• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chrom Confirmed as Robin's Final Smash and Playable Character

Chromfirmed.jpg

Red on YouTube noted last Friday that Chrom from Fire Emblem will return in Robin's Final Smash in addition to his playable debut as Roy's echo. Characters showing up in multiple roles beyond a Trophy is not a foreign concept as Rathalos from Monster Hunter will be in a boss role in Spirits Mode and an Assist Trophy. However, Chrom is the first to show up in a summonable non-playable role and as a playable character.

Whether or not Sakurai will upgrade an Assist Trophy to DLC remains to be seen, but it shows that a summonable non-playable role, be it a Final Smash, a Pokéball, or an Assist Trophy, does not prevent a character from being playable in the same game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Does anyone know if he still shows up if someone is using Chrom in the same match? Does the final smash replace him with someone else or is Chrom just always there?

Does anyone know if he still shows up if someone is using Chrom in the same match? Does the final smash replace him with someone else or is Chrom just always there?
When Chrom joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of the Final Smash.
Alfonzo: "Time to tip the scales!"

I'm surprised his Final Smash was not changed, considering the large amount of changes that almost every character has received related and unrelated to Final Smashes, even Robin himself.

I'm fine with Robin's Final Smash not changing, personally. It's symbolic to the game - there's honestly nothing better, and we already have a game where you can have, say, 8 Cloud's or Mario's co-existing.

Last edited:
This is probably Sakurai leaving that unchanged out of "laziness". Even Piranha Plant's final smash is just Petey Piranha the same as he was in Subspace Emissary except he jumps around instead of swinging cages.

This could possibly work like how Toon Link is replaced with Alfonzo on the Spirit Tracks stage if Link or Toon Link is being used. So if Chrom is in the battle, what if Chrom doesn't appear in Robin's Final Smash? Anyway, if Chrom in Robin's Final Smash shows up and Chrom is being used by another player, then it could be possible that we could get Mega Man X, Mega Man Volnutt, Mega Man.EXE, Mega Man Star Force, Proto Man, Paula, Poo, Kumatora, Boney, or the characters in Shulk's Final Smash, though it's highly unlikely.

I was already convinced :ultchrom: was a late addition but this solidifies it.

I mean, couldn't they have replaced him with like Tharja for Robin's Final Smash?

This is probably Sakurai leaving that unchanged out of "laziness". Even Piranha Plant's final smash is just Petey Piranha the same as he was in Subspace Emissary except he jumps around instead of swinging cages.
LOL Sakurai is anything but lazy. He probably just think it was a necessary change. It's really not the biggest deal.

I was already convinced :ultchrom: was a late addition but this solidifies it.

I mean, couldn't they have replaced him with like Tharja for Robin's Final Smash?
Unfortunately, Tharja would more than likely raise the game's rating. There's really no way that her wardrobe would be accepted into an E10+ game; she was originally going to have a trophy cameo in Smash 3DS, but was most likely cut to avoid the Teen rating.

I keep telling every person who keeps inventing rules on what 'deconfirms' a character or rules them out as a possibility... Nintendo doesn't abide by the imaginary rules you come up with.

Bad guys can't be in smash? Oops. Along comes Melee with Bowser and Ganon.

3rd party characters can't be in smash? Oops. Along comes brawl with Sonic and Snake.

Characters from games without violence or combat can't be in smash? Oops, along comes Villager.

Characters from other fighting games can't be in smash? Oops, along comes Ryu.

Characters who exist in some other aspect of the game can't be in smash. Oops. Chrom.

So who else is not allowed again? Goku? Because despite the fact that he's been in more Nintendo games than almost any other character in history, going back 3 decade... he's from anime? Welp. Don't be too shocked if that changes some day too.

If Nintendo has demonstrated anything, it's that you can always expect at least one character in every Smash title that breaks all previous notions of what is allowed in a smash game.

Red on YouTube noted last Friday that Chrom from Fire Emblem will return in Robin's Final Smash in addition to his playable debut as Roy's echo. Characters showing up in multiple roles beyond a Trophy is not a foreign concept as Rathalos from Monster Hunter will be in a boss role in Spirits Mode and an Assist Trophy. However, Chrom is the first to show up in a summonable non-playable role and as a playable character.

Whether or not Sakurai will upgrade an Assist Trophy to DLC remains to be seen, but it shows that a summonable non-playable role, be it a Final Smash, a Pokéball, or an Assist Trophy, does not prevent a character from being playable in the same game.
Does it show that, though, person who wrote this? Does it? It shows that a person can be in a final smash and a playable character. That’s it.

Does it show that, though, person who wrote this? Does it? It shows that a person can be in a final smash and a playable character. That’s it.
Note: It does not prevent

It's incredibly important to make the distinction between something not preventing it and something actually happening. It doesn't mean Assist Trophies or Pokeballs will be playable; it just means that it's potentially on the table.

Note: It does not prevent

It's incredibly important to make the distinction between something not preventing it and something actually happening. It doesn't mean Assist Trophies or Pokeballs will be playable; it just means that it's potentially on the table.
No. They’re not on the table.

D
No. They’re not on the table.
So what is the difference between Final Smash and ATs and Pokéballs that makes characters ineligible to have multiple roles in the same game, that being AT or Pokéball and playable?

Come on, Fiora...!

I think anyone with a detailed enough model and movement that isn’t stiff has a shot now. Riki’s screwed cause he’s an AT, Dunban isn’t as detailed as Fiora, the Nookings are in two final smashes instead of one...

Kumatora and either Bass or Proto Man could be other options

Why did they even bother with Chrom if he was such a late addition?
It's just baffling to me... lol...
It's pretty funny though, not gonna lie...

I keep telling every person who keeps inventing rules on what 'deconfirms' a character or rules them out as a possibility... Nintendo doesn't abide by the imaginary rules you come up with.

3rd party characters can't be in smash? Oops. Along comes brawl with Sonic and Snake.

Characters from games without violence or combat can't be in smash? Oops, along comes Villager.

Characters who exist in some other aspect of the game can't be in smash. Oops. Chrom.

So who else is not allowed again? Goku? Because despite the fact that he's been in more Nintendo games than almost any other character in history, going back 3 decade... he's from anime? Welp. Don't be too shocked if that changes some day too.

If Nintendo has demonstrated anything, it's that you can always expect at least one character in every Smash title that breaks all previous notions of what is allowed in a smash game.
Goku not being allowed in the game isn’t a fan made rule, Sakurai said it himself that he doesn’t want any “manga characters” in Smash. Now, he’s obviously changed his opinion before so it might increase his chances a bit, but it’s better to assume the rule is still in place until proven otherwise.

Pretty sure the next rule to broken is the no western third party characters rule with Steve.
Goku isn't happening... Period...

Headcanon: Chrom from the By Book, Blade, and Crest of Flame trailer is the same Chrom in Robin's Final Smash.

The playable Chrom in Smash is another Chrom from the Outrealms. Or it might just be Ruger impersonating as Chrom again. :troll:

This kind of makes me wonder if Chrom still appears in one of Robin's victory animations.

And if in doubles, does that mean we could have the first team specific win pose?

Last edited:
Can't wait to use that FS against chrom then… I really feel there has been some lazyness in the making of some things in this game *sigh*…

This is so weird, I wonder why they didn't just replace Chrom with another Awakening character like Morgan.

Last edited:
Because no matter what, Chrom is such a bromosexual that he'd even fight himself to support his main bro. Or waifu. But let's face it, M!Robin/Chrom is clearly the superior and canon OTP. Way better than the "omg I saw ur turtees wen u wurr nakey in da baff n i fink i ♥ u or w/e ok?" relationship.

Last edited:
Top Bottom