• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choosing a secondary to compliment Wario

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen too much discussion on here about choosing a secondary for Wario, so I thought I'd start a thread about it. I've struggled for a long time trying to decide whether I should just play my main or have a secondary/tertiary character(s), and I've only recently settled on ROB (for now), and maybe, MAYBE DK (I do really well against the local Marths with DK, but they more often can counterpick their "fun" character against DK and I'll have trouble all over again so I'm not entirely sold on this).

I'd like to pose a couple of questions for all you Wario mains: Do you have a secondary? A tertiary? What MUs do you reserve them for? What stages? How did you choose your non-mains? Why did you choose them?

I personally chose ROB because of his validity against the majority of the characters that give me issues (Samus/Tink/Link/Ivysaur/ROB), he's also good against a lot of melee top tiers (which people often default to if they feel pressured), he has the same jumpsquat (5 frames, makes WDing and SHFFLs more consistent for me since I don't have to adjust), and he has a really great aerial game / maneuverability. I like to pick ROB in some matchups that aren't necessarily poop for me if the stage is good. I personally think if my opponent picks Final Destination or Dreamland and the matchup ain't bad for ROB, I might as well go ROB to totally throw them off.

Of course, ROB plays very differently, being much more into zoning and camping, but I tend to get aggressive with him and chain up combos, while still using the gyro and beam to snipe people when I need to. I like his DACUS even though it's not as useful as Wario's. ROB also doesn't have too many great OoS options (like Wario) but has a really high number of useful moves (also like Wario). His grabs are really good, d-throw having a ton of followups, again, similarly to Wario, and has a very good tech-chasing game.

There are some matchups that aren't exactly great for either character, or just for me personally. Mario and Falco give me a hard time, and ROB might be slightly better at those matchups but I'm not entirely certain. Shiek is one matchup that I think I'd probably do worse using ROB, but I've yet to test that theory.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on picking a secondary for Wario? I'd really like to hear your processes for that.

Last edited:

Agi

Smash Lord
I'm kind of interested in hearing this too. I've picked up ZSS, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, and Falco in varying levels of seriousness, though none of them even come close to my Wario. I'd say a strong projectile game/ability to not be forced to make the first move is a strong attribute for a secondary, and the drastically different falling speed can help if that's what's hurting you in your opponent's punish game.

ZSS is the one I'm really trying to build up now though, because she's fun as hell and has strings like no other. No other reason really, just a very different set of tools to pull out against an unwary opponent.

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
ZSS is the one I'm really trying to build up now though, because she's fun as hell and has strings like no other. No other reason really, just a very different set of tools to pull out against an unwary opponent.
Yeah she's pretty different I'd say, and much thinner/more elusive than Wario for sure. Her interesting disjoints and great bait and punish game with a projectile is a good compliment too. Do you find it difficult to switch gears? I don't really have a problem with it, but I'm certainly going to have to fine tune my ROB tech skill to be any good with the character (like boost shenanigans and AGT).

Last edited:

Thermal

Smash Rookie
I used to play Lucas but their playstyles are very different so I dropped him. (ALOT of tech needed) He also had someof the bad MU's wario has. I have been playing around with Ness but nothing to serious. I wouldn't really want to pick up ROB but what are some good characters to try?

moonfolk

Smash Apprentice
I used to play Lucas but their playstyles are very different so I dropped him. (ALOT of tech needed) He also had someof the bad MU's wario has. I have been playing around with Ness but nothing to serious. I wouldn't really want to pick up ROB but what are some good characters to try?
Well that depends on what you like and how you play. I personally went with ROB because of how radically different he was from Wario in the neutral and how well he can deal with projectiles while still having the same jumpsquat. And I like ROB. What are some troublesome matchups you have? I hear Marth is always a good secondary to have.

Thermal

Smash Rookie
What are some troublesome matchups you have? I hear Marth is always a good secondary to have.
I think Marth would probably be the best solution to my problems but he honestly feels a just bit boring to me. My worst MUs are probably Toon Link, Zelda, Ivysaur, Marth, and Ike.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I have a mario, but I rarely use him since I want so badly to just play wario in tournament, but marth. I also have a fairly decent ganon. I know how to play him considering one of my mentors played him. I used to main him back in the brawl+ days too, but everyone in TN had a ganon in those days, so he's become my funsies/doubles character.

I've been told numerous times to pick up luigi, and I'm considering it, though it seems like a pretty difficult endeavor.

rye_un

Smash Cadet
I love the Wario DK combination even though I feel like there's really no to. I think has a better MU vs Marth and Roy but idk.

Child Star

Smash Ace
I think Marth and Fox are two characters that make really really solid secondaries if youre looking to play around bad MUs. Mind you that these would be your second round picks after a loss, so if youre in the game to have fun, play wario. If you want to win a bunch having them as a secondary is pretty useful.

So, I'm a Wario main looking for a new secondary since Bowser got nerfed pretty hard. I used to use Bowser to cover the Marth MU, since Wario has a hard time against characters with disjoints. Does anyone feel similar to Wario? Everyone keeps telling me to play Jigs, but they say she's not as good as him in PM.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Wait, are you saying bowser got nerfed in the recent patch? Because I can assure you he didn't, he's kinda ridiculous. Don't play jiggs, wario is better in every way that matters.

Wait, are you saying bowser got nerfed in the recent patch? Because I can assure you he didn't, he's kinda ridiculous. Don't play jiggs, wario is better in every way that matters.
I thought he was less polarizing in the current patch. I didn't really play 3.6beta. Just kinda went from 3.5 to 3.6. In 3.5 he was super ridiculous. I'll avoid Jigs then. I'm still not sure who to pick up though. Because another character would benefit me greatly.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
especially in cutieness.
I'd certainly let that fine upstanding gentleman walk me home.

I thought he was less polarizing in the current patch. I didn't really play 3.6beta. Just kinda went from 3.5 to 3.6. In 3.5 he was super ridiculous. I'll avoid Jigs then. I'm still not sure who to pick up though. Because another character would benefit me greatly.
Replace all the janky armor stuff with faster moves, better fire breath, more damage, better dthrow, and a new option out of his command throw and you got 3.6 bowser. If you still think he's bad, which I'll never understand that line of reasoning, idk, seems like you have a thing for the evil big boys, maybe ganon?

I'd certainly let that fine upstanding gentleman walk me home.

Replace all the janky armor stuff with faster moves, better fire breath, more damage, better dthrow, and a new option out of his command throw and you got 3.6 bowser. If you still think he's bad, which I'll never understand that line of reasoning, idk, seems like you have a thing for the evil big boys, maybe ganon?
I'll just have to adjust it seems. Never really had to go through that before since Wario hasn't had any tweaks that would drastically affect how I'd play him. I'll consider Ganondorf, if that doesn't work out, I'll just get gud with Bowser. Ha.

Top Bottom