• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Christianity and Islam on homosexuality and violence

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
After the Orlando mass shooting (which was not too far from where I lived), my contempt for fundamentalism increased even further. I understand that the majority of Christians and Muslims are not hateful people, but theistic religion in itself presents a problem. So long as there's a god and a religious text, ideas can have absolute authority.

If someone gives their grandson a book. And that books says gays should be rained upon with brimstone. And the child is told that everything in that book is absolute truth. I'm not at all surprised that massacres against gays are happening. This is not just grandpa being old fashioned. This is grandpa setting the stage for bigotry and hate.

I particularly am troubled, as an American. The political left criticizes misogyny and homosexuality in the west, but tends to be soft on eastern cultures which bring those same prejudices into the country. The political right, while being the harshest critics of muslims, they themselves are oro-gun, pro-war and practicing a religion that condemns homosexuality as well.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It comes down to history. Most Muslim countries didn't experience anything similar to the separation of Church and State in Christian countries, and not to mention that most of them still remain undemocratic and authoritarian, which hasn't allowed any form of religion reform to take place.

Democratic Muslim countries do tend fare a bit better, like Homosexuality isn't illegal in Turkey and Indonesia, and Pakistan recognises a third gender (not exactly on-topic, but it's something).

I can't comment on Christianity, but the anti-homosexuality attitude of Muslim countries stem from resistance to any change that can be seen as a Western influence. I believe Saudi Arabia's King himself said (paraphrasing) that it is preposterous to impose Western values and ideals on a fundamentally different culture.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
Christianity hates the sin, Islam hates the sinner--that's the primary difference.

The Christian mindset leaves people vulnerable to exploitation as they strive to maintain virtue.

The Islamic mindset prioritizes identity over behaviour (much like the regressive left), their (unbelievably flawed) concept of morality is rooted in context rather than principle. Virtually anything is permissible when it comes to tricking and/or dominating kafirs.

I believe Saudi Arabia's King himself said (paraphrasing) that it is preposterous to impose Western values and ideals on a fundamentally different culture.
He seems fine with taking advantage of the technological progress which resulted from the implementation of Western ideals!

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Democratic Muslim countries do tend fare a bit better, like Homosexuality isn't illegal in Turkey and Indonesia, and Pakistan recognises a third gender (not exactly on-topic, but it's something).
It might not be illegal, but it is certainly looked down upon. After the Orlando shooting, there was an article published by a Turkish newspaper reading "50 perverts killed in bar".

http://pamelageller.com/2016/06/50-...-countrys-obamaa-ally-president-erdogan.html/

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It might not be illegal, but it is certainly looked down upon. After the Orlando shooting, there was an article published by a Turkish newspaper reading "50 perverts killed in bar".

http://pamelageller.com/2016/06/50-...-countrys-obamaa-ally-president-erdogan.html/
I was talking from a legal perspective. Socially, Homophobia does exist in one form or another in almost all countries except perhaps the most liberal ones. As long as people have to "come out of the closet", it means Homosexuality still isn't fully accepted.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I was talking from a legal perspective. Socially, Homophobia does exist in one form or another in almost all countries except perhaps the most liberal ones. As long as people have to "come out of the closet", it means Homosexuality still isn't fully accepted.
I know, I was just adding my two cents on that specific topic.

Top Bottom