• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chozo for Smash!

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Chozo- the Metroid rep everyone will recognize!

If you've played a Metroid game, you've seen a Chozo. Be it the statues that hold items, or one of the ones you fight, or Samus's adopted parents. Chozo would be an awesome addition to smash- and one that nobody would expect.

https://youtu.be/Cq8M4HqAkQ8

-Counterarguments-

"Metroid doesn't deserve four characters!"
Fire Emblem doesn't really deserve 4, but it got 7!

"Chozos are just a generic species!"
:ultpiranha:

"Nobody has really requested Chozo ever!"
:ultpiranha:

"Chozos don't have enough moveset potential to be in Smash!"
Moveset potential is always debateable, and I think Chozo definitely has enough. Piranha plant, wii fit trainer, captain falcon, duck hunt, ice climbers, etc. Moveset potential doesn't really matter, as long as them fighting is possible.

"Why Chozo over any other Metroid Rep?"
Other than Samus herself, Chozo is the only character to appear in every single Metroid game. Granted, it's a statue in most of them, but everyone will recognize a Chozo if they've played a metroid game. Not even Ridley is quite as common! Also, most other possibilities are either boring humans from one game, or large super-bosses that are even bigger than Ridley. There's no way you could put Kraid in smash, for example.

"Ok but why tho"
for the memes
(Mainly inspired by the Chozo Statue fights in Super Metroid, and the fight in Zero Mission versus the wall chozo)
Normals would mostly consist of claw attacks with hands and feet, in sweeping motions based on the direction of the tilt/aerial.

Up Smash: Chozo launches several bombs up in the air, which move slightly upward before landing, mostly in front. The move itself does no damage, but the bombs do.

Forward Smash: Eye rings- Similar to megaman's forward smash, but shooting laser rings from the eyes, and there's multiple of them, only the last of which has lots of knockback. They combo into each other, and go diagonally forward/down in front.

Down Smash: It crouches down into the item-holding statue pose to charge, then quickly closes its claws. Very short range, but VERY strong. Best used for shieldbreaks, due to the tiny range.

Down B: It holds out its hands to catch any projectiles and throw them back. This works kinda like a reflector, but only in one direction. Reflected projectiles with this move actually do less damage than they normally would, and travel slightly slower backwards. However, this move is very fast and has basically no lag, as well as generous invuln frames, making it a great defensive tool in most matchups.

Side B: It reaches forward to do an explosive claw move. Multihit and combos into itself. It's a pretty decent move for racking up damage/possibly killing, but it has a lot of endlag.

Up B: It turns into a spectral from of sorts, referencing the boss in Zero mission, and floats upward quickly. The move has invincibility, so it works like a teleport, but you can see where they're going. (Possibly, it could be holding a blue sphere, and that's the only part that still has a hitbox during the move, to reference Zero Mission even more.)

Neutral B: Okay, this one is complicated. It's "item pickup" referencing how Chozo statues hold the items Samus finds.
Every time you use this move, it randomly holds an item from Metroid, and each item does something different for 30 seconds.
If it pulls out space jump or screw attack, it gets one or two more midair jumps for 30 seconds. Screw attack only gives one extra jump, but pressing Neutral B with screw attack allows you to use a second-nair type move.
If it pulls out speed booster, it gets acceleration on its dash for 30 seconds, which wouldn't affect small distances, but the longer the distance, the better this speed boost is.
If it pulls out missiles, super missiles, morph bombs or power bombs, its neutral B turns into a projectile attack using the weapon... but it just throws it, instead of "launching" it. It would work like Young Link's bombs, except without being able to grab them.
The last thing it can pull out is reserve tanks/energy tanks, which heal it for 10% and 15% respectively.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I will admit, with Piranha Plant putting regular enemies on the table, a generic space pirate or federation trooper was the first thing that came to mind for me as far as Metroid, but a Chozo would be more interesting than either depending on how it’s done. Maybe the Torizo encounters in Super Metroid (Chozo statue bosses come to life) is what they should mostly draw from if this ever were to happen. Maybe have some kind of magic mirror for a reflector like the Chozo guardian in Zero Mission. Can’t think of much else.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I will admit, with Piranha Plant putting regular enemies on the table, a generic space pirate or federation trooper was the first thing that came to mind for me as far as Metroid, but a Chozo would be more interesting than either depending on how it’s done. Maybe the Torizo encounters in Super Metroid (Chozo statue bosses come to life) is what they should mostly draw from if this ever were to happen. Maybe have some kind of magic mirror for a reflector like the Chozo guardian in Zero Mission. Can’t think of much else.
A space pirate would be really cool too, but I feel like Chozos are more recognizable. I actually made a moveset in the OP if you didn't see it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Chozos would be a welcome and cool addition to the roster, especially because of Ridley and Dark Samus finally being in now. Who's possibly next for Metroid at this point in time to get in? I don't know, how about Chozos. Count me in as a supporter for a unique idea of a character. :)

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
OP, you rock for actually making this thread.

The Chozo are freaking rad. They created the Metroids, are responsible for leaving behind countless amounts of mysterious technology, and provide the franchise with tons of interesting lore. I would love to see the rest of Samus' technology that ISN'T represented in SSB to be a part of Chozo's moveset. Imagine controlling a Chozo warrior that uses the different beam types, maybe by toggling them with down-B. Maybe there could also be a tamed Metroid, one of light, that the Chozo is able to summon as part of its special. I'd also imagine a mix of tribal weaponry (with technological flavors) giving Chozo its melee attacks. It would really be unique.

Going the route of the stone Chozo works too, as proven in the moveset already posted.

I always loved the idea of having a playable Chozo and it makes me happy to see I'm not alone.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
OP, you rock for actually making this thread.

The Chozo are freaking rad. They created the Metroids, are responsible for leaving behind countless amounts of mysterious technology, and provide the franchise with tons of interesting lore. I would love to see the rest of Samus' technology that ISN'T represented in SSB to be a part of Chozo's moveset. Imagine controlling a Chozo warrior that uses the different beam types, maybe by toggling them with down-B. Maybe there could also be a tamed Metroid, one of light, that the Chozo is able to summon as part of its special. I'd also imagine a mix of tribal weaponry (with technological flavors) giving Chozo its melee attacks. It would really be unique.

Going the route of the stone Chozo works too, as proven in the moveset already posted.

I always loved the idea of having a playable Chozo and it makes me happy to see I'm not alone.
Most of the reason I went with the Chozo statue moveset is because it has a lot more moveset potential to draw from, at least the way I see it. (I haven't played any of the 3d metroid games yet oops)

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
ehehehe... i feel baby metroid is more likely than chozo (I need to skreeee to people) nah.. not happening, but i give you this.. chozo statues are slightly iconic. not to teh point of pirannha plant... but they are more iconic than say... crocomire's skull (both have actually make cameos outside of metroid)

That being said.. I reallly want a Chozo character in metroid prime 4.. i don't care if he is a ghost, an echo, or a memory.

Most of the reason I went with the Chozo statue moveset is because it has a lot more moveset potential to draw from, at least the way I see it. (I haven't played any of the 3d metroid games yet oops)
oh.. play Metroid prime 1 if you like Chozos... you are in for a treat.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh yeah, Chozo Ghost stuff could be incorporated into a moveset too, between the white electric energy balls which when charged will leave you stunned, along with erratic teleportation, though the latter probably wouldn’t be viable but still, a bit more to work with besides just the Torizo material.

Most importantly though I guess, exists the concept of a rogue Chozo as of Samus Returns which the last bit of the Chozo Memories gallery revealed. Note the smoking arm cannon too.

3F31F398-A144-4EB6-937F-E621AA185E92.png

This rogue who seemingly killed some of his own could be as interesting and notable a saboteur in the future as even Sylux himself, so, watch out for him.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, Chozo Ghost stuff could be incorporated into a moveset too, between the white electric energy balls which when charged will leave you stunned, along with erratic teleportation, though the latter probably wouldn’t be viable but still, a bit more to work with besides just the Torizo material.

Most importantly though I guess, exists the concept of a rogue Chozo as of Samus Returns which the last bit of the Chozo Memories gallery revealed. Note the smoking arm cannon too.

View attachment 179299

This rogue who seemingly killed some of his own could be as interesting and notable a saboteur in the future as even Sylux himself, so, watch out for him.
interesting... never played samus return since i don't own a 3ds but yeah... i hope that is more of a character than just a boss..
I wonder if ridley willl be on MP4? I don't think the game needs ridley, but at this point, i would love if they even got a cue from smash and made him slightly smaller DX would MP4 be avaiable on 2019?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Chozo Statue is a spirit, but Chozo's in general are not.
I'm part of the "if they're not a spirit, there's no chance of them being a fighter" camp, so RIP.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I support this. I would definitely also support space pirate. I actually really like the idea of these kind of generic characters getting a chance to shine. I'd go into more detail about some cool generic character ideas but don't feel that this is the place for that.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

View attachment 179299

Metroid Dread has been announced, and there's a good possibility that Chozo and this Chozo are one and the same, and likely to have an important role.
Chozo in Dread.png

Time will tell if they have any moveset potential, but if they're indeed one and the same, then the arm cannon already gives some ideas for what they might be able to do.

Top Bottom