• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chun-Li Kicks the Competition for DLC 'work in progress'

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Toss my hand into the support box.

Would have preferred either Zangief, Akuma or Sakura. But Chun-Li IS the female Fighting Game icon. The fact that she was planned to be in the base game over Ken before being scrapped all but guarantees she's getting in this fighter pass.

Though the biggest issue that plagues Chun-Li is her outfit and model (though nowhere near as controversial as Mai).

She'll obviously come with one of her stages from China but from which game will be the question?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
She'll obviously come with one of her stages from China but from which game will be the question?
Most likely Taiping Road from Street Fighter 2:

There is also the Great Wall from Alpha 1:

But I feel like they would go with Taiping Road since it is the most iconic location associated with Chun-Li.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But I feel like they would go with Taiping Road since it is the most iconic location associated with Chun-Li.
It also lends itself nicely to cameos, which feel like a natural step forward after King of Fighters Stadium. Seeing all that love for the KOF cast really made the absence of Street Fighter's characters sink in - would be nice to see at least a few of them in the background.

Strangely enough we don't really have like, a bustling marketplace sort of stage either so it would be pretty unique. I wish I could advocate for a stage outside of SFII but there's really no better choice for Chunners, so the music would have to pick up the slack for the rest of the series.

Unless we saw her stage take after Bustling Side Street from SFV instead. Same general idea with a new coat of paint.

1612122796883.png

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
My guess is that they're going to do something similar to Terry in that Chun's home stage won't be represented but instead a stage that represents SF as a whole. Her SF2 stage can be used as the background of her spirit board. As for what exactly the stage is going to be, I predict it might be one of the arena stages from SFV or maybe one of the bonus stages from SF2. SFA2's hidden stages are also likely.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Toss my hand into the support box.

The fact that she was planned to be in the base game over Ken before being scrapped all but guarantees she's getting in this fighter pass.
This does not confirm anything, quite the opposite if anything, though the only apparent reason for her exclusion is development time. And to my understanding the only source on this is a leak

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I will literally shed tears of joy if Chun-Li is one of the final 3.
I certainly hope she is because her inclusion would bring a lot of hype. Putting faith in her chances because of that 5chan leak and they guessed Erdrick, Byleth, Steve and Sephiroth 2 years ago. I feel like Chun-Li will be the last newcomer in Ultimate I will remotely be interested in if she's in as I don't have much faith in the other 2 being anyone I really want.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
I certainly hope she is because her inclusion would bring a lot of hype. Putting faith in her chances because of that 5chan leak and they guessed Erdrick, Byleth, Steve and Sephiroth 2 years ago. I feel like Chun-Li will be the last newcomer in Ultimate I will remotely be interested in if she's in as I don't have much faith in the other 2 being anyone I really want.
Agreed. Lloyd and Yuri are 2 characters i`m not really interested in the slightest.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Agreed. Lloyd and Yuri are 2 characters i`m not really interested in the slightest.
But regardless of me not being interested in the Tales characters, I do think one of them is likely as they were on that 5chan leak with the others and Chun-Li. Even before I saw that 5chan leak I thought a Tales rep was likely even though I didn't wanted it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still betting that Chun-Li is gonna be this years E3 reveal. So many people are overrating Crash's chances so much.

Last edited:

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
But regardless of me not being interested in the Tales characters, I do think one of them is likely as they were on that 5chan leak with the others and Chun-Li. Even before I saw that 5chan leak I thought a Tales rep was likely even though I didn't wanted it.
Well true.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm still betting that Chun-Li is gonna be this years E3 reveal. So many people are overrating Crash's chances so much.
Yeah. E3 would make the most sense to be the place to reveal Chun-Li or Crash because of them being giant gaming icons. And yes, I somewhat agree some people are overrating Crash's chances a bit. I think if Lloyd or Yuri are next, than Chun-Li will appear afterwards at E3. Reason why I think Lloyd or Yuri's inclusion would boost her chances is because of that 5chan leak from 2 years ago that had them, Erdrick, Byleth, Steve and Sephiroth in it. I believe it's real because you can't get that lucky with guessing characters and the right ones too so far ahead of time.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Eh. As time passes, I'm more and more convinced that all the dlc characters were decided ages ago. First there's the fact that all the 3rd party Mii costumes from Smash 4 are evenly distributed across the 11 dlc waves instead of being released with the first 5 fighter passes. This makes fair to assume the amount of dlc characters was already decided. Then there's the weird omissions from the base game. No ARMS music until Min Min got in. No anything new from Final Fantasy until Sephiroth got in.

Considering all that, I do think that Chun-Li is highly likely. I don't really believe that Sakurai looked at the Street Fighter cast then thought "damn, Guile would be the perfect assist trophy". That would only make sense if he already had something else in mind for Chun-Li.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So here's some speculation

Capcom celebrated the SF2 Anniversary on the 6th of Febuarary, yet Sakurai's POTD did not have a Picture to celebrate the Anniversary of the series

The reason this is important is that Sakurai has been acknowledging the Anniversary of Series on POTD. This includes series like Mario, Xenoblade, Wii Fit, and even Undertale, 3rd party franchise

There are Two Points I'm gonna make

-It could be that They might celebrate perhaps the Release of SF2 on the SNES instead, or the release of SF2 in America in Arcades or something, because the February release is the Arcade Release of the game in Japan

-They could be saving the anniversary point for New Street Fighter Character

The 2nd point also goes hand in hand with the Ryu Amiibo theory. yes

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Eh. As time passes, I'm more and more convinced that all the dlc characters were decided ages ago. First there's the fact that all the 3rd party Mii costumes from Smash 4 are evenly distributed across the 11 dlc waves instead of being released with the first 5 fighter passes. This makes fair to assume the amount of dlc characters was already decided. Then there's the weird omissions from the base game. No ARMS music until Min Min got in. No anything new from Final Fantasy until Sephiroth got in.

Considering all that, I do think that Chun-Li is highly likely. I don't really believe that Sakurai looked at the Street Fighter cast then thought "damn, Guile would be the perfect assist trophy". That would only make sense if he already had something else in mind for Chun-Li.
You know, I have similar thoughts as yours as well. I mean, look at it:

- Steve was negotiated for 5 years ago which was around the time Ultimate's project plan was being finalized.

- Banjo & Kazooie were one of the most popular requests in the Smash Ballot back in 2015 which also had a huge influenced on some of the base roster picks like Ridley, K. Rool, and the Belmonts.

- Cloud got in back in Smash 4 back in December of 2015, but he brought very little with only a stage and two music tracks. There was a rumor that Square-Enix wanted Cloud as DLC again in Ultimate and "Everyone Is Here!" Almost didn't happen. I could see Square-Enix allowing Sakurai to only put Cloud in base if he allowed Sephiroth as DLC later and they made a deal. I could also see another scenario where Sephiroth was always a package deal with Cloud as he always appears in crossovers with him. Sakurai might have not had enough time or room to put Sephiroth in Smash 4 so he promised them he would put Sephiroth in Ultimate's DLC lineup later down the road. But that's just my theory. This same theory could also play out for Chun-Li's possible inclusion as well since she appears in almost every crossover that Ryu appears as well. Chun-Li like Sephiroth and Cloud could have been part of a package deal with Ryu and Ken.

- Some of the DLC Smash 4 Mii costumes got promoted into playable characters in Ultimate like the Inklings, K. Rool, Isabelle and Chrom.

Definitely some evidence or signs that a lot of Ultimate's newcomers were probably planned all the way back in 2015 when Ultimate's project plan was finalized. The Smash Ballot playing a big part in bringing all the veterans back and including some of the most popular requests like Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. As well as some other characters like Steve and possibly Sephiroth who were also negotiated for 5 years ago.

I might be going into conspiracy theory territory here, but than again I might not and I'm right on the target on how negotiations went down for Ultimate overall.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Street Fighter Trio.

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Let's keep in mind that E3 2021 doesn't have a lineup yet, it's still dependant on videogames developers/publishers accepting ESA's deal which basically consists of "hey, what if you made a one hour long video about your next releases, put my logo on it then paid me a hundred thousand dollars?"

Edit: also, are there new Crash/Doom games I'm unaware of?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I was playing Ultimate the other day and I decided to look into the music section again and I notice something a little bizarre about the Street Fighter OST. While Street Fighter has almost 40 tracks in the game, literally all the songs are from Street Fighter II or Super Street Fighter II. No music from the Alpha games, 3, 4, 5, ect which is kind of weird if there is the scenario that Street Fighter doesn't get another newcomer in this game. I think all this missing Street Fighter music from the other games will fit in nicely in Chun-Li's Challenger Pack don't you think.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sakurai posted a Street Fighter 2 Anniversary POTD.

"I heard that "STREET FIGHTER II" was released today in 1991. Since it is an arcade working day, there may be various theories. Not only did it build a fighting game boom, it was a monument that influenced a lot of software. #Smash Bros. SP"

toonito

Smash Ace
Sakurai posted a Street Fighter 2 Anniversary POTD.

"I heard that "STREET FIGHTER II" was released today in 1991. Since it is an arcade working day, there may be various theories. Not only did it build a fighting game boom, it was a monument that influenced a lot of software. #Smash Bros. SP"
most days i;m like other Capcom franchises should get their day in the sun and get in Smash

and then there are times when I'm like CHUN-LI FTW 3 SF CHARACTERS BE DAMNED lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
most days i;m like other Capcom franchises should get their day in the sun and get in Smash

and then there are times when I'm like CHUN-LI FTW 3 SF CHARACTERS BE DAMNED lol
I would go with option 2 because Street Fighter deserves 3 reps especially Chun-Li. No Capcom protagonist from a franchise not represented yet I'm remotely interested in except for maybe Phoenix Wright. And the only Capcom characters I want are characters from a a franchise already in the roster like Zero and Tron Bonne from Mega Man and Chun-Li and M. Bison from Street Fighter.

toonito

Smash Ace
I would go with option 2 because Street Fighter deserves 3 reps especially Chun-Li. No Capcom protagonist from a franchise not represented yet I'm remotely interested in except for maybe Phoenix Wright. And the only Capcom characters I want are characters from a a franchise already in the roster like Zero and Tron Bonne from Mega Man and Chun-Li and M. Bison from Street Fighter.
I wouldn't mind seeing Dante, Phoenix Wright, Zero, or Monster Hunter get in Smash which is why I understand why there's pushback to Chun-Li making it in Ultimate as opposed to another Capcom character. Still doesn't change my support for her.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Some really cool art featuring our girl right alongside some of the other Capcom frontrunners. I always think it's neat when they opt to use Chun-Li over Ryu. No disrespect to Ryu of course, it's just some nice validation toward my perspective of "they're both the mascot / main character!"

Also side note, they used the best version of Jill and I'm happy.

I'm pretty happy with anyone from Capcom. I love Chun-Li as a character in her own right - I don't really think of her so much as an "additional rep" for Street Fighter or anything like that. I think on her own individual merit she's a perfect choice and she really stands independent.

That said, I want Morrigan and Jill about as much as I do Chun-Li. One of those is incredibly unlikely though, and the other would probably be my pick for Capcom had she not been disconfirmed last pass. Beyond that Capcom still has a plethora of memorable characters to select from.

That's what it kinda boils down to for me too, I think of CAPCOM as a collective whole more than any other company in Smash. They utilize their characters so well and treat them like a big family, so to me any Capcom character is a victory. It also means that I judge additional characters per series about the same as I would a character who carries a brand new series on their back, since Capcom's characters are so strong and dynamic individually.

I'm just a fan of Capcom, all of it! It makes me sad when people say they'd be particularly upset with one character over the other or anything like that, because I like to think all of these support groups should be friends and celebrate for whichever great character makes it in.

I know that sounds sappy but I really adore Capcom's cast of characters in general and it kinda bums me out when fans of Capcom characters don't seem to have that same "whoever it is, we win" outlook.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So quick question guys, does Chun-Li appear in every crossover with Ryu? I ask because I think Cloud appears in almost every game Cloud shows up in outside of just Final Fantasy. Do you think Cloud and Sephiroth was part of a package deal negotiated for all the way back in 2015 before Cloud was announced in Smash 4 and Ultimate's project plan was finalized? If so, do you think this same cert of negotiated package deal was done for Ryu, Ken and Chun-Li all the way back before E3 of 2015 before Ryu was announced in Smash 4? Or do you think there is something in the Final Fantasy and Street Fighter licensing in crossovers where Cloud can't appear without Sephiroth and Ryu can't appear without Chun-Li? Just some food for thought if no one has a solid answer on that.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So quick question guys, does Chun-Li appear in every crossover with Ryu?
They both appear in a TON of crossovers so it's hard to fact check this outright, but outside of Smash the only other crossover I know for sure Ryu is in without Chun-Li is the Family Guy vs American Dad fighting game (lol).

That being said I don't think this has anything to do with any negotiation or package deal. I don't believe that Cloud and Sephiroth were negotiated together nor do I believe that Ken, let alone Chun-Li was on the table yet when Ryu was worked out. Nor do I think Capcom is strict enough to enforce a particular rule that insists Ryu and Chun-Li must appear together, otherwise we probably would have seen her as soon as base game.

I think Ryu and Chun-Li simply appear together so often because most people would jump at the opportunity to include two of the most iconic video game characters of all time together in their game. And Ryu and Chun-Li are often poised as equally the faces of the franchise, so when negotiating a "Street Fighter crossover" those are going to be the names that immediately come up.

Smash's methods of character selection - being more selective and wanting to spread its reach toward other characters, series and companies restricts this and priorities have simply been elsewhere. The prestige of Chun-Li as a character though gives me some hope that they'll want to scoop her up just like all those other games though, because it really would be special to have her in Smash.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Well there's a chance tomorrow she'll be here. If not, maybe it will be a Tales character which will put a foot in the door for her.
I think tomorrow might be her best chance. February marks the 30th anniversary of Street Fighter II. It would be the perfect time to reveal her if she's in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom