• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Singing for Paradise Chorus Kids for Smash

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Do you think Chorus Kids were going to be in last time but cut because of similar reasons to the Ice Climbers? Because what if they tried programming them similar to Rosalina and Luma or something; i.e. totally workable on the 3DS?

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
Still, when we’re dealing with Sakurai, we’re dealing with nonsensical and arbitrary. That’s what we love about the guy.
That's....those are not positive words...? And does not apply to Sakurai. I see where you're getting at, turning it around to a positive connotation but contextually that doesn't work. But whatever.

I'll be fine with Chorus Men as assist trophies as long as I get Marshal or someone else equally not boring.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Do you think Chorus Kids were going to be in last time but cut because of similar reasons to the Ice Climbers? Because what if they tried programming them similar to Rosalina and Luma or something; i.e. totally workable on the 3DS?
Now, no one is sure if the "Chorus Kids" were the ones, but there were found files of an Icon for a Rhythm Heaven, implying that a character might have been briefly, but if it was the Chorus Kids no one knows. The only reason people even thought for CK was because of the Gematsu leak. Still, if the Chorus Kids were considered/in developement at some point, of course they would not work if Ice Climbers would not, I'd assume.

Still, it be really cool if the character made it this time nontheless.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
Chorus Kids being the cut character is just assuming that the Gematsu leak was real. While I believe it was real, it's one of those things that simply cannot be believed as true until we get full undeniable confirmation of it without any ambiguity. So you're posing a question with the assumption that something currently not real is considered real.

I don't understand why people think Chorus Kids was going to be a threesome of characters, rather than Duck Hunt. From what I see most people make movesets for them, they're always one "character", and I have not doubt they would be. If they WERE the choice for Smash 4, I'd just guess they were cut for time. We have no way of knowing anyways.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I hope Sakurai add some characters that were planned to be in smash was cut with unkown reasons Im not holding my breath after Sakurai saying he wants Takamaru playable and then he's assist trophy in Ultimate. Well I hope it doesn't happen to Chorus Kids oh Chrom was planned too but Sakurai choice Lucina. Dude I want Chrom and Chorus Kids, Chorus Kids is the face Rhythm Heaven, and Chrom play a big role in FEA.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I personally believe it was the case, but that's only because I believe the Gematsu leak was an early smash 4 roster and that the Chorus Kids were cut due to 3DS limitations. Now obviously as other have mentioned, there is no way to validate these claims. However if all of what I said is to be believed, then that greatly increases their chances of being in the next game. All in all, such a notion only shifts the subject matter of speculation, a fruitless endeavor.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I still think that the Chorus Kids are happening this game. Yes, it's true that we don't have complete evidence to validate Gematsu. Regardless, it's weird to see that some people believe it was all random guesses. The Rhythm Heaven icon was in the characters section, there was an abundance of Rhythm Heaven trophies, and the Sneaky Spirit (alongside the Polar Bear) was the only enemy in Smash Run from a franchise without a playable character. Given all of this, I think it's hard to say that the Chorus Kids weren't planned. There are probably two reasons they were cut: either they were one model walking together but had low priority, or a trio character like Ice Climbers +1 that couldn't work on the 3DS. In my opinion, the latter is more likely.

I've said this before, but Sakurai probably told the Rhythm Heaven developers of his intention to add one of their characters in Smash. I feel that any developer - especially smaller ones like them - would be very excited. For Sakurai to say this, then not add one, then exclude Rhythm Heaven in a brand new game would be pretty disrespectful. We had the Forbidden 7 in Brawl and Bowser/Dedede/Mewtwo in 64, but they already had reps from their respective franchises in the game. In this case, Rhythm Heaven still has nothing. I just have the feeling that as a fellow developer, Sakurai understands this.

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Good point on the developer matter, especially with the disrespectful point. If CK are excluded somehow in this game, I will be kinda upset.
Thanks. Pretty surprised that more people don't think about the developer point. My guess is that Sakurai told them that it wasn't going to happen in Smash 4, but he'd try to make them a thing for the next game. Still wondering how it's going to look when 24 Chorus Kids are on the screen in 8-player Smash.

Also, I highly doubt that all the newcomers in this game are going to be top-rank ballot picks. Just another reason to consider them lol.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I don't even think it would have to boil down to respect in that regard. Sakurai has said previously that he likes to add (I paraphrase) "unique fighters that he can imagine a powerful dance in his head." If the character was conceptualized but had to be cut due to restrictions, I doubt he would drop the idea completely. So adding the character wouldn't just be a obligation but also should have some form of artistic fulfillment.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
True, I was actually going to make that point in my OP. All the newcomers in Smash 4 had "themes" according to Sakurai's pre-development document. In this case, Chorus Kids would be extremely unique. We've never had a trio character in a fighting game before (fighters like Pokemon Trainer/Duck Hunt or Triborg in MKX don't count). There's also the possible rhythm gimmick.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Oh boy, here comes speculation again.
Write me down as a supporter for these little guys.
While on the topic of newcomers, Sakurai did say that the main objective behind this new smash was to make this game to appeal and make everyone happy, give the whole "everyone is here", but that doesn't mean that he's not going to add in some representation for a series he personally enjoys or finds interesting.
Especially after the sneaky spirits and (I think) a few tracks made it into Smash 3DS.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Oh boy, here comes speculation again.
Write me down as a supporter for these little guys.
While on the topic of newcomers, Sakurai did say that the main objective behind this new smash was to make this game to appeal and make everyone happy, give the whole "everyone is here", but that doesn't mean that he's not going to add in some representation for a series he personally enjoys or finds interesting.
Especially after the sneaky spirits and (I think) a few tracks made it into Smash 3DS.
well the thing about fan service is that every character has its fan base, some fans are just more vocal or persistent. The problem with catering to these fans alone is that you miss a large part of your fan base that is either more casual or quiet about their characters. This is why I would argue that Sakurai has always maintained a mix of representation in smash.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So looking over the Smash Run enemies, disregarding the Subspace Emissary ones and seeing Namco & Find Mii ones as Pacman and Mii's franchises, Rhythm Heaven was the SOLE franchise rep that was put in despite having no playable character.

Just... We were that close to getting something last time! :p

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Rhythm Heaven Megamix for my 3DS. I support!

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
well the thing about fan service is that every character has its fan base, some fans are just more vocal or persistent. The problem with catering to these fans alone is that you miss a large part of your fan base that is either more casual or quiet about their characters. This is why I would argue that Sakurai has always maintained a mix of representation in smash.
I totally agree with you on that, but I'm saying there's a reason why we still receive characters such as Duck Hunt and to some lesser extent, the echo fighters.
Sakurai will try to make people happy through popular characters, or see if he can add characters that appeal to the fanbase (such as Lucina and Daisy which people did request) or characters that would make for an interesting moveset despite there not being too much demand, like the classic reps.
Obviously, this isn't exactly concrete reasoning, because some of his choices you can't predict.
If Sakurai wants to add a character into the game, they'll be in there just because he wanted them and/or believe they deserve representation.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Yeah I get it, I guess what I was trying to get at (and failed to) is that even though the Chorus Kids support seems to be from a since of obligation or desire from the creator, They (and more importantly Rythm Heaven as a whole) does have a respectable fanbase. Sakurai may see that as well and use that to validate his hypothetical decision to add them in the game. Things like sales numbers and statistics do matter. it's just that they are only a part of the factoring piece of selecting character. So I agree with what you're saying, I think we are just saying it in different ways.

Jonofunu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jonofunu
3DS FC
0516-7588-9474
As for representing the series on a larger scale, Chorus Kids are not only musical characters by nature (RH is all about music!) they can also very easily adopt a variety of minigames into their movesets on account of them both being largely blank slates and also being a trio of characters. RH minigames are often done in groups, where you'll have to repeat, chain, or work in tandem with two or three other characters. So a group of characters does a pretty great job of representing that very important aspect of the series.

I think Chorus Kids would be really fun and represent the series extremely well, it just took the leak to help people realize that. Not that anyone who doesn't already agree with this is going to listen to me.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
So just out of curiosity, how would you guys like the trio to appear in the game? As they are in the base game, 2D or in a new 3D model? with Marshall's rosy cheeks to have more color, etc.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
So just out of curiosity, how would you guys like the trio to appear in the game? As they are in the base game, 2D or in a new 3D model? with Marshall's rosy cheeks to have more color, etc.
I'd personally prefer 3D models. I could see their overall gimmick being a trio character like Ice Climbers +1, and the more Chorus Kids you have, the more powerful your attacks are. I do think that the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run was 2D though, so maybe that's how they were meant to be implemented.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Why is the title of this thread giving me Chills?
Also the urge to say; "Number 15 ..."

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I'd personally prefer 3D models. I could see their overall gimmick being a trio character like Ice Climbers +1, and the more Chorus Kids you have, the more powerful your attacks are. I do think that the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run was 2D though, so maybe that's how they were meant to be implemented.
I would prefer if they were 2D to give them the distinction of Rhythm Heaven's own art style compared to the rest of the roster. (And like you said about the sneaky spirits, I'm thinking that was the idea.)
However, I'm also partial to the idea that Mr. G&W should be the only one who has that, and it would be interesting to see custom models for the three and maybe some Rhythm Heaven trophies and how it'd translate over.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I saw someone at the Source Gaming Discord mention that the Chorus Kids remind them of the Rabbids. I got so mad for a second, but that is actually sorta true.

I kinda wanna see Rabbids as an echo of CK now. lol

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I saw someone at the Source Gaming Discord mention that the Chorus Kids remind them of the Rabbids. I got so mad for a second, but that is actually sorta true.

I kinda wanna see Rabbids as an echo of CK now. lol
After Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, I honestly would not be opposed to having Rabbids in the roster.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Rhythm Heaven is one of my favorite video game series' ever, and a representative from it is my most wanted character this time around. I would prefer Chorus Kids to get in over any other rep due to their quirky design which I feel fits Rhythm Heaven best, but I'd really take any character from the franchise. I feel like a Rhythm Heaven character is really likely this time, so I'm super excited! Let's just hope the Chorus Kids don't suffer the same fate as the anonymous 4channer!

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I've been playing through Megamix recently and given the amount of different games, there's a lot to choose from to represent Rhythm Heaven. So I want to throw out a fun question:
What would you want their home stage to be?
I'd think Sneaky Spirits or Airboarders would be fun, as you'd be dodging the arrows while fighting or could go/land into the house as it has a decorated interior already shown off, while with the later you could be avoiding the riders or their boards serve as a platform as you avoid the obstacles.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I've been playing through Megamix recently and given the amount of different games, there's a lot to choose from to represent Rhythm Heaven. So I want to throw out a fun question:
What would you want their home stage to be?
I'd think Sneaky Spirits or Airboarders would be fun, as you'd be dodging the arrows while fighting or could go/land into the house as it has a decorated interior already shown off, while with the later you could be avoiding the riders or their boards serve as a platform as you avoid the obstacles.
I think the most likely stage would be something similar to Warioware from brawl. It could start in a challenge train car or something and move to different games as time goes on. I personally would like a stage based on the rhythm heaven from the games. Hazards like sneaky spirits could fly in to spice up the battle.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I didn't see yours oops. Considering they both have mini games, a stage like that is very likely
I actually forgot about WarioWare Inc. But yeah I could see that now, The Challenge Train would be an interesting stage that could homage the more popular mini-games that may not get in the spotlight in terms of moveset or tracks.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the Chorus Kids are my Waluigi of Smash. I will be so upset when they are not in Smash (unless another very unique and cool Rhythm Heaven rep is in). I feel like Rhythm Heaven characters have so much potential, they are the biggest Nintendo franchise not in Smash yet, and the character designs are just sooo nice. But I'm scared. I'm scared Sakurai looked too much at the Ballot. And that the Chorus Kids / another RH rep isn't in top regions. We will get characters like King K. Rool then. That's cool, but I'm scared we lose our last possibility for the super unique Chorus Kids. While I love fanservice, I think it's actually fanservice too to put Chorus Kids in.

If they are in, when do you think they will reveal them?

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I feel like the Chorus Kids are my Waluigi of Smash. I will be so upset when they are not in Smash (unless another very unique and cool Rhythm Heaven rep is in). I feel like Rhythm Heaven characters have so much potential, they are the biggest Nintendo franchise not in Smash yet, and the character designs are just sooo nice. But I'm scared. I'm scared Sakurai looked too much at the Ballot. And that the Chorus Kids / another RH rep isn't in top regions. We will get characters like King K. Rool then. That's cool, but I'm scared we lose our last possibility for the super unique Chorus Kids. While I love fanservice, I think it's actually fanservice too to put Chorus Kids in.

If they are in, when do you think they will reveal them?
I feel the same way. Rhythm Heaven deserves a character this time around, but the focus on the ballot makes me much less certain of their chances. I believe they still have a very decent shot though, even more than Ashley. I believe that they were only cut from Smash 4 due to time constraints, and considering they were the only series to have an enemy in smash run and not a character, the series was still on the mind of Sakurai after their exclusion. I think this time we have good reason to believe they will be in. Megamix released in 2015 and performed really well in Japan, so I would think if Sakurai had considered them before, he would definitely be considering them now. On top of that, they are a brand new IP for Smash, something that I think Sakurai would like to prioritize over other newcomers that already have their series represented. I wouldn't get your hopes down just yet. Anyway, we haven't seen any assist trophies or music from the series, which it would definitely have if we didn't get a playable rep.

Regarding their reveal, I think if we're going to have secret newcomers not revealed until the game's release, they would be one of them.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I still doubt that Sakurai will ignore Rhythm Heaven and not add a rep after probably telling the developers they’d get one in SSB4. Confident that it’s the Chorus Kids, and I hope that it is. In my eyes, picking someone like Karate Joe or the Wrestler is so...bleh. I know a lot of people do that for the sake of the rep looking like a “fighter”. No disrespect, but the Chorus Kids can do everything those two can do and more. A bunch of the minigames in RH involve trios anyway.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I like Chorus Kids as the Rhythm Heaven representative more because they are unconventional and weird characters. Being able to play as a group of choir kids is more appealing to me than the other choices like Karate Joe and Wrestler.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Lately been revisiting Rhythm Heaven, and it's still as fun as ever. I dearly hope for RH-reps for this one now that I've rekindled my love for the series again.

Throw me in as a Supporter - I'll try to hop on board with Joe as well, I think he's as iconic to the series, and any rep's fine for me.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I feel the same way. Rhythm Heaven deserves a character this time around, but the focus on the ballot makes me much less certain of their chances. I believe they still have a very decent shot though, even more than Ashley. I believe that they were only cut from Smash 4 due to time constraints, and considering they were the only series to have an enemy in smash run and not a character, the series was still on the mind of Sakurai after their exclusion. I think this time we have good reason to believe they will be in. Megamix released in 2015 and performed really well in Japan, so I would think if Sakurai had considered them before, he would definitely be considering them now. On top of that, they are a brand new IP for Smash, something that I think Sakurai would like to prioritize over other newcomers that already have their series represented. I wouldn't get your hopes down just yet. Anyway, we haven't seen any assist trophies or music from the series, which it would definitely have if we didn't get a playable rep.

Regarding their reveal, I think if we're going to have secret newcomers not revealed until the game's release, they would be one of them.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I'm sure the only way they'd receive some trailer like Duck Hunt did that came after release, or if Ashley became a newcomer and they were both grouped in the same trailer. (I mean they did pop in a WarioWare game so..)
Otherwise, I think it'd be neat for them to be the surprise entry alongside a possible retro rep if we get one.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I'm sure the only way they'd receive some trailer like Duck Hunt did that came after release, or if Ashley became a newcomer and they were both grouped in the same trailer. (I mean they did pop in a WarioWare game so..)
Otherwise, I think it'd be neat for them to be the surprise entry alongside a possible retro rep if we get one.
I really like that idea about the Ashley and Chorus Kids crossover trailer. The Ashley thread has already been suggesting that Ashley's trailer could be done in the signature Warioware art style, and considering they both share it, I could definitely see that happening. If they both get in (which I think is likely) that's probably how they would be revealed.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I'm not sure if this is appropriate for discussion, but has there been many "leaks" so far that reference the Chorus Kids?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this is appropriate for discussion, but has there been many "leaks" so far that reference the Chorus Kids?
I'm not sure. I know there was one that had Karate Joe, but it was probably fake. I really don't trust any leaks right now. The most credible one is Vergeben, and I even doubt that one's credibility. I don't think we should really look I to leaks right now. I just looked up "Smash Ultimate leaks" and a brand new 4chan leak popped up. They are coming in crazy fast.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
None that I know of, but there’s a voice actor listed for them in IMDB. The same guy is listed under “special thanks” alongside Kojima and a few others. Most definitely fake, but that’s the closest I’ve seen to a “leak” so far.

Would be nice if we could get at least one to discuss that’s not Simon Belmont lol

Top Bottom