• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chrom Confirmed as Robin's Final Smash and Playable Character

Chromfirmed.jpg

Red on YouTube noted last Friday that Chrom from Fire Emblem will return in Robin's Final Smash in addition to his playable debut as Roy's echo. Characters showing up in multiple roles beyond a Trophy is not a foreign concept as Rathalos from Monster Hunter will be in a boss role in Spirits Mode and an Assist Trophy. However, Chrom is the first to show up in a summonable non-playable role and as a playable character.

Whether or not Sakurai will upgrade an Assist Trophy to DLC remains to be seen, but it shows that a summonable non-playable role, be it a Final Smash, a Pokéball, or an Assist Trophy, does not prevent a character from being playable in the same game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Red on YouTube noted last Friday that Chrom from Fire Emblem will return in Robin's Final Smash in addition to his playable debut as Roy's echo. Characters showing up in multiple roles beyond a Trophy is not a foreign concept as Rathalos from Monster Hunter will be in a boss role in Spirits Mode and an Assist Trophy. However, Chrom is the first to show up in a summonable non-playable role and as a playable character.

Whether or not Sakurai will upgrade an Assist Trophy to DLC remains to be seen, but it shows that a summonable non-playable role, be it a Final Smash, a Pokéball, or an Assist Trophy, does not prevent a character from being playable in the same game.
has anyone thought of the possibility that this could have been faked. I mean, with how low quality the video is, I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't know, man. I don't really see any point in faking this.
Somebody trolling. I mean, that's the ultimate point of it. Fake leaks get peoples hopes up so that the troll can get their jollys when it's disproves. This isn't leaking a character or anything, but even as shown here it "proves" that summon-able characters can be used as full-fledged fighters. It's some asshole trying to figure a new way to get people to believe in their lies and get there hopes up, so they can laugh when those hopes are dashed.

Goku not being allowed in the game isn’t a fan made rule, Sakurai said it himself that he doesn’t want any “manga characters” in Smash. Now, he’s obviously changed his opinion before so it might increase his chances a bit, but it’s better to assume the rule is still in place until proven otherwise.
Perhaps you haven't heard, but Sakurai wasn't the one making the selections for the DLC pack.

I keep telling every person who keeps inventing rules on what 'deconfirms' a character or rules them out as a possibility... Nintendo doesn't abide by the imaginary rules you come up with.

Bad guys can't be in smash? Oops. Along comes Melee with Bowser and Ganon.

3rd party characters can't be in smash? Oops. Along comes brawl with Sonic and Snake.

Characters from games without violence or combat can't be in smash? Oops, along comes Villager.

Characters from other fighting games can't be in smash? Oops, along comes Ryu.

Characters who exist in some other aspect of the game can't be in smash. Oops. Chrom.

So who else is not allowed again? Goku? Because despite the fact that he's been in more Nintendo games than almost any other character in history, going back 3 decade... he's from anime? Welp. Don't be too shocked if that changes some day too.

If Nintendo has demonstrated anything, it's that you can always expect at least one character in every Smash title that breaks all previous notions of what is allowed in a smash game.
I think the bottom line here is Goku isn't a videogame character. He's just appeared in videogame adaptations of the anime.

Last edited:
I keep telling every person who keeps inventing rules on what 'deconfirms' a character or rules them out as a possibility... Nintendo doesn't abide by the imaginary rules you come up with.

3rd party characters can't be in smash? Oops. Along comes brawl with Sonic and Snake.

Characters from games without violence or combat can't be in smash? Oops, along comes Villager.

Characters who exist in some other aspect of the game can't be in smash. Oops. Chrom.

So who else is not allowed again? Goku? Because despite the fact that he's been in more Nintendo games than almost any other character in history, going back 3 decade... he's from anime? Welp. Don't be too shocked if that changes some day too.

If Nintendo has demonstrated anything, it's that you can always expect at least one character in every Smash title that breaks all previous notions of what is allowed in a smash game.
The Goku rule isn't an imaginary one. It is subject to change, sure, but at least it's a valid rule. Unlike assist trophies being stuck as assist trophies until the next game, Spirits deconfirming characters, or my favorite from the Smash 4 days; "Smash is a game about CHARACTERS! Avatars like Miis can't be playable in Smash because they don't meet that criteria. It's ridiculous to take any rule that didn't come from Sakurai's mouth as seriously this community does.

Perhaps you haven't heard, but Sakurai wasn't the one making the selections for the DLC pack.
Yes he is. He was choosing from Nintendo's selection.

Last edited:
The Goku rule isn't an imaginary one. It is subject to change, sure, but at least it's a valid rule. Unlike assist trophies being stuck as assist trophies until the next game, Spirits deconfirming characters, or my favorite from the Smash 4 days; "Smash is a game about CHARACTERS! Avatars like Miis can't be playable in Smash because they don't meet that criteria. It's ridiculous to take any rule that didn't come from Sakurai's mouth as seriously this community does.

Yes he is. He was choosing from Nintendo's selection.
No. He's not choosing from their selection. His input is whether or not the characters can be done. There's absolutely no reason why Goku wouldn't be viable, so he'd basically have to lie to them in order to deny their selection.

No. He's not choosing from their selection. His input is whether or not the characters can be done. There's absolutely no reason why Goku wouldn't be viable, so he'd basically have to lie to them in order to deny their selection.
Don't get so defensive. If it's up to him to decide whether or not they're viable, if it's his word, then yeah, he's still choosing.

I think that when people use the logic of “he’s from anime” to oppose Goku in Smash, their problem isn’t that he originates in anime. While he has appeared in Nintendo games, even long ago, the main issue people find is that he is specifically known for being an anime character. When people think of Ryu, they think of Street Fighter, a fighting video game. When they think of Goku, they think of Dragon Ball Z, an anime. Just because there are Yu-Gi-Oh games on Nintendo systems doesn’t mean it makes sense for Blue-Eyes White Dragon to be a boss spirit, as opposed to other viable choices.

Don't get so defensive. If it's up to him to decide whether or not they're viable, if it's his word, then yeah, he's still choosing.
Please do not troll people by claiming they are being defensive when they're simply having a calm discussion.

Regardless, he's not making the selections. Nintendo is. He's only telling them if it can be done and then doing it.

...I completely forgot to mention Chrom-Mii, too.

It gets even better when you consider F!Robin can be Lucina's mom:

"Chrom-Wife summons Chrom to beat up Chrom-Cina while Chrom and Chrom-Mii watch."

Please do not troll people by claiming they are being defensive when they're simply having a calm discussion.

Regardless, he's not making the selections. Nintendo is. He's only telling them if it can be done and then doing it.
It's not a troll when the person in question claims that I said that Goku wasn't viable, even though I said nothing to suggest that.
If he has to be the one to tell them whether or not it can be done, even though Pirahna Plant is now being worked on as a playable character, then that highly suggests that it's his choice. His choice based on a selection Nintendo made, mind you, but his choice nonetheless.

Top Bottom