• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chun-Li Kicks the Competition for DLC 'work in progress'

Pakky

Smash Hero
Going out on a limb here but amongst others, Chun-Li is one of the most recognizable female figures in gaming.
As for her history with Nintendo. Well just say where ever Ryu has been she has been.

Personal History from the wikia

Chun-Li (春麗 or チュンリー Shunrei or Chunrī?, Simplified Chinese: 春丽)is a video game character from the Street Fighter series, originally debuting in Street Fighter II. The first female fighter in the series, she is an expert martial artist and Interpol officer who relentlessly seeks revenge for the death of her father at the hands of M. Bison.

The Spinning Bird Kick (スピニングバードキック Supiningu Bādo Kikku?) AKA Kaitenteki Kakukyakushuu (回転的鶴脚蹴 Rotating Target Crane Leg Kick?) is one of Chun-Li's original attacks in the Street Fighter II series. It debuts along with Chun Li's other special move, the Hyakuretsukyaku, in Street Fighter II. This move also appears in Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game.[1]

The Yosokyaku (鷹爪脚 Yousoukyaku?, "Hawk Claw Leg"), also called the Head Stomp, is one of Chun-Li's signature unique attacks. In the Street Fighter IV series, the move is adopted by Seth, with whom it shares the same input. In Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes, Yosokyaku is one of Shadow Lady's Unique Attacks, with whom it shares the same input.

Sen'enshu (旋円蹴 Sen'enshuu?, Whirling Circle Kick) is a move Chun-Li has in the Street Fighter Alpha games. It is available only in the Z-ISM and V-ISM modes.
Chun-Li flips into a head stand while spinning her legs like helicopter blades, then slams her legs down in front of her, dealing a good amount a damage. The move could primarily be used as an anti-air, or as just straight up damage. Later in the series, this move turned into the Hazanshu, which is an improved version, starting in Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. In the EX series, it was replaced with Hienshu, while the move itself now a Guard Break/Surprise Blow.
It later returns as an unique move for Chun-Li in Street Fighter V, and can be linked into a combo in V-Trigger. Executed by pressing down-forward and Medium Kick

Kikoken (気功拳 Kikouken?, "Qigong Fist") is Chun-Li's trademark projectile. It made its debut in Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting.
Usually executed by charging backward and then pressing forward (or, in Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike and Chun Li's Alpha uniform in Street Fighter Alpha 2, performing a half-circle forward motion) and punch, Chun Li shoots a small energy ball at an opponent that causes small damage. The Kikoken will not always reach across the entire screen, fizzling out after a certain distance.

The distance it travels and its speed are determined by the strength of the punch button used: light punch travels farther and slowly, while the medium punch moves faster, but dissipates quicker, and heavy punch moves even faster, but disappears almost instantly. The EX Special version inflicts more damage and hits twice, while moving very slowly in 3rd Strike, and much faster in Street Fighter IV.

The Kikoken has changed drastically since its first appearance. Originally a pair of blue-colored Yoga Fires in appearance, it has since been drawn several different ways in various games. Chun Li's pose when throwing a Kikoken also varies based upon the game; to date, there are at least five different poses. In 3rd Strike, she can even throw the Kikoken with one hand.

In some games such as Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, the projectile appears much larger in size. In Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, this move can be canceled with Heavy into the Kikoanken, which is a powerful short range blast that causes a crumple state and allows for a combo follow-up.

The Hazanshu (覇山蹴 Hazanshuu?, "Supreme Mountain Kick"), also known colloquially as the Axe Kick, is one of Chun-Li's special attacks, introduced in the Marvel vs. Capcom series.

The Tenshokyaku (天昇脚 Tenshoukyaku?, "Ascension/Heaven Rising Legs"), also known as either the Tenshokyaku(天翔脚 Tenshoukyaku?, "Heaven Soaring Legs") in some circles, Spinning Air Kick, or sometimes simply as the Up Kick, is one of Chun-Li's special attacks, introduced in Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

Chun-Li leaps upwards and kicks while spinning repeatedly, hence the move's name. The move's hitbox is mainly the area of Chun-Li's kicks, which connect into each other easily. The amount of kicks, damage, and the height Chun-Li leaps depends on the strength of the kick button used to do the attack; weak kick has few hits and small distance, while the strongest kick button makes Chun-Li leap to the top of the screen. It is effective as an anti-air attack and can also be used for combos and juggles. In Street Fighter Alpha 3, X-ISM Chun-Li can use this move as a Reversal only. Chun-Li has an enhanced version of this move which is used as a Super Combo, called the Hazan Tenshou Kyaku.

In the first Capcom vs. SNK, the attack also gains special effects where Chun-Li fires short-ranged energy bursts in her kicking direction per kick. This changes to slashing trails instead in
Marvel vs. Capcom 3'.

A bit of a coup out but all Normals can basically be taken from these videos

Moveset provided by Nemuresu Nemuresu

Jab 1:
Jab 2:

Multi-Hit:

Side Jab (can be done twice):

Up Jab:

Down Jab:

Neutral Air:

Front Air:

Back Air:

Up Air:

Down Air (can be repeated up to three times):
Side Smash:

Up Smash:

Down Smash:
Neutral Special: Kikoken (can also be done with QCF+A/B)

Just like Ryu and Ken, the strength and range of this move depends on how hard you press the button, however, unlike the Hadoukens, the Kikoken will have a shorter ranges at the price of dealing more damage.

Side Special: Spinning Bird Kick (can also be done with QCB+A/B)

Due to Smash's style, I don't want to put charge inputs. However, I'll make an exception for this move. If you use the original charge input (Up, Down, then A or B), you will get a special version that doesn't move around like the regular one, but deals a lot more damage (see Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 or Marvel vs Capcom Infinite for reference).

Up Special: Tenshokyaku (can also be done with DP+A/B)

Down Special: Focus Attack (sorry I can't provide a better picture):
Final Smash 1 (zoning/multi-opponent): Kikoshou

Final Smash 2: (single opponent)

Much like I said before, I mainly took notes from Third Strike to make her moveset, but also for her stage and the songs (more so with the latter ones since it's pretty much confirmed that only the original 12 from Street Fighter 2 will have songs in Ryu's stage). No one knows how many songs each DLC pack will have, so I'm just going to go with 10.

Song List:
China Vox (new remix)
China Voz (original)
Jazzy NYC (original)
Spunky (original)
Kobu (original)
The Longshoreman (original)
Twilight (original)
Killing Moon (original)
Crazy Chili Dog (original)
Psyche Out (original)

By Pakky Pakky which is me

Last edited:

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
i would have to agree! not even a street fighter fan, but i think she would be a perfect addition - most of the female fighters are very unconventional fighters (peach, isabelle, bayonetta), so a real, actual Fighter™️ lady would be a welcome addition!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You bet I’ll support. She’s an absolute legend. Also I hate her inputs in traditional SF games, so being able to play as her with Smash’s simplified controls would be great.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I support, Chun-li is incredibly iconic and deserves to be in Smash.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Support. Maybe they'll even give her 8 unique costumes as a nod to the many she has in SFV.

Not even joking (well half joking at least). I just want more costumes in Smash.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
Chun would be cool. She's a very iconic and well liked character so I imagine she'll appeal to a pretty wide audience.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One thing they should do with her is make her contrast Ryu by having her focus on SFII as little as possible. The half-circle-forward input for her Kikoken would work better in Smash than the charge-back-forward input anyway.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Add me to the supporter list.
I can help out with move-set and ideas for stage and songs since Street Fighter is my forte on that.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I think Chun-Li is extremely likely now that Guile is an assist trophy. I thought for sure if they were going to add an assist trophy from street fighter it would be Chun Li.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, here's what I made for Chun-Li's moveset potential. I took notes from Street Fighter 3: Third Strike to make her differ from Ryu and Ken, and I also made her very kick-heavy, but that's what she's good at:
Jab 1:
Jab 2:

Multi-Hit:

Up Jab:

Down Jab:

Neutral Air:

Front Air:

Back Air:

Up Air:

Side Smash:

Up Smash:

Down Smash:

Just like Ryu and Ken, the strength and range of this move depends on how hard you press the button, however, unlike the Hadoukens, the Kikoken will have a shorter ranges at the price of dealing more damage.

Due to Smash's style, I don't want to put charge inputs. However, I'll make an exception for this move. If you use the original charge input (Up, Down, then A or B), you will get a special version that doesn't move around like the regular one, but deals a lot more damage (see Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 or Marvel vs Capcom Infinite for reference).

Much like I said before, I mainly took notes from Third Strike to make her moveset, but also for her stage and the songs (more so with the latter ones since it's pretty much confirmed that only the original 12 from Street Fighter 2 will have songs in Ryu's stage). No one knows how many songs each DLC pack will have, so I'm just going to go with 10.

Song List:
China Vox (new remix)
China Voz (original)
Jazzy NYC (original)
Spunky (original)
Kobu (original)
Twilight (original)
Killing Moon (original)
Psyche Out (original)
That's all. If you've got any comments or suggestions, feel free to tell.
Credits go to The Fighters Generation (I got Chun's gifs from there), YT user Rickenslacker (for the songs) and The Ice Cave (for the stage's picture).
Also, please notify me if the images don't pop up. Previews don't show them to me for unknown reasons.

toonito

Smash Ace
Well, here's what I made for Chun-Li's moveset potential. I took notes from Street Fighter 3: Third Strike to make her differ from Ryu and Ken, and I also made her very kick-heavy, but that's what she's good at:
Jab 1:
Jab 2:

Multi-Hit:

Up Jab:

Down Jab:

Neutral Air:

Front Air:

Back Air:

Up Air:

Side Smash:

Up Smash:

Down Smash:

Song List:
China Vox (new remix)
China Voz (original)
Jazzy NYC (original)
Spunky (original)
Kobu (original)
Twilight (original)
Killing Moon (original)
Psyche Out (original)
That's all. If you've got any comments or suggestions, feel free to tell.
Credits go to The Fighters Generation (I got Chun's gifs from there), YT user Rickenslacker (for the songs) and The Ice Cave (for the stage's picture).
Also, please notify me if the images don't pop up. Previews don't show them to me for unknown reasons.
great post however your gifs work in quote post feature but not in the actual post

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
great post however your gifs work in quote post feature but not in the actual post
I noticed that. I tried changing some links into Imgur but the gifs still don't appear in the preview. Don't know what's the issue with them, since I've used gifs from TFG here already, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I noticed that. I tried changing some links into Imgur but the gifs still don't appear in the preview. Don't know what's the issue with them, since I've used gifs from TFG here already, so there shouldn't be a problem.
They all will pop in eventually no worries I added it in to the OP with crediting you of course.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Sorry bub, I beat you to this support thread. I made a Chun-Li thread months ago. It just wasn't as thorough as yours. But really I was just throwing the idea out there. With the addition of Ken I think there are enough Street Fighter characters, but then again I thought 3 people from Fire Emblem Awakening was too many and we've seen THAT happen so I guess she's still a possibility. But i'd think Nintendo would rather have Dixie Kong or Bandana Dee...you know, 1st party characters. And given that there are only 5 more spots open for this game, I actually DON'T support one of them going to Chun-Li.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I said it in the previous thread, and I'll say it again: I do support Chun-Li. I'm not mad at Ken as he is an echo (strangely enough, it's the same case for Kid Icarus with Dark Pit) but I really want Chun-Li to throw some kicks in Smash.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Sorry bub, I beat you to this support thread. I made a Chun-Li thread months ago. It just wasn't as thorough as yours. But really I was just throwing the idea out there. With the addition of Ken I think there are enough Street Fighter characters, but then again I thought 3 people from Fire Emblem Awakening was too many and we've seen THAT happen so I guess she's still a possibility. But i'd think Nintendo would rather have Dixie Kong or Bandana Dee...you know, 1st party characters. And given that there are only 5 more spots open for this game, I actually DON'T support one of them going to Chun-Li.
True but neither of ours is the main thread, perhaps all three of us could reach an agreement?

@scarlet solsitce

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Hmm...if I were to pick a female Street Fighter for Smash, it’d be Karin. ;)

Biased opinion aside, I’d support Chun’s inclusion for the sake of her popularity. But she’s just so annoying to play against, lol.

Pakky

Smash Hero
We already have two Street Fighter characters, I don't think we're getting a third.
True and fair to say, however it wouldn't hurt and I'd say its positive alternative as oppose to a 7th or 8th:ultmarth: Not FE an character but a Marth.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Hi, I'm a Chun Li supporter as well, I'd love to have her in Smash. She's pretty much the face of Street Fighter alongside Ryu and Ken

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I support Chun-Li all the way. She`s the first lady of fighting games period so i`m hoping she appears as DLC.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Question is, why would Twitter say this? Hopefully it is not due to SJW reasons like forced female presence. Mai and Chun deserve to get in because of course they are great characters and gaming icons!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Question is, why would Twitter say this? Hopefully it is not due to SJW reasons like forced female presence. Mai and Chun deserve to get in because of course they are great characters and gaming icons!
Sounds like you came up with perfectly sound reasoning, not sure why it seemed suspicious at all.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Chun-Li is my favorite Street Fighter character so put me on the support list please.

We got an endorsement from the official Twitter Gaming Account!

****! Chun-Li, Mai, Dixie Kong, Krystal the girls never get a break when it comes to Smash. It's almost like they're getting screwed over because of their sex. Okay, maybe I won't go that far, but females are certainly often overlooked especially in Ultimate.

toonito

Smash Ace
With Terry Bogard's Rising Tackle set as a charge move, charge mechanics are now a part of Smash. This is notable for Chun-Li because two of her most popular moves, Kikoken and Spinning Bird Kick, both use charge mechanics. I'm pretty confident if SF gets a 3rd character Chun-Li would be the next choice. IMO her biggest competition within the series is Guile and other than his status as a current assist trophy I think Chun-Li would have him beat. That being said with Street Fighter adding Ken to the base roster and Sakurai's statement on adding new worlds to Smash I think Ryu and Ken will be the only playable SF characters in Ultimate. Future Smash titles? anything's possible.

Her biggest competition within her genre are FG protagonists such as Heihachi, Sol, etc. and in her company are Leon/Jill, Phoenix, Dante.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
With Terry Bogard's Rising Tackle set as a charge move, charge mechanics are now a part of Smash. This is notable for Chun-Li because two of her most popular moves, Kikoken and Spinning Bird Kick, both use charge mechanics. I'm pretty confident if SF gets a 3rd character Chun-Li would be the next choice. IMO her biggest competition within the series is Guile and other than his status as a current assist trophy I think Chun-Li would have him beat. That being said with Street Fighter adding Ken to the base roster and Sakurai's statement on adding new worlds to Smash I think Ryu and Ken will be the only playable SF characters in Ultimate. Future Smash titles? anything's possible.

Her biggest competition within her genre are FG protagonists such as Heihachi, Sol, etc. and in her company are Leon/Jill, Phoenix, Dante.
God do I wish we could get secondary unique 3rd party reps in Smash. If that ever happens, Chun-Li will become a shoe in as she is the most iconic female fighting game character in gaming. Her and Tails will definitely be the first two characters to receive this honor if it ever comes to pass.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
God do I wish we could get secondary unique 3rd party reps in Smash. If that ever happens, Chun-Li will become a shoe in as she is the most iconic female fighting game character in gaming. Her and Tails will definitely be the first two characters to receive this honor if it ever comes to pass.
I wonder if Tails will be in the Sonic Movie BTW. Chun-Li has her own movie so it would be even more great for the two of them if they both starred on the big screen for their respective franchises.

I know from the trailers they generally want to keep it to Sonic and Eggman and a bunch of humans, and I don’t need every single one of Sonic’s friends there, but I feel like Tails is probably the one friend I feel could deserve at least making a cameo at the end or something.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't think we're getting new characters from 3rd party franchises already in Smash as DLC.
But for Smash 7, I'd love to see Chun-Li, Akuma, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Alucard, Bass, Mega Man X, Zero, Black Mage, Noctis, Blinky, etc.
Though I think we could get Echo Fighters for DLC like Ms. Pac-Man, Shadow the Hedgehog, Proto Man, Zack Fair, and Jeanne.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I don't think we're getting new characters from 3rd party franchises already in Smash as DLC.
But for Smash 7, I'd love to see Chun-Li, Akuma, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Alucard, Bass, Mega Man X, Zero, Black Mage, Noctis, Blinky, etc.
Though I think we could get Echo Fighters for DLC like Ms. Pac-Man, Shadow the Hedgehog, Proto Man, Zack Fair, and Jeanne.
Breaking precedent has been a part of Smash for the past 10 years. Getting a 2nd Rep from a 3rd Party series at all was laughed at as an impossible joke only a little more than a year ago. I’m sick of all these wait for the next game posts, there IS no next game, this is the Ultimate Smash, the last game to bring back every veteran in the series. I want Chun and I want her now!

Top Bottom