• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Singing for Paradise Chorus Kids for Smash

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
What do you think will be the effect of the spirits of the chorus kids?

I believe that 3 Jiglypuff will appear in combat.

LetterO

Smash Lord
The only reason the song doesn't have an emblem is because there's no stage or character to represent Rhythm Heaven. This can easily change with DLC.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's really frustrating to think about that Sakurai had planned a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash 4, only for Ultimate to possibly never plan Chorus Kids at all for base game/DLC to become a real possibility with our current situation.

Rhythm Heaven is a Nintendo series that has already proven its worthiness for character representation. And if things don't turn out for Chorus Kids, I don't know what I will think of Sakurai anymore. It just feels so unlike Sakurai to abandon a character he thought was worthy last Smash game. It feels incredibly uncharacteristic of Sakurai, as the man who gives even obscure, but high quality Nintendo franchises like MOTHER and Xenoblade character representation.

Ugh...
None of the Forbidden 7 newcomers ever resurfaced either, to be fair. I guess with the limited newcomers, he made his call.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I still don't understand how Isabelle, Incineroar, or Pirahna Plant (although it doesn't really count) was higher priority than a RH character. Not even an assist. If one's not DLC, we got absolutely ****ed over.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I still don't understand how Isabelle, Incineroar, or Pirahna Plant (although it doesn't really count) was higher priority than a RH character. Not even an assist. If one's not DLC, we got absolutely ****ed over.
while i cant say for the other two considering how successful animal crossing has been it makes sense that it would get a second character and isabelle is the most popular

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
while i cant say for the other two considering how successful animal crossing has been it makes sense that it would get a second character and isabelle is the most popular
Smash Ultimate's roster is great. Isabelle is a semi-clone anyway, so it's not like she could've been replaced with a RH rep. I should probably stop complaining. Incineroar and Pirahna Plant look super fun

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Smash Ultimate's roster is great. Isabelle is a semi-clone anyway, so it's not like she could've been replaced with a RH rep. I should probably stop complaining. Incineroar and Pirahna Plant look super fun
yeah but its not like he couldnt have replaced any of the characters with a rhythm paradise one

not much we can do besides keep showing our support for the series

potato69

Smash Apprentice
Since I would hate to see the Chorus Kids support thread die slowly along with their chances as dlc, here's some (cursed) Chorus Kid content.
disgusting.png

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Tibby's still possible, though.
As I see it, all Rhythm Heaven character still have equal chances amongst one another when it comes to getting into Smash. Spirits mean jack squat for deconfirmation, so Chorus Kids, Karate Joe and the rest of the Rhythm Heaven gang are still possibilities.

Personally, I'm still pretty optimistic about the chances for a Rhythm Heaven rep (specifically our trio of rhythm boyos), especially considering we've got it good compared to many other unfortunate souls (sorry Isaac fans). Holding onto this hope is ultimately an invitation for disappointment, but I think it's better than the alternative, which mostly consists of being depressed and glum for a year.

Granted, if we don't get ANY Rhythm Heaven representation through DLC, we'll actually have it worse than the likes of Isaac, Skull Kid, Shovel Knight, and etc. because at the very least they've got an Assist Trophy.

Flarestorm

Smash Rookie
I found out this serie only recently (I'm currently playing rhythm heaven fever) and I love it! It's a shame that these games still don't have representation in smash (and it's sad that chorus kids almost did it in smash 4 but were cut later :(), let's hope for dlcs!
(Sorry If i have a bad english, I'm from Italy)

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
It's really frustrating to think about that Sakurai had planned a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash 4, only for Ultimate to possibly never plan Chorus Kids at all for base game/DLC to become a real possibility with our current situation.

Rhythm Heaven is a Nintendo series that has already proven its worthiness for character representation. And if things don't turn out for Chorus Kids, I don't know what I will think of Sakurai anymore. It just feels so unlike Sakurai to abandon a character he thought was worthy last Smash game. It feels incredibly uncharacteristic of Sakurai, as the man who gives even obscure, but high quality Nintendo franchises like MOTHER and Xenoblade character representation.

Ugh...
I know people always bring up the “forbidden seven” from Brawl, but I think that’s a completely different arena imo. All of those characters were already apart of existing franchises and series. Also, a lot of them were seemingly cut for obvious reasons. (Red already serving as a Gen 3 rep and had three Pokémon, so Plusle/Minun got low priority. etc.)
While the Chorus Kids did seemingly get cut for obvious reasons, I don’t think there’s ever been a time where a character was scrapped from a franchise that hasn’t been introduced yet.
And it sucks that Rhythm Heaven, a long standing Nintendo franchise largely overlooked in Smash games, missed their shot in both games already. Despite the fact, there was work on the characters already.
That’s the thing that sucks about it all.

Regardless of the whole music thing, I’m still cautiously optimistic for a Rhythm Heaven character for DLC.
But yeah, I’m with you there BluePikmin, I’m not sure how I’ll feel about Sakurai and his process if we don’t get the Chorus Kids or any other Rhythm Heaven fighter.
Tibby's still possible, though.
Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, Tap Trial Girl, and even the Reporter is still possible.
Nothing has hurt any of the Rhythm Heaven characters chances yet. That’s why I was happy that our boys, or anyone else for that matter, wasn’t turned into an Assist Trophy.
But if I’m willing to bet on any RH character for DLC, I think it’s probably between the Chorus Kids or Tibby.
I honestly can’t see Sakurai choosing anyone else.

Also, I want to throw this out there:
What the hell was Mystic on about with the “leak” that landed him in trouble?
After all, Isaac was an AT, but Ken actually got confirmed. Why was he so confident in the Chorus Kids then?
Especially when he said he knew who was an Assist Trophy?

Last edited:

glovetheglove

Smash Rookie
Not sure if anyone has brought this up before, but do you think Chorus Kids (or other RH reps) may have been cut due to the rhythm cues being different in different languages and the fact that Smash Ultimate supports SO MANY of them that it might be kind of a nightmare?

I don't want to make it sound IMPOSSIBLE because Nintendo can do what they want, but it's a character where sound and language cues are so integral to its origin series that incorporating them into the character may be TOO MUCH if they wanted to get it right.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if anyone has brought this up before, but do you think Chorus Kids (or other RH reps) may have been cut due to the rhythm cues being different in different languages and the fact that Smash Ultimate supports SO MANY of them that it might be kind of a nightmare?
Rhythm is a universal language, your point is moot.

But seriously though, Wii Fit Trainer has 17 different voice actors/actresses, so it shouldn't be an issue for Nintendo.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I know people always bring up the “forbidden seven” from Brawl, but I think that’s a completely different arena imo. All of those characters were already apart of existing franchises and series. Also, a lot of them were seemingly cut for obvious reasons. (Red already serving as a Gen 3 rep and had three Pokémon, so Plusle/Minun got low priority. etc.)
While the Chorus Kids did seemingly get cut for obvious reasons, I don’t think there’s ever been a time where a character was scrapped from a franchise that hasn’t been introduced yet.
And it sucks that Rhythm Heaven, a long standing Nintendo franchise largely overlooked in Smash games, missed their shot in both games already. Despite the fact, there was work on the characters already.
That’s the thing that sucks about it all.

Regardless of the whole music thing, I’m still cautiously optimistic for a Rhythm Heaven character for DLC.
But yeah, I’m with you there BluePikmin, I’m not sure how I’ll feel about Sakurai and his process if we don’t get the Chorus Kids or any other Rhythm Heaven fighter.

Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, Tap Trial Girl, and even the Reporter is still possible.
Nothing has hurt any of the Rhythm Heaven characters chances yet. That’s why I was happy that our boys, or anyone else for that matter, wasn’t turned into an Assist Trophy.
But if I’m willing to bet on any RH character for DLC, I think it’s probably between the Chorus Kids or Tibby.
I honestly can’t see Sakurai choosing anyone else.

Also, I want to throw this out there:
What the hell was Mystic on about with the “leak” that landed him in trouble?
After all, Isaac was an AT, but Ken actually got confirmed. Why was he so confident in the Chorus Kids then?
Especially when he said he knew who was an Assist Trophy?
That would be a good thing to ask him.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

I don't want to make it sound IMPOSSIBLE because Nintendo can do what they want, but it's a character where sound and language cues are so integral to its origin series that incorporating them into the character may be TOO MUCH if they wanted to get it right.
I mean, I honestly doubt that would be the case.
If anything, I could see some of their specials functioning like Incineroar’s Side-B, where depending on your timing , you’d get different results for an attack.
Not necessarily going along to a beat or rhythm itself. If anything, it could just be a musical cue that’s overlayed, but I would seriously doubt that’s the case.
Even then, Rhythm Heaven’s own games borrow from a large variety of countries and musical styles, so I don’t think that’s the problem.
And like Pikmin-ism42 Pikmin-ism42 pointed out, that wouldn’t be a problem regardless.

If anything, the reason I could see them being cut is the fact that they weren’t in demand as compared to other newcomers.
Like after all, most of the fan requested characters returned or joined for this entry, and quite a few additions were to help round out some series or franchises. (K. Rool, Ken, Daisy, Ridley and Dark Samus, etc.)
Despite Rhythm Heaven’s dedicated fan base in Japan, I doubt they were as feverish as some supporters for the majority of newcomers for this game. So if anything, they were considered low priority in terms of Smash Ultimate’s project plan.
It could after all be the fact that they were a nightmare to develop, but considering there was work on these guys, I highly doubt that was the case.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Wow... I was so sure we we're gonna get a RH rep this time around, even if it wasn't chorus kids, but at least someone...
I'll be honest, I had lost hope after the Isabelle trailer, after she was shown as a full character and not an echo (don't get me wrong, I still love her!) because I realized how few character spots left there were since Sakurai said not to expect too much. The Grinch leak made me gain a bit of hope but I realized it was fake when the FINAL smash direct was announced, there was no way they were gonna reveal 7 chars. So Incineroar and Ken made it in as I had expected after Isabelle, althought I also expected Shadow for the last 3 characters to be revealed, so that was unexpected too. At least we also got Piranha which looks like a super fun addition to the game!

I'm hoping they show up as DLC. Third parties are cool, but there's already a large swath of them in the game, and it feels Smash is losing the sense that it's a Nintendo crossover.
It's crazy to think how we only got TWO new IPs for this game... and only one is first party.
Hopefully the DLC brings in more new first party IPs in general!

Apparently, Rhythm Heaven music, “Fruit Basket 2”, has been found in the game through one of the Japanese Nintendo Live livestreams with Sakurai. Not sure what this means for future DLC chances since they’ve already put Rhythm Heaven songs into the game.
If this is true... its really bad news. Music being absent would've been the best thing for us.
I don't wanna be a pessimist, but I'm gonna give my honest opinion now, as a HUGE Rhythm Heaven fan and supporter.
The 5 DLC characters have to have been chosen already, if there's gonna be stages WITH music coming in... then it would make no sense for them to add Rhythm Heaven music in a stage afterwards. It just makes more sense to hold on all the music to add later, because otherwise its gonna be awkward to have a series music in a stage that it doesn't belong to.
There COULD be the chance that they haven't even decided on the DLC yet, which is very unlikely since they're gonna release it throughout next year, so even if they're working on it from scratch, they HAVE to at least know which character they are gonna do, so as to not make them AT, etc.
I think Rex being shown as a Mii Costume with the excuse that "His game came waaay after our release plan", and which also explains why Springman is just an assist too, makes me think even the DLC is already decided, otherwise they wouldn't need to say that, as they could just make character that are "too new" as DLC if they are JUST NOW starting to work on it.
It really hurts that they didn't even add a RH stage (while electroplankton does have one...) nor have an assist trophy... at least we do get some music in other stages :/.
I could be wrong and we do end up getting a RH character in the end, but I'm honestly not holding my breath, or as optimistic as I was months ago...

As for spirits, Karate Joe is probably gonna be Ryu but I'm not sure what gimmick he would have, and the Chorus Kids are probably gonna be Jigglpuff spamming sing or white kirbys spamming inhale.
I think Reporter and Wrestler are also getting a spirit? If thats so, its probably gonna be Incineroar and a female character, probably a burnette like Daisy, or a Zelda or Villager alt? Anyways its gonna be cool to see them at least present in that way.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Rhythm Heaven is the one glaring ommission from the Nintendo SPD First Party group. It really is unfortunate we couldn’t get into base game. If DLC is nice to us, then it’ll really feel Ultimate. But for now, I’ll just pretend the Hanenbow stage is a Rhythm Heaven stage haha. Can’t wait to see the Sumo Bros spirit battle, maybe we’ll see two king dededes and a diddy kong.

Last edited:

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
It's really strange that, considering how Sakurai works on a moveset completely before starting to work on implementing a character, a potential original moveset is being lost. Of course, he could still do it for DLC, but what worries me is if RH is popular enough to bring sales as a DLC character.
For Smash 4, the DLC characters were huge 3rd party or cut characters coming back who would get the nostalgia sales, the only exception really was Corrin, who was used to promote a new game, and it was ANOTHER FE character, which some people have an issue with (I personally didn't care much).
However, even with the "dislike", people still bought Corrin, so I guess in the end it doesn't matter as much as people will most likely buy any character, as long as it looks fun.
If Rhythm Heaven gets a character AND a new game (or a switch port) announcement, it would probably be the best news ever for us fans of the series, but I'll just wait and see. It is true there isn't much to pick around from Nintendo's library as they decided to make most popular characters into Assist Trophies, so who knows, I hope we don't see every single DLC character as a 3rd party though (the only one I really want is Banjo anyways).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's really strange that, considering how Sakurai works on a moveset completely before starting to work on implementing a character, a potential original moveset is being lost. Of course, he could still do it for DLC, but what worries me is if RH is popular enough to bring sales as a DLC character.
For Smash 4, the DLC characters were huge 3rd party or cut characters coming back who would get the nostalgia sales, the only exception really was Corrin, who was used to promote a new game, and it was ANOTHER FE character, which some people have an issue with (I personally didn't care much).
However, even with the "dislike", people still bought Corrin, so I guess in the end it doesn't matter as much as people will most likely buy any character, as long as it looks fun.
If Rhythm Heaven gets a character AND a new game (or a switch port) announcement, it would probably be the best news ever for us fans of the series, but I'll just wait and see. It is true there isn't much to pick around from Nintendo's library as they decided to make most popular characters into Assist Trophies, so who knows, I hope we don't see every single DLC character as a 3rd party though (the only one I really want is Banjo anyways).
It’s worth noting that Corrin had the worst sales out of any DLC character.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
A Megamix port with a few more games added (seriously, where the **** are tap troupe, rap men, Bon odori, and dj school?) would be absolutely perfect. It'd be a great way to introduce the series to new people along with smash as a promotion. It wouldn't even take very long to port. We just gotta hope.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess its confirming that the DLC choices have been made already, and probably been done for a while now (again, with Springman and Rex not being even considered for DLC because they were too new). So its very likely gonna be characters to promote games.
Not really sure where RH as a franchise stands in all of this, there could be a new game or port announced and used a DLC character to promote it... But I'm not really sure. Chorus Kids were definetly a Sakurai choice character, and probably Piranha Plant was his last pick for the game too, as the surprise "WTF?" character, which I was really hoping would be a RH character.

If the worse ends up being true, my hate for the 3DS version of Smash 4 will increase even more, not only did it force Ice Climbers to be cut (although they did come back this time thankfully) and made Olimar lose 3 pikmins (at least his recovery was better, but I'll always prefer having more than 3, I think 4 would've been ideal), and now, presumably, it forced the trio character of Chorus Kids to be cut too (although it could've been for other reasons, its the only explanation I can think of).
Even if the worst happens (and we don't even get an Assist or a stage...) I really hope it isnt the end of the series and we get another game in the future :(

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Would you guys be content with Nintendo choosing someone different from RH? I wouldn’t mind Karate Joe, as long as there is a RH character at least. I can see Nintendo making some strange picks and maybe not even third party characters. A guess like: Karate Joe, Elma, Dixie Kong/Bandana Waddle Dee, Chibi-Robo!!/Dragalia Lost char and 9-Volt (which can represent all Nintendo hardware of all time). Would be really Nintendo-ish choices if the choices were made some ago.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
I’ll take anyone, I just want representation.

Also, here comes another Rhythm Heaven spirit. This time it’s Munchy Monk.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...
hmm i get the feeling nintendo may just want to promote certain switch games or perhaps just some of their own personal favourite characters

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
hmm i get the feeling nintendo may just want to promote certain switch games or perhaps just some of their own personal favourite characters
I'm really hoping Nintendo didn't pick these characters on a purely business point of view. I still have faith in their choices but we'll have to wait and see.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
I’ll take anyone, I just want representation.

Also, here comes another Rhythm Heaven spirit. This time it’s Munchy Monk.
Are all spirits gonna get a "playable" fight like we were shown for Gordo and Lakitu? Or is it just certain ones? It would be interesting to see who would be used to represent Munchy Monk in the game, probably Wario just chomping around?

Dibble

Smash Cadet
I already have low expectations for DLC so this doesn't really change my personal outlook on future fighters.
But didn't Nintendo recently update Rhythm Heaven's trademark? It's a somewhat big series and Nintendo is probably still interested in keeping the series going, so do you guys think a Rhythm Heaven game is in the works for the Switch? If that were the case, I can definitively see Nintendo requesting some sort of Rhythm Heaven representation IF their choices are mainly business-motivated.

Are all spirits gonna get a "playable" fight like we were shown for Gordo and Lakitu? Or is it just certain ones? It would be interesting to see who would be used to represent Munchy Monk in the game, probably Wario just chomping around?
Some of the spirits are unlocked by completing challenges. Usually challenge rewards are unique and can't be unlocked in any other way, so I assume spirits like Sandbag are challenge exclusive spirits and unfortunately won't get any fights.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Hmm. Could the RH/Warioware team be making a RH game for switch? They've just finished work for Warioware Gold released earlier this year, so it's not too far out of the realms of possibility at least.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Considering the implications, it seems like EVERY Spirit will get a playable battle (and I'm going to assume this includes all RH Spirits as well)

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure RH along with Isaac are likely to get Mii costumes. We obviously haven't seen them since Saki was just shown through the shop. Isaac is likely an assist again due to fan demand, so I'm pretty sure his costume is guaranteed. I'm predicting a wrestler costume for RH as it would make the most sense. We could even get the reporter using her microphone as a sword.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I just realized that’s the MegaMix artwork, so I’d say that Tibby is 90% a Spirit. Not that it deconfirms anyone obviously, just something I remembered.

As for DLC, I could honestly see a Rhythm Heaven character make it. Am I confident in them for this season pass? No, probably not.
But given Nintendo decided on the DLC this time around, the “relevancy” argument may actually mean something. Especially since Sakurai said that they were deciding what characters to add during the planning, given the roster finalization was in December 2015.
So it is very possible that Rhythm Heaven was on Nintendo’s radar at the time being, given MegaMix was being released that same year.

This could all mean nothing at the end of the day for our boys or any other Rhythm Heaven character, but I do find it as an interesting tidbit. Especially since they were decided early and by Nintendo themselves.
I'm pretty sure RH along with Isaac are likely to get Mii costumes. We obviously haven't seen them since Saki was just shown through the shop. Isaac is likely an assist again due to fan demand, so I'm pretty sure his costume is guaranteed. I'm predicting a wrestler costume for RH as it would make the most sense. We could even get the reporter using her microphone as a sword.
I’d actually unironically love that, if we got Mii costumes of both the reporter and the wrestler.
At least we’d be able to play as a Rhythm Heaven character!
Not really...

Last edited:
Top Bottom