• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Singing for Paradise Chorus Kids for Smash

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Considering there will probably be more Rhythm Heaven music in Smash Ultimate even if a rep isn't playable, is there any you guys would like to see? There will obviously be at least one remix 10, but I'm really hoping for remix 8 (ds). It's so fast paced and fun. It's perfect for Smash. I'd also like to see either Love Lab or Pajama Party as a remix to make them more energetic, but I doubt we'll get that even if it would be super awesome.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Pajama Party, Kitties!, Built to Scale (DS and Wii medley), Fillbots remix, Air Rally, LumBEARjack, Rhythm Rally. At least ;-) I love most of the tracks from RH.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Honestly, one of the main reasons I'd want any RH stage is just for the music alone given there's Omega and Battlefield versions, alongside hazard toggle, already.
Has there been a newcomer that hasn't gotten a stage based off their series, outside of maybe R.O.B?

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Marth and Roy didn't have a home stage in Melee.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Marth and Roy didn't have a home stage in Melee.
Well, that was because of time constraints. They were planned to have one but it just didn't happen due to Melee's rushed dovelopement. I'm 100% certain if a Rhythm Heaven character happens they would get a stage. I assume R.O.B. doesn't have one becuase he can really be represented by any NES/Famicom stage.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel like the perfect Rhythm Heaven stage would be Night Walk, as it embodies the series in a perfect way and can alternate from the GBA version and the Wii version.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I feel like the perfect Rhythm Heaven stage would be Night Walk, as it embodies the series in a perfect way and can alternate from the GBA version and the Wii version.
That's a good idea! The only problem is it would be a scroller lol. I would looove to have both of the songs play as well!

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Night Walk would be amazing! There can be a lot of characters popping up in the background from different minigames!

Another option is maybe Built to Scale? It popped up in every single RH game and it’s really iconic I think.

Or maybe... somewhat less iconic, but I would love fighting on the artstyle of Blue Bear from Megamix. On the hill where the bears are sleeping.

Oh well, it’s probably a stage like WarioWare, Inc. and I would hate that actually...

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
What if there was a Ringside themed stage where everything plays as normal but whenever the interviewers go “Pose for the fans!” you must stop everything and taunt at the correct rhythm or you get blown off the stage like how the mom catches you in the Gamer stage.

It’s 7 AM and I havent slept yet I can’t tell if this is a good idea or a bad idea.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Well, it would be chaotic, but I would like the fun! But the blow-off doesn't need to be very strong then because that would destroy the stage fun immediately.

Last edited:

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Found this on Twitter

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
If that’s real, does that mean the Chorus Kids a little bit more likely this time around? Maybe the Chorus Kids already functioned on Wii U. In that way, the character can be copy-pasted into Smash Ultimate (probably with a few tweaks). This makes me hyped :-D

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Found this on Twitter

Judging off of the info that we have been regurgitating ad nauseam, I kinda believe it. Ryce was exact on everything that came out for MvC:I (RIP), aside from the mind stone I think. I guess the only discrepancy with his claim is that the Sneaky Spirits were 2D in Smash Run, but that'd be something minor if anything at all since they most likely used assets for them from the source.
Don't want to get my hopes too high with this info, but it could very well point to their inclusion this time around. And if true, could mean that Sakurai only wants Mr. G&W as the only 2D character which makes me laugh.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys actually want a 2D or 3D model? Because I would love to see the Chorus Kids in their fully fletched 3D model, the 2D model is okay I guess, but it would be cool of they stepped up to 3D models. Kinda like Duck Hunt, how I loved to see a fully fletched out model for them.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Do you guys actually want a 2D or 3D model? Because I would love to see the Chorus Kids in their fully fletched 3D model, the 2D model is okay I guess, but it would be cool of they stepped up to 3D models. Kinda like Duck Hunt, how I loved to see a fully fletched out model for them.
Given how well I think the art style translates to 3D, I'd actually love them to be rendered that way. Also I think it'd be neat, and hopefully, for them to make custom models for the trophies of other RH characters as we haven't seen a lot of them in Smash 4.
If they are thrown in as 2D characters, they need to have the wobbly/squiggly outlines for me to be content with them that way. (and taking pictures would kinda be bland with them like that.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i have my doubts as with any "leak" though if true there arent many games which use a 3d version of the chorus kids i doubt a rhythm paradise game on the switch would change the art style of the series for example

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
i have my doubts as with any "leak" though if true there arent many games which use a 3d version of the chorus kids i doubt a rhythm paradise game on the switch would change the art style of the series for example
Well there are 3D mini games in Rhythm Heaven such as Airboarder, and in Megamix even some of the backgrounds were rendered that way too. So they won't necessarily change the art style of the series as many of the designs are the same in 2D.
Also if we want to talk about a series that has a predominant 2D art style that received a 3D one in Smash, look no further than the Ashley assist trophy in Smash 4.
But on the topic of the validity of the leak, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Hmm... I'll be honest I kinda am not a huge fan of these guys as characters. Probably just salty still from other RH characters being mocked for "stupid ideas" and later the same people jumping on the chorus kids bandwagon and calling them a 'lock' or the 'most wanted' RH character post-leak. Personally I feel like they weren't wanted until the leak made them seem likely.

In hindsight they really do make a lot of sense because they are REALLY iconic to the series. However, I personally would like them to have a 2D or pseudo 2D look (like G&W.) I personally love Ko Takeuchi's art and I think the chorus kids will look especially... Odd in 3D (at least give them the dark outline.) What's interesting is if some rumors are to be believed and we get paper mario, then I would imagine these guys would also be flat. They did rework G&W and I imagine they would use the same technique to make Paper Mario as they would a RH character.

I just hope for more Ko Takeuchi in Smash Bros. Come on Ashley and Rhythm Heaven!

Well there are 3D mini games in Rhythm Heaven such as Airboarder, and in Megamix even some of the backgrounds were rendered that way too. So they won't necessarily change the art style of the series as many of the designs are the same in 2D.
Also if we want to talk about a series that has a predominant 2D art style that received a 3D one in Smash, look no further than the Ashley assist trophy in Smash 4.
But on the topic of the validity of the leak, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.
WarioWare also uses some 3D but usually just in microgames and not with the main cast in Diamond City.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Hmm... I'll be honest I kinda am not a huge fan of these guys as characters. Probably just salty still from other RH characters being mocked for "stupid ideas" and later the same people jumping on the chorus kids bandwagon and calling them a 'lock' or the 'most wanted' RH character post-leak. Personally I feel like they weren't wanted until the leak made them seem likely.

In hindsight they really do make a lot of sense because they are REALLY iconic to the series. However, I personally would like them to have a 2D or pseudo 2D look (like G&W.) I personally love Ko Takeuchi's art and I think the chorus kids will look especially... Odd in 3D (at least give them the dark outline.) What's interesting is if some rumors are to be believed and we get paper mario, then I would imagine these guys would also be flat. They did rework G&W and I imagine they would use the same technique to make Paper Mario as they would a RH character.

I just hope for more Ko Takeuchi in Smash Bros. Come on Ashley and Rhythm Heaven!

WarioWare also uses some 3D but usually just in microgames and not with the main cast in Diamond City.
Well yeah, that's what I meant by not using 3D models predominantly, but hey Ashley's, hopefully former, assist trophy does leave some room for the Chorus Kids' model being plausible.
I personally don't think they're a lock, but given what we know, it's likely that we'll receive an RH rep. And honestly, I'm down with whatever Rhythm Heaven character as long as we get one that's playable. Like it could be the Reporter from Ringside and I'd still be ecstatic. (or seeing Karate Joe fight Ryu would be a nice sight, given the contrast in tone between the two.)
Just I lean a bit more with the Chorus Kids because I like the idea of the trio fighting as one (also, just look at them), as opposed to let's say Red or the Ice Climbers being distinct in that they're multiple characters apart of a party or a tag team.
But yeah, I think we can all agree that Ko Takeuchi's art style needs to definitely be showcased more in Smash.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah but why would they change the style of chorus kids

i dont believe the leak as it sounds like made for sake of having one

Staarih

Smash Master
yeah but why would they change the style of chorus kids
I dunno, Smash itself also has a style of its own so I think it'd be wise to keep the whole roster as consistent and coherent as possible (design-wise). I mean, they've made characters fit who have only been 2D or pixel sprites before. So personally I'd like to see 3D Chorus Kids in Smash - but sure, I'll take 2D as well if that's the route they take.

Just I lean a bit more with the Chorus Kids because I like the idea of the trio fighting as one
Yeah, while I might've been part of the group who jumped the bandwagon after the Smash 4 "leaks", I've really grown the like the idea of a trio character. It works really well for a (likely) rhythm-based moveset, you know, going all "one, two, three, hit" or something.

Also, if they're in, I'd like the Chorus Kids' official art be them "towered" up like so. Would make for an adorable amiibo as well:

Edit: Image not working. Well, HERE and HERE.

Last edited:

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I would also like to see it in 2D, but I have nothing against watching them in 3D, it would be curious.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Speaing of Ko, I wonder if he knew about the kids getting in Smash since 2012, it gets me wondering how impatient he must feel to finally see his characters reveales to the public in Ultimate.

Found this on Twitter

That is huge news. I trust Sal Romano on this. I am 99.99999% sure they are in now.

Last edited:

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I asked Ko Tacheuki some time ago on Twitter if he knew something about Rhythm Heaven on Smash, but he did not answer (obviously).

I want to be suspicious about the new Leak of Sal Romano, I do not want to disappoint after.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Sweet, I was hoping that they were in 3D!!! We still don’t have hard evidence, but that’s great!

Edit: Guess I spoke too soon lmao. Still think their chances are high though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I dunno, Smash itself also has a style of its own so I think it'd be wise to keep the whole roster as consistent and coherent as possible (design-wise). I mean, they've made characters fit who have only been 2D or pixel sprites before. So personally I'd like to see 3D Chorus Kids in Smash - but sure, I'll take 2D as well if that's the route they take.
i meant for a hypothetical rhythm paradise on the switch

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Yeah, while I might've been part of the group who jumped the bandwagon after the Smash 4 "leaks", I've really grown the like the idea of a trio character. It works really well for a (likely) rhythm-based moveset, you know, going all "one, two, three, hit" or something.

Also, if they're in, I'd like the Chorus Kids' official art be them "towered" up like so. Would make for an adorable amiibo as well:

Edit: Image not working. Well, HERE and HERE.
The whole 'one two three' rhythm thing is worrisome. You have such a large hitbox and then you might have attacks that have a large warning ahead of use (think of WFT's smash attacks whistle sfx for example, but worse.) It depends how they implement it.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
That kinda stinks it was fake, but it's not really a big deal. A Rhythm Heaven character is almost guarenteed this time around anyway.
I would like a 3D model, but if they summon other characters from the series like some fan made move sets have suggested they will probably be 2D unless they wanna model a bunch of them. The 3D model should definitely have the squiggly lines though

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Why have I not found this thread earlier? I love the Rhythm Heaven games and have been a fervent Chorus Kids advocate since the Gematsu leak. Count me in as a supporter!

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
That kinda stinks it was fake, but it's not really a big deal. A Rhythm Heaven character is almost guarenteed this time around anyway.
I don't like how sad this is, but... I don't think people consider them almost guaranteed. Weird, because for me, a Rhythm Heaven char is a shoe-in, but for most...

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm all in support of a Rhythm Heaven character, whether it's Karate Joe, Chorus Kids, or some original combination of characters, I'm in.

Rhythm Heaven is the only non-retro first party franchise I can think of that's big enough to earn a character... Well, maybe aside from ARMS. Though they're far from guaranteed. They're not a massive franchise, they're a little strange, and building a moveset around maintaining a rhythm are hurdles in the way (I do like the 1-2-3 attacking to a beat style of play... though it poses its own challenges too, to make and to play with/against). I mean, just think of having to keep a beat that differs from the beat of the music in the stage background. Or keeping a beat to internet lag... It sounds like a challenge to make, and I suppose it could be a reason why Sakurai and the team ultimately dropped the character (if there was a character to begin with even).

But man, if they can make it work, it would be fan-freakin'-tastic. A big lovable series with tons of humor and character, and a very unique gameplay gimmick. Smash would do very well with a Rhythm Heaven character. I'm a fan.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I don't like how sad this is, but... I don't think people consider them almost guaranteed. Weird, because for me, a Rhythm Heaven char is a shoe-in, but for most...
Yeah, it's really weird, especially considering they were on the heavily spread Gematsu leak. I guess it's just because they're from a very niche series in the west and a lot of people aren't really thinking about them.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm all in support of a Rhythm Heaven character, whether it's Karate Joe, Chorus Kids, or some original combination of characters, I'm in.

Rhythm Heaven is the only non-retro first party franchise I can think of that's big enough to earn a character... Well, maybe aside from ARMS. Though they're far from guaranteed. They're not a massive franchise, they're a little strange, and building a moveset around maintaining a rhythm are hurdles in the way (I do like the 1-2-3 attacking to a beat style of play... though it poses its own challenges too, to make and to play with/against). I mean, just think of having to keep a beat that differs from the beat of the music in the stage background. Or keeping a beat to internet lag... It sounds like a challenge to make, and I suppose it could be a reason why Sakurai and the team ultimately dropped the character (if there was a character to begin with even).

But man, if they can make it work, it would be fan-freakin'-tastic. A big lovable series with tons of humor and character, and a very unique gameplay gimmick. Smash would do very well with a Rhythm Heaven character. I'm a fan.
Concerning obscurity, I don't think that's too big of an issue. They're not that obscure, at least in Japan, and have at least a presence over here. As you said, they are one of the only franchises that are big enough to get a rep. With most other franchises already represented and ARMS looking very unlikely due to the start of developement being late 2015, they have the best shot. I doubt Sakurai would like the only new franchise to be Splatoon either. About the difficulty of implementing a rhythm based fighter, I don't think that's an issue either. If Sakurai didn't think their move set would work, they wouldn't have gotten past the planning stages. We know (unless the emblem was meant for something else) that they did because of the unused emblem. I've always considered them to have been cut due to time

Jonofunu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jonofunu
3DS FC
0516-7588-9474

I found that is the user is a friend of Kimmotman and Ko Takeuchi (He was sent to them at the same time)

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:
Top Bottom