• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chun-Li Kicks the Competition for DLC 'work in progress'

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
According to the latest video from papagenos papagenos , a possibly reliable Japanese leak from 2018 says that Chun-Li was considered for the base game but replaced with Ken. The same leaker also said that Hero was cut and replaced with Sephiroth, but obviously those two both ended up in the DLC. Do you guys think that means Chun-Li is likely?

The video in question:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
According to the latest video from papagenos papagenos , a possibly reliable Japanese leak from 2018 says that Chun-Li was considered for the base game but replaced with Ken. The same leaker also said that Hero was cut and replaced with Sephiroth, but obviously those two both ended up in the DLC. Do you guys think that means Chun-Li is likely?

The video in question:

That was discussed in the Newcomer thread almost a month ago:

Wrong link. Here is the correct one besides the actual leak:

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Has it occurred to anyone assuming she's in that she could be this years E3 reveal?

Just think. Fighting game's first and most iconic female character, I think that alone warrants her such a reveal there.
I agree. Chun-Li would definitely be E3 reveal worthy being one of gaming's most iconic females.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Plus I recall Ryu was an E3 reveal. Be a nice callback.
It's funny you say that because I think Cloud was revealed in Smash 4 back in December of 2015 and Sephiroth was revealed the same month in 2020. That would be ironic if Chun-Li comes the same month Ryu did 6 years ago.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Personally, I felt that March is a month to keep an eye out for a reveal. Since not only is her in-universe birthdate is March 1st (which I don't think is even a factor whatsoever), it is also the month where Street Fighter II: The World Warrior was first released in arcades, which is going to have it's 30th anniversary this year.

That said, anniversaries and dates of significance, usually means absolutely nothing as far as a character's chances in Smash goes. But I felt that it's worth throwing that titbit out there.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In regards to just general Street Fighter love and wanting more content, it's a pipe dream but god I would absolutely kill for Street Fighter EX music in Smash. Probably my favorite soundtracks in the entire series.

Considering these tracks and much of EX's content is owned by Arika I can't imagine us getting any of that with Chun-Li... even if Arika would be more than willing to provide I'm sure. In other words, Skullomania Mii Costume please.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I have enough faith in the Chun-Lloyd leak. Lots of info that turned out to be true and it doesn`t necessarily say Chun-Li is coming to Smash. I'm wondering if it does turn out to be true, there was a reason why Sakurai never mentioned Chun-Li was considered since he was able to talk about Alucard also being considered.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
leak is from 5Chan
I don't have enough salt for how much I doubt this.

Also, a metric ton of anniversaries are happening this year, and no one has any idea which will be capitalized on.

Last edited:

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
If Chun-Li is one of last 3 DLC characters of the 2nd Pass what do you think which stage she`ll come with.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If they're using 5Chan as a source, I'm not seeing them as credible.

Thing is though, this 5chan leak that also had Erdrick, Byleth, Steve, and Sephiroth in it was posted in December of 2018:

Yes, the leaker said they were being worked on during base game and claimed they were scrapped. But he didn't know whether or not they being saved for later as DLC. But the fact those 4 characters all manged to get in 2 years later after this leak was posted makes it questionable whether than throwing it in the trash. If this leak is real, Chun-Li and Lloyd or Yuri could be 2 of the 3 remaining Fighter's Pass 2 characters and if those 2 get in this Pass, I will believe 100% this leak was real all along.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Interestingly, there was a leak from May last year about
certain amiibo that were gonna be restocked:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/360765-polish-retailer-listing-may-point-to-amiibo-reprint-on-the-way
Basically a leak back in May that said certain amiibos will re-stock in September such as:

-Smash Mario and Luigi
-Smash Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and Young Link
-Ryu
-Cloud (both versions)
-All the Breath of the Wild Amiibo
-All the Splatoon Amiibo (except Smash Inkling, weirdly)
-Super Mario Peach and Boo

Cloud is confirmed to getting restocked and so our friends over there believe that he could tie-in to FP7 being a Square rep, but have these kinds of tie-ins ever happened before? :p
The Mario and Zelda Amiibos were related to both the Mario anniversary and Age of Calimity respectively.

The Cloud amiibo re-stock was assumed to be related for something Square related, which turned out to be correct with Sephiroth.

The only amiibos whose reasoning for re-stock are in the dark right now are the Splatoon Amiibos and Ryu. (However, as far as Capcom &/or Street Fighter goes, Mega Man and Ken's amiibos are oddly absent here. It's just Ryu whose getting re-stocked.)

TBH, this could very well mean nothing and it's probably all just a series of coincidences.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
If Chun-Li's in Vol. 2, do you guys think there was ever a plan to do a double reveal with her and Min Min?
Both being Chinese female fighting game reps. There was that whole thing with Sephiroth supposedly being CP6 with that pic. Min Min might have originally been planned for later. That pic could have just been a typo, though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Chun-Li's in Vol. 2, do you guys think there was ever a plan to do a double reveal with her and Min Min?
Both being Chinese female fighting game reps. There was that whole thing with Sephiroth supposedly being CP6 with that pic. Min Min might have originally been planned for later. That pic could have just been a typo, though.
Probably not. I think in a non COVID timeline, Min Min was originally suppose to have dropped in April or March as a 7/11 ad popped up around that time last year. Steve and Sephiroth were obviously suppose to be the big E3 announcements before COVID ****** everything up. So no, I don't think Chun-Li was ever going to be announced alongside Min Min. But it's quite interesting looking at the possible original release dates for the Fighter's Pass 2 characters in the non COVID timeline. Since they decided to reveal Sephiroth at the VGAs in the COVID timeline, it probably means FP9 or FP10 was originally suppose to have been revealed at the VGAs since Sephiroth was likely originally intended for E3. Meaning, one of the 3 or all 3 of the next fighters revealed in the Pass are all going to be big fish since FP9 might have originally been intended for the VGAs and FP10 and FP11 might and still will be revealed at E3 this year if we are having it. If my conspiracy theory is true, we are in for one hell of a ride with the next 3 fighters.

Top Bottom