• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choose one character to remove from each game's set of new characters.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Choose one character to remove from each game's set of new characters. Try to give reasoning. So that means remove one character from.....

64 - :mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::falcon64::ness64::jigglypuff64::yoshi64::samus64::link64:

Melee - :peachmelee::bowsermelee::icsmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::drmario::pichumelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::gawmelee:

Brawl - :metaknight::pit::zerosuitsamus::warioc::snake::ike::pt::diddy::lucas::sonic::dedede::olimar::lucario::rob::toonlink::wolf:

Smash 4 - :4lucina::4darkpit::4villager::4megaman::4wiifit::rosalina::4littlemac::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4ryu::4cloud::4corrinf::4bayonetta::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:(Miis count as one character)

Ultimate - :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultken::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar:

My opinions. Will give reasoning in later post.

64 - :jigglypuff64:

Melee - :pichumelee:

Brawl - :lucario:

Smash 4 - :4littlemac:

Ultimate - :ultdaisy:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Choose one character to remove from each game's set of new characters. Try to give reasoning. So that means remove one character from.....

64 - :mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::falcon64::ness64::jigglypuff64::yoshi64::samus64::link64:

Melee - :peachmelee::bowsermelee::icsmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::drmario::pichumelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::gawmelee:

Brawl - :metaknight::pit::zerosuitsamus::warioc::snake::ike::pt::diddy::lucas::sonic::dedede::olimar::lucario::rob::toonlink::wolf:

Smash 4 - :4lucina::4darkpit::4villager::4megaman::4wiifit::rosalina::4littlemac::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4ryu::4cloud::4corrinf::4bayonetta::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:(Miis count as one character)

Ultimate - :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultken::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar:

My opinions. Will give reasoning in later post.

64 - :jigglypuff64:

Melee - :pichumelee:

Brawl - :lucario:

Smash 4 - :4littlemac:

Ultimate - :ultdaisy:
64 - :jigglypuff64: Most expendable since it isn't really relevant and Pokémon would get more characters regardless.

Melee - :drmario: Feels really forced as a Mario clone. Deserves something better and more original.

Brawl - :toonlink: Even though I like him better, I really didn't see the point in adding him when Young Link already existed.

Smash 4 - :4lucina: I dislike Dark Pit more, but because Roy already exists, I feel like she was less essential.

Smash 5 - :ultchrom: Out of all the Echoes, Chrom is the one I just don't get. We already had three variations of Marth. We didn't need four. Could've given that development time to a character who doesn't have any clones.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ah, I like this one.

:jigglypuff64: - To be honest should have been Meowth anyway. Only one that doesn't have her own game series in the modern day.

:drmario: - A lot of people argue there's too many Mario characters. Doc is the most pointless roster edition to date IMO as at least the Links eventually ended up as different people. I'd be pretty happy to cut Ice Climbers due to an absolute disdain for that game, Young Link due to being the exact same Link as the Melee adult one and Roy due to us not getting his game still.

:zerosuitsamus: - I really hate multiple versions of the same character, what can I say? Others I'd consider include Toon Link(if Young Link stays, that's a lot of the same reincarnated soul), and Lucas for the same reason as Roy; we haven't got his game still.

:4bayonetta: - Actually not my least favourite of the cast but still think it's a little off that she was presented as the ballot winner when Nintendo already had plans for her inclusion. Outside that Corrin was considered because...well Fates is a mess honestly, and Lucina as after all the arguments about Chrom being a bland character incapable of being different it's pretty ironic Lucina was welcomed whilst being even more similar to Marth than we assumed Chrom would be to either Marth or Ike.

:ultjoker: - Honestly just personal preference. Persona still feels like a weird choice to me; Joker's not really on Cloud's level that I can see him as a video gaming icon, and Dragon Quest which I'm also not very familiar with is at least the 25th biggest selling video game series on the planet. Banjo's a far less successful series but he has had fans deseperate for his inclusion since Smash 64 at least. Doesn't help that Joker was talked about endlessly for seven months pretty much and I just have fatigue from a character I didn't even purchase. Aside from Joker; Plant is fun and kinda humourous but doesn't really cut it as an important character IMO...

...if we're not counting DLC though, it's :ultrichter: easily. Only character I never even heard of before and thus the easiest to forget exists.

UserKev

Smash Champion
:jigglypuff64: - If I had to choose, It'd be Jigglypuff. The other 11 are too extremely un-removable, Jigglypuff being already extremely lucky to be apart of the original 12.

:drmario: - I'm also not found of Young Link but Dr. Mario feels really pointless aside from personal nostalgia. I would have rather Daisy, at least she's entirely her own character.

:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard: - The idea of a Pokémon Trainer using Pokémon to duke it out with regular Smash characters is a terrible gimmick and goes against Smash logic.

:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: - Completely downgrades and overshadow Bowser Jr. who could be a fantastic addition on his own, WITH his own alts.

:ultchrom: - A serious example of a lucky character. I really turn my head to how Chrom got in. Its so favoritism and like a evil grand lady stuffing cookies down my throat. Lyn should have got in over him.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
:jigglypuff64: - The obvious pick since she ended up as a Kirby clone because they look similar, and the other characters in Smash 64 are each too iconic to be removed

:ganondorfmelee: - Poor guy didn't deserve to be a Falcon clone and in this timeline it's unfortunate that he's always going to be stuck with Falcon-esque moves. I would've added him in Brawl and gave him a unique moveset that's more faithful to the character and the Zelda series

:lucario: - As someone who did not play Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Lucario only felt (and kinda was) like a replacement for Mewtwo and nothing else

:4corrin:/:4corrinf: - Even though I'm really not fond of Lucina for being the 3rd Marth, this person was literally only added to promote the newest Fire Emblem game (Same goes for Roy in Melee)

:ultdarksamus: - Even though I'm really not fond of Chrom for being the 4th Marth, as someone who played Metroid Prime 2 and 3 it sucks to see that Dark Samus ended up being a carbon copy of Samus, when they had the potential for a more unique moveset

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
64: Jigglypuff
Melee: Roy
Brawl: Toon Link
3DS/Wii U: Lucina
Ultimate: Richter

KIRBY MAIN

Smash Cadet
SSB: :jigglypuff64: If I had my choice I wouldn’t take ANYONE out of the original but Jiggly to me seems the least important of the roster.

SSBM: :pichumelee:/:drmario: Pichu because I feel they could’ve used a more interesting and unique Pokémon addition like Mewtoo and I simply found him to be the most boring clone, Dr. Mario because Paper Mario is better.

SSBB: :lucario: Why? Why do they choose this guy? Why did they skip both the 2nd and 3rd generations of Pokemon (the two best besides the 1st in my opinion) to bring in this sorry excuse of a Mewtoo Clone? Even for a Mewtoo clone, this was a mediocre choice (Alakazam, Kadabra would’ve been much better).

SSB4: :4robinm::4robinf: I hate it when they bring in characters just to help sell their games, also I just hate this character.

SSBU: :ultinkling: Screw this character. So many more characters more worthy of inclusion than these paint-sprayin poopheads. When I look at some of the spirits in this game and remember that this character took priority over some of those characters, I just hate this character even more.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I swear the people who say Roy (Chrom, too, by extension) is just "another Marth" have never actually played either character. If you play Roy the same way you would play Marth, you're gonna get bodied hard.

Anyway...
:falcon64:, :drmario:, :zerosuitsamus:, :4miisword:, :ultdaisy:

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
SSB64: :ness64: BC I didn't even know how to unlock him or who he was or even that he was in the game (Jiggs was relivent at the time all naysayers :p )

SSMB::drmario: He would still be in the game but as a costume for mario tho

SSBB:toonlink: Should of just brought back Young Link really I mean Toon Link only had one real game to this day with an HD remake

SSB4 :4charizard: like why ? you cut :squirtle: & :ivysaur: so just cut Zard & give us a new pokemon instead could of had :4greninja: & someone else

SSBU So far minus the unreveild last 2 DLC character :ultincineroar: I wanted an ACTUAL Pokemon we fans like & love not the current pokemon game freak is pushing in marketing if they wanted a NEW pokemon we could of got Rowlet or an evolution, an alola form or a Ultra beast or mimiku or a past favorite or alola pokemon trainer with :ultincineroar: Brione & rowlet like :ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf: has :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur: & :ultcharizard:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
64: :jigglypuff64:. I'd rather replace Jigs with a much newer pokemon. Besides, we already have enough gen 1 pokemon.
Melee: :ganondorfmelee:. Re-add him in Brawl with a much more unique moveset that's fair to the Zelda series and not just Falcondorf.
Brawl: :pit:. Kid Icarus was barely relevant in 2008, would rather have him in Smash 4.
Smash 4: :4corrinf::4corrin:. Adding characters just to sell games even though there was little demand was one of the worst decisions they have made IMO.
Ultimate: :ultchrom:. I didn't want Chrom. I didn't want another Marth-based fighter. I would have rather had a more unique FE fighter or someone from a different series entirely.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
:ultfalcon: - His games are bad games that I rarely hear of ever. Also, his move set was completely made up.
:ultpichu: - I want to get some of the Generation I fluff out of the roster, and this fighter is a clone of Pikachu.
:ultpokemontrainer: - I want to get some of the Generation I fluff out of the roster, and this dude is a three in one deal.
:ultlucina: - I never liked having more than one character from the same FE game, and she's a clone of Marth.
:ultchrom: - I never liked having more than one character from the same FE game, and he's a clone of Roy.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
:jigglypuff64: Just the least interesting

:sheikmelee: I feel she held Zelda back

:lucario: Lame chaging standard special

:4greninja: Lame chaging standard special. also a starter Pokémon which is borning

:ultincineroar: Starter Pokémon which is borning

No clones as that's easy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:jigglypuff64: - isnt that important nor memorable to the pokemon franchise

:pichumelee: - same as jiggs

:rob: - i honestly would say Lucas ( and thats only because of indifference and not because i hate him ) but the reason i chose Rob is because hes so annoying to fight against. Other than that i think as a character hes a welcomed addition to the roster

:4corrin::4corrinf: - Corrin and fates.

:ultchrom: - a fourth Marth from an irrelevant game, seriously?

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
64- :mario64:

Melee- :marthmelee:

Brawl- :dedede:

Smash 4- :4cloud:

Ultimate- :ultkrool:

why? Because I'm evil and should never be in charge of the direction of Smash.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
64-:jigglypuff64: I think that it's pretty self-explanatory: Puff is the least iconic of the Original 12, so it makes sense that we cut her off. Runner ups: none.
Melee-:ganondorfmelee: I'd rather have Ganondorf in Brawl with original moves than having him in Melee with his garbage moves taken from Falcon. Runner ups: :roymelee::drmario:
Brawl-:rob: it was quite the challenge to pick one character from Brawl, since it, in my opinion, has introduced the best newcomers in the series. But I don't really like R.O.B so it got the axe. Runner ups: :zerosuitsamus:
Smash 4-:4robinm: hear me out before commenting. Awakening, of course, deserved a character, but Robin has to be the least important of the main trio. On top of that, they added Lucina (a harmless clone) AND Corrin (by far the coolest Fire Emblem character in Smash), so another FE character really wasn't that important. Runner ups: :4cloud::rosalina::4palutena:
Ultimate: :ultdarksamus: I'm not against Dark Samus herself (itself?) but I don't like her as a clone. She's in a similar situation as Ganondorf. Runner ups: :ultrichter::ultken:

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
64 - :jigglypuff64: Low hanging fruit I know, but really there's no real reason to include Jigglypuff. People always say it was because of the anime but I feel like Pikachu probably had that covered already.

Melee - :pichumelee: Pretty much the same reasoning as above. Pichu added nothing at all. I also considered Dr. Mario, Roy and Sheik here but really couldn't go past such irrelevance.

Brawl - :snake: Doesn't fit in at all. It's not as stark now with the game flooded by so many third parties that don't fit in, but back then it was a bizarre choice that always looked and felt completely out of place to me. Also considered Lucario here.

Smash 4 - :4cloud: This was a baffling inclusion given his status as a Sony mascot and the relationship between Nintendo and Square over the last few decades. Also considered Wii Fit Trainer, Lucina, Bayonetta, Greninja.

Ultimate - This was a pretty sorry batch of newcomers but :ultjoker: is by far the weirdest inclusion so far. See the Snake and Cloud entries above. Also considered Daisy, Ken, Richter, Incineroar, Dark Samus, Chrom.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
I think including the clones defeats the purpose of this but whatever.

64: :jigglypuff64: Pokemon already had a rep(not saying it did not deserve 2), but jigglypuff has always been slow and uninteresting. It isn't used much outside of smash or at least wasn't for a while after 64 era of the anime.

Melee: This one is tougher as it added many iconic characters, but I suppose it has to be :icsmelee:. I like the idea of going for a retro rep, but they only had one not very successful game, :gawmelee: represents that era fine and is more iconic to gaming as a whole.

Brawl: :wolf: Eh, if we were getting another semiclone I wish it wasn't from starfox as we already had one of those since falco was decloned in brawl

Smash 4::4corrin: Simply here as promotion and we should have gotten something more interesting from FE involving the weapon triangle or magic or something

Ultimate::ultjoker: Not a bad character, but there weren't many to choose from. DQ is a much more iconic and has much more history to create the modern RPG we know today. Thought about plant, but I like the idea of joke characters. Fun reaction and can sometimes be fun to play.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
64: :ultsamus: - An extremely outdated moveset that has never amounted to much of anything.

Melee :ultmarth: - I like Lucina better, and she fits in better with Chrom and Robin

Brawl: :ultrob: - I feel like Duck Hunt represents the NES better as a Retro rep, and if it weren't for Smash, no one would remember him. Not even his appearance in Mario Kart DS did that.

Wii U/3DS: :ultdarkpit: - Do I have to explain it?

Ultimate: :ultrichter: - Another Dark Pit situation. While a lot of the Belmonts moveset comes from Richter, I feel like the similarities are enough to cut one of them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sorry, can’t load the icons for some reason, and I have no clue how to clear cache on an iPhone.

64: Yoshi
I never really cared for Yoshi back then. I didn’t use him, none of the people I knew used him. So he seemed like a wasted slot. Luigi was great having him alongside Mario. But I never really felt that Yoshi having his own series being a thing. He was still a Mario character to me. Unlike DK who’s redesign went hand in hand with the rebranding of his own franchise, instead of being Mario’s former antagonist. Yoshi could have been put on hold for Melee easily.

Melee: Dr.Mario
He was another form of Mario, when we could have had.. Wario? Over time this 2nd Mario clone would have been decloned like Luigi, and possibly developed a moveset based on Warioland series. This is hypothetical of course.

Brawl: Toon Link
Here’s when I stopped caring for multiple characters based on the same character. But most of all... I really really really didn’t like Toon Link. FF today, I don’t hate him. But then again, we have 3 Links, so If I had to let one go, Tink would be it.

4: Corrin
Speculation running wild. Expectations through the ceiling. This was the time when the Ballot was official worldwide, not just Japan. So all eyes were set on the final presentation.
But then came Corrin. The 6th Fire Emblem character in the game , and the 2nd DLC spot to be taken by a Fire Emblem character. I was so let down by this announcement that I honestly preferred them having not revealed anything.
Bayonetta came shortly after, and although she did amuse me, I was still salty about the blatant promotional pick that came before. I knew Sakurai was a Fire Emblem fan, and it was never more apparent than in Smash 4.

Ultimate: Chrom
I mean Jesus just STOP.
I feel this happened to pander to the crowd complaining that Robin got in over Chrom last time. Like having a perfectly original Fire Emblem character was such a bad thing? (Yeah, he only time I wanted a FE character, it was Robin or a Tactician). Even Viridi poked fun at how unoriginal Chrom would be.
And ok, he might not be as unoriginal, but he’s still another derivative of Marth.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Note: this is just my opinion, so feel free to disagree as long as you keep things civil.

64: :jigglypuff64:
Dumb choice for a playable Pokémon (at the time). Now I'm fine with her in the game as a funny joke pick, but she or :pichumelee: would be my Pokémon of choice to cut if I was forced to remove one.

Melee: :ganondorfmelee:
Yep. I just said Ganondorf. Not because I hate him, or he's a bad character, but the fact that he was rushed last minute during development. Because he was added in so late, Sakurai had no time to give him a unique moveset, and he was stuck as a Captain Falcon clone. The only changes he received in future games were mild changes to his moves to differentiate him slightly from Captain Falcon. (He's a lot better in Ultimate) I bet if he was saved for Brawl, Sakurai would've put a lot more thought into making an original moveset for him.

:pichumelee:, :younglinkmelee:, and :drmario: dodged a huge bullet here. These three would've easily been my choices due to how pointless they really were, but Ganondorf's state was what made me choose him.

Brawl: :toonlink:
Pointless addition in my opinion. I don't have much else to say about him.

:pt: was a close second due to how horribly his special mechanic was implemented.

Smash 4: :4bayonetta:
Y'all are gonna hate me for this one. She was an extremely cancerous addition in my opinion, back in Smash 4. Not only was I not very excited about her inclusion, but when she arrived, she completely broke the game and made online less fun. Even after she got nerfed, she was still completely busted, and most encounters with her ended up with a 2 stock sweep, and my character getting sent flying at the screen. Thankfully, she is now in a more balanced state, and I don't really hate her anymore.
(I was extremely casual back in Brawl, so :metaknight: didn't bother me much. I also didn't play any online.)

:4darkpit: came very close due to being a very pointless addition.:4lucina:'s addition didn't bother me much for whatever reason.

Ultimate: :ultdaisy:
Do I really need to explain? It's ****ing Daisy. She's annoying and a waste of development time. Even as an echo fighter, the only difference she has from :ultpeach: is her hitbox being slightly different. Now that screams lazy. Thankfully, the rest of Ultimate's cast was really good.

:ultdarksamus: could've been a semiclone TBH, but I didn't mind its inclusion.
(It was also a lazily made echo with only one change, but at least it makes it slightly better than :ultsamus: competitively.)

I guess :ultrichter: also applies in the laziness department, but at least his one and only difference affects one of his moves...

That's all I got for now.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
64::jigglypuffmelee:

The only reason she's still around is because she's one of the original 12, hell Sakurai himself more or less admited that she's a waste of a character slot considering she was almost cut from the series entirely during Brawl.

Melee: :younglinkmelee:

I never really enjoyed playing as Young Link nor did I actually miss him in the games where he was gone, toon link basically replaced him in my eyes.

Brawl: :olimar:

As much as I love the Pikmin series I could never get a handle on how to actually play as Olimar, so i wouldn't miss him if he were gone.

4: :rosalina::4bowserjr:

I could go either way with these 2, I'm personally not that fond of either of them

Ultimate: :ultridley:

Honestly i always felt like Shrinking Ridley down just kind of removed his threatening image, I feel like in Ultimate he just looks goofy.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
:ultjigglypuff:-This pink turd who's time has come and hasn't been cut from the roster yet.
:ultmarth:-The one who's roster has swords every fricking time. (Also started the whole "anime swordsmen thing.")
:ultwario:-No Wario Land representation, and stupid fart stuff. i think Sakurai doesn't care about Wario Land being dead.
:ultcorrin:-We didn't need another one after Lucina and Robin.
:ultincineroar:-Why is that every Poke'mon newcomer has to be a final evo starter all the time!? Would've preferred Lycanroc or Kommo-o over Tony the tiger. (Lucario and Mewtwo don't count.)

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
There are a lot of spicy takes in this thread and not a lot of conversation happening in regards to those takes.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
There are a lot of spicy takes in this thread and not a lot of conversation happening in regards to those takes.
Pretty sure this thread is just for saying who you'd remove and not for actually discussing those picks. Most people offer explanations as to why anyway so there's not much to say.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:ness64: - At least people knew who Jigglypuff was. Ness? Not so much. Nothing of value would be lost if Ness were cut.

:pichumelee: - I cannot think of a single reason to keep Pichu. We have Pikachu already, so what’s the point?

:olimar: - I actually like all of Brawl’s newcomers except for this one, not just because I have no interest in Pikmin, but also because I find him extremely aggravating to fight in all three of the Smash games he’s been in.

:4bayonetta: - Didn’t need to be in the game and her existence pretty much killed it competitively.

:ulthero: - I might be okay with Hero’s inclusion if it weren’t for the terrible way he was implemented.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Pretty sure this thread is just for saying who you'd remove and not for actually discussing those picks. Most people offer explanations as to why anyway so there's not much to say.
A thread without discussion potential is a pointless thread.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
A thread without discussion potential is a pointless thread.
Ouch. All jokes aside though, I’m not really sure what discussion could be had. Just made this thread cause I was interested in others answers.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I swear the people who say Roy (Chrom, too, by extension) is just "another Marth" have never actually played either character. If you play Roy the same way you would play Marth, you're gonna get bodied hard.
This. Absolutely this.

I swear to god, if I see ONE more post about Lucario being a clone of Mewtwo, someone is gonna get bodied hard. They have completely different movesets

Now let's get back to the discussion on hand...

:jigglypuff64: - easily. She felt like the most undeserving at the time and wasn't really as popular
:drmario: - I personally hate the idea of having clones of the same characters (Link/Young Link is different)
:rob: - I'm going to get hate here, but I really didn't see anything in him at the time. He was the biggest WTF to date
:4bayonetta: - ballot felt rigged to me. Felt she was already planned before the ballot hit
:ulthero: - I feel he's the most broken character the game had in awhile

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
64: :ultjigglypuff: (runner up - none)
Melee: :ultpichu: (runner up - :ultdoc:/:ultsheik:/:ultyounglink:)
Brawl: :ultpokemontrainer: (runner up - :ulttoonlink:)
Smash 4: :ultlucina: (runner up - none)
Ultimate: :ultchrom:(runner up - :ultrichter:/:ultpiranha:)

Top Bottom