• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chibi-Robo plugs into smash

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Just gonna bump this thread because it isn't active enough. And Chibi Robo doesn't make sense as a Mii gunner.

ARGH cmon fighters pass 5-8

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
sorta:

the first game was on an unsuccessful console that was on it's way out

one didn't leave japan

one was a gimmicky AR game

one was a walmart exclusive

and zip-lash made the series into a generic platformer
well the first one came out in 2005 in japan

one not leaving japan would have been due to the lack of success of its two predecessors

and the wallmart thing was just an american problem

the gimmicky ar one was probably successful enough for them to number 5

and you cant really say it changed the series when weve yet to get a follow up

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
well the first one came out in 2005 in japan

one not leaving japan would have been due to the lack of success of its two predecessors

and the wallmart thing was just an american problem

the gimmicky ar one was probably successful enough for them to number 5

and you cant really say it changed the series when weve yet to get a follow up
1.2005 is still on it's way out as the wii would come out next year

2.still doesn't mean it'll succeed

3.the walmart thing was for all of north america, and it never came out in europe

4.maybe

5.yeah but it still took chibi-robo and made it a generic platformer

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
1.2005 is still on it's way out as the wii would come out next year

2.still doesn't mean it'll succeed

3.the walmart thing was for all of north america, and it never came out in europe

4.maybe

5.yeah but it still took chibi-robo and made it a generic platformer
1 it was a year and a half before the wii and was in fact later brought to the wii

2 I never said it would succeed I was saying why it was Japan only

3 yeah America but not Japan and Australia

5 that sounds more like a problem you have

if Nintendo didn’t want Chibi-Robo to succeed then they wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of of helping skip make 5 games

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Nintendo's always been a bit weird about Chibi-Robo. They definitely gave him more chances than other minor franchises, but the various exclusivity deals and limited runs didn't do it any favours. Chibi really needed a little bit of a marketing push.

The most I remember seeing it get a push was Zip Lash between advertisements, and coming packaged with a really cute amiibo in the height of amiibo's popularity.

But Zip Lash definitely wasn't the best way for them to go, IMO.
Fans of traditional Chibi-Robo didn't want a platformer title, and even as platformers went it had some massive design faults that held it back like the weird level select being a roulette wheel that stops you from just progressing level to level like a normal platformer. Also the levels were weirdly uncreative and generic when they could have been incredibly creative with the worlds being designed around Chibi-Robo being a tiny little robot toy.

2D platformer fans have plenty of other series dedicated to them; Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Sonic, Megaman...etc so there's little interest in playing a platformer version of characters from other genres...I love me a platformer, but I can't pretend a Fire Emblem or Zelda platformer would excite me.

I remember they did similar with "Hey! Pikmin" trying out how it did as a 2D platformer which they felt would be a genre that appealed to more of a mainstream audience hoping to find more fans for the series, and "Hey! Pikmin" ended up easily being the WORST selling game in the entire franchise.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe has just had a rerelease and whilst Pikmin is never going to be the greatest seller, it's already the best selling game in the franchise with many newcomers giving the game more of a chance than ever before.
All it took was some marketing behind it, a demo and some QoL upgrades to make the game more newcomer friendly.

At this point I really just want a port of the Gamecube game. I feel like Chibi could do ridiculously well if they tried him now.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Nintendo's always been a bit weird about Chibi-Robo. They definitely gave him more chances than other minor franchises, but the various exclusivity deals and limited runs didn't do it any favours. Chibi really needed a little bit of a marketing push.

The most I remember seeing it get a push was Zip Lash between advertisements, and coming packaged with a really cute amiibo in the height of amiibo's popularity.

But Zip Lash definitely wasn't the best way for them to go, IMO.
Fans of traditional Chibi-Robo didn't want a platformer title, and even as platformers went it had some massive design faults that held it back like the weird level select being a roulette wheel that stops you from just progressing level to level like a normal platformer. Also the levels were weirdly uncreative and generic when they could have been incredibly creative with the worlds being designed around Chibi-Robo being a tiny little robot toy.

2D platformer fans have plenty of other series dedicated to them; Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Sonic, Megaman...etc so there's little interest in playing a platformer version of characters from other genres...I love me a platformer, but I can't pretend a Fire Emblem or Zelda platformer would excite me.

I remember they did similar with "Hey! Pikmin" trying out how it did as a 2D platformer which they felt would be a genre that appealed to more of a mainstream audience hoping to find more fans for the series, and "Hey! Pikmin" ended up easily being the WORST selling game in the entire franchise.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe has just had a rerelease and whilst Pikmin is never going to be the greatest seller, it's already the best selling game in the franchise with many newcomers giving the game more of a chance than ever before.
All it took was some marketing behind it, a demo and some QoL upgrades to make the game more newcomer friendly.

At this point I really just want a port of the Gamecube game. I feel like Chibi could do ridiculously well if they tried him now.
Exactly! What they need to do is remake the first game on the switch, no caveats, and about this year, and it'll actually succeed!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I first saw Chibi Robo as a sticker and a trophy in Brawl. Though I have never personally played a full length game, I watched someone else play a demo, and since then, I have been fascinated with its potential prospectsmfor Smash Bros. So I support, fogbadge fogbadge . I imagine it would be conceptually easier to use Chibi (and other size/weight misfits) if two new weight classes ('colossus' and 'feather') were introduced in the next game.

Top Bottom