• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chris Redfield for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Do you want Chris Redfield in Smash?

• Total voters

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
First Appearance: Resident Evil - March 22, 1996 (PlayStation, Microsoft Windows, SEGA Saturn, DS)
Who?
Chris Redfield is from the highly rated Resident Evil series and first appeared in the original Resident Evil which came out all the way back in 1996. It turns out, Resident Evil is actually inspired by another horror game called Sweet Home, which came out in 1989 and was also developed and published by Capcom. Resident Evil is also Capcom's best selling game series. The series has sold over 83 million copies and, since then, has had a bunch of movies, comics, novels, action figures, etc. Heck, there's even a Resident Evil-themed restaurant in Tokyo somewhere. That's definitely a place I'm going to someday!
Backstory
Chris was born in 1973 and raised in New York City. He has a younger sister named Claire Redfield, who always seems to worry about him. When he was 17, he joined the U.S. Air Force. And that was how he met, and became good friends with, Barry Burton. He was trained to use many weapons (knives, flamethrowers, etc) and close quarters combat. He saw himself as a pilot, but his senior officers saw him differently due to his personality. In 1995, he was unable to resolve the conflicts of opinion with the senior officers, and he quit. After, he tried to find a position in law enforcement, but lacked in the sense of cooperation. He later drifted to Raccoon City.
In 1996, Barry Burton offered him to be in the special operations unit, S.T.A.RS. He took him up on the offer, and was appointed as point man. (No, not from F.E.A.R. lol) Through S.T.A.R.S., he became close friends with Joseph Frost and Forest Speyer. He also trained Jill Valentine many times a week and even trained his little sister, Claire.
Good or Bad Reviews?
Well, some of them are bad. But, most of them are good. In fact, Resident Evil 5 is the best selling game in the series, selling over 11.94 Million units! Resident Evil 6 comes in second, selling 10 Million, and third place is Resident Evil 4 selling over 8.1 million units! And here's the rest of 'em!
4. Resident Evil 2 (6.1 Million)
5. Resident Evil (5.3 Million)
6. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (5.1 Million)
7. Resident Evil Remake (4.1 Million)
8. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (3.5 Million)
9. Resident Evil 0 (3.1 Million)
10. Resident Evil Code: Veronica (2.9 Million)
11. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (2.5 Million)
12. Resident Evil Revelations (2.5 Million)
13. Resident Evil Revelations 2 (2.3 Million)
14. Resident Evil Outbreak (1.4 Million)
15. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (1.3 Million)
Here's hoping the Remake of Resident Evil 2 can top that!
What is Resident Evil's role in Smash Bros.?
Since there is no representation yet, I'm not really sure. Since I've only played Brawl and SSB4, I did research and found out that Resident Evil has NO representation in Smash, whatsoever! No music, no stickers, no nothing! How can Capcom's best selling game not be represented in Smash?? Even the least bit?!
Why Chris and not Leon or Jill? What would he play like?
Honestly, I would love to have all 3 of them. I feel like Leon has more of a chance than anyone, really. I'm not going to explain why you should want Chris. Whether you support him or not is completely up to you. Chris is my number 1 character for Smash, personally. Anyway, Leon has the biggest chance of making it in. Mainly, because of the Resident Evil 2 Remake and it possibly coming to the Switch. If it doesn't I would be surprised! If they don't get in there's always Dante, right? (LOL) I feel like Chris could be a melee powerhouse for his tilts, air, and smash attacks. And his Specials could revolve around either guns that don't involve bullets (since that could definitely mess with the rating), explosives, or both. So, kinda like Snake but, stronger melee attacks. As for his Final Smash? I'm just not sure.
What are his chances?
Resident Evil is, like I keep saying, Capcom's best selling series. If we don't get a character from Resident Evil, then we're most likely getting the Monster Hunter from Monster Hunter. Chris, I feel like, has the least chances of making it. Leon S. Kennedy has more of a chance than Chris and Jill. Jill would be in 2nd because she's the main playable character in some of the games. And lastly, Chris. Dammit. Like I said, Leon's chances greatly increase if the Resident Evil 2 Remake comes to Switch. Which it most likely will!
What does Sakurai think of Shinji Mikami, the creator? (I just came across this and thought it was funny. Yeah, that's my excuse for making you read this!)
In an 100 Question interview, he said this about him:

"Q58: I’ve fallen in love with a game designer. I know it’ll never work out, but still… What should I do? By the way, their initials are “S. M.”
Sakurai: Ah, it’s Shinji Mikami, isn’t it? You should give it up. Huh? It’s not him? Then, possibly, Shigeru Miyamoto!?"

Also, Shinji Mikami doesn't seem to want to let go of the fact that he wants The Evil Within 2 ported to the Switch!
What's holding Chris back?
Alot actually! Like I said earlier, he has the least amount of chances. Just because I like him, doesn't mean that I'm going to lie and say that he has more of a chance than Leon and Jill. If the Resident Evil 2 Remake gets ported to the Switch, then Leon's chances skyrocket! The most recent game Chris was playable in was Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. But, that was only for DLC. Not the original game.

Supporters
1. MacDaddyNook
2. Ridley_Prime
3. SEGAGameBoy (ME!)

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
If RE makes it in, I say Chris has as good of a chance as Leon or Jill. All three are very iconic to the series. Chris would make a fine addition, I honestly prefer him to Leon anyway.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Can add me too I guess. Chris needs more love. I like him and Leon about the same, tho Chris a little more, and MvC showed he fits well with crossovers, even with the ****ery of Infinite.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think this deserves a big old bump. It's not even in the character thread archive and I was about to make this very thread as a result.

Chris is criminally underrated amongst the fans who think we'll get a RE character.
Whilst I love Jill and Leon whom most fans are behind, Chris is pretty much THE protagonist of the series:
  • Main character of the best selling Resident Evil game to date
  • One of the four main characters of the second best selling Resident Evil game to date
  • Was the character chosen to link the seemingly stand alone Resident Evil 7 to the main series
  • The main conflict with the antagonist of the series, Albert Wesker, is between him and Chris
  • Has more appearances than both Jill and Leon, almost combined
  • The majority of conflicts Claire and Jill find themselves in revolve around locating him
He's also my personal favourite character in the series and one of the only third parties that would make me punch the air with the force of a dozen boulder punches. Resident Evil 5 is actually great, I have no idea why it gets half the hate it does. *shrug*

FelFlick

Smash Cadet
Please add me to the support list. If we get a Hero like scenario where Jill, Leon, Chris and Claire joins the roster, it wiil be amazing!

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Why is this thread so dead? I want Chris so much, people.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

While I recently made a Wesker thread not long before this happened, suppose I should pay my respects to Chris here too. Like Piers, we’ll still be with ya in spirit, captain.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to leave my condolences. I really thought that Resident Evil would be represented in the game as a playable entity but it seems like they got some attention as spirits (Chris and Co.). So there is that. Maybe next time, guys. Stay strong for the rock punching, football driven, Stars leader, Chris Redfield.

*Salutes*

:bowser:.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I must admit I'm pretty intrigued why Chris is gunning down the wives of protagonists.

I know there's going to be a twist and he's not actually turned into a cold blooded murderer, but even so.

The comment about "His story comes to an end" seems to hint at Chris being killed off here, but I'm not sure I buy that either.

I'm half expecting him to have been bitten by werewolves in this one with how insanely OP he currently is punching holes in the monsters with his bare fists and thus he is no longer the same person hence "his story (as a BSAA member) comes to an end"...

...NGL, a Chris that could turn into a werewolf would be pretty sweet in Smash.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I did not realize that Chris made it in as a spirit. I want him in as a fighter, especially after seeing the RE8 trailer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom