• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choking In Tourney

ArmedShadow

Smash Cadet
I got a little problem when i am tourney where i wouldn't even play like i normally would just because of the fact im playing a tourney match it gets me so nervous. my friend who does not get nervous (which i am slighltly better than!) did way better then me and i choked 2 sets in a row. one of the players i lost to i played after tourney was over and i beat him lots.i think thats because i started talking him to a bit then got comfortable who i am versing. got any tips to chill my bones.:awesome:

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
It may take a while to get used to, but think about having fun, laugh, talk, etc. Don't be a hard-ass, haha.

It's a different setting that you're not used to yet. The more you play in it, the more you'll get used to it. Some psychology that might be happening I'd occasion setting. You can pull memories faster when you're in a setting where you use those memories often, like knowing what to do while edgeguarding in a friendly, for example. You don't have that as strongly in a tournament set. Also, if you're being watched, you can get worse at doing difficult tasks. But if it's something you're good at, a crowd will help yout play better (social facilitation)

Don't distract yourself by thinking about winning/losing, especially the results of it. Just focus solely on what's going on in the game and what you can do in it. No one's watching you as much as you think they are, nor do they care about it too much

Last edited:

ArmedShadow

Smash Cadet
It's a different setting that you're not used to yet. The more you play in it, the more you'll get used to it. Some psychology that might be happening I'd occasion setting. You can pull memories faster when you're in a setting where you use those memories often, like knowing what to do while edgeguarding in a friendly, for example. You don't have that as strongly in a tournament set. Also, if you're being watched, you can get worse at doing difficult tasks. But if it's something you're good at, a crowd will help yout play better (social facilitation)

Don't distract yourself by thinking about winning/losing, especially the results of it. Just focus solely on what's going on in the game and what you can do in it. No one's watching you as much as you think they are, nor do they care about it too much
Yeah I do that a lot. Thinking about results mid match

Zodiac

Smash Master
I firmly believe the key to not choking is focus, pouring all of your focus into the match, because the only way a person chokes is by psyching themselves out and focusing on the fact they are in tournament or focusing on whats at stake if they win/lose. Redirect your focus to "I'm playing a match" and you will see a big difference in your quality of play, you won't instantly solve your choking problem but it will be a strong start.

Though things to focus on are needed in order to shift from "Oh god its a tournament match" to "focus on the match" , Once you get a grab you focus on their DI, when they roll you focus on which way they have a habit of rolling, focus on what they will do out of shield etc. Their are TONS of things in a melee match to focus on and as times goes on you will find more and more things to distract you from the stakes of a tournament match and it will become just another match to you.

For me what helps greatly is remembering all the combo's I do in practice and then once I see an opportunity to pull it off I say to myself "Ok, just like practice, this, this this and this...ok off stage, go into guard mode." Its a process that doesn't allow for any down time. I.E. I never have the opportunity to go "Oh god I am in a tournament match." Because I am thinking about several other things within the match.

Another way to think about this, if you don't want to go and identify a million things to think about is just to not think about the match as a whole and try to think about smaller bits and parts of the match, thinking "I want to win" won't get you a win but thinking "I need to get a grab/launcher/guard" will get you the win, and as I have said it will most likely take your focus off of the negative psych your self out thoughts.

TL;DR - Focusing on the end goal will not get you there, focusing on traversing the path to the end goal will.

ArmedShadow

Smash Cadet
I firmly believe the key to not choking is focus, pouring all of your focus into the match, because the only way a person chokes is by psyching themselves out and focusing on the fact they are in tournament or focusing on whats at stake if they win/lose. Redirect your focus to "I'm playing a match" and you will see a big difference in your quality of play, you won't instantly solve your choking problem but it will be a strong start.

Though things to focus on are needed in order to shift from "Oh god its a tournament match" to "focus on the match" , Once you get a grab you focus on their DI, when they roll you focus on which way they have a habit of rolling, focus on what they will do out of shield etc. Their are TONS of things in a melee match to focus on and as times goes on you will find more and more things to distract you from the stakes of a tournament match and it will become just another match to you.

For me what helps greatly is remembering all the combo's I do in practice and then once I see an opportunity to pull it off I say to myself "Ok, just like practice, this, this this and this...ok off stage, go into guard mode." Its a process that doesn't allow for any down time. I.E. I never have the opportunity to go "Oh god I am in a tournament match." Because I am thinking about several other things within the match.

Another way to think about this, if you don't want to go and identify a million things to think about is just to not think about the match as a whole and try to think about smaller bits and parts of the match, thinking "I want to win" won't get you a win but thinking "I need to get a grab/launcher/guard" will get you the win, and as I have said it will most likely take your focus off of the negative psych your self out thoughts.

TL;DR - Focusing on the end goal will not get you there, focusing on traversing the path to the end goal will.
thanks for the help i really think the main problem here is thinking of the outcome of the match. once i get this out of the way this might just open higher placings. thanks again people.

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
I've had the same problem where I seem to choke in tourney. One way I've learned to cope with this is by applying that pressure in training situations. I believe OMNY might have a video on tournament nerves and the advice on there really helped me. Ill link the video if I do find it.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I think the physiological aspect is important and often overlooked.

When you play a tense match you breath tends to become more shallow and your heart rate goes up. This can cause shakes amongst other things.

Force yourself to take deeper breathes and you'll find that it helps alleviate the stress. It's a small thing but it is affective.

Ministry

Smash Ace
all i read in the title was "cloaking in tourney"

that would be a fun tourney with cloaking device turned on.

Top Bottom