• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chun-Li Kicks the Competition for DLC 'work in progress'

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Breaking precedent has been a part of Smash for the past 10 years. Getting a 2nd Rep from a 3rd Party series at all was laughed at as an impossible joke only a little more than a year ago. I’m sick of all these wait for the next game posts, there IS no next game, this is the Ultimate Smash, the last game to bring back every veteran in the series. I want Chun and I want her now!
That's marketing banter. There will be another Smash with almost all, if not all veterans.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
As for her history with Nintendo. Well just say where ever Ryu has been she has been.
Don't know if this has been brought up or not, but it's not technically accurate. She wasn't in Street Fighter III until the third iteration of the game, where as Ken has been in every Street Fighter game.

Still, much love for Chun. If she wasn't yet another Street Fighter character, I'd be fully behind her inclusion.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Don't know if this has been brought up or not, but it's not technically accurate. She wasn't in Street Fighter III until the third iteration of the game, where as Ken has been in every Street Fighter game.

Still, much love for Chun. If she wasn't yet another Street Fighter character, I'd be fully behind her inclusion.
We’re talking about crossovers. Not the original Street Fighter games. Chun has appeared in every crossover, where Ken is seldom used, usually he only appears in crossovers where either a duo system is used like Project X Zone or when it’s all of Street Fighter that’s used (Street Fighter X Tekken for example) rather than an all star Capcom crossover. Case in point Chun has appeared in every MVC where Ken has only been able to appear in the 2nd one because that was the game where they just reused sprites so they literally had all the SF characters there like Dan.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
We’re talking about crossovers. Not the original Street Fighter games. Chun has appeared in every crossover, where Ken is seldom used, usually he only appears in crossovers where either a duo system is used like Project X Zone or when it’s all of Street Fighter that’s used (Street Fighter X Tekken for example) rather than an all star Capcom crossover. Case in point Chun has appeared in every MVC where Ken has only been able to appear in the 2nd one because that was the game where they just reused sprites so they literally had all the SF characters there like Dan.
That's great, but crossovers wasn't mentioned, just Nintendo.
Most crossovers with SF aren't on Nintendo, so the majority of what we have are Street Fighter games.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That's great, but crossovers wasn't mentioned, just Nintendo.
Most crossovers with SF aren't on Nintendo, so the majority of what we have are Street Fighter games.
Smash Bros is a crossover game. Street Fighter being in Smash Bros is a crossover. Smash Bros is the only all star crossover fighting game with Street Fighter where Ryu and Ken are playable and Chun-Li isn't.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Smash Bros is a crossover game. Street Fighter being in Smash Bros is a crossover. Smash Bros is the only all star crossover fighting game with Street Fighter where Ryu and Ken are playable and Chun-Li isn't.
I understand your reasoning, but the initial post only mentioned Nintendo, not crossovers in general. That's the reason I brought it up in the first place.

It's true that Ken doesn't show up as often as Chun Li for crossovers, most being fighting games, probably because his appearance is too similar to Ryu's. That similarity is the only reason he's in Smash, because echo fighters are easier to make than new ones.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Totally support Chun-Li. (That's her given name, by the way. Chun-Li. Some of y'all are just calling her "Chun" and that's not right!) It'd be cool to have another character with Street Fighter inputs that plays nothing like Ryu or Ken. I'm sure someone already mentioned this, but she's the first playable female character in fighting game history. With credentials like that, it's a crime she's not already in Smash!

D

Deleted member

Huh, so it is Chun-Li's birthday. That I never knew.

I am here this afternoon to support Chun-li. Pauline and Shantae are my other most wanted fighters.

I remember playing Street Fighter before but have not played it in years. Even if she is already a spirit (I do have her spirit and will never dismiss her BTW), Smash could use another Street Fighter rep.

Sayonara! :yoshi:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we're getting new characters from 3rd party franchises already in Smash as DLC.
But for Smash 7, I'd love to see Chun-Li, Akuma, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Alucard, Bass, Mega Man X, Zero, Black Mage, Noctis, Blinky, etc.
Though I think we could get Echo Fighters for DLC like Ms. Pac-Man, Shadow the Hedgehog, Proto Man, Zack Fair, and Jeanne.
Problem would be whether they should be prior to the first party candidates, tho. Assuming that Chunli is the heroine of SF franchise and she becomse a Smash fighter, it'd be relatively weird to not have many other first party heroines (Krystal, Mona, Pyra... etc) fight in Smash bros already. I see Chunli a great icon, but it'd be strange for NIntendo to admit that their own franchises are not iconic.

It's same as the hero-villain theme idea, that it's actually not part of the Smash bros main purpose. If each franchsie is given a set of slots like how Project X Zone did, it would had been an easy pass.

Yeah, to be fair, I agree that if NIntendo isn't even able to fill the echo fighter slots which is a much easier task, I wouldn't think they're able to move on to multiple reps from 3rd party.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of course it would be awesome to have Chun-Li in the roster. I think either her or Tails will be the first one to break that barrier if anyone due to how iconic and popular they're to gaming in general.
Both picks are really great!

One of the biggest faces of Street Fighter and arguably the most famous partner in all of gaming.

Both really great picks for Smash!

D

Deleted member

It would be amazing if by some miracle we get both of them in this game.
Indeed!

But as I tend to say: dreams and hopes never die until you decide so.

We need to keep our hopes up, and if everything finally alligns, we may finally get both of them in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Indeed!

But as I tend to say: dreams and hopes never die until you decide so.

We need to keep our hopes up, and if everything finally alligns, we may finally get both of them in.
It would open the door for other characters I want like Zoro, Tron Bonne, Knuckles, Dr. Eggman, Sephiroth, M. Bison, ect so I hope it happens in this game.

D

Deleted member

It would open the door for other characters I want like Zoro, Tron Bonne, Knuckles, Dr. Eggman, Sephiroth, M. Bison, ect so I hope it happens in this game.
Yeah me too!

And It could also open the doors to my girl Pauline!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The fact that Chun-Li isn't that popular of a newcomer choice shows how little the Smash community cares about fighting games.

EVERY Capcom fighting crossover has Chun in it, except Smash.
I think it has more to do with people seeing secondary unique non 3rd party characters as impossible thus seeing supporting the characters as a useless effort. It's stupid but that is the case why characters like Chun-Li, Tails, Dr. Eggman, ect ain't more popular in the Smash community. Expect the popularity of those characters to blow up if that fan rule ever get's shattered.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
late pass but cool Chun-Li artwork from Alex Ahad, art designer of Skullgirls

Top Bottom