• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Panelists: Rat, Oro?!, Sveet

In order for a player to be ranked, they must be considered active. For a previously ranked player that means 1 tournament and for a newly ranked player it is 2 tournaments in the ranking period. A tournament counts towards the ranking if it includes 3 or more previously ranked players. All players must attend at least 1 tournament in Illinois. A player must also not be ranked on any other list to be ranked on this list(9/7/11). This list is based primarily on results, which may not directly relate to actual skill. Previous ranking also had a slight influence on placing on the current list. The numerical placing a player got at a tournament was not considered, only who they beat and who they lost to.Instead of only 1 tournament for previously Ranked members, it's a minimum two tournaments. The new rule will not effect this season, only future seasons.

Tournaments included in this ranking period:
Smash To The Future: Now With 1.21 Gigawatts!
Smash To The Future: Let's See If You B***hes Can Do 90!
Smash To The Future Part IV: Where We're Going, We Don't Need DI!
Smash to the Future Part V: Where We're Going, We Don't Need DI!
IMDB
Road to Apex: The Big House
Sakurai Can't Save You Now 4!
Don't Blink ~After Story~ 2
Don't Blink ~After Story~ 3

[collapse=9/7/11]

9/7/2011
1. Kels - Chicago :fox::falco::sheik:

2. Tink - Gary, IN :fox::falco::marth::sheik:

3. Matt - Crystal Lake :fox::falco::sheik:

4. Dark Atma - St. Louis, MO :sheik::peach:

5. Dart - Peoria :marth::fox:

6. Tom - Crystal Lake :falcon::mario2:

7. Rat- Oak Lawn :samus2:

8. Trail - Chicago :popo::ganondorf:

9. ORLY - McHenry :falcon::fox:

10. Sveet - Warrenville/Dekalb :fox::marth::sheik:

Honorable Mentions
Frootloop - Cheese Land

Oro?! - His back yard is a corn field

Scythe - Somewhere near Chicago

Arty - In the mountains training with bruno

Jeff - The Kitty Doctor 2: Return of Boo Boo

Bonus Awards!
Up and Coming
Hindawg

Captain Falcon Seal of Approval
Afrobandit

A New Challenger Approaches
Zero

The Young Link Award
Gem

Why do you always lose? Award
Looshkin

SGNG7 (5/8/11)
DBDC2 (5/28/11)
SGNG8 (6/4/11)
SGttF1 (6/19/11)
UM Triweekly 3 (6/25/11)
SGttF2 (7/2/11)
SGttF3 (7/16/11)
Genesis 2 (7/23/11)
DBDC4 (7/30/11)
MIST (8/8/11)
SttF1 (8/20/11)
UM Triweekly 5 (8/27/11)
More information: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13284196&postcount=1534[/collapse]
[collapse=4/17/11]
1. Kels - Chicago :fox::falco:
2. Cosmo - Chicago :zelda:
3. Matt - Crystal Lake :fox::sheik::falco:
4. Tink - Gary, IN :fox::marth::sheik:
5. Deku - Champaign :fox::falco::sheik::marth:
6. Dart - Peoria :marth::fox:
7. Velynn - Grand Rapids, MI :jigglypuff:
8. Tom - Crystal Lake :falcon:
9. Little England - West Laffayette, IN :falco:
<3. Rat - Chicago :samus2:
<3. Duck - Ann Arbor, MI :samus2:
12. AnDaLe - Peoria :jigglypuff::falco:
13. Moose - Ann Arbor, MI :falco:
14. Trail - Chicago :popo:
15. ORLY - McHenry :falcon:
16. John! - Naperville/Wisconsin :peach:
17. Vro - Chicago :falcon::falco::marth:
18. Scythe - Chicago :falcon::falco::mario2:
19. Bzoo - Geneva :falcon:
20. Goosefactor - West Laffayette, IN :marth::sheik::fox:

Honorable Mentions
Sveet
Juggleguy
Purdue

SWEET IV (12/4/10)
SG Tink/BigD I (12/18/10)
SG:NG IV (1/15/11)
SSBO LI (1/29/11)
SG Tink/BigD II (2/5/11)
SSBO LII (2/12/11)
SSBO LIV (2/26/11)
SG:NG V (2/26/11)
SMYM 12 (3/5/11)
GSS (3/19/11)
SG:NG VI (4/2/11)
SSBO LVI (4/9/11)
More information: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12548058&postcount=843[/collapse]
[collapse=12/7/10]
2. Tink - Gary, IN :marth::fox:
3. Matt R. - Crystal Lake :fox:
4. Tom R. - Crystal Lake :falcon:
5. Cosmo - Chicago :zelda:
6. Dart - Peoria :marth:
7. Little England - West Lafayette, IN :falco:
8. Rat -Oak Lawn :samus2:
9. AnDaLe - Peoria :jigglypuff::falco:
10. Big D - ???? :falco::falcon:
11. Vro - Oak Brook/Chicago :falcon::marth:
12. ORLY - McHenry :falcon:
13. KirkQ - West Lafayette, IN :falco:
14. Eighteen Spikes -????, WI :drmario:
15. Sveet - Warrenville :random:

Specific tournaments we looked at for this ranking period:
SCSYN3
SSBO XLIV, XLV, XLVII, XLIX
SG:NG I, II
HD:R![/collapse]

[collapse=10/02/2010]
2. Cosmo - Chicago :zelda:
3. Tom R. - Crystal Lake :falcon:
4. Matt R. - Crystal Lake :sheik::fox::falco:
5. Trail - Chicago :popo:
6. Dart - Peoria :marth:
7. ORLY - McHenry :falcon:
8. AnDaLe -Peoria :jigglypuff::falco:
9. Sveet - Warrenville :fox::marth:
10. Vro - Oak Brook/Chicago :falco::falcon:

Specific tournaments we looked at for this ranking period:
POE3
Vro Zone Tournament (July)
SCSYN3
SSBO XLIV & XLV
SG:NG1
Revival of Wisconsin[/collapse]

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
tink lives in IN, and we are currently split on whether to include him. So far our criteria is IL residency though its proposed that people who are active enough in the IL scene should be included in the list.

as for deku, he falls into the inactive section currently as his only tournament attendance among the ones we looked at was POE3. It seems he will be going to a few tournaments coming up, so i hope to have him included in future lists.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
tink and quaz should be allowed to be on the list. they attend enough tournaments. same for mundungu and possibly darkatma

the point of this list should be to look out for the competition and give people an idea where they stand. tink is always a threat in tournaments. obviously he should be 2 or 3 on the list. he needs to be on there asap. and wtf happened to vro? last time i checked he was wrecking the people ranked 6 through 9

Dart!

Smash Master
tink and quaz should be allowed to be on the list. they attend enough tournaments. same for mundungu and possibly darkatma

the point of this list should be to look out for the competition and give people an idea where they stand. tink is always a threat in tournaments. obviously he should be 2 or 3 on the list. he needs to be on there asap. and wtf happened to vro? last time i checked he was wrecking the people ranked 6 through 9
I beat him at the last tournament and have beaten him in numerous MM's...which are somehow criteria as well...
also anthony doesn't really play that much, T_T

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
One technicality in geographic location does not reflect Tink's level of participation in the Illinois tournament scene. The power rankings should be about evaluating tournament results in a region, and it'd be stupid to not include Tink when considering just that for Chicago-land Melee. Include him.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
i like having a IL only list...if you include tink then you have to include player X, and if you include player X then you need to include player Y, etc etc

also LOL at tom > matt but idc

john!

Smash Hero
Is this thread really happening...

I submit my humble opinion:

1. Kels
2. Cosmo
3. Tink
4. Matt R
5. Tom R
6. Dart
7. Trail
8. AnDaLe
9. Vro
10. ORLY/John

ORLY is probably better than me, but I can beat him consistently on good days. Also I outplaced him at POE, SCSYN, and Vro Zone, so it's kind of a toss-up. And sorry Joe, but Vro is better than you imo.

edit: I may have forgotten Zec and Mendoza, do you think they qualify for the list?

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
I'm too new to the scene to judge places. (I have an opinion, but I'll just bite my tongue on this one.)

What I will criticize however is the first post. It looks tacky. What's wrong with it:

-No mission statement
-Little on what criteria needs to be met to be ranked (does an IL PR require IL residency? *I think it should, but this isn't my PR lol* Just answer this question and the whole Tink discussion will stop.)
-There is no need for the different font colors and sizes. It looks quite...elementary.
-The date is more or less hidden
-I like that you included the tournaments you used for this ranking. However, I think that should be included under or above the list of players.

Example:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=85627

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
]ORLY is probably better than me, but I can beat him consistently on good days. Also I outplaced him at POE, SCSYN, and Vro Zone, so it's kind of a toss-up. And sorry Joe, but Vro is better than you imo.
I've beaten vro the last couple times we've played, and i have a winning record against chris...

actual placing is not as important as who you beat. i out placed chris at SCSYN but i think i had an easier bracket (i lost to trail and bigy, beat jayford and rat; chris lost to m2k and meta without winning). Overall, he got 25th and i got 13th, but i don't think there was much of a difference in our skill level. Simply an easier bracket for me.

And john, you have to remember that friendlies are not comparable to tournament matches.

As for this list, I think its very representitive of the current state of the IL scene. I agree that Vro could definitely be higher if he tried, but I dont see him playing as much as he used to; he mostly plays SC2 now. Tom was placed above Matt simply because Tom beat everyone ranked above him in tournament, something Matt hasn't yet done. Trail considers himself semi-retired last i talked to him, but he still beats the people below him and loses to the people above him. Dart wins fairly consistently against the people below him, and gives the people above him close sets. Chris has been working on his game a lot recently, beat cosmo in a MM, but still places below the people above him. AnDaLe is semi-inactive and like vro could definitely be ranked above where he is now if he tried. Myself, I feel like i'm battling against consistency problems. Like everyone else in IL, I plan on trying my best to prove that I belong in a higher spot.

john!

Smash Hero
I've beaten vro the last couple times we've played, and i have a winning record against chris...

actual placing is not as important as who you beat. i out placed chris at SCSYN but i think i had an easier bracket (i lost to trail and bigy, beat jayford and rat; chris lost to m2k and meta without winning). Overall, he got 25th and i got 13th, but i don't think there was much of a difference in our skill level. Simply an easier bracket for me.

And john, you have to remember that friendlies are not comparable to tournament matches.

As for this list, I think its very representitive of the current state of the IL scene. I agree that Vro could definitely be higher if he tried, but I dont see him playing as much as he used to; he mostly plays SC2 now. Tom was placed above Matt simply because Tom beat everyone ranked above him in tournament, something Matt hasn't yet done. Trail considers himself semi-retired last i talked to him, but he still beats the people below him and loses to the people above him. Dart wins fairly consistently against the people below him, and gives the people above him close sets. Chris has been working on his game a lot recently, beat cosmo in a MM, but still places below the people above him. AnDaLe is semi-inactive and like vro could definitely be ranked above where he is now if he tried. Myself, I feel like i'm battling against consistency problems. Like everyone else in IL, I plan on trying my best to prove that I belong in a higher spot.
i'd say placing matters too as an overall measure of skill, rather than individual match-ups and tournament activity... chris may have gotten better though, so w/e... i also have trouble with consistency, but i guess i'm gonna have to prove myself next time i come down to illinois if i want to claim a spot... :lick:

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I will do any of the following MUs for any amount of $$$ because they are all free.
My Falcon vs anything
My Falco vs anything
My Sheik vs anything
My Marth vs your Peach
My Fox vs your Sheik

Dart!

Smash Master

****in trail...how does he work?
gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh just retire already so i can move up >:p

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
zec is in NYC and did ok at a tournament there. he tied with hax at one. no clue about mendoza, although i miss that mofo. hella chill dude

kels, cosmo, and tink are the beasts of this area. the R bros are **** too, but i think the aforementioned 3 are slightly better. miss you guys <3

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
take the sheik off my name and put fox/falco lol

also, you should put dekuschrub at like number 5 or 6 after HDR

and more panelists should be added imo

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
i only play sheik for samus/marth/ez pz low tiers anymore

my other chars do better against everyone else since i dont practice sheik

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
list looks pretty good

i foresee andale moving up to 5 soon
however dart is quite good now. i just dunno how good

Rat

Smash Lord
Heads up *******s this list sucks.

1) Tink should be on this list @ #2.
I honestly think it's disrespectful to not have him on there. IL residence should NOT be the criteria for which this is judged.
It should primarily be involvement in the IL melee scene. Of which Tink is beast.
He has the second highest attendance at the Vro Zone (64%) and of the 6 tournaments you'all looked at, Tink attened 5. Which more than any other player on the Ranking!

2) Vro should be higher than Sveet and Andale.

3) I should be on this list.

1) **** You
2) The list is published 6 weeks and 3 days after the last tournament I entered. I'm inactive? **** you.
3) Oh Boy let's see if I qualify:

Of the tournament list the two I entered I placed 4th and 17th (i'm pretty sure I have legit johns for SCSYN3).

I think you should also consider these tournaments:
July 3rd MAS - I got 3rd.
Or maybe the Vro Zone - I got 2nd?
How about Apex - I placed 49th. Which is 32 places higher than Vro @81st (<3 Vro.)

How about my recent tournament record against the power ranked players?
Kels 0-4
Cosmo 0-1 (Plays Zelda so he doesn't count.)
TomR 0-1
MattR 0-0 (Lifetime I'm 1-1 with him. He's much better than me.)
Trail 1-0 (Lifetime I think i'm 2-2.)
Dart! 2 - 0 (Recently he's been going into beast mode. Good **** dart!.)
Andale 1 - 0 (He did beat me in a money match.)
ORLY 2 - 0 (Never beaten me in tournament.)
Vro 1 - 1 (This might be 1-2 I don't remember. It's probably like 4-4)
Sveet 1-1

I have a winning or tied record against half of the top 10. Consider me again.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
rat beat me at the july 3rd mas

what a stud

and yeah 49th at a national is really good, im impressed cause i get 65th at every national i go to, good ****

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Rat, someone said you moved to MI O_O

also, i'm not the only one doing this stuff. If you want action, contact some of the other panelists. I agree with most things that have been posted here, but its not gonna happen unless the other panelists get behind it

john!

Smash Hero
There needs to be a statistically based system for determining placement on the list. Placing in tournament, head-to-head results, etc... like the character rankings list, but for people. You made the CRL Sveet, so I know you're capable of doing something like that for IL PR. It would definitely cut back on the amount of controversy and drama... you can't argue with numbers, can ya?

If we had a record of all recent IL tournaments, with placement and who beat whom, then it would be easy to objectively rank people in a fair order.

Rat

Smash Lord
like hell I moved to MI. I went to my Nieces birthday party last weekend, which was also in MI. She turned 1!

Other panelists. That means you Chris Vro Cosmo and BP. Put tink on there and please consider me.

Also I'm totally behind Johns idea. An ELO ranking would be the sickness.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Oh man, after playing tonight I think I might be able to rampage my way onto this list (with Bowser, no less). You youngsters had better watch out!

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
dart you are a common situation where you have 2 sets of characters that counter eachother in circles. you have two choices:

double blind and hope you guess right, then play up to your standard in order to get the win

OR

man up and beat sheik with marth / beat falco with fox.

Quaz

Smash Master
Stick with marth Dart

Peach gets owned by like every top tier in terms of generic matchup but that doesn't stop me ^_^

Not even falcon

bring it on CHRIS!!

Oro?!

Smash Hero
dart you are a common situation where you have 2 sets of characters that counter eachother in circles. you have two choices:

double blind and hope you guess right, then play up to your standard in order to get the win

OR

man up and beat sheik with marth / beat falco with fox.
OR pick up Zelda. She counters everyone. ;)

Top Bottom