• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choosing my second main + secondaries

AriSua

Smash Rookie
Hello there! I wanted to try to be more focused this time around in SSBU, as in the past I used to use every single character a lot (not competitively obvs though I´d love to) and I want to narrow it down. It´s just so difficult. All I have gathered so far is that I want to main Zelda 100%. I´d like to dual main + dual secondary (maybe three secondaries if I find myself having WAAAAY too much time). So I´m going to leave a draft here so you guys can tell me what you think as I never did this before:

Main: Zelda. And also Palutena/Lucas, still to be decided.
Secondary: Pit/Dark Pit and Corrin/Lucina/Roy/Chrom (still to be decided, although I kinda favor Corrin/Lucina) and I was wondering if maybe Link could do the trick.

Extra. Some of my personal favorites I left outside: Pichu, Pkmn Trainer, Toon Link, Shulk, Inkling, Incineroar.

What do you think? How sustainable is this? What would you do with this info. I used to play Lucas the most in Brawl and Sm4sh even if I didn´t main-main him so that´s kinda a pro I guess.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
The meta is a litle too young to properly answer your question unfortunately. I would say your secondary would need to be able to handle large disjoints and characters with reflectors, as those will likely be difficult matchups for Zelda. Your list being full of sword characters will be helpful, but I would narrow it down to one or two secondaries. Playing to many characters will make your skill with your secondaries a little too weak.

AriSua

Smash Rookie
The meta is a litle too young to properly answer your question unfortunately. I would say your secondary would need to be able to handle large disjoints and characters with reflectors, as those will likely be difficult matchups for Zelda. Your list being full of sword characters will be helpful, but I would narrow it down to one or two secondaries. Playing to many characters will make your skill with your secondaries a little too weak.
Yeah what I meant to say is that it would be either Pit or Dark Pit for the first secondary and one of those FE characters for the second (while doubting how good Link would do, because I find him to be quite good this time around). I wouldn't dream of perfectly playing all of those haha thanks for the answer

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Yeah what I meant to say is that it would be either Pit or Dark Pit for the first secondary and one of those FE characters for the second (while doubting how good Link would do, because I find him to be quite good this time around). I wouldn't dream of perfectly playing all of those haha thanks for the answer
Pit's pretty good in Ultimate and I think would likely go even with a lot of Zelda's potential bad match-ups.
For an FE I would probably go with Lucina. I've always thought Marth was over-hyped in 4 as being a better
Lucina and making her redundant.

While theoretically being better, in practice his tippers were hard to hit
consistently even for top players and there was far more opportunities for Lucina to KO as well as more situations
where Lucina would have KO'd and Marth didn't. From what I've heard and seen in Ultimate, Lucina is definitively the
better of the two.

The new offstage mechanics require much less in terms of power to successfully KO and thus having
even damage throughout the blade will be better than trying to space tippers. If this is going to be your secondary
then definitely go with Lucina. Marth needs practice to successfully land tippers and is better suited for a main.
Of course I haven't fully tested either because I've been too busy playing Zelda so it's possible Ultimate made
tippers easier.

Last edited:

AriSua

Smash Rookie
Pit's pretty good in Ultimate and I think would likely go even with a lot of Zelda's potential bad match-ups.
For an FE I would probably go with Lucina. I've always thought Marth was over-hyped in 4 as being a better
Lucina and making her redundant.

While theoretically being better, in practice his tippers were hard to hit
consistently even for top players and there was far more opportunities for Lucina to KO as well as more situations
where Lucina would have KO'd and Marth didn't. From what I've heard and seen in Ultimate, Lucina is definitively the
better of the two.

The new offstage mechanics require much less in terms of power to successfully KO and thus having
even damage throughout the blade will be better than trying to space tippers. If this is going to be your secondary
then definitely go with Lucina. Marth needs practice to successfully land tippers and is better suited for a main.
Of course I haven't fully tested either because I've been too busy playing Zelda so it's possible Ultimate made
tippers easier.
I haven´t fully tested them either, but I´ve been playing around with Lucina a bit more and I definitely like her even more than I did in Sm4sh if that helps. It makes it very easy to play offstage, which I don´t expect to do with Roy or Chrom. Although I still feel Corrin has a good feel to her, so I still have to see who I prefer (probably Lucina but who knows.) Pit, I haven´t tried him that much but I do feel a lot of improvements from previous entries. And I also feel that by maining Pit I´ll be able to play Dark Pit if I need to against heavier characters, as they are still very similar to play.

Overall, I´ve been playing Zelda since I unlocked her, but I try to play at least a few matches with each fighter I unlock to know how they work and be able to fight them better. I am really loving mages in this game.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I haven´t fully tested them either, but I´ve been playing around with Lucina a bit more and I definitely like her even more than I did in Sm4sh if that helps. It makes it very easy to play offstage, which I don´t expect to do with Roy or Chrom. Although I still feel Corrin has a good feel to her, so I still have to see who I prefer (probably Lucina but who knows.) Pit, I haven´t tried him that much but I do feel a lot of improvements from previous entries. And I also feel that by maining Pit I´ll be able to play Dark Pit if I need to against heavier characters, as they are still very similar to play.

Overall, I´ve been playing Zelda since I unlocked her, but I try to play at least a few matches with each fighter I unlock to know how they work and be able to fight them better. I am really loving mages in this game.
They all largely share the same strengths and weaknesses, so it'll likely come down to personal preference. I noticed Lucina's
up b no longer has the horizontal drift it did in Smash 4. That doesn't make it much better than Chrom or Roy's. It wasn't much
but sometimes that slight drift was what you needed. Pick which ever dash dance and play you like the best.
They all have the same foundation with slight tweaks to things like range, speed, and dash. Robin of course being the exception and Corrin being a slight one.

That's good that you are gathering information on other fighters. I mentioned in another thread that match-up knowledge was going to be
important for Zelda and further play is starting to prove that right. Some characters like Link, Simon/Richter, and Snake are going
to need more aggressive play. Others like heavys can usually be camped. Most FE characters will need a mix of offense and defense.
I have yet to play the majority of the cast, given how huge it is, so gathering as much information as possible
is what we should be doing.

Top Bottom