Chorus Kids for Smash Ultimate! - Reggie: "New to the Series" (Big HMMMM...)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Game Debut: Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo DS July 31, 2008)

Rhythm Heaven is among one of the biggest Nintendo franchises in Japan. Ever since the franchise's late debut on the Gameboy Advance's life cycle in 2006, the franchise has gained a large, Japanese fanbase. It continued to grow bigger with the debut of the sequel Rhythm Heaven on the Nintendo DS in 2008. Due to the success of the first game in Japan, the sequel managed to receive a global localization. The DS iteration managed to sell over 3 million units total, which marked the peak of the franchise. Rhythm Heaven continued to perform greatly with the Wii sequel (Rhythm Heaven Fever) and the 3DS sequel (Rhythm Heaven: Megamix).

The cult fanbase for Rhythm Heaven outside of Japan grew greatly around the time of Fever, spawning hundreds of fan-remixes and memes on YouTube thanks to the mini-game of Ringside. The dedication of Rhythm Heaven fan-content still happens to this day. With all of the fan-content and Japan success, you would think a Rhythm Heaven character would get in Smash by now. Well, not exactly, but there is a ray of hope that a RH character was planned way back in Smash 4.

Before E3 2014 came, there was a Gematsu leak that would leak a second batch of newcomers for the roster. One of these choices were the Chorus Kids. Since the leak, there have been many debates and controversy on the inclusion of Chorus Kids. The negative reception soon spread like wildfire once they were not present in Smash 4's base game and DLC selection. With such reception, the Smash fanbase soon grew silent on the possibility of Chorus Kids, even in Smash Switch speculation to this day.

But, ever since that leak came, there has been a growing amount of supporters for multiple Rhythm Heaven characters in general. Fan-content would soon multiply thereafter. Thanks to the leak, a bigger Rhythm Heaven fanbase outside of Japan soon sprouted. With Smash Switch nearby, perhaps now would be the best time to include a Rhythm Heaven character!

I am of the specific camp that believes the Gematsu Leak was the original roster draft for Smash 4 before changes got made due to 3DS limitations or moveset potential matters (Robin chosen over Chrom for example). I also believe that due to 3DS limitations, it kept ‘duo’ characters like Chorus Kids and Ice Climbers from getting in the game. With the hidden files of a Rhythm Heaven symbol and Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run, it all points to Chorus Kids’ potential inclusion in Smash.

Sakurai already sees merit in Rhythm Heaven getting a character. The main question is mostly if technical difficulties will become an issue again. I doubt it will this time. I also highly doubt that any other character from RH would get in. Because if there were going to be a RH character, Sakurai would have chosen another candidate like Karate Man to be in Smash 4 by now. The lack of a RH character in Smash 4’s base game and DLC selection suggests to me that Sakurai wants to keep the character idea of Chorus Kids and try to make them work in the Switch version of Smash this time around.

I personally think a Rhythm Heaven character is an inevitability, with Chorus Kids as the most likely candidate chosen to represent RH as a whole. With Rhythm Heaven’s staggering popularity/impact/sales during the DS era, the mini-games that gained a huge amount of parodies in meme culture, and the recent release of Rhythm Heaven Megamix that would tie in well for a promotion while the 3DS remains highly marketed by Nintendo, now would be BEST time to include them.

*Thanks to Jigglystep Jigglystep for doing the second half of this OP way back in Smash 4 DLC. Some of the content is updated, specifically the argument section to keep up with their current situation for Smash Switch.

Who are the Chorus Kids?:
The Chorus Kids are a trio of choir singers from one of the most well known mini-games in the Rhythm Heaven franchise, Glee Club. In the game, the player takes control of the third chorus member and is tasked with singing in rhythm with the other two Chorus Kids to a jazzy tune. Sounds simple in concept, right? Give it a watch.

WHAT WOULD THE CHORUS KIDS OFFER TO SMASH?
As the Rhythm Heaven series is entirely based on keeping the beat to succeed, the Chorus Kids would take this into account with their moveset. A unique rhythm-based character would definitely be a first for Smash Bros. franchise and isn't an incredibly farfetched concept considering Marth's side special, Dancing Blade, requires you to keep a steady beat of the B button to fully execute. The Chorus Kids could easily utilize objects from the many wacky minigames in Rhythm Heaven in a similar fashion to Mr. Game and Watch to convey such a moveset.

WHAT MAKES THE CHORUS KIDS THE BEST RHYTHM HEAVEN REPRESENTATIVE?
When thinking of Rhythm Heaven, there are a handful of recognizable characters that come to mind; Karate Joe, the Wrestler, the Rhythm Girl. The Chorus Kids are among these faces of the series with their popularity and usage in Rhythm Heaven media, which alone puts them in a good position to represent it. But what sets them apart from these other iconic characters?

Popularity aside, another large factor in becoming a character in Smash Bros. is the ability to effectively portray the character's series, and the Chorus Kids do just that. Visually, the Chorus Kids are a great neutral looking character that wouldn't look out of place pulling out any of the random objects from the series for their moveset, be it a tambourine, a badminton racket, or a miniature rocket ship. They also have the trio aspect going for them, which would allow for some creative ways to implement rhythm-based attacks and the ability to base certain moves on the trio/group minigames throughout the series such as Clappy Trio and Tap Troupe.

Potential Movesets:

Up-B - See-Saw: Upon activating the move, a see-saw appears beneath the Chorus Kids and the two back Kids imitate the "ee-ooh" sound from See-Saw then jump up. Right as they land, pressing B again in rhythm enables the main Kid to launch even higher; he should imitate the "uh-oom" sound if timed correctly. At the peak of the jump, the see-saw disappears in a puff of smoke and the other two Chorus Kids appear next to the main one. (this move also grants superarmor so it can't be interrupted)

Side-B - Karate Man: This move has relatively quick startup time, instantly making the sound effect of a thrown pot from Karate Man as a pot is hurled towards the front Chorus Kid. If you successfully time your punch, it gets launched a moderate distance and a second pot is thrown at the second Kid. If you successfully time this punch, a rock will be thrown at the third kid, which when launched, deals great damage and good knockback. This move would be similar to Marth's Dancing Blade, since if you mess up the rhythm you won't be able to fully execute the three projectiles.

Neutral-B - Glee Club: This special would function virtually identical to the minigame from Rhythm Heaven DS; once activated, B would need to be held to keep the main Chorus Kid's yap closed. The first two Kids would let out their "AAH"s in rhythm like at this point in the video, then releasing B with perfect timing for the third AAH would cause their harmonious yelp to increase in loudness, creating a much larger hitbox radius that extends out pretty far in front and behind the singers. This move would have very high knockback if your timing is perfect, making for quite the appropriate finisher move for the Chorus Kids if used strategically or for edgeguarding.

Arguments:
Common arguments against the inclusion of the Chorus Kids.

WHO? THE CHORUS KIDS? UGH, ANOTHER POINTLESS SUPPORT THREAD.
Oh, contraire. The Chorus Kids are notable characters from Rhythm Heaven, starring in a minigame called Glee Club. Although it's simply one minigame among many, the Chorus Men and Glee Club have become recognizable through the web, spawning multiple parodies. The character Marshal in Rhythm Heaven Fever is said to be inspired by the cute little singers.

ALRIGHT, SO WHY DO THEY DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH BROS?
There are many reasons why these guys can warrant a slot among Nintendo's best. Rhythm Heaven is quite a popular franchise, so it's certainly not out of the question for the series to receive a character (in this case, characters). There are other characters that can fit this role (Karate Joe, Marshal, Wrestler), but The Chorus Kids concept is quite intriguing. Using rhythm based attacks, the threesome can hit the opponents with killer high notes unlike anything we've ever seen or heard in Smash Bros thus far. Not to mention that the characters are somewhat memetic, and are recognizable and popular not by name, but by design.

MARSHALL IS THE MAIN CHARACTER, WHY PICK THE CHORUS KIDS?
This is actually a misconception. Marshall has only appeared in one of the Rhythm Heaven games (Fever on the Wii). While he appears as the mascot in that game, it's still only one of the three games. Even then, many misidentify Marshall as one of the Chorus Kids. Marshall, however, does not have the bowtie, has permanent blush, and has a differently-shaped head. Probably the most evident difference is that the Chorus Kids lack fingers, while Marshall has them.

But why them over Marshall in particular? Well, the Chorus Kids are arguably a better representation of what Rhythm Heaven is all about. With three characters, keeping rhythm would be essential. There's also the fact that many minigames in the series involve group cohesion, which the Chorus Kids would express effortlessly.

GEMATSU WAS WRONG. THE CHORUS KIDS ARE OUT!
The leak has shown evidence of not being wrong, but simply outdated. Comparable to the X and Y leak, really. Some information (i.e., everything that went wrong on July 14th) was wrong, but it may have been gathered from a very early development stage. Hence why "X and Y Pokemon" wasn't decided on, or why Chrom was passed up for Robin. After all, getting everything else right, including naming the Mii Fighters and leaking the Wii Fit Trainer, is highly improbable to be mere guesswork. So no, the Chorus Kids are most definitely not out of the running.

BUT THE ICE CLIMBERS LOOK TO BE CUT! IF THEY HAD TROUBLE, WHY WOULD THEY ADD A TRIO? HMMM?
With 3DS limitations likely no longer being an issue for the Switch version, the idea of a Chorus Kids trio will likely be re-implemented again for Smash Switch. The only case where I could see them being cut is if 8-Player Smash returns and running the characters on that mode became a nightmare. But at this point, I doubt that will happen.

NO RHYTHM HEAVEN COMPOSERS ARE LISTED IN THE BIG LIST OF COMPOSERS. SINCE IT'S A MUSICAL FRANCHISE, THIS MEANS THEY'RE OUT! OBVIOUSLY!
This takes only a really simple explanation. The list was only of composers for new music, not ported music. Notice the lack of Koji Kondo. Perhaps the Rhythm Heaven music was seen as too perfect to tamper with, and as such, it's all ported. This isn't a confirmation or disconfirmation one way or another.

Signature:

Supporters:
1. BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
2. Grieving Aussie Grieving Aussie
3. GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741
4. AvionFinch AvionFinch
5. Z25 Z25
6. N NastCF
7. Honest Slug Honest Slug
8. FamicomDisk FamicomDisk
9. Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan
10. NintenZ NintenZ
11. Souless_shadow Souless_shadow
12. Esquelen Esquelen
13. Angelglory Angelglory
14. xjthegulpin xjthegulpin
15. SquashiniKun SquashiniKun
16. CatRaccoonBL CatRaccoonBL
17. Crap-Zapper Crap-Zapper
18. C Coofle DeDoofle
19. Staarih Staarih
20. fogbadge fogbadge
21. sman3579 sman3579
22. Jonofunu Jonofunu
23. Jigglystep Jigglystep
24. waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi
25. smashkirby smashkirby
26. RosaPeach RosaPeach
27. Pazzo. Pazzo.
28. @TCT~Phantom
29. Louie G. Louie G.
30. Watch Out! Watch Out!
31. A AquaSol
32. Questionmark222 Questionmark222
33. JomSpoons JomSpoons
34. Misery Brick Misery Brick
35. S SEGAGameBoy
36. @~ Valkyrie ~
37. ItsMeBrandon ItsMeBrandon
38. TreeBranch TreeBranch
39. Dynamite Dynamite
40. Cloudy Cloudy
41. SuperNintendoKid SuperNintendoKid
42. Lisbon Mapping Lisbon Mapping
43. sonofwiseii sonofwiseii
44. ThoughtfulWanderer ThoughtfulWanderer
45. noise r us noise r us
46. smashingDoug smashingDoug
47. LetterO LetterO
48. Nonno Umby Nonno Umby
49. Blue7113 Blue7113
50. THE 6r THE 6r
51. ChaosSharpedo ChaosSharpedo
52. Fane Fane
53. Vilain Vilain
54. MrBill0327 MrBill0327
55. JazzaDawg JazzaDawg
56. Nauzgo Nauzgo
57. Munomario777 Munomario777
58. potato69 potato69
59. Tinfoil Tinfoil
60. Bandanna_Waddle_Dee Bandanna_Waddle_Dee
61. Russell_SSB Russell_SSB
62. HaunterSpencer HaunterSpencer
63. 7982Brick 7982Brick
64. Deoxys911 Deoxys911
65. JadeBladeGamer22 JadeBladeGamer22
66. Vingag Vingag
67. Dibble Dibble
68. Smashing Ramen Smashing Ramen
69. nintenplayer nintenplayer
70. chronomantic chronomantic
71. glovetheglove glovetheglove
72. JUNIT JUNIT
73. PichuMain PichuMain
74. jimbozo jimbozo
75. Black Hunter Z Black Hunter Z
76. ZoroCarlos ZoroCarlos
77. Scorchingwater Scorchingwater
78. PhilosophicAnimal PhilosophicAnimal
79. OptimisticStrifer OptimisticStrifer
80. Zathura Zathura
81. Flynn.Scifo Flynn.Scifo
82. CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash
83. Rayleigh Rayleigh
84. SonicLink125 SonicLink125

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Champion
Absolutely yes. Rhythm Heaven, like Animal Crossing, is way overdue for big representation, and these guys are my top pick. Maybe Karate Joe is a runner-up, but it’s really them or nothing.

Also, that gif moveset is amazing. Kudos to whoever did it.

Last edited:

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
Was wondering when someone would make this. You pretty much nailed a lot of the points I would make about these guys. Definitely one of my top most wanted characters.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
I'll give support! I think the gematsu leak was real and they just got cut due to technical limitations. I think its pretty likely Chorus kids or any RH character based on what we know from the rumor.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
I wholeheartedly support. Rhythm Heaven is a fantastic franchise that deserves to be in Smash Bros. in a major capacity.
That said, I wasn't originally too keen on the idea of the Chorus Kids in particular, but seeing the moveset suggestions in the OP has changed my mind, haha.

StormC

Smash Hero
I too like the .GIF. Three kids feels really unwieldly, but a single one like that animation seems like it would be really nice.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
If Chorus Kids got into Smash, they'd only need one move. Upon pressing any button - "Go for a Perfect!" I don't know about you guys, but that would give me nightmarish flashbacks immediately, and would work nicely as an instant KO move.

Joking aside, I'd love to see them in Smash! They definitely deserve it, and I personally don't think there's a better character to represent Rhythm Heaven. I already thought that they had a good chance of appearing in 5, but I completely forgot that there was a Rhythm Heaven icon in the game files of Smash 4, too, so it seems like there's a really good chance! I like the idea of you playing as a single Chorus Kid, and then the other two pop out for attacks as necessary.

Sign me up for the supporter list!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
NNID
Takamaru64
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Let me say that I am here to support my three good bois.

They are definitely Smash material and I hope they are lucky to join.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You’re in luck I just came back the day the thread was made, cause I’m a supporter. This trio could be really fun, singing together as a triple team in unison, and using various different moves from across the Rhythm Heaven series!

3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
NNID
Souless_Shadow
I fully support trio of adorable guys! Rhythm heaven is probably my favorite nintendo series not currently in smash. And just think of the stage that could be brought is as well and the music. I'm getting hyped just thinking about it!

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I definitely support these guys!

They are the most qualified characters for smash bros and would create a lot of fans of them!

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Really, based on game sales and how many games there are in the series, Rhythm Heaven is long overdue for a character and stage. Chorus Kids are probably my favorite choice for Smash. I support!

i'm a fan of any rhythm heaven reprisentation in smash, and although i'd perfer Tibby, Karate Joe, or Miss Rhythm to be the rhythm heaven character, i'll still support the Chorus Kids

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
NNID
RaccoonBL
I think chrous kids are the best fit for rhythm heaven representation.

I find them overall adorable and I feel like with the three of them they can amplify the rhyhtm aspect. I feel like other characters come with potential flaws. Like I feel Karate joe would just have to come with a moveset with a heavy emphasis on karate. And someone like that rhyhtm girl isn't an interesting looking character.

As for chances, I also believe in the gematsu leak, so I feel that really helps them. Also Rhythm heaven megamix was released at the perfect time. 2015 for Japan and 2016 for NA. So the perfect time for Sakurai's project plan.

But I especially want the chorus kids because due to them I got into the rhythm heaven series. I got interested in them so I looked into the games and I ended up getting megamix. So I was pretty disappointed when they ended up not being in the game.

3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
While they are not my favourite Rhythm Heaven choice, they are still Rhythm Heaven!

What I do like about this addition though, is the three in one combo packgage, and the fact that they represent rhythm moves in general. I support.

Anything Rhythm Heaven related is something I'd love to support.

Edit: Also want to note that this was my 1000th post on Smashboards. Hope it brings luck or something.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
It's either them or Tibby
and what 3DS limits stopped them?
It's never been explicitally stated that the 3DS had anything to do with their exclusion. However, they could operate as a trio, similar to the Ice Climbers being a duo. Sakurai said that the Ice Climbers worked on the Wii U, but were cut since they didn't work on 3DS, so it's easy to assume that a trio would have that same issue.

Switch doesn't have that limitation, so they should be OK!

Staarih

Smash Champion
Here to support as well! It's about time Rhythm Heaven gets major representation in Smash, the series has been successful enough to warrant a playable character. While I'm happy with about any character, I do find myself enjoying the idea of Chorus Kids the most, and I've got the Gematsu leak to thank (or blame? lol) for that. Hopefully they do get in this time around.

3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
NNID
DustyPumpkin
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
It's never been explicitally stated that the 3DS had anything to do with their exclusion. However, they could operate as a trio, similar to the Ice Climbers being a duo. Sakurai said that the Ice Climbers worked on the Wii U, but were cut since they didn't work on 3DS, so it's easy to assume that a trio would have that same issue.

Switch doesn't have that limitation, so they should be OK!
I don’t think they were ever intended to work as a trio in the same vien as the Ice Climbers
I’d think it would look like you were playing as one unti you started to attack, then the other two would appear with each button press, extending attack reach and power

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think they were ever intended to work as a trio in the same vien as the Ice Climbers
I’d think it would look like you were playing as one unti you started to attack, then the other two would appear with each button press, extending attack reach and power
Sure, but the possibility of them operating as a trio is why some people guess that the 3DS may have held them back.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think the 3ds was holding the Chorus Kids back from appearing in Smash 4. There were files found ingame for a RH character and there was the whole Gematsu leak with them which is assuming to be an older version of the roster because it had Chrom who Sakurai later replaced with Robin because he was more unique.

3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
NNID
Davichii
This has just gotta be their time. I still believe.

But hey, I'll take any Rhythm Heaven rep at this point. I love all the concepts for a RH fighter being thrown around and I believe that any mixture of them could make for an incredibly fun and unique character.

Jonofunu

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0516-7588-9474
NNID
Jonofunu
I'm going to talk about the Rhythm Heaven franchise sales lists.
Here look these started from 2006 to 2016.

Rhythm Tengoku GBA
Rhythm Tengoku is the first game in the series, released on the GBA though exclusive to Japan. Sales started slowly with only 37,473 in launch week. However, sales stayed consistent that by mid-December 2006, the game had already sold 0.30 million copies.

Rhythm Heaven DS (Tengoku Gold)
Rhythm Heaven is the Nintendo DS video game and it has done astonishingly well. As of December 2008, the game has only been released in Japan and has gone on to sell a whopping 1,200,000 copies. Nintendo plans to release the game worldwide in 2009. On its first week on sale, the game managed to surpass the 200,000 mark and continued to remain at a healthy position in the charts for months. The following two weeks after its launch it continued to have sales of well over 100,000 copies sold. The game sold a total of 3.12 million with its worldwide release.

Rhythm Heaven Fever WII
It was the first console entry. Though it altogether failed to surpass 1 million, the game performed well in Japan, selling 654,403 in a total of 0.89 million copies in Japan, because NA is less the sales charts over Super Mario Bros. is higher since 2012.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix 3DS (The Best Plus)
The game debuted at No. 1 in Japanese charts maintained by Media Create, recording 158,000 copies sold in its first week of release. As of 26 February 2016, total Japanese sales reached 650.000 copies. It sold is total of 0.80 million copies between Japan and Europe except for NA.

Last edited:
You know what I want to see from the Chorus Kids?

A taunt where the Chorus Kids will sing based on your button commands.

Like for example, holding the up taunt will active the "chorus". While it's active, button inputs will effect the Chorus Kids. Holding Y will make Kid #1 sing, holding B will make Kid #2, and holding A will make Kid #3 sing. Each of the kids sings at a different pitch. Holding the shield will cause them to sing at a higher pitch, while pressing X makes them all shout simultaneously.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
As much as I want a rep from Rhythm Heaven, my favorite rhythm game series, I really don't want the Chorus Kids in Smash. I just hate their rhythm game so much. It's slow, boring, and not fun at all. I just find it weird that despite the plethora of characters from the series the one that caught the eyes of Mr. Sakurai last time were the Chorus Kids.

If they do join Smash I'll be upset but Ill also be glad the Rhythm Heaven finally got a character in Smash.

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
I was very much disappointed during those times where it was very much confirmed these kids won't be coming to Smash 4. But with the Switch version presumably having no 3DS counterpart now, I'll be getting my hopes up again and will still cross fingers until launch day XD

The quirky moveset possibilities are endless. From the rhythm-based moves to it's trio aspect, it's just too wacky and random and that's a major plus for me. Also, I would be very much delighted if the game would include Dreams of our Generation, whether it's a remix or perhaps in a Night Walk-inspired Final Smash for these guys.