• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cincinnati Smash Forever - 1/24/15 - Smash 4 WiiU, Melee, and PM

SaLt08

Smash Rookie
Ok, well my turn for shoutouts.

1) Drephen- you're just flat out better than me and it sucks that you get to practice with Hanky all the time, because I felt like WF and GF were totally free for you. GG's nevertheless, I need to improve quite a bit to contend with Cbus.

3) Amida- great stuff man. Your jiggly is very scary at times. Our set was crazy, you may very well beat me the next time we play.

5) 2-tone- great job buddy, way to bring it back after losing to Amida so early in bracket. Looking forward to better things for you in the future.

Also I'd like to send a couple of special shoutouts to TED and KellyK. Ted, it was great to see you again after all these years, your captain was totally legit and I hope to see you at future events. KellyK, thanks for making the trip up to Cincy, good matches in pools. Hopefully we can get some more friendlies in the next time. I almost forgot, Broverdose, I didn't get to play you in bracket, but our MM was pretty epic afterward. Good stuff getting 4th.

Finally, I'd like to say thanks to the TO's for working so hard to make the tourney the best they could considering the circumstances. I'm confident that the next tourney will be even better.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
This is going to sound like finger-pointing, but I'm going to be perfectly frank with you guys. This was Colin's doing. PM pools finished well before Melee, and Colin made the PM brackets by himself without consulting me, even though we had previously agreed that I would do that part myself on my own computer. He then repeated this for Melee, after insisting that I play my first round PM match, and that Melee was his job anyway, not mine. After that first round match, I saw the problem in the PM bracket, but he insisted that it wasn't really an issue and that he wouldn't fix it because the brackets had already started.

I'm going to assume that something similar happened on the Smash 4 side. I remember hearing Daycia complain that Collin wouldn't let her make the bracket. I don't really know all the details of that, though.
Regarding Collin not letting Daycia make the bracket, Collin was set on starting the mystery event before Smash 4 started, and for some reason wouldn't allow Daycia to even start on the bracket due to this. Smash 4 was hours behind at this point, and the bracket should have been in the works as soon as pools ended. However, It took a while for Daycia to be allowed to make the bracket.

Last edited:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Bracket wasn't even scheduled until six (which didn't end up happening until eight), which was way too late.

Two or three people on staff is not enough. Steve and Daycia are great at running events, but you need more than that for an event of this size. At Facebook Official I had seven others, excluding myself. I knew what everyone was good at, what their jobs would be, what needed to be done, and they were on call for whenever I needed them. Know your team, know what you need to take care of. Ask for advice. But more importantly, listen to advice. As I said, you have Steve and Daycia who both have years of experience running large events, and I'm always willing (and eager) to give advice whenever.

Do not try to learn by trial and error. You may think it works for you, but it doesn't work for everyone going to your events. Don't make them suffer for no good reason.

Last edited:

Modem

Smash Rookie
I won't lie, I really hated the bracket pools. I definitely have a very high salt content because I genuinely feel like I would have made it out of pools if they hadn't been double elimination. That said, no johns, I'll just get better so I won't have to worry about it.

Now for the good things!

This was my first time at Arcade Legacy, and it really blew me away. It seemed like a very nice venue, and everyone there was very kind and helpful.

I think PiBs, Dr. X and Daycia did a very good job given the huge turnout, and I think things can only get better.

There were definitely issues. But all in all, it was an extremely fun day, one that made me (and some friends new to the community that I brought) very excited for future events.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
I haven't done shoutouts in so long! Time to actually do them for a change.

Smash 4:
7: Cinatas :4link: $17 - Your Link is nasty man.
9: Suyon - Duuuuude. Our set was soooo good! I can't wait until we get to play again. :D
13: Crash - I'm so glad you got to come out to this. Still sad you can't go to Ohayo though. ;_;
17: DTJ Hilt :4villager: - UGH WE DIDN'T GET TO PLAY AT ALL! Next time though. We're gonna have to just make a trip down to see you guys here soon.
17: Renko - Good games in bracket!
17: Casiopea :4yoshi: - You think you can hide behind that name? I STILL KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND WHO YOU'RE PLAYING.
17: Day~! :4ness: - Really good games Day! Our set was super intense. Hopefully we can all play together sometime soon!
33: Rizner :4kirby: - Fun sets as always, Dan. I don't think we're ever going to have a completely serious set and I'm super okay with that. XD
33: Aufwiedehersehen :4lucina: - Great games in pools! Keep up the hard work!
33: Sebastian :4sheik: - I am so proud of you for this placing at your second tournament. <3 So glad you're playing smash now!
49: Nacho - Good games in pools. I think your ROB has potential!
65: Arkayne :4greninja: - Good games and I think your prints are freakin' awesome! If you have a Samus one, I might end up buying it the next time you bring them around. :D

Melee:

4: Broverdose :foxmelee: $61 - Good **** man. Always fun playing friendlies and talking to you. Keep coming up to our events!
5: Ragu :sheikmelee: $15 - PROUD OF YOU BBGURL! You wrecked me and pools and did really well in bracket. Keep it up. :D
9: Soulpech :jigglypuffmelee: - Good games in bracket! It's been a really long time since we have had to play in anything haha.
9: Mudkyp :peachmelee: - UGH OUR SET WAS SO TIGHT! I'm gonna keep practicing my Sheik though, so be ready next time. ;D
17: Snap :marthmelee: - Good games in pools! Sheik is definitely your best character, so try sticking with her rather than Marth!
17: Dr. GreenThumb :peachmelee: - We didn't get to play any this time! :( We'll have to play friends again next time.
25: Silver :sheikmelee: - Thanks man. Been working on Fox for awhile now, so I've got some tricks up my sleeve haha.

Overall I had a ton of fun at this tournament, despite its shortcomings. Everything I thought was wrong with it has already been said though.

Thanks to all the TOs that helped run this! Looking forward to a new series for each game.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Collin not letting Daycia make the bracket, Collin was set on starting the mystery event before Smash 4 started, and for some reason wouldn't allow Daycia to even start on the bracket due to this. Smash 4 was hours behind at this point, and the bracket should have been in the works as soon as pools ended. However, It took a while for Daycia to be allowed to make the bracket.
Mystery event wasn't started, nor the bracket made until Smash 4 bracket was finished and announced. Smash 4 bracket was started as the pools were ending, and all pools were entered immediately. Bracket did not start until 7:30 because the last pool was turned in at 7:00.

Last edited:

VenomaShockwave

Smash Cadet
Kiitos here, I was the Robot who couldn't make it out of pools :C

I had a lot of fun at this tournament, and I was only mildly salty I had to face Katikiri and JT5565 in pools (I never realize how bad I am at smash until I play notable people LOL). I was very pleased with meeting all the familiar faces and some new faces at this event. I will always be more than happy to help with streaming and technology-related stuff (electronics are my real first language). I expect to be at more events in the future (but I heard a lot of salt about questionable pool and bracket designs).

Also also
@Absol 359 I think Shadow the Past wanted to fight you on the wii u, our NNID is 0ketos0 if you want to add us. One of us is usually online at least once a day haha.

@Katakiri give me some tips on how to fight metaknightttttt I seriously have no match up experience with the character, maybe we can do some friendlies online sometime as well??

@Mister Eric I was rooting for you the whole time thoooo. I wanted to let you know that stream chat was the hypest when you were clutching it out on stream. I want to learn all there is to learn about ROB, I think he will always be one of my favorite characters in Smash Brothers.

@Today I am glad you were able to run a stream for the event. Streaming is something I find very important for the smash community, and the more events get streamed, the more exposure our scene gets.

@ Shadow the Past Shadow the Past You probably could have made top 8 if the bracket wasn't set against you lol. I wish I had your pool LOL

@jt5565 It was fun playing against your Captain Falcon (and your Sonic that one time).. I couldn't seem to avoid that knee lol. I would like to play with you more, I feel like I could learn a lot from you.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the feedback: these are the most notable points I took from it all and hope to improve on.

Second round of bracket doesn't play someone from their pool and make sure friends don’t play – Overwhelmed I didn't think to check past anything past second round. Will definitely stay on point next time and have someone else double-check the bracket. Thanks to @ DtJ Hilt DtJ Hilt for the great idea of using players location in TiO to separate their pools when switching to bracket.

Being overwhelmed – Get more TOs; Also make sure each TO knows where they are designated to do so no confusion happens and they are there when needed. @ DtJ Hilt DtJ Hilt

Payout – Lay out the payout beforehand for different amounts of people expected; though I changed it with ease, I don’t like players coming to a tournament with something stated how it will be then changing it. @Juushichi @Doctor X

Have more experienced players help with seeding – Already did this in all games and it all went good except Smash 4. I under-seeded Shadow of the Past and JT5565 even though I had two others help me. Need to have more diverse players check the bracket again next time. Also I update my seeding after every tournament, so this has been fixed obviously. @Katakiri

Understand bracket pools vs. round robin pools better – Did research and I understand the number of matches it takes for each, how much time, and how to seed them better. Even though I liked the choice we made at CSF, I just wanted to learn more because it was Doctor X’s idea. @Rizner

Make sure the schedule is on point - Definitely have to run all main smash events but make sure the schedule is planned to include all pieces of the events and time permitting side events.

Arcade Legacy as a venue – Have to make sure people understand wristbands and signing up better next time. It was my first tournament at this venue too so I did not know about the registration process until that morning. @Pas

Overall: Man this turnout was hard to handle without expecting it. Overall everything went good though. Thanks to everyone that brought setups; tournament layout was good and we had enough setups to effectively run the tournament. Pools started two or more hours late because it took a long time to create, balance, and sort out the waves, but they were created well with very few problems, and we caught up through hard work to have all the brackets start thirty to an hour and a half late. Bracket seeding was good until my mess up of the second round. Mystery event was started even though I had to DQ some people for being busy with multiple games or were unable to find. However, I think that DQing some people rather than get rid of a whole event was the right choice; I’m sorry to anyone that had to be removed from this tournament. Brackets for all the games were awesome and had their own hyped up sets. Thanks you for all the feedback everyone, the next tournament will be awesome. Also thank you for everyone that came out: I appreciate everyone that comes to my events and do these events solely to see the community grow because I love it. Hope to see you all again, new tournament series will be announced within the next week.

Shoutouts:
2: Mister Eric :4rob: $217 - Damn son, didn't think you would get that far. PARTY ROB
3: JT5565 :4sonic: $130 - Fun to watch your sonic, but I feel sorry for all the opponent that had to face that annoying blue hedgehod.
7: Cinatas :4link: $17 - Link still too nasty. Keep up the work with Link he has some really rad stuff in this game.
9: Sai :4diddy: - One placement off of money :'( Get em next time.
9: Rell :4falcon: - I love all falcon players; your falcon is so good too, very fun to watch.
13: Lumi :4lemmy: - Please get better.
13: Crash - ^w^
17: DTJ Hilt :4villager: - When I faced your villager online it was so nasty; surprised you didn't get higher placement, hope you come back with a vengeance next tournament.
17: Casiopea :4yoshi: - 17th, BRUH

1: Drephen :sheikmelee: $275 - One day cincy will be a threat
2: Salt :marthmelee::peachmelee: $152 - Your peach does so many sweet things, keep it up and woop up on CBus
3: Amida :jigglypuffmelee: $91 - Please tell me your secrets on how you beat Marth.
5: Ragu :sheikmelee: $15 - Your better at custom robo than melee I guess.
9: Kel :marthmelee::foxmelee: - Get back into melee, you know you want to
9: Mudkyp :peachmelee: - "Why wasn't I a first seed at this tournament", places under top 8: called out
13: SneakyTako :marthmelee: - Wait how did you do this good, study up on some videos to get your punishes down
13: Papa :icsmelee: - Sick Ics, keep it up they take a long time to learn
13: Chi :sheikmelee: - So close
17: Lumi :sheikmelee: - 17th, BRUH
25: Mr. Ravine :sheikmelee: - Your rising the ranks, stop getting good so fast pls
25: Kaiser :foxmelee: - Happy to see you back :)

1: Papa :ivysaur: $257 - So happy you won :') You worked so hard and came so far even at just my tournaments; hope to see continued improvement from you in all games
2: Fumbles :popo::metaknight: $142 - That set against Drephen was so good: was fun to watch and you played awesome
3: Village Mascot :link2: $85 - Please keep beating up CBus
5: Dr. X:fox::lucas: $15 - Lucas must be freed! Don't let him become a secondary, your old lucas was sicknast
7: Master WGS :bowser2: - BOWSER! Love your day-bou-bou, keep it up with him
9: Snap :gw: - 9th! Damn son, that is definitely your best placement yet. Hope to see it keep going up.
17: Salt :diddy: - You should practice this game some and find a main that really suits you; You definitely have the potential but are not there yet in PM.
25: Rizner :kirby2: - I support the kirby everything movement.

@Amida64 I want to get in some 64 matches with you next time. 64 is so fun and I would like to learn more. Might even run a side event if I time permits at a tournament.

Last edited:

Suidt

Smash Rookie
1: Drephen :sheikmelee: $275 - I'm glad you asked me to explain how I rested you so many times. Made me feel special.
9: Mudkyp :peachmelee: - Bruh I thought you said you were atleast 5-7th in cincinnati yet you cant make top8?
13: SneakyTako :marthmelee: - PJSALT
25: Kaiser :foxmelee: - Fox dittos are fun

1: Papa :ivysaur: $257 - Good **** man, I had a great time playing you first round. I am happy to see you win and the pop off after beating drephen :)

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts!

Drephen - We didn't get to play again. Next time for sure. Nice job taking out Salt.

Salt - Good stuff, brother. I love watching people play against your strange-ass style and seeing them fall for the same crap I used to.

Broverdose - We had some fun matches, dude. I choked my ass off on that 3rd game. Your Fox is awesome and plays similar to Fear's. Very technical and very fun to watch. Thanks for the Fox tips in friendlies, btw. We're 1-1 lifetime now! Can't wait for the tie-breaker!

Dr. X - Steve, you kick ass. Whenever I had a question about the bracket or something, you were within reach pretty much at all times. I think with your help, Collin will be an awesome TO one day. Also, nice placing 7th.

Ted - That PM Captain is real. Forced me off of Roy. Good stuff.

Amida - Our matches were close as hell. 2-0'ed in pools and 2-0'ed in bracket, but every match was down to the wire. I pride myself in the Marth vs Jiggs matchup, so I guess I'll have to study it a bit more for your play-style. Way to knock me to 2nd Seed in my own pool and to losers in bracket. Hope to see you at more of these.

Sneaky Tako - Aren't Marth dittos lame?

Master WGS - ^Same question, lol.

Fumbles - Gotta be honest, I'm surprised you beat Kel. I was prepped for an old-school Marth ditto waiting on the outcome of that match and you took it decisively. Good stuff with the Pika. Also, I didn't get to see it, but nice showing in PM.

Kel - We haven't played each other in, like, seven years. Hope you get back into Melee, but I understand your interest in getting better at Sm4sh.

Ragu - We didn't get to play, either. I'm getting better at the Sheik match-up and I'm interested to see who'd come out on top as I see us as being close in skill.

The Kaisers- I love seeing you come out to these things. Sucks that you guys had to be in the same pool. Say something to Collin or Steve next time. Brothers shouldn't have to eliminate each other!

Team Nick - Out of the Jiggs mains in Cincy, I'd have to say I have the most trouble against you lately. Most other Jiggs I can just swing at and get results, but I have to really think when we play. Good stuff, man.

Mudkyp - I watched your matches with Chi. You probably should have won those. He was playing well, but you were just getting grab-faired to death because of your desperate approaches. Chi likes to stand around and WD back a lot waiting for you to approach (which is a good way to play on his part) and you just kept falling for it. All that said, your match with Amida was freakin' sweet.

Collin - There were a few issues with this event, but all-in-all it was run better than most of the CSR's. And considering the larger scale and attendance, that's a decent accomplishment. Please take advice from Steve, he knows what he's doing for sure. When you're told you're making a mistake, don't take it as hostile judgment, but as a chance to improve as a TO. I'm behind you 100% since you did what no one has had the balls to and stepped up to host these things for Cincinnati. Keep up the good work and I'll definitely be in attendance for the new tournament series.

Green Thumb - Dude, hefty Peach. Mudkyp did a great job teaching you. Incredible potential, keep it up!

Modem - Make it out of pools next time!

JK_ing - Last longer in bracket next time!

Megachuck - You need to be at more of these so you aren't lurking in the shadows as one of Cincy's top players!

TOGP - Glad you came for friendlies, dude! I don't think there's anyone else I get more pumped up for than when I see you!

Fear - Get back in town so I can crush you :)

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts!

The Kaisers- I love seeing you come out to these things. Sucks that you guys had to be in the same pool. Say something to Collin or Steve next time. Brothers shouldn't have to eliminate each other!

Collin - There were a few issues with this event, but all-in-all it was run better than most of the CSR's. And considering the larger scale and attendance, that's a decent accomplishment. Please take advice from Steve, he knows what he's doing for sure. When you're told you're making a mistake, don't take it as hostile judgment, but as a chance to improve as a TO. I'm behind you 100% since you did what no one has had the balls to and stepped up to host these things for Cincinnati. Keep up the good work and I'll definitely be in attendance for the new tournament series.

Megachuck - You need to be at more of these so you aren't lurking in the shadows as one of Cincy's top players!
Kaiser has a brother? Who? Sucks that I put them in the same pool on accident, but I didn't know.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it up and try my best.

Bring megachuck next time! The fierce player has never been to one of my tournaments and I'd like to meet him.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Kaiser has a brother? Who? Sucks that I put them in the same pool on accident, but I didn't know.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it up and try my best.

Bring megachuck next time! The fierce player has never been to one of my tournaments and I'd like to meet him.
Yeah, Kaiser's brother is Nephi (kid with the really long hair). Kaiser ended up eliminating Nephi from entering bracket when they played for 4th seed in their pool.

Also, Megachuck has been to one CSR, I think. He's way old school like Salt, Fear, TOGP and I are, and he consistently beats Salt. He's a beast but also has school and is married. Saturdays usually aren't good for him :(

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I really wish I could have went to this, really curious as to how I would have done. But then I saw bracket pools and I was like okay nevermind. Lmao

The Hoff

Smash Rookie
My points were claimed by someone who is not me. Or maybe they were assigned to that person.

Anyways I'm new to smashboards and idk what to do lol

They were claimed by someone named "Hoff" on smashboards, while I use Hoff in person I have "The Hoff" on here because "Hoff" was taken.

Last edited:

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
My points were claimed by someone who is not me. Or maybe they were assigned to that person.

Anyways I'm new to smashboards and idk what to do lol

They were claimed by someone named "Hoff" on smashboards, while I use Hoff in person I have "The Hoff" on here because "Hoff" was taken.
Fixed

Top Bottom