• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chrom Matchups

DerpaDoo

Smash Rookie
I was hoping we could get a thread going about specific matchups and how to deal with gimps, combo breakers, and ledgeguard tactics. This thread I'll start with what I have noticed playing online.

Mario: Fludd is super broken against Chrom. Anytime you are offstage or have to up-b fludd can easily push you away from the ledge and take away any hope of recovering. Playing super aggro can be difficult due to Mario's roll and combos. Make sure to mixup when you decide to jump into Mario.

Dark/Samus: Charge Shot can really limit your ability to recover further out from stage. Fair usually comes out before any of Chrom's attacks and should just be avoided and punished from below with a running utilt.

Ness: I have a hard time winning consistently against Ness, but he can be easily edgeguarded. Any ideas for PK Thunder?

Captain Falcon: his jab can easily gimp UpB in my experience, but so can his recovery.

Peach/Daisy: utilt is great against peach and daisy when they float.

Zelda: can be super annoying to deal with, I always single jump out to contest zelda and try and punish when she lands on stage.

Pichu: combos the hell out of Chrom. It's super difficult to deal with for me.

YL: Has a hard time killing Chrom. Stay just close enough for YL to not use projectiles and wait for dash attack or hookshot while you are close to punish.

GDorf: Super hard matchup. Respect his nair and don't play too aggro when in neutral until he uses a laggy move. Nair his side b and jump over down b. He always recovers low so drop off stage and punish. It's pretty easy to get back to ledge. Watch out for his fair when recovering, but otherwise UpB spike him if he jumps out.

G&W: Watch out for dair spam and don't bother trying to edgeguard. Dies at early enough %.

Dark/Pit: Super hard mu for me.

Snake: always grenade drops with shield, wait for the roll away and fair. Hard to gimp his recovery. Any ideas for dealing with nikita?

DDD: Nair outranges and prioritizes most of his attacks, stay close and space it. It also counters Gordo Spam, just watch out for his inhale. Play defensively and ftilt/fsmash to punish his laggier moves. Watch out for his ftilt and jab combo when approaching.

Rob: Watch for grab combos and kill confirms, respect his neutral B's priority.

Megaman: stay aggro but watch when he is in the air. His fair and bair are super strong and hard to outprioritize, punish after.

Inkling: I usually go 1:1 with inklings, seems pretty straightforward, watch for the roller.

King K Rool: Easy matchup

Simon/Richter: fair or side b against cross and holy water, but watch out for axe mixup. Whip out ranges chrom, so don't always approach when he isn't spamming. Super easy to gimp, but cross out prioritizes UpB.

OVERALL: Getting inside projectile spam negates a lot of zoning character's moves except for Richter/Simon. I think the Marios are a straight up counter to Chrom due to easy gimps and his fast grab.

Last edited:

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
I've noticed with Ganondorf that you can kill him extremely quickly if he tries to do a full powered Usmash or Fsmash. It's not something that will normally happen, but I have come across it. I was playing Chrom and the Ganon was trying to charge an Up-Smash while I was off stage. I predicted the release and used Counter. It got him at 5% and took him to 61% and took his stock at the same time on an omega stage. I'm sure good DI would have prevented the stock loss, but the damage was great and that would guaranteed kill at 30% and on.

Most Ganons won't do that, but sometimes they do try and take advantage of his insane reach and power with those smashes. Counter is an excellent tool if you can clearly see it coming.

Top Bottom