• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Singing for Paradise Chorus Kids for Smash

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The situation is getting more depressing by the minute for me now, cause now I am thinking about other RH fans, and I remember the recent dedication project of Rhythm Heaven re-animated:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There are just so many dedicated RH fans out there, about as many passionate fans as MOTHER's fanbase.

If we do not get Chorus Kids as DLC in Ultimate, it is going to be a devastating blow for me and the fans who really want a RH character in Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so after buying stuff from nintendo uk's store they will often ask you to submit a review (dont know if the rest of you have a version of this) and when asking about amiibo to do actually ask what kind of amiibo youd like to see in the future so while reviewing my octoling triple pack i suggested rhythm paradise characters

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
John Dylan Smith is just here to cause trouble. Do not accept him as a supporter. Do not allow him to feel welcome in this thread.

The situation is getting more depressing by the minute for me now, cause now I am thinking about other RH fans, and I remember the recent dedication project of Rhythm Heaven re-animated:

There are just so many dedicated RH fans out there, about as many passionate fans as MOTHER's fanbase.

If we do not get Chorus Kids as DLC in Ultimate, it is going to be a devastating blow for me and the fans who really want a RH character in Smash.
Oi! Who's the nutcase who thought it was a good idea to Nightcore Rhythm Heaven?

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I was expecting Kirbies with the grayscale alt and their giant mouths but Jigglypuff totes makes sense.

Well at the very least we see the Chorus Kids & Rhythm Heaven haven't been forgotten in the switch between Sm4sh and Ultimate, but I kinda worry that Sakurai was just like "oh just make them a spirit", shrugging them off instead of reviving the idea of them as a character (despite the fact Chrom got in despite missing out in Smash 4, as well as other previously scrapped things, grrrr....). tbf there's no precedent where Sakurai has to try using scrapped ideas in the next game, but there was CLEARLY the idea of taking another shot at the Chorus Kids here, and maybe Sakurai still looked at it and just decided not to make them a fighter finally for whatever, unknown reason? (Not that spirits definitively unconfirm fighters as far as we know, yada yada).

Maybe if we're lucky, Nintendo deciding the DLC means either giving the smaller RH/Warioware team amongst others representation, or they decided to promote one of the few popular (al in Japan) Nintendo franchises left not given a BIG representation like an AT or character, only having a bunch of spirits thus fitting right in!

Last edited:

potato69

Smash Apprentice

(If it wasn't already obvious, these aren't actually the DLC characters lol)
The chorus kids seem to be a profile icon. At least they're getting SOME attention from Nintendo, I guess. I feel like this hurts their chances as DLC quite a bit, though.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

The chorus kids seem to be a profile icon. At least they're getting SOME attention from Nintendo, I guess. I feel like this hurts their chances as DLC quite a bit, though.
On a scale of one to ten; how okay would everyone with THAT being the DLC roster; lol?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You guys know about the datamine stuff?

Apparently there was a cut fighter in the list, but it doesn't say who.

And according to vaanrose vaanrose , the fighter is a first party character based on the ordering.

Hope for the Chorus Kids maybe?

Last edited:

potato69

Smash Apprentice
Chorus Kids, alone would make it worth it for me
Agreed. At this point, I want nothing other than to give Rhythm Heaven the attention it deserves in Smash. Sakurai did a great job representing many series sufficiently, but the lack of attention given to RH sticks out to me as being unusually unfair.

You guys know about the datamine stuff?

Apparently there was a cut fighter in the list, but it doesn't say who.

And according to vaanrose vaanrose , the fighter is a first party character based on the ordering.

Hope for the Chorus Kids maybe?
If the Chorus Kids really are the missing character, it would make their Smash Bros journey even more heartbreaking than it already is.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
Still not found Tibby of spirit?

Dibble

Smash Cadet

Oh hey neat. I honestly think that's pretty good news. I'm assuming these 5 are the only spirits from the "Others" series that are also profile icons, meaning that out of all the numerous Rhythm Heaven spirits, the Chorus Kids were chosen to be the Rhyhtm Heaven representatives.
I guess that makes it likely that the Gematsu leaker was partially right and that our bois might have been the cut Rhythm Heaven character in Sm4sh.

This probably doesn't increase their chances as DLC, but it at least shows Sakurai kinda cares about them.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

Shoot, I'm just seeing this. I guess it's safe to say Gematsu was real now. We were so close.

Dibble

Smash Cadet
playericons.jpg
I'm still not quite sure about this, but it looks like only a select few spirits get profile icons? This could mean that Chorus Kids are 1 of the lucky 5 non assist trophy spirits from an unrepresented series. Wouldn't mean much in the way of DLC so it would just be more interesting if true. Still a bit unsure about this though.

Here are all the spirits in the game, apparently.
https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N

Rhythm Heaven ones I could find:
Karate Joe
The Chorus Kids
The Wandering Samurai
Sick Beats Doctor
Munchy Monk
Reporter & Wrestler
Baxter & Forthington
Wandering Samurai (Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Sumo Brothers
That's actually quite a nice selection of spirits for a series with no fighters! From what I gathered Wonderful 101 unfortunately ended up with only 2 spirits, so this isn't anything to scoff at. I still doubt spirits mean the end for a character's DLC chances, but otherwise I'd be glad to get Tap Trial Girl or even Tibby.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Out of all the franchises without a playable character Rhythm Heaven has the most at nine and Golden Sun comes close at eight. That's quite an impressive feat for Rhythm Heaven to have and shows how important the series is to Nintendo

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Here are all the spirits in the game, apparently.
https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N

Rhythm Heaven ones I could find:
Karate Joe
The Chorus Kids
The Wandering Samurai
Sick Beats Doctor
Munchy Monk
Reporter & Wrestler
Baxter & Forthington
Wandering Samurai (Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Sumo Brothers
Hmmm... Tibby and Tap Trial Girl are both not present for some odd reason...

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Unrepresented series stealing the DLC spotlight from series with characters

—————
Not sure how Joker’s inclusion affects Rhythm Heaven, but it seems like with what Reggie said, they want to keep up the hype. And Rhythm Heaven isn’t exactly hype material. Joker definitely set the bar up high.

But I’ll stand my ground and believe these little guys still have a chance.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
Hello everyone, yesterday I went to a manga room that was in my country and I went back to doing a cosplay of the chorus kids, once I showed it in the past years ago but I would like to go back to showed today.

Merry chritsmas :)

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Here are my thoughts on RH in Smash currently...

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/12...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach

So this recent article gives us these quotes. It's not good for a RH rep if the DLC's all surprising hype reveals like Joker, but what's also like Joker:

“It's emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it's going to be tremendously exciting.”

“Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player. That's been the approach. That's the thinking”

So while Rhythm Heaven's popularity might only be noticeably strong in Japan (is that correct?), it'd still be not only an entirely new franchise to the series not counting things like trophies and music that would be a surprising headturner, positively at least to the Japan audience (?), but one presumably with a unique character and moveset. And maybe Sakurai has a bit more control over DLC than we previously thought.

At the very least, RH is one remaining Nintendo franchise they can go to for entirely new 1st party representation if they wanted to, having little representation in Ultimate of a strangely decent amount of spirits and only a few music tracks that could be complemented with those of a DLC pack. What competition does it have from other entirely-new-to-Smash Nintendo IPs that aren't dormant or already have some slightly bigger representation like an assist trophy or Mii costume?

But in terms of making it, maybe it won't be THIS DLC wave at least because RH isn't exactly a crazy addition like Joker was, unless there's like the ONE first party of the group that goes to Rhythm Heaven because every other fairly popular franchise already has some kind of significant representation in Smash already.

Though if spirits do deconfirm at least THESE DLC fighters, we might have to go with Tibby over the Chorus Kids. Sure he's only been significant in one RH game so far (though also has a cameo in Warioware Gold I guess), but he's the only proper central "storyline" character the franchise has, differentiating him from say, Marshal or Tap Trial Girl. And because of this, he'd be the most suitable to be a pastiche of different RH games, a moveset idea that's popular for a RH rep.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
My worst fear right now is that Rhythm Heaven is finished. Megamix could've been the final game to end the series. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but maybe Tsunku's just done. I know it sold really well and all, but I can't help but be worried.

I can't really see Rhythm Heaven making DLC even if another game is in the works though. It seems like this pass is all about hype. I will say that the series having no assists or Mii costumes is extremely odd however.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Don’t have the game yet but I’ve heard from many that the Chorus Kids spirit fight is notorious for being one of, if not, the hardest spirit battle out there.

See this is what happens when the Chorus Kids were snubbed for two games.
38586865-4651-48AB-875A-C644D4FEEB2F.jpeg

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Don’t have the game yet but I’ve heard from many that the Chorus Kids spirit fight is notorious for being one of, if not, the hardest spirit battle out there.

See this is what happens when the Chorus Kids were snubbed for two games. View attachment 182482
Chrom getting his day despite being seemingly definitively snubbed in Smash 4 and the Chorus Kids, the thus sole remainder of the Gematsu leak that at least were of enough importance to get a Smash Run enemy, STILL being left to the wayside instead with a seemingly deconfirming spirit?

If I were them, I'd wanna punch everyone in the face too.
The new to the series thing is the only reason I am keeping hoping for a RH character, I only have an ounce of faith of CK getting in at this point.
Sigh... They or Tibby couldn't at least be the one odd one out in terms of hype DLC, also being a Nintendo IP not properly realized in Ultimate (that at least has a niche/Japan audience) to break up presumably like four completely new third-party DLC characters?

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

See this is what happens when the Chorus Kids were snubbed for two games. View attachment 182482
Good thing I bought their spirit despite my rule of only getting spirits through their fights. I had already failed twice to these bois

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Okay so, little theory about the Rhythm Heaven character removal in Smash 4:

Everybody knows Ice Climbers weren't brought back for Smash 4 because of the technical limitations of the 3DS, and assuming the Gemetsu leak was true of there initially being Chorus Kids planned as a character (thus what the emblem data in Smash 4 was representing), maybe the reason for that RH character getting cut was because it had technical problems of having even more characters on screen at once than the Ice Climbers.

However, looking at the emblem data that references Rhythm Heaven in the first place, there's no character reference to the Ice Climbers (as well as Snake from Brawl). This could imply that at this point in development, they had already scrapped them for technical reasons, but could have still been working on the Chorus Kids character. Thus they could have been scrapped for another reason, be it time, moveset implementation difficulty, etc. After all, they weren't creating other new "multi" characters Rosalina & Luma and Duck Hunt Duo in the style of the Ice Climbers, so why would the Chorus Kids be any different?

A few other things: looking at leftover Smash Run enemies for both multi-characters, maybe those were still included because they had been started earlier in development and/or were too easy to continue development on anyway. And maybe the Chorus Kids were meant to be visually flat like Game & Watch, at that matches both the RH trophies and Smash Run enemy in the final game.

What do you all think? Maybe we could have a little solace in terms of what to blame for the RH character not getting in in Smash 4.

Dibble

Smash Cadet
Okay so, little theory about the Rhythm Heaven character removal in Smash 4:

Everybody knows Ice Climbers weren't brought back for Smash 4 because of the technical limitations of the 3DS, and assuming the Gemetsu leak was true of there initially being Chorus Kids planned as a character (thus what the emblem data in Smash 4 was representing), maybe the reason for that RH character getting cut was because it had technical problems of having even more characters on screen at once than the Ice Climbers.

However, looking at the emblem data that references Rhythm Heaven in the first place, there's no character reference to the Ice Climbers (as well as Snake from Brawl). This could imply that at this point in development, they had already scrapped them for technical reasons, but could have still been working on the Chorus Kids character. Thus they could have been scrapped for another reason, be it time, moveset implementation difficulty, etc. After all, they weren't creating other new "multi" characters Rosalina & Luma and Duck Hunt Duo in the style of the Ice Climbers, so why would the Chorus Kids be any different?

A few other things: looking at leftover Smash Run enemies for both multi-characters, maybe those were still included because they had been started earlier in development and/or were too easy to continue development on anyway. And maybe the Chorus Kids were meant to be visually flat like Game & Watch, at that matches both the RH trophies and Smash Run enemy in the final game.

What do you all think? Maybe we could have a little solace in terms of what to blame for the RH character not getting in in Smash 4.
I think it was just time constraints? While we don't know what kind of character the RH character could have been, I doubt Sakurai would have gone for an Ice Climbers-esque character with Chorus Kids. Seeing as how they'd be the Rhythm heaven rep, I'd say a rhythm/timing gimmick is already enough to make them unique, and honestly playing as 3 characters doesn't sound too different from 2.
In the article where Sakurai mentions Bowser Jr. was almost cut, he says "There are cases where we simply couldn't make it in the end" before stating how the staff had to push themselves to get Bowser Jr done in time. It sounds like they just had to drop the RH character during development.

Top Bottom