• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data "Chimera Laboratory" - Lucas moveset discussion

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Lucas Moveset Discussion:
Talk about Lucas' PSI and attacks.
From the trailer, we can see a lot of Lucas' moveset. I'm going to try to do a detailed analysis with what we know.
Frame data is from counting the frames in the video and multiplying by 2. I have allowed a 1 frame leeway because of the movie's 29fps. Please do not take this frame data as exact, there might be hidden IASA frames at any point in the move.
- Jab
Good ol' jab. The frame increase from Brawl to 4 can't be relied upon for comparison (input variation), aside from the startup time, which appears to have advanced one frame.

In Brawl - Hits on - 2, 10, 23
Duration - 49​
Smash 4 - Hits on - 3/4, 15/16, 29/30
Duration - 53+​
- Ftilt
Still a fast, solid, disjointed move. Not much has changed.

In Brawl - Hits on - 7
Duration - 40​
Smash 4 - Hits on - 7/8
Duration - 39+​
- Utilt
Possibly a little bit slower in startup, but we haven't seen the hitboxes on his hands. Still similar to Brawl's. The actual duration in the video is 48 because of hitlag.

WITHOUT HITLAG
In Brawl - Hits on - 4-7
IASA - 40​
Smash 4 - Hits on - 7/8
IASA - 38​
- Dtilt
Hasn't changed much from Brawl, except for a likely three/four frame advance in IASA. Hopefully its disjointed hitbox wasn't shrunk. Can probably trip.

In Brawl - Hits on - 3
IASA - 14​
Smash 4 - Hits on - 3
IASA - 17/18 (it may actually be earlier than this but it's safe to assume the input was buffered)​
- Usmash
This move hasn't changed much from Brawl. Invincibility, startup and endlag are all the same. Vertical range might have been decreased slightly.

In Brawl - Hits on - 28, 36 ......
Invincibility - 1-5
IASA: 100​
Smash 4 - Hits on - 28, 30 .......
Invincibility - 1-5/6
Duration: about 103/104
All PSI sparks disappear on 68 (doesn't necessarily mean the hitbox is gone)​
- Fsmash
Although the duration is 14 frames shorter, both iterations' Fsmash now has 48 IASA (may actually be earlier for Smash 4). Smaller range.

In Brawl - Hits on - 14
IASA - 48
Duration - 62​
Smash 4 - Hits on - 15/16
Duration - 48​
- Nair
HUGE hitlag. A little slower in startup and endlag. Maybe a little more knockback, but this cannot be proved. Less hits. Overall, probably a nerf.

WITH HITLAG
In Brawl - Hits on - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40
Duration - 55
Ending Lag - 15​
Smash 4 - Hits on - 7/8, 19/20, 31/32, 43/44, 55/56
Duration - about 90
Ending Lag - about 20 (I can't be sure, there might be hidden IASA frames)​
- Fair
Its disjointed hitbox is about the same as Brawl's, visually, about his head in size. In Brawl, however, it had a huge hitbox that was taller than his whole body. Let's hope it's the same here. The picture is actually a badly spaced Fair. With proper execution, the hexagon does not touch his foot.

In Brawl - Hits on - 9
Smash 4 - Hits on - 11/12
It visually appears similar, however there is a slight change in startup time.
- Bair
It's kept its spike. It might have been given IASA, although unlikely. Might have slightly less range.

In Brawl - Hits on - 15
IASA: 40​
Smash 4 - Hits on - 15/16
Duration: 42​
- Grab
Although the snake does indeed appear to hit first on 13, it took 20 frames to capture Mega Man from that distance. In Brawl, the Rope Snake grabbed at its entire range on the same frame - 13. Possibly more range. Overall, a nerf, unless they decrease endlag.

In Brawl - Hits on - 13
Smash 4 - Hits on - appears to be 13/14, hits in video on 20
- Dthrow
It "buries" the opponent, but it's almost certainly an aesthetic effect. It may have lost kill power from Brawl. In Brawl, Dthrow -> Utilt was guaranteed at low % (0-20), unless certain characters DI'd correctly to avoid it.

In Brawl - Throws on - 41
Duration - 50​
Smash 4 - Throws on - 41/42
Duration - 47/48 (In the video, Lucas moves on 53/54 but he appears to be in the standing animation prior to jumping, so I'm counting when he first visually reverts to it)​
- PKF
The animation of PKF is significantly shorter but whether the IASA is different remains a mystery. PK Fire (Side-B) works similarly as in Brawl. Lucas gets momentum recoil from it, which could mean a wavebounce and possibly the return of Zap Jump.

After shooting the bolt:
In Brawl - Duration - 60 (IASA: 33)
Smash 4 - Duration - 46 (No idea what the IASA is)

This is a comparison of PKF from Brawl to Smash 4. It's unreliable because we don't actually know the FULL range of Smash 4 PKF, but it's still something to look at.
- PKFr
Mostly the same from Brawl, from what we can see. No frame data can be salvaged here.
- PKT
It appears to have kept most, if not all of its Brawl properties. Bigger bolt.

In Brawl - Hits on - 20
Smash 4 - Hits on - 20

- PKT2
It's really hard to tell but I'm pretty sure PKT2 has the same frame data. Maybe a change in distance.

In Brawl - Hits on - 3, 6, 9 ....... 24, 27, 30
Smash 4 - Hits on - Appears to be the same
- PSIM
Mostly the same from Brawl. A size upgrade. Keeps its zap. Probably able to magnet cancel a la Ness.

In Brawl - Magnets on - 11
Smash 4 - Magnets on - 11/12
- Zair
We don't know much about this. Its hurtbox might have been removed and it may have been given a hitbox. Possible range upgrade.

In Brawl - Shoots on 8
Smash 4 - Shoots on 6

Here are some gifs for the main post.

So now that we have 3/4 of his moveset, we can see that Lucas has stayed the same in many ways. Only a few moves were changed significantly framewise (we don't know knockback values yet at this stage). The animations are aesthetically similar to Brawl's.

The moves NOT shown off - Dsmash, Dair, Dash Attack, Uair and his other throws - could also be the same - or they might be drastically different (I'm looking at Dsmash, Dash Attack and Dair especially when I say this).

* DTHROW DOESN'T BURY ITS ONLY AN AESTHETIC EFFECT

EDIT: Also, Lucas is still being worked on and his moves are subject to change.

Last edited:

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Forgot Neutral B (?)

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Wow, REALLY nice data right here. This should be the main discussion for his moveset IMO.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Just a note, his specials seem almost completely similar to Ness's customs.
  • His down B zaps you, but it's not the semi spike from Brawl which, while useless, was totally awesome.
  • His PK Freeze is undeniably similar to its separate custom.
Therefore, practice with Ness's custom specials, and see if any of them combo or have notable properties that would be useful in Lucas, supposing that his airspeed and jumps are indeed similar to Ness.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Wow, REALLY nice data right here. This should be the main discussion for his moveset IMO.
@ Warchamp7 Warchamp7 Can you sticky this thread? I think this is a good idea.
Also what's with the background of the quotes being black? Not saying is bad, I think it looks rather cool :p

Also I am of full support of making @ PKBeam PKBeam the first Lucas Mod.

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Fixed. Side effect of me making quotes semi transparent to show post backgrounds better :p

Spirst

Sticking this thread to serve as the central discussion for moveset stuff.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
In Brawl, Lucas had to hit with the very tip of his foot to spike the opponent.

If you look at the trailer here though, you'll notice Oli doesn't get hit by the foot at all, but still gets spiked hard by the hexagon.

Feel free to check it. The picture posted in the OP has the exact frame I'm talking about. ^^

Hammabro

Smash Apprentice
It's still his foot. The hitbox animations work the same way as Ness' where it looks like it's an extended hitbox but it's actually a lot closer to the body than the graphic suggests.

Damn yo, amazing stuff!

I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't upload videos in 60fps... afaik Youtube added support for that.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Damn yo, amazing stuff!

I still don't understand why Nintendo doesn't upload videos in 60fps... afaik Youtube added support for that.
They typically do. Smash vids don't though, for some odd reason.

Nintendo knows

Anyway is it just me or does NAir have a stronger finishing hit than it did in Brawl?

I wouldn't doubt it; like I said in the social thread pretty much all multihitting aerials in Smash 4 have autolink angles that actually drag the victim along with you so that all of the hits have a much easier time connecting.

ilysm

sleepy
The trailer suggest that Lucas would be able to chain nairs together in a manner similar to Ness's fair. So everyone get hype for the nairplane! I'm also wondering what potential setups could come out of dthrow. Nair was shown, but uair is another possible followup. Perhaps a bair or dair (though they didn't show dair at all so anything could have been changed) could lead into a jab reset/lock. I just hope that fair autocancels or has a bit less landing lag than Brawl so you can throw it out in the neutral more without it having to be such a commitment.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
fair autocanceled in brawl in a SH. Fair -> dtilt lock was actually a thing if your opponent didnt react fast enough. SH Retreating Fair was really safe.

Im really worried about his Nair. I don't like how they changed the move and I don't want that to happen to his dair.

It looks like Bair is still bad. I hope they made it faster in landing lag, or at least powerful.

Also, i realised i entirely forgot dash attack. That needs to change too.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
fair autocanceled in brawl in a SH. Fair -> dtilt lock was actually a thing if your opponent didnt react fast enough. SH Retreating Fair was really safe.

Im really worried about his Nair. I don't like how they changed the move and I don't want that to happen to his dair.

It looks like Bair is still bad. I hope they made it faster in landing lag, or at least powerful.

Also, i realised i entirely forgot dash attack. That needs to change too.
N-Air is most likely going to be nerfed so it isn't as safe. Hopefully it still autocancels from a SH, though. D-Air will most likely be changed to fit with the multi-hit move properties, so hopefully that isn't hurt as hard. B-Air's spike hitbox will hopefully be bigger so it could be useful for edgeguarding, at least.

I don't think DAir will change to fit with multihit moves... like it is a multihit aerial, but it's not THAT kind of multihit aerial, you know? It's basically Pac-Man's DAir.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Possibly. I have a feeling it'll carry the opponent similar to Kirby's D-Air, though. I'm not sure why... but I just have that feeling.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Hype for Lucas. Did hid Bair always spike? Also that down tilt has almost no lag!!!

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
To start some actual moveset discussion here, how do you guys think the new Smash 4 mechanics will affect Lucas' moveset?

NAir is probably gonna be super good, even if its damage is nerfed because wowee it actually links now and that finishing hit looks nice. DThrow > NAir looked like a true combo since Mega Man didn't seem to finish steaming (which is what shows when hitstun ends) before the NAir and that might lead into UAir? For KOs?!

PK Fire still seems kind of eh. Um, PK Freeze for USmash setups?

Idk about DSmash since rolls are universally disgustingly good in this game.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
NAir is probably gonna be super good, even if its damage is nerfed because wowee it actually links now and that finishing hit looks nice. DThrow > NAir looked like a true combo since Mega Man didn't seem to finish steaming (which is what shows when hitstun ends) before the NAir and that might lead into UAir? For KOs?!

PK Fire still seems kind of eh. Um, PK Freeze for USmash setups?

Idk about DSmash since rolls are universally disgustingly good in this game.
I guess if you set it up right it would be good?

Unlike Mewtwo, he shoots multiple times, so it could (theoretically) be used to Punish roll spammers....

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
The thing is, won't N-Air end up being worse? It has less hits, which in turn would make it easier to punish when hitting shields. I may be wrong on that, so correct me if I am.

D-Smash could be so good for dealing with rolls, while punishing them super hard at the same time.

Depending on how the multihit properties are put on, D-Air could be disgustingly good for edgeguarding opponents. Hopefully it's like Kirby's D-Air!

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
The thing is, won't N-Air end up being worse? It has less hits, which in turn would make it easier to punish when hitting shields. I may be wrong on that, so correct me if I am.

D-Smash could be so good for dealing with rolls, while punishing them super hard at the same time.

Depending on how the multihit properties are put on, D-Air could be disgustingly good for edgeguarding opponents. Hopefully it's like Kirby's D-Air!
I mean if it Auto Cancels, then Nair shouldn't be THAT bad right?

I also agree with the Dair part.

Also, Lucas needs Fair strings like Ness.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
To start some actual moveset discussion here, how do you guys think the new Smash 4 mechanics will affect Lucas' moveset?
I'm hoping D-Smash can be used as a viable Edge guarding tool, despite the larger range for a character to grab the ledge in this game. I mean, Multiple Hits covering the Ledge, hopefully it'll be useful against the likes of Up Special Recoveries like say, Fox/Falco and Pit's. I don't think it'll hit both sides though, it'll probably be more akin to ZSS's in that aspect.

That reminds me, I know Lucas doesn't have Ness's disgusting Back Throw, but given that he has Psychic Powers, that has to be a given that his throws will be powerful knockback wise. I'm not banking much on U-Throw since those suck in Smash 4, but F-Throw and B-Throw hopefully will be decent for KOing. Pivot Throw will be a good tool (same should go for Pivot F-Tilt since that range).

Also, Z-airs should be good for poking shields in the air like ZSS and Link can do.

One last thing, I'm hoping Lucas's combo game will be good in this, if Project M is any indication. He felt in Brawl that his moveset was really meant for alot of combos, but due to that not being a thing in Brawl, he didn't shine as much in that aspect as he could have.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Great post, Spider!

Yeah, I'm really hoping he has combos. At least akin to Ness. I don't think he'll have Mario or Kirby combos, but he'll probably be close to that. He has a lot of tools to start combos, and a lot of good finishing moves, along with really high damage on some of his moves. The main worry is his IASA frames on things, which can be the start or death of a combo game.

Z-Air will be really good for shield poking, at least if it's fixed. If N-Air and PKT stay the same, Lucas can demolish shields whether aggressive or defensive playstyles are used.

I never really thought about using D-Smash to cover the ledge! That could actually work REALLY well. Characters with big frames like Rosalina may get hit before they can even grab on the ledge, while others may end up getting hit during the ledge vulnerability frames.

I'd really like to know if his advanced techniques with PK Fire and Magnet are still in. They could improve his edgeguarding game a ton considering he has a proper tether recovery, along with possible D-Air and B-Air buffs.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Uthrow was pretty strong in Brawl. If you translated that power to Smash 4, you'd be looking at 140% kills on midweights.
Otherwise Bthrow would do the job with a bit more power behind it.

Nair's shield pressure game used to be perfect in Brawl. If Nair didn't poke you a 3 hit Jab combo immediately after probably would. Now it's just... not that good.

I reckon FH Nair -> DJ Fair might work, if you can act out of Nair.
Uair juggle strings at low %, if it keeps its low landing lag.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I wonder if N-Air will keep it's absurd damage output. If so, Lucas is going to get a lot of damage out of one grab. I'm actually happy that Lucas doesn't have an amazing grab, though, as it means he won't become an overpowered braindead combo-er by using D-Throw to some random aerial. Even if he does have throw combos, which he most likely will, he can't rely solely on it like other characters can as the grab is super punishable. That also means the Lucas boards will generally stay with MOTHER 3 fans instead of tryhards who want a top tier to main. If Lucas keeps his advanced techniques, he could end up like Peach, where he's a really good character with a high skill ceiling, so there's not a billion of them.

Top Bottom