• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

China Censorship Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Is it just me or does anyone think that China is trying to take over the world of pop culture media, recently they banned ALL games to have a hint of gay subtext and social dilemma, and with the dilemma of profits vs morals does anyone think that this will seep into the greater game industry.

I'll just leave it at that

Now with a more shorter name, like I said with China having BIG stakes in many international companies I worry that their practices will seep in the greater media industry

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I remember just twenty years ago the US scrubbing all gay references from my foreign cartoons. This made it a little awkward even for a young child to see two girls in Sailor Moon presented as "cousins" be very...intimate with each other. Even entire characters had been rewritten for the English dub to avoid any references to religion or anything that would fall out of traditional views of sexuality and gender. This was true for all media, foreign and domestic.

So far that hasn't done anything to change the media landscape as a whole. All countries censor and ban anything they find objectionable. China may be a large market, but the US has been considered the "consumer capital" for a long time and with good reason. So far they haven't been able to influence the entire world, so I don't see why that would change with China. They might be able to influence mainstream works somewhat, but no one has ever had total control of even mainstream media, let alone independent and more niche media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom