournament. I hope I get to partake in another sometime soon!

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Just saw I'm listed as Fox in Melee. I use Marf.

Also I had a medical emergency literally the day after this tournament. I guess those losses REALLY got to me. :o

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
November 15, 2014

PM Doubles (7)

1: The Hanky Experience + Fizzle (Hanky Panky, Fizzle) ($40.00)
2: The Boy and his Eragon (Hatz, XYK) ($26)
3: Dr. TRex and his rider (Village Mascot, Dr. X) ($14)
4: Balls of Feels (SwolePecs, Fumbles)
5: Breadheads (PiBs, SweetyT)
5: Saltonic (2Tone, Salt)
7: Forstquz (MunnyBunz, Clintombment)
7: IKFN (Pretzl, Mr McPippens)

Melee Singles (22)

1: Hanky Panky :peachmelee:
2: Fizzle :sheikmelee:
3: Salt :peachmelee: :marthmelee:
4: Dr. X :foxmelee:
5: Nigamon :marthmelee:
5: 2Tone :marthmelee:
7: SweetyT :jigglypuffmelee:
7: Quint :marthmelee:
9: Fumbles :pikachumelee:
9: PiBs :jigglypuffmelee: :nessmelee:
9: JK_ing
9: Village Mascot :foxmelee:
13: Digitalizm :marthmelee:
13: Miss McPibbens
13: Kevin
13: Pas
17: SilverBlade :sheikmelee:
17: Silver :sheikmelee:
17: KidBuu :falcomelee:
17: Modem
21: SRB
21: Pretzl :foxmelee:

PM 3.5 Singles (27)

1: Hanky Panky :peach:
2: Fizzle :rob: :bowser2: :dk2: :sheik:
3: SwolePecs :jigglypuff:
4: Hatz :charizard: :dk2:
5: XYK :luigi2:
5: Papa :ivysaur:
7: Salt :peach:
7: Village Mascot :link2:
9: Quincy
9: Fumbles :popo:
9: Dr. X :lucas:
9: 2Tone :roymelee:
13: NVolt :squirtle:
13: SweetyT :mario2:
13: HalfJack
~pools cutoff~
16: TripleZGaming
16: Clintombment
16: Pas
16: Silver :zelda:
16: KidBuu :mario2:
21: Striker
21: Buck
21: MunnyBunz
21: SilverBlade
21: Kevin
26: Bob
26: Shy

Smash 4 3DS Singles (13)

There were a lot of connection problems between there first set before grand finals. Having so many games cut out, so they decided to split. High hopes for the WiiU version :)
1: Absol ($26.65) (split) :4sheik:
2: Katakiri ($26.65) (split) :4metaknight:
3: Fumbles ($11.70) :rosalina:
4: Fizzle :rosalina:
5: KidBuu :4shulk:
5: HalfJack
7: PiBs :4jigglypuff:
7: Tails :4pikachu:
~pools cutoff~
9: TripleZGaming
9: SilverBlade
9: JK_ing
9: Buck
13: Modem

Bracket Images: http://imgur.com/a/6IEGR

Last edited:

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
good tourney, but next time please don't put me + fizzle on the same side for melee singles and salt + dr x on the other side

that's dumb for a whole lot of reasons

Last edited:

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff to everyone. Melee was awesome as usual. 3.5 was fun to play. I was wondering why I wasn't getting my ridiculous up-air chains with Roy and then I just read that his landing lag when L-Cancelled was slightly increased... :( Still a good character, just have to adjust a little. He's worth it :D
And Shiro, you've definitely gotten better since I last saw you. Sweet ditto in bracket.
Dr. X, the jank was too much in our bracket set. Good stuff against Salt, as well. That Fox is most certainly fraudulent.
Fizzle, it's fun playing you. Nice Sheik you've got there.
Fumbles, that Pikachu is silly.
Half-Jack, holy crap. Fun set in PM. You almost had me.
Every time I come to one of these things, I notice people growing as players between them. Collin, keep it up, man. What you're doing for the Cincy scene is awesome.
See you all at the next one! Melee Doubles!

Last edited:

Village Mascot

Smash Rookie
All this tournament really did for me is make me more determined to practice more and to re-learn Link. I'll make him work. :p

Good games to everyone. Lets try to get more serious practice in on Thursdays (and other days that are available). See you all again soon.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
To quote myself: "We should have Grand Finals over wifi, we'd probably have a more stable connection."
3DS, man. Good riddance. WII U HYPE!

This was a surprisingly well-ran tournament for having 4 events and the TO playing in 3 of them himself! My one complaint was that 3DS shouldn't have ran to 9:20 with that small a bracket even with everyone in multiple events. I knew it would be low-priority to Melee/PM player going in but there was an entire pool that took over an hour to start. Bracket was only slightly better and that just looks bad no matter what the game.

I fully expect to see Smash 4 QUAD-TEAMS replace PM Doubles next time. Why even have dubs for a game modification that's not even at APEX? :yeahboi:

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 Doubles will be ran next time. Smash 4 3DS was not as high of a priority, sets were also taking much longer than usual because of conneciton issues :\

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
Good games everyone. Even though I had to leave early. But god the 3ds connections were annoying.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 doubles will replace melee doubles because it is on the WiiU. Also, I'm not sure if I want to run 2v2 or 2v2v2v2 or 3v3 or 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1, all seem pretty fun. I have to look more into the 8 player mode on WiiU. Not sure about pika & watch, seem too op.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We had people try pika & G&W at my house tournament - it looks scary, Kel and I were still able to beat them.

If you're going to ban pika & G&W, you might as well ban Jigglypuff in Melee teams because she has the potential for a OHKO too >_>

If it's broken, it'll show in tournament results -- not in friendlies and forum posts. So far no one on the planet has done suspiciously well with G&W/Pika.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 doubles will replace melee doubles because it is on the WiiU.
Ah, I see. Well, okay then. I haven't even touched Smash 4 yet (lack of money, lack of interest to play it on 3DS because my eyeballs are terrible) but if it's on a bigger screen, I'll probably try it out.
Also, OS, I haven't really read into the meta for Smash 4 either yet; what makes G&W + Pikachu scary?

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
Ah, I see. Well, okay then. I haven't even touched Smash 4 yet (lack of money, lack of interest to play it on 3DS because my eyeballs are terrible) but if it's on a bigger screen, I'll probably try it out.
Also, OS, I haven't really read into the meta for Smash 4 either yet; what makes G&W + Pikachu scary?
Pikachu uses thunder, G&W scoops it up with bucket, instant kill on whoever it get's dumped on

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
Here comes the XYK bracket shoutouts post!

SweetyT - GGs to you sir! You're a super chill dude and you've got a fun Mario! I would recommend mixing up some of your approaches with grabs instead of constant pressure. I was able to get a lot of shield grabs when you approached aggressively. Sad to see you get knocked out of bracket so early. Keep improving!

Papa - Sorry that some unlucky events happened in our set. As usual, I know you're nobody to simply glance over. It seems like there are pros and cons to new Ivy, but I think not having that super powerful Up B helped me out greatly. I look forward to seeing how you incorporate new Ivy's tools!

Hanky Panky - Peach seems super good in this patch in comparison to a lot of the cast. I need to work on my mixups and plan on disciplining myself to not make match-changing mistakes. Thanks for your encouragement and advice.

Hatz - Even with all of th Charizard nerfs, you played excellently! I did not expect that DK change on game 2 and instantly regretted counter picking Warioware when you changed characters. DK seems super good in this patch. Thanks for being my doubles partner and I hope we get to team again sometime in the future! Also, looking forward to future monster hunts! Good times.

Fizzle - I must admit, I felt confident at the beginning of our mm, but I thought that they were fun games regardless of the outcome. They generated some mini hype behind us and it is a rather fun ditto. You taught me a thing or two that I hadn't been using with Luigi and I plan on incorporating them. Don't spend that $5 all in one place.

Thank you for running the tournament, PiBs. It is people like you that make memories, friendships, and growth in the smash community and it is greatly appreciated.

GGs everyone! Hope to see you all again soon.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu uses thunder, G&W scoops it up with bucket, instant kill on whoever it get's dumped on
Oh, well, they shouldn't be banned because of that. It actually sounds like it takes more skill than a grab+rest. It has more moving parts. Not to mention, you need your partner to be alive to utilize it.

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
Oh, well, they shouldn't be banned because of that. It actually sounds like it takes more skill than a grab+rest. It has more moving parts. Not to mention, you need your partner to be alive to utilize it.
I honestly have no problem with it, it's funny to watch, and not that hard to get around

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It's this video that really has people up in arms about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x60Rvt4kjXg
Yeah, people kneejerked to that one pretty hard. A 17 second match from two teams utilizing the same strategy on launch weekend. XD

It's a scary team, no doubt about it -- but if all it takes to ban a team is for them to be scary then we wouldn't have much in the way of doubles.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
G&W can't autofill on thunder in 1.04, apparently.

everything unbannnnnnnnnned

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
December 6, 2014

Smash 4 WiiU Doubles (8)

1: Team Mister Eric and Fumbles (Mister Eric, Fumbles) ($40.00)
2: Weebles Wobbles (Sai, Today) ($25.60)
3: The Worst! (Village Mascot, Rizner) ($14.40)
4: Dos Koopas (Smash64, Halfjack)
5: Unlucky Charms (P, Rell)
5: The Kanker Sisters (PiBs, Ragu)
7: Scrub em out (Peep, Slim)
7: Shulk Time (KidBuu, Buck)

Melee Singles (18)

1: Fear ($45.00) :falcomelee: :foxmelee:
2: Ragu ($28.80) :sheikmelee:
3: Fumbles ($16.20) :pikachumelee: :peachmelee:
4: Dr. X :foxmelee:
5: Amida :jigglypuffmelee:
5: Salt :peachmelee: :marthmelee:
7: Village Mascot :foxmelee:
7: SweetyT :foxmelee: :jigglypuffmelee:
9: Cygnus
9: Clef
9: JTFS
9: PAS
13: KidBuu :falcomelee:
13: Turtle21
13: Max
13: Modem :foxmelee:
17: JKing
17: Russy :ganondorfmelee: :linkmelee:

PM 3.5 Singles (26)

1: Fumbles ($65.00) :popo: :metaknight:
2: Village Mascot ($39.00) :link2:
3: Salt ($19.50) :peach:
4: Mister Eric ($6.50) :rob:
5: Fear :fox:
5: HalfJack :gw:
7: Ragu :zelda:
7: Dr. X :lucas:
9: JTFS
9: Giuocob
9: Smash64
9: Clef :mario2:
13: Casiopea :roymelee: :falcon: (dropped)
13: Russy :ganondorf:
13: SweetyT :mario2:
13: PAS
17: Buck
17: Raws
17: Chips
17: MITKR
21: Modem
21: Usagimaru
21: Cygnus
21: Turtle21
25: Ghana
25: Crispy

Smash 4 WiiU Singles (22)

1: Katakiri ($55.00) :4metaknight:
2: Kero ($33.00) :4greninja:
3: Fumbles ($16.50) :rosalina:
4: Smash64 ($5.50) :4bowserjr:
5: Sai :4diddy: :4duckhunt:
5: Cinatas :4link:
7: KasandraNova :rosalina:
7: Mister Eric :4rob:
9: Amida :4ness: :4jigglypuff:
9: PiBs :4olimar: :4ness:
9: Dr. X :4pit:
9: HalfJack :4bowser: :4diddy:
13: Wipp
13: Village Mascot :4fox:
13: Renko :4zelda:
13: Casiopea :4falcon: (dropped)
17: Buck
17: KidBuu :4shulk: :4megaman:
17: Skiboots
17: PAS
21: SweetyT :4falcon:
21: P :4palutena:

Bracket Images: http://imgur.com/a/D2wAM#0

Last edited:

Village Mascot

Smash Rookie
As always, not super important, but I did use more than just Fox in Smash 4, here are all the characters (basically used everyone the same amount):

:4kirby::4fox::4greninja::4link::4tlink::4sonic::4zss::4luigi:

Top Bottom