• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choose 3 Newcomers! 1 Obscure, 1 Japanese, 1 Dead

LokiTheFlameshied

Smash Rookie
Obscure: Marina Lightyears (Mischief Maker) Imagine a throw based character, who could KO at low levels with throws, but has trash smash attacks.

Japanese: Demille (Tomato Adventure) It's a crime just how unknown this character. The reason for the Mario and Luigi series existing should be more popular than he is.

Dead: Izuna (Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja) Title says it all, really.

Last edited:

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Obscure: Goemon. He may be a Konami character, but his bizarre and whimsical style is a perfect fit for Smash. My most wanted but least likely newcomer.

Japanese: Takamaru I guess. I don't know of too many.

Dead: Geno. SMRPG has spiritual successors, but never a direct sequel. With Cloud in the game already and Geno being a costume for Mii Fighters in Smash4, most of Geno's hurdles seem to be behind him.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
1. Erdrick (Dragon Quest III)
2. Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Geneaology of the Holy War)
3. Ray 01 (Custom Robo)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My Japanese choice is Sukapon. I've supported the character since Brawl and it's nice to see him as an AT.
He's also obscure and from a dead series too. So it could work for all 3

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Most of the time people want to see popular characters from popular series get in as a fighter in Smash. But Smash is not always about delivering what is expected or popular. So if you had to choose characters that weren't popular or well known, what would they be? In this thread you are tasked to pick three characters based on the following criteria:

1: A character from an obscure game or series that got a worldwide release. This is a character that was never really well known despite being sold everywhere.

2: A character that only appeared in Japanese games. This can be a popular character in Japan or an obscure one too.

3. A character from a "dead" series. This is a series that no longer active. Has to be a series that hasn't had a new game in years.

You are allowed to use third parties but I'd find it more interesting if you choose from Nintendo series.
Alright, let's see.

1. Obscure Character: F-Type (Stunt Race FX)

One of my favorite childhood games, although not quite as popular as its Super FX Chip counterpart Star Fox. Was a fun little fully 3D racing game with charming characters and music. It would warm my inner child's heart to see F-Type come back.

2. Japan-only Character: Lip (Panel de Pon)

Kind of a no-brainer for me. Lip's been on my top 5 since Brawl. Although I never was able to enjoy the actual game with her in it until I was an adult, Tetris Attack on SNES was also another childhood favorite of mine, and I'd be more than happy to have the true face of the Panel de Pon series in there Smashing it up with her friendly adversaries Yoshi and Pikachu who took over her games in the west.

3. Dead Series Character: Earthworm Jim

The last of my childhood favorites, Jim is by no means an obscure character, as he was quite a big star in the mid-90's and one of North America's premiere console gaming mascots. A once superstar game character that fell from grace - his series saw numerous ports, numerous sequels, action figures, comic books, and even an absolutely fantastic animated series that's still funny and well-written to this day, which is at the forefront of my main experience with him (I had previously enjoyed his games but only really got into the series once I saw the cartoon). But towards the end of the series' life, Jim began to appear in rather average to mediocre games, and has since been trapped in a sort of legal limbo where no new games have been able to come out. Interplay is now in the process of selling all its IP as one single unit, which makes it seem hopeless that he'll ever see the light of day again, as so far it seems that no buyers have thus far made an offer. An EWJ4 was "announced" several years ago, and many members of the original team are interested in coming back and doing a new one, but because they're all busy with their own careers and have apparently moved on, the future seems bleak for the worm hero.

I've actually created a support thread for Jim, and I really would like more people to read my moveset ideas and other fun stuff that I've written for it. I've tried my best to encapsulate the series' bizarre humor into the things I've written.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Obscure: Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)/ If that doesn't count Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)

Japanese: Lip (Panel de Pon)

Dead: Andy (Advance Wars)

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Obscure: Rhythm/Tap Trial Girl - My number one pick for a Rhythm Heaven character, a fighter based around dance moves would be unique and something Sakurai would be interested in I feel.

Japanese: Lip - She seems interesting and popular so sure, I think she has great moveset potential.

Dead: No clue, just gonna say Ninten as a Ness echo so we have all 3 Mother protagonists.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Obscure: Mike, the mascot for the Super Scope. He sports a pretty bulky structure, so perhaps he could be a heavyweight with some Super Scope-esque projectiles.

Japanese: Gryll, the antagonist of Kirby's Super Star Stacker. She could be a lightweight with a good aerial game, considering all the artwork of her shows her riding a broom.

Dead: Forget Rhythm Heaven! ELITE BEAT AGENT BABY! Rhythm-based attacks could be his bread and butter and don't forget a Final Smash that recreates the game itself!

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Obscure: Chorus Kids. Rhythm heaven might be obscure, but it deserves a rep

Japanese: Lip as she would be a puzzle game rep and has had many games despite them being changed over here.

Dead: Isaac. He is probably the most popular dead character and I feel his fans deserve it.

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
Obscure:
Jack Frost, although that's somewhat cheating. Megami Tensei is a fairly popular series in Japan, albeit not to the extent of RPG series like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Either way, he's still obscure enough in my books.

Japanese:
Lip, no question. She's an cool character from an otherwise unrepresented series and genre. I'm imagining a character based around Damage over Time, which could be different enough from Olimar's DoT effect.

Dead:
Paper Mario.

I kid, I kid. Although the argument could be made. Isaac makes the most sense for sheer amount of fan request.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Obscure
Ray MK III
Ray_Mk_III_Sticker.png
Not really obscure among Smash Fans but to the general public I know very few people who know them outside Smash trophies. I can see him have a unique play style as a small aerial glass cannon. His specials would be set to the robo-parts and in his custom moves would work the same way. So basically it would work like this.

B = Gun
FB = Bombs
DB = Pods
UB = Boots

Now which weapons his default equipment would be I can't decided. Of course he would used different weapons in his standard moves like like stabbing with the sword gun or punching with the knuckle gun (think how Inkling use all weapons from Splatoon).

Japanese
Captain Rainbow
Captain_Rainbow_Artwork.png
Hands down my most want pick of this area. I'm surprise he has more support here than his own thread. Since he's from a Nintendo crossover game based around obscure or forgotten Nintendo characters I feel he would be very fitting in Smash Bros. He already has relations with many characters featured in Smash like Little Mac, Takamaru, The Devil, etc. Of course I've never played the game so I can't do and accurate moveset. But there is a lot of potential he could do with a yo-yo. Minmin Island would be an excellent stage with unique art style and many interesting spots to fight on.

Dead
Mike Jones
MikeJones.jpg
I really like this character and really want to see him brought back into the limelight. He has a wide range of weapons from his classic yo-yo, flails, throwing items, bats, spiked boots, etc. I would make him a unique character as he specializes at throwing items. He does more damage when he throw items at people due to his baseball skill and that he throws everything in Star Tropics 2.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Obscure:
Chorus Kids

To those in speculative communities, they may not seem that obscure given the Gematsu leak, but to the general public and the wider Nintendo community they qualify. Anyway, Rhythm Heaven is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises that hasn't been represented with a playable character as of yet.
Although, I'd be down for anyone from the series to represent it, such as Tibby or the Tap Trial/ Rhythm Girl, I enjoy the possible concepts that come with their inclusion. After all they are trio working together at once. (All together now!) With that alone, it could play into their moveset with rhythm based attacks by having to follow each of the Kids' actions like clockwork and time it right, which could reward players for their timing or even create different outcomes for each input allowing for different mixups or combos.
Also look at these little guys, they're just trying their best.

Japanese:
Ayumi Tachibana

Smash has characters that usually represent different corners of games and their history, and one that we're notably missing is the horror and mystery genre. (I'm not counting Metroid as it utilizes horror elements, and exploration and action are it's main focus.) Ayumi best represents this as her games are considered classics for the Famicom system, and could use an unconventional moveset similarly to Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 and could have a play style that represents the aspects of her home series. Also Sakurai did want her back in Melee, but didn't want to introduce a Japanese exclusive character at the time. Given the prevalence and love for retro characters, she'd fit perfectly in the roster as one.

Dead:
(Does Morrigan Aensland count?)
Sami
Advance Wars is a dead franchise, and putting her or Andy into Smash would hopefully lead to a revival for one of Intelligent Systems beloved series on the Switch. Also, it'd be interesting to see a character that could have stage control by using a tower defense based moveset and summoning and ordering units to swarm or provide defense for her against enemy attacks.
Also it'd be nice to see FE and AW clash/crossover for the first time.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Obscure character you say? How about Stanley Jones from ObsCure? LOL As for Japanese, I was gonna say Sukapon but he's deconfirmed as an Assist Trophy. So, I pick Lip from Panel de Pon. Lastly, a dead character. Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden. That counts as a dead game, right? We haven't heard anything from it since 2014. So, it's been a while.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Obscure: Star Man from Pro Wrestling. A Winner is you, and all that.

Japanese: Prince of Sablé. Changing between frog, snake and human forms could be neat, I think, if done right.

Dead: Bonk. Oh, poor Bonk. He used to be big when Hudson Soft was alive, standing along the sides of Master Higgins and Bomberman. Now forgotten about to the point that even Princess Tomato got more acknowledgement than him by Konami. It doesn't help that his latest game, Brink of Extinction, got unceremoniously cancelled. Plus there needs to be a caveman in Smash.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
Obscure
Pin*Bot, the pinball machine from the 1990 Rare/Nintendo game of the same name. I think it's high time we get Pinball representation in Smash, and though i would have gone with the unnamed protagonist of Pinball Quest (who may be a Pinball Wizard?), Pin*Bot is closer to a Nintendo property. Plus it's got airplanes and snakes!
Or, if we want a third party...
You, the main character of the Colossal Cave Adventure. Colossal Cave Adventure is among the first games ever made in 1976 and is a text-based adventure game. Just like Pinball games, why not got full retro and have a text-based fighter? I imagine they'd be a blinking cursor that would write out their moves like "go south", "use sword", "Xyzzy", and "Plugh". The only problem? I'm not sure if this was ever on a Nintendo system. Zork was. But Zork is owned by Activision.

Japanese
I'd like to see Lip finally make her appearance after having her stick as a mainstay item all these years. I also really want a puzzle fighter, preferably one who isn't an Alternate Universe Mario who completed med school and never had to drop out and join the family plumbing business (Once Bowser became King of Koopas money became tight for the Mario family).
Or, again a third party...
Sakura Shinguji, from the Sakura Taisen series of combat/dating sim games. She's in the Imperial Floral Assault Division, a military group dedicated to protecting the Imperial Capital from demons! Also, Sakura Taisen is among the highest selling game series in Japan, and why not include a character from a dating sim? (Note: I would absolutely love a rep from Hatoful Boyfriend, but sadly Playstation was the only console to get it. I guess we'll just have to wait for Playstation AllStars Battle Royale II).

Dead
I would say Porky, from the Mother series, but I refuse to say that the Mother series is Dead.
Instead, I say Lode Runner. Except that there was a Lode Runner on the Switch in 2017? Okay, fine, not Dead but still a great pick.
So... how about... Cubivore? DeBlob? No. No, wait... Doshin the Giant. My Nintendo Dead franchise character is Doshin the Giant. Okay. I feel good about this. ...or maybe Chibi-Robo.
Or, my Third Party pick...
Ecco the Dolphin. This time-travelling, alien fighting dolphin would be FANTASTIC in Smash. Having a down special where Ecco can travel back in time? Great! Having another special, maybe a final smash, where Ecco sings a song and summons a whale? GREAT! Being able to see Mario punch a dolphin? AMAZING. Ecco the Dolphin is probably dead (sadly), and he'll never make it into Smash, but he really needs to be in Smash. Make it happen, Fighter Ballot.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
1: My pick for obscure would be Muddy Mole from Mole Mania. Love his game, love his art style, love his creative moveset potential full of digging and burying opponents. It's a first party Nintendo game, and those usually get priority, so I think he'd be a great obscure pick.
mole-mania.png

2: I'm gonna go for the obscure! Sutte Hakkun!! His gameplay would be ridiculous, not even sure how they'd do it, but injecting color into bricks and objects to make them move for attacks could be... interesting. I mostly just love how cute the main character is! And it's another first party Nintendo game! How about that!
Hakkun.png

3. King K. Rool... oh you said series, not character... heh. How about, hmm, what constitutes a series? At least two games? I'll give this one to Mike Jones then! It's only fair to have a western exclusive first party character included in a series that also includes Japan exclusive first party characters. I'd hope Sakurai would update his character design and attacks, well, modernize them just as he did for Pit, otherwise he'd have very similar moves to Ness. But I feel they could draw even more from the Startropics series with aliens and islands and (well, I still need to play more of the games, but I'd imagine there's plenty more to draw from other than yo-yo's and baseball bats!). He's the type of character like Pit that could use a revival.
MikeJones.jpg

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Obscure: Ramdozer (Blast Corps)

Japanese: Ultimate Chimera (Mother 3)

Dead: Conker the Squirrel (Bad Fur Day, Rare was going to do a sequel to this until Microsoft came in and ruined everything.)

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My choices

Muddy Mole for Obscure (Fits for the Retro Rep as well)

Either Masked Man or Kumatora for Japanese Represent (I can already here those memes coming)

Issac for Dead Franchise (mainly to make the fans happy and grateful)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Obscure: Goemon

Mostly Japanese: Goemon

Dead series: Goemon

Goemon pretty much fits in all 3 categories even though he has had 4 games released in the west and is popular in Japan while being niche and almost unknown to most people in the west.

Now you can't tell me this character and his franchise doesn't look cool or interesting because it does:

Seeing Impact as Goemon's Final Smash would be so sick. I can imagine Impact shooting his lazer beam and knocking out the other players on screen with his punches.

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Obscure: Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
Japanese: Captain Rainbow
Dead: Chibi-Robo