• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Singing for Paradise Chorus Kids for Smash

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
If you're feeling worried about them being Spirits, just remember that Mewtwo got a trophy in Smash 4 and that didn't keep him from coming in the game.
And Spirits are serving as a sort of replacement for both trophies and stickers.
Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as ATs go, I'm not expecting any "upgrades". After all, they devoted quite a bit of resources this time around to make them serve as robust NPCs, which definitely took a bit of man-hours and work to achieve.
So I doubt they would want to scrap content considering that.
As far as concerning the Chrous Kids, I think they're in the clear for that.
Or rather, any Rhythm Heaven character by that logic.
Exactly, Mewtwo was a Trophy that got realized, and I think ATs upgrade will be easy considering they have the model and rigs to do (and I tell you as an animator that when you get those resources, it'll be E A S Y) . Easy character is an easy buck, and Sakurai is an unpredictable man, we did get his WTF pick (which honestly I was a little bit hyped) and we will not know. Rathalos is both a BOSS and AT, I think a character and AT at the same time is possible AND money convenient

dont lose hope LOL, they might reveal the season 1 pass at Feb, which is most likely to go with Street Fighter's announcement for the pass.

Dibble

Smash Cadet
Gonna be honest, I was more dissapointed by the way Sakurai introduced Spirit Mode and spirits than I was dissapointed by the falseness of the Grinch Leak. I didn't particularily care for Ken and Incineroar but they look pretty good and fun, and I actually really adore Pirana Plant. I will say I absolutely loved that last sneek peak of Spirits mode, and it really redeemed the otherwise lifeless and boring way it was described as in the beginning.
I just feel like the rest of the revealed content isn't much to bring home about. I mean season passes, day-one/pre-order exclusive DLC, loss of trophies, Isaac as an assist trophy... it just wasn't a very glorious final direct and I wouldn't be surprised it it accidentally soured a large number of people's views on Ultimate.

Anyways, there's still some chance for Chorus Kids as DLC I suppose. We know that after Pirana Plant, each 5 DLC characters come with a stage and a good amount of music, implying we're probably going to be getting a lot of newcomers from unrepresented series or major spin-offs.

I will admit I am dissapointed by the fact that the Grinch leak is fake. I imagine a lot of people are, and I'm already seeing a lot of people from team fake mocking team real while they're down. However we shouldn't let that dissapointment consume us as that's most likely the intention of the faker. I'm not angry or anything but I will be taking a moment to relax and wrap my head around the situation. Maybe play deltarune a bit more i dunno.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I'm hoping they show up as DLC. Third parties are cool, but there's already a large swath of them in the game, and it feels Smash is losing the sense that it's a Nintendo crossover.

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
Okay so I watched the Direct again and about the DLC....

>DLC season 1 will be expected to be done at Feb 2020, roughly a year like most seasonal dlcs of fighting games
>IDK if they will make more after but heres hoping we get 10-15 DLCs (Sold 5 sets per pass, per season)
>A new stage with each pass may mean that these fighters are from series NOT REPRESENTED YET (yup we still have a chance)
>Pirahnna Plant may have been added as Sakurai's WTF character and *might be the Mario Tennis Ace rep
>I speculating that most of the DLC will have two 3rd parties each season

Dibble

Smash Cadet
>Pirahnna Plant may have been added as Sakurai's WTF character and *might be the Mario Tennis Ace rep
My working theory for Pirana Plant is that he legitemately started out as a sort of jokey character during development but the developpers quickly grew attached to him while working on it. I think Sakurai and his team were just having fun making him.
He makes sense as a quick non-serious character as he's one of the easier characters to animate (Head on a stalk, Body is a pot) and moves do genuinely come naturally to mind, as in retrospect Piranha Plant is one of the mario mooks that do have the most moveset potential.
I'm also assuming Petey Piranha is returning as a boss from subspace judging by Galleom's return and the fact he's still holding cages. This could also fit the narrative of Piranha Plant being a somewhat easy character to make. Or I could just be wrong I just don't know anymore.

Also I know this isn't really the thread to disscuss this but I hope Piranha doesn't get too much hate. He's fairly harmless all things considered, but people are going to use him as a symbol of terrible DLC and that makes me a bit sad because he seems like a fun fighter. We should be a bit more focused on keeping up support for our individual wants and stay hopeful for DLC. Or maybe hope is a bad idea considering the current state of the smash community. Again I just don't know what to think of anything anymore.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
My working theory for Pirana Plant is that he legitemately started out as a sort of jokey character during development but the developpers quickly grew attached to him while working on it. I think Sakurai and his team were just having fun making him.
He makes sense as a quick non-serious character as he's one of the easier characters to animate (Head on a stalk, Body is a pot) and moves do genuinely come naturally to mind, as in retrospect Piranha Plant is one of the mario mooks that do have the most moveset potential.
I'm also assuming Petey Piranha is returning as a boss from subspace judging by Galleom's return and the fact he's still holding cages. This could also fit the narrative of Piranha Plant being a somewhat easy character to make. Or I could just be wrong I just don't know anymore.

Also I know this isn't really the thread to disscuss this but I hope Piranha doesn't get too much hate. He's fairly harmless all things considered, but people are going to use him as a symbol of terrible DLC and that makes me a bit sad because he seems like a fun fighter. We should be a bit more focused on keeping up support for our individual wants and stay hopeful for DLC. Or maybe hope is a bad idea considering the current state of the smash community. Again I just don't know what to think of anything anymore.
I like Piranha but the circumstances in which he came into the roster are EXTREMELY unfortunate.

Dibble

Smash Cadet
I like Piranha but the circumstances in which he came into the roster are EXTREMELY unfortunate.
Yes it's quite similar to Federation Force's situation the more I think of it. If circumstances were better, he would have been welcomed in open arms or at the very worst just met with mild confusion.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
This was definitely a disappointing Direct, considering all we've been dealing with before this past week. That said, I'm still optimistic and excited to have the game in hand December 7th! I'm taking off that Friday and Monday and playing for four days, trying to unlock as many characters as possible with my friends and enjoy every bit of it I can play. Despite the tragic loss of the Grinch leak and no longer having the prospect of Issac, Geno, Shadow, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, and, of course, Banjo & Kazooie in the base roster, I still give major props to whoever made that banner. It inspired hope in us and I for one am keeping that fake banner in my collection of photos just as a reminder that the perfect Smash roster may yet be made some day. I hold no hard feelings towards Sakurai and know he's doing his best to please as many people as possible. This game is still going to be fun to play with my friends and hopefully maybe someday everyone's favorites will manage to make it in. I hope you all keep your spirits high and not get mired down in disappointment for too long. This game can still be surprising and entertaining. Hope to see you all on the battlefield!

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I want to say the lack of any Rhythm Heaven content aside from stickers is a good thing, but maybe Sakrurai just doesn't really care for the series at all...
Don't give up. They could still be DLC

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So I've just watched the direct and I've got to say I'm disappointed by the lack of Rhythm heaven content. Not only no fighters but no assist trophy, no stages, and probably no new music. It's kind of weird to think that Joy mech Fight or Electroplankton have more representation in smash than Rhythm heaven.

Not gonna lie, I don't have that much hope for rhythm heaven DLC, except if there's a game in development for switch and they want to make a tie announcement like Isabelle.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Hello Choruskidsbros, everyone is kinda down today since what would be close to the perfect smashbros roster just slip out of our hands.

However it's not over, we must tell Nintendo that the Grinch leak is the closest thing to what we want.

So I propose a common discord server were we can promote our characters and help each others out.

Let's all hang together on Grinchcord!

https://discord.gg/vgvAtW

LetterO

Smash Lord
Luckily, we all survived the mass murder of ATs. DLC is still a very real possibility for us unlike other characters unfortunately, but even if Spirits do deconfirm characters, a certain other very possible RH character has not been spotted yet, and could work just as well.

afro bear.png

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I have to wonder why Rhythm Heaven received so little. Heck, even Fatal Frame got an assist. I want to say it's because we're getting a character as DLC, but i don't know. All of the assist trophies and especially the Mii costumes seem to be taken from the ballot, and I don't think we did too hot there. If the DLC is just the characters cut for time, then maybe it's possible, but I doubt people want to buy RH DLC...

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I have to wonder why Rhythm Heaven received so little. Heck, even Fatal Frame got an assist. I want to say it's because we're getting a character as DLC, but i don't know. All of the assist trophies and especially the Mii costumes seem to be taken from the ballot, and I don't think we did too hot there. If the DLC is just the characters cut for time, then maybe it's possible, but I doubt people want to buy RH DLC...
I get that everyone is down on these guys' chances after this direct, but something I noticed is that:
Rhythm Heaven is one of the few prominent Nintendo series left without an actual character, stage, or "universe".

The only other ones that come to mind are Style Savy and Custom Robo, and the latter already received a Mii costume.

And also, I highly doubt that a Rhythm Heaven character wouldn't sell. Maybe it wouldn't sell so much here in the West, but I think they'd do pretty well in Nintendo's home country.
I mean after all, in Japan, Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus sold through 82% of it's initial shipment and had pretty strong sales considered. Not to mention the series has a pretty dedicated fanbase over there.
Also, it definitely has more longevity and entries than some other series commonly mentioned for the ballot and this iteration, as Rhythm Heaven does consistenly sell decently overall.
I think a lot of people forget or outright ignore that, especially since a lot of us have a western perspective.
(I mean it wouldn't be the first time they put Japan-centric characters as DLC. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt they preformed as strongly overseas as they did there.)

So while I definitely don't think these kids are necessarily the first in line for DLC, I think they have a pretty damn good shot.
After all, most recognized picks are already out of the running by being too recent. (Ex.: Rex and Pyra, Edelgard, etc.)
Or already deconfirmed as an Assist Trophy. (Skull Kid, Isaac, Spring Man, etc.) Couple that with the DLC most likely being decided after the base roster was finalized, there's not too many options for Nintendo characters or new series.

So considering all of that, it is very possible that we may see a Rhythm Heaven character actually make it in.
Especially if they come with their own stage and music, RH is pretty plentiful in that regard.
And while this is definitely subjective, I do think throwing in a cute quirky character like the Chorus Kids or, like LetterO LetterO was saying, Tibby would definitely turn heads.
(Someone like Karate Joe or the Wandering Samurai, probably not so much...)

All in all, I wouldn't necessarily say they're a shoo-in for DLC, but it's not like it can't happen period.
I just think with the details we know about the Season Pass and the upcoming DLC, it opened a lot of options for Sakurai and possibilities for us to see.
Honestly, despite whatever the outcome is, I can't wait to see it and hope it's in the favor of the Chorus Kids!

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I get that everyone is down on these guys' chances after this direct, but something I noticed is that:
Rhythm Heaven is one of the few prominent Nintendo series left without an actual character, stage, or "universe".

The only other ones that come to mind are Style Savy and Custom Robo, and the latter already received a Mii costume.

And also, I highly doubt that a Rhythm Heaven character wouldn't sell. Maybe it wouldn't sell so much here in the West, but I think they'd do pretty well in Nintendo's home country.
I mean after all, in Japan, Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus sold through 82% of it's initial shipment and had pretty strong sales considered. Not to mention the series has a pretty dedicated fanbase over there.
Also, it definitely has more longevity and entries than some other series commonly mentioned for the ballot and this iteration, as Rhythm Heaven does consistenly sell decently overall.
I think a lot of people forget or outright ignore that, especially since a lot of us have a western perspective.
(I mean it wouldn't be the first time they put Japan-centric characters as DLC. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt they preformed as strongly overseas as they did there.)

So while I definitely don't think these kids are necessarily the first in line for DLC, I think they have pretty damn good shot.
After all, most recognized picks are already out of the running by being too recent. (Ex.: Rex and Pyra, Edelgard, etc.)
Or already deconfirmed as an Assist Trophy. (Skull Kid, Isaac, Spring Man, etc.) Couple that with the DLC most likely being decided after the base roster was finalized, there's not too many options for Nintendo characters or new series.

So considering all of that, it is very possible that we may see a Rhythm Heaven character actually make it in.
Especially if they come with their own stage and music, RH is pretty plentiful in that regard.
And while this is definitely subjective, I do think throwing in a cute quirky character like the Chorus Kids or, like LetterO LetterO was saying, Tibby would definitely turn heads.
(Someone like Karate Joe or the Wandering Samurai, probably not so much...)

All in all, I wouldn't necessarily say they're a shoo-in for DLC, but it's not like it can't happen period.
I just think with the details we know about the Season Pass and the upcoming DLC, it opened a lot of options for Sakurai and possibilities for us to see.
Honestly, despite whatever the outcome is, I can't wait to see it and hope it's in the favor of the Chorus Kids!
Sorry for being so negative, this direct's just gotten me kinda down.
You make some good points, and I think it's possible too. Rhythm Heaven is bigger than Fatal Frame, Chibi-Robo, Custom Robo, and even Golden Sun, right? I feel like if a character wasn't planned, we would've at least gotten an assist or costume. The timing really helps us out here as well.
I'll continue hoping. I won't settle for a spirit!

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Sorry for being so negative, this direct's just gotten me kinda down.
You make some good points, and I think it's possible too. Rhythm Heaven is bigger than Fatal Frame, Chibi-Robo, Custom Robo, and even Golden Sun, right? I feel like if a character wasn't planned, we would've at least gotten an assist or costume. The timing really helps us out here as well.
I'll continue hoping. I won't settle for a spirit!
Yeah, that's something everyone tends to not mention. Rhythm Heaven is objectively bigger than all of those series.
Especially since it's really the only series out of those mentioned still ongoing to this day and amassed more sales than them. (Poor Chibi-Robo)

And also I honestly think the same, as I feel we could've seen some sort of Assist Trophy or a costume of one of the various characters like Karate Joe.
So I'm hoping we finally see them make their playable debut through DLC.

Last edited:

glovetheglove

Smash Rookie
Unlike the rest of the great Assist Trophy killings today, not a single Rhythm Heaven rep was among the cast. I think our time is just beginning.

Until the FINAL DLC character is named (which might be after TWO years if the first round sells enough and Nintendo CLEARLY wants to support this game for a while), then we STILL HAVE A CHANCE.

I'm staying optimistic about our boys :)

Last edited:

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
Unlike the rest of the great Assist Trophy killings today, not a single Rhythm Heaven rep was among the cast. I think our time is just beginning.

Until the FINAL DLC character is named (which might be after TWO years if the first round sells enough and Nintendo CLEARLY wants to support this game for a while), then we STILL HAVE A CHANCE.

I'm staying optimistic about our boys :)
Yeah, Im still holding on to that "seasonal DLC" theory. Theres a LOT of characters to be chosen for them to stop (like what Sakurai said). But thinking now, I may sound like a spoiled child since we already got 75 characters with 5 coming along the way. Im just praying that this game's longevity will be as long as melee's.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but even if Spirits do deconfirm characters
That would be a whole lot of deconfirmations if that's true. These are supposed to be the replacements for trophies, and we still got Mewtwo and Lucas DLC despite already having trophies.

Staarih

Smash Master
Seeing how the DLC comes in a set of a character, a stage and multiple songs, I'm thinking they might be franchises (or at least specific games from bigger series') not represented in Ultimate yet, because with a set like this, it's easy to introduce a whole new franchise in the game. And seeing as we saw like nothing of Rhythm Heaven as of yet (and even if we did, a few related spirits here and there wouldn't kill anything), I feel like a DLC set based on it is possible and that's what I'm personally rooting for.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Seeing how the DLC comes in a set of a character, a stage and multiple songs, I'm thinking they might be franchises (or at least specific games from bigger series') not represented in Ultimate yet, because with a set like this, it's easy to introduce a whole new franchise in the game. And seeing as we saw like nothing of Rhythm Heaven as of yet (and even if we did, a few related spirits here and there wouldn't kill anything), I feel like a DLC set based on it is possible and that's what I'm personally rooting for.
Actually it doesn't. Remember, Corrin came along and had music but didn't get a new stage.

Unfortunately we have to assume nothing. They could even throw a curveball and have the stage and music come from a completely unrelated franchise.

We just don't know.

Rooting for you guys! Congrats on surviving the purge yesterday!

Last edited:

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
It’s crazy to think that a Rhythm Heaven character has survived, but it’ll really hurt if we still can’t get in the game through the DLC. I know there are a ton of third party options left, but first parties are scarce. All noticeable ones we have left are Yo-Kai Watch, Paper Mario, Rhythm Heaven, and Excitebike if I’m correct. So all we have to do is hope that Sakurai focuses on first parties for DLC. I understand that he can pick another character from an already existing Smash universe, but getting another stage for the same series just seems unlikely to me. Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas and Corrin didn’t get stages revealed for them. But Bayonetta, Cloud, and Ryu did.

Aw man, another round of speculation, here we go again.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
It’s crazy to think that a Rhythm Heaven character has survived, but it’ll really hurt if we still can’t get in the game through the DLC. I know there are a ton of third party options left, but first parties are scarce. All noticeable ones we have left are Yo-Kai Watch, Paper Mario, Rhythm Heaven, and Excitebike if I’m correct. So all we have to do is hope that Sakurai focuses on first parties for DLC. I understand that he can pick another character from an already existing Smash universe, but getting another stage for the same series just seems unlikely to me. Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas and Corrin didn’t get stages revealed for them. But Bayonetta, Cloud, and Ryu did.

Aw man, another round of speculation, here we go again.
Yokai Watch is third party. Paper Mario belongs to the general Mario series and already has a stage based on 3 of the 5 Paper Mario titles.

The only other first party franchises left are Sin & Punishment, Advance Wars, Excitebike, Fossil Fighters (lol) or Style Savvy, all of which have been dormant and/or a smaller fanbase.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Yokai Watch is third party. Paper Mario belongs to the general Mario series and already has a stage based on 3 of the 5 Paper Mario titles.

The only other first party franchises left are Sin & Punishment, Advance Wars, Excitebike, Fossil Fighters (lol) or Style Savvy, all of which have been dormant and/or a smaller fanbase.
Ah yes, thank you for the clarification on that. I totally forgot about that Paper Mario stage, probably because the Boswer section is so jank lol. So based on that info, Rhythm Heaven is BY FAR the biggest first party left. The one that comes closest is...Style Savvy, which did get a particularly nice song remix in Smash 4. Excitebike would be a good contender too if we aren’t counting relevancy.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes, thank you for the clarification on that. I totally forgot about that Paper Mario stage, probably because the Boswer section is so jank lol. So based on that info, Rhythm Heaven is BY FAR the biggest first party left. The one that comes closest is...Style Savvy, which did get a particularly nice song remix in Smash 4. Excitebike would be a good contender too if we aren’t counting relevancy.
Yep, I hate that stage in general but that Bowser section is truly terrible, god.

I agree. At this point I'd say either Rhythm Heaven or no new Nintendo IP for DLC. Unlike in the base roster, the franchise needs to be commonly known at least. And RH seems to be the last Nintendo IP to have that status partly due to the Gematsu leak but also due to having sold a lot better than other franchises. So Savvy and Excitebike are out imo.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator

Maybe.... but just maybe... this could foreshadow the Chorus Kids as DLC-fighter? It might be far-fetched, but the chances are not over, it's speculation time!

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Maybe.... but just maybe... this could foreshadow the Chorus Kids as DLC-fighter? It might be far-fetched, but the chances are not over, it's speculation time!
We have to stay strong! The last bastion standing for a new Nintendo franchise. Ultimate isn't Ultimate when there's only Splatoon as new first party franchise! And I would love seeing the Chorus Kids as a part of those legends adressed in those lyrics!

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Like though there are spirits of Karate Joe and Chorus Kids according to the site (tho none of Tibby yet to be seen...) that still makes for like five different spirits for a series that (unless there's some RH music in the Other section) otherwise has practically no representation in Ultimate. Also, the DLC possibly being chosen at the same time as the base roster. There would have perhaps thus been a lot of space for a RH character, the franchise also just having a Japan-great selling game released at the time. Maybe they were picked as DLC as pretty much all of the base newcomers were higher priority for this or that reason.

potato69

Smash Apprentice
In case anybody still has doubts abouts having spirits as fighters, Daisy was recently shown to be a spirit in Nintendo's livestream (a "fighter spirit", but still a spirit nonetheless). The Chorus Kids dream never dies!
Screenshot_20181103-010201_Twitch.jpg

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Apparently, Rhythm Heaven music, “Fruit Basket 2”, has been found in the game through one of the Japanese Nintendo Live livestreams with Sakurai. Not sure what this means for future DLC chances since they’ve already put Rhythm Heaven songs into the game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Great, now I am feeling anxious about Chorus Kids again. :/

Between speculating Elma because of the lack of X music in Gaur Plains and this, it is quite frustrating. lol

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
If a series that started in the GBA and has continued to appear in every Nintendo system, selling over a million copies in both its handheld releases worldwide, is regulated to just spirits and non-remixed music, I will consider it a giant disservice to the series.

Dibble

Smash Cadet
oh.
Well this stings a little. It's not an outright deconfirmation, but it can only be interpretated as either nothing, or a bad sign.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's really frustrating to think about that Sakurai had planned a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash 4, only for Ultimate to possibly never plan Chorus Kids at all for base game/DLC to become a real possibility with our current situation.

Rhythm Heaven is a Nintendo series that has already proven its worthiness for character representation. And if things don't turn out for Chorus Kids, I don't know what I will think of Sakurai anymore. It just feels so unlike Sakurai to abandon a character he thought was worthy last Smash game. It feels incredibly uncharacteristic of Sakurai, as the man who gives even obscure, but high quality Nintendo franchises like MOTHER and Xenoblade character representation.

Ugh...

Last edited:

Dibble

Smash Cadet
Yesterday my overall mood was also just starting to recover a little too...
I guess hope really is for fools. From here on out, I'll just expect the worst just to save myself from any further developments.

Well I say that, but I will never truly stop believing in them. I think just about everyone's feeling a little down now and I do hate contributing to that, so I'll try to stay supportive of the Chorus Kids until the bitter end.

Top Bottom