• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chun-Li Kicks the Competition for DLC 'work in progress'

7NATOR

Smash Master
I assumed you guys came back alive cause Min-Min stole Chun Li's Legendary Rapid Kicks for her rapid jab

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in! They could use her designs from Street Fighter II and Street Fighter Alpha, and they could get Yoko Shimomura to do a Smash remix of her theme.

toonito

Smash Ace
Does anyone have the slightest clue when or where Season 5 of V's roster reveal will be announced? It's been two months now and still no word.
on the 5th

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Dan is back, Rose and Oro are fighting again, a Rival Schools character for the first time, today is a good day.

Although the fact that they're keeping the final character a secret for until nearly a year later is reminding me of the Decapre incident in Ultra SF IV...

Last edited:

Nixii

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NIXI#364
Switch FC
SW-3242-8589-4116
Chun Li would be pretty cool to see, just DO NOT let her kikoken be a charge input, it would work terribly in smash

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If Chun-Li is the next fighter to make it in, Street Fighter would break the record of most fighters represented in Smash by a third-party franchise. It's already tied with Castlevania.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While this might not mean anything for Chun-Li's chances and you guys might not believe this, xenother xenother has mentioned in the past that he has heard from one of his sources that they were working on Chun-Li during base game but couldn't find a satisfying enough moveset in time so they scrapped her. If this is true, I could see her being very likely as DLC especially now that Sephiroth is in and the "No unique non Echo secondary 3rd party rep" fan rule is dead.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like Chun-Li could be the second most likely Third-Party addition from an already represented franchise. With only Eggman being more likely. Perhaps we'll see her as a Fighter sooner than later!
I actually think Chun-Li is likelier than Eggman because of her already having a fighting moveset there for her from Street Fighter.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I support Chun-Li and honestly I think she's probably one of the more likely characters after Sephiroth, people are sleeping on her

Everything about her just makes a lot of sense now that third-parties from already represented franchises are on the table, she's one of the most iconic female gaming characters ever, she has a pretty big legacy as a fighting game character, and she's also strangely absent from a good part of Smash Ultimate, with not even her own signature theme receiving a remix.

I feel like there's a good case for her, and if any third-party franchise were to double up I'd see it being her. But yes, I'd love to see her get added!

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

toonito

Smash Ace

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
Yeah I think 🤔 Chun-Li or Dante are the next capcom rep, or if they choose a villain could be Akuma similar to donkey, Diddy and KKR Chun-Li could be the Dixie of SF. And what other music or spirits they could add?

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Has there been much discussion about the fact that Street Fighter hasn't gotten any mii costumes yet? I think that's a good point in her favor. I feel like there's ton if iconic characters that could make fun costumes and they'd be silly to pass on that opportunity. Imagine an M. Bison outfit, or Vega, or Guile's hair.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah I think 🤔 Chun-Li or Dante are the next capcom rep, or if they choose a villain could be Akuma similar to donkey, Diddy and KKR Chun-Li could be the Dixie of SF. And what other music or spirits they could add?
I think after Cloud Sephiroth would be the most iconic FF7 character. Chun-Li is more iconic than Akuma so I think if we get another Street Fighter character it's going to be her since Ryu and Ken are already in the game.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The lack of Street Fighter costumes are certainly interesting, it can be assumed Ryu didn't come with any in Smash 4 because of the monetary restraints that the team had at the time with that game's DLC budget, it was pretty low and most of the characters they couldn't even afford CG trailers for (The stage was also affected by that which is why the layout is so simplistic with not really much going on), I'd assume Chun-Li would give them a chance to do additional aspects of the series more justice, Street Fighter has a bit but it's certainly lacking in a noticeable amount of areas (Especially given the fact there's only four remixes and only songs from SF2) so with things being looser during DLC it'd probably be easier to license additional aspects, we'd probably get more costumes for example because of this.

Then there's the matter of the Monster Hunter costumes which are still missing, I personally am in the belief those would release with Chun-Li for obvious reasons (Same publisher and all), I think those are ones we should keep an eye on. All of these are interesting things to takeaway from when talking about this.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The lack of Street Fighter costumes are certainly interesting, it can be assumed Ryu didn't come with any in Smash 4 because of the monetary restraints that the team had at the time with that game's DLC budget
I assume it's due to the Mii costume waves having more grab bags back then, rather than focusing on one specific company.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I assume it's due to the Mii costume waves having more grab bags back then, rather than focusing on one specific company.
Good point but honestly I see it as a combination of the two, there was a lot more first-party Nintendo Mii Costumes as well so licensing was probably more of an uphill battle for third-party ones which were pretty scarce for the most part

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The lack of Street Fighter costumes are certainly interesting, it can be assumed Ryu didn't come with any in Smash 4 because of the monetary restraints that the team had at the time with that game's DLC budget, it was pretty low and most of the characters they couldn't even afford CG trailers for (The stage was also affected by that which is why the layout is so simplistic with not really much going on), I'd assume Chun-Li would give them a chance to do additional aspects of the series more justice, Street Fighter has a bit but it's certainly lacking in a noticeable amount of areas (Especially given the fact there's only four remixes and only songs from SF2) so with things being looser during DLC it'd probably be easier to license additional aspects, we'd probably get more costumes for example because of this.

Then there's the matter of the Monster Hunter costumes which are still missing, I personally am in the belief those would release with Chun-Li for obvious reasons (Same publisher and all), I think those are ones we should keep an eye on. All of these are interesting things to takeaway from when talking about this.
It is interesting we haven't gotten any Street Fighters costumes by this point. But they're probably saving them for the Capcom pack whether it's Chun-Li or someone else.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just want to pop in and say I really really want Chun-Li to be playable. More Street Fighter content is definitely a good thing, and I'd argue Chun-Li may be one of the most important video game characters absent from the roster in general.

To be honest, I support pretty much anyone from Capcom. They have so many fantastic picks - Chun-Li just feels right, though.

Top Bottom