• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Checkmate" - Robin SSB5 Combo and Tech Sharing Thread

Muramishi

Smash Rookie
Robin's combo game in Ultimate feels improved overall. Arc Fire feels more consistent, like all other multi-hits in this engine, allowing for easier follow-ups. Though Arc Thunder did see a nerf, Levin NAir feels powerful and adds damage and speed to his aerial game.

Post here any additional combos, tech, and general information about the Master Tactician.

I'll start by posting my own combo video here:

MaverickF

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2129-3335-5904
Hey amazing video, man. Robin feels so much more fluid in this game and I feel like he was missing that in SSB4. Really gonna have fun with some of these, especially those arcfire combos. Keep it up!

Pytonrage

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
7077-3617-8111
As an addition to the combo video I show some early and easy kill confirms that you usually wanna go for if you dont have Thoron.
As you can clearly see the double Arcfire into Bair kills super early. You can do it from both sides so if your opponent approaches you from the center of the stage and you get them with Arcfire, you can just Bair them from the other side after the second Arcfire and they are dead.
But the Arcfire -> Dsmash is also pretty good if you catch them trying to get up from the ledge, since you then dont have enough space for the double Arcfire.

Ofc with Thoron you can try to go for the Fthrow -> Thoron or Dthrow -> Levin Nair -> Thoron or catch them on the ledge with Arcfire and just shoot the thing. Has to be the safest kill confirm in the game-

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
this is a thing someone posted in the CCI thread, it's a universal thing and not something specific to any characters, it might be useful, it might not be, but I figured that it couldn't hurt to repost it here:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
As an addition to the combo video I show some early and easy kill confirms that you usually wanna go for if you dont have Thoron.
As you can clearly see the double Arcfire into Bair kills super early. You can do it from both sides so if your opponent approaches you from the center of the stage and you get them with Arcfire, you can just Bair them from the other side after the second Arcfire and they are dead.
But the Arcfire -> Dsmash is also pretty good if you catch them trying to get up from the ledge, since you then dont have enough space for the double Arcfire.

Ofc with Thoron you can try to go for the Fthrow -> Thoron or Dthrow -> Levin Nair -> Thoron or catch them on the ledge with Arcfire and just shoot the thing. Has to be the safest kill confirm in the game-
Man I feel like I am just bad then lol I try to combo anything other than a tilt with Arcfire and I don't get the hit off and you make it look easy.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
So an interesting mechanic i found-

If you quickly tap the shield button while charging thunder on the ground, it will put Robin back into his idle stance without bringing up shield. I did some testing with the frame by frame feature in training, and if you're frame perfect with it, you can perform any grounded option on frame 1 (instantaneous) out of thunder charge without having to shield, roll, jump or cast like in smash 4. Essentially we can now dash, tilt, or smash attack, all immediately out of thunder in addition to our old options.

Other characters with chargable stored projectiles also have this mechanic, so now we can expect samuses, mewtwos, lucarios and the like to be utilising this movement mixup with their charge shots.

For reference, here are all of our options out of thunder now:

In the air:
Double jump
Cast
B reverse
Airdodge

On the ground:
Jump
Cast
Grounded b reverse
Shield
Roll/spotdodge
Dash/dash attack
Jab
All 3 tilts
All 3 smash attacks

Charge projectiles are amazing in this game!

Edit: Also, since Robins charge is saved based on a hierarchy unlike all other charge shots, Robin is unique in that he/she can use this mechanic indefintely, so long as the player doesn't let the charge reach thoron.

Last edited:

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
If it's not been mentioned here or elsewhere, z-dropping spent equipment into an Elwind is a good way to kill low recovery attempts.

A common tactic I've been using is to burn two Nosferatu charges early in a stock to have easy access to a spent tome.

Just a penguin

Smash Master
If it's not been mentioned here or elsewhere, z-dropping spent equipment into an Elwind is a good way to kill low recovery attempts.

A common tactic I've been using is to burn two Nosferatu charges early in a stock to have easy access to a spent tome.
That's a great idea! What would you say are the other uses of Nosferatu in this game? It doesn't look as useful as Arcfire or any of the charges, but maybe I'm just missing out on something.

Glory Blaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
GloryBlaze37
That's a great idea! What would you say are the other uses of Nosferatu in this game? It doesn't look as useful as Arcfire or any of the charges, but maybe I'm just missing out on something.
Nosferatu is an excellent tool and an important part of Robin's kit. Notably, it's a command grab, meaning it works on shielding opponents.
What does this mean?

It's one of our best tools to approach an opponent on a platform above us. Being above another character makes you vulnerable. It's much easier for a grounded character to hit someone on a platform above them (up tilt, up smash, short hop aerials, etc) than for a character on a platform to hit a grounded character. However, most characters cannot hit an opponent on a platform above them who is shielding, as characters typically cannot grab while in the air. Therefore, when your opponent is on a platform above you and you jump at them, the most common reaction is going to be a shield. Nosferatu handily beats shields, doing hefty damage and healing Robin.

Nos is also great as a tomahawk grab. One of Robin's best approach options in neutral is to jump towards the opponent with a levin fair, as it's quite safe on shield if spaced correctly. If you do this enough during a match, the opponent will either keep getting hit and die (we win) or start reflexively reacting when they see you jump in. the most common option by far is that when you jump towards your opponent horizontally, they will shield in an attempt to either block or parry levin fair. This means that they are vulnerable to nosferatu. As soon as the opponent starts consistently shielding levin fair, jump at them and don't use fair at all. Instead, hit them with nosferatu as you land. We win.

As a side note, if they seem to develop a habit of spot dodging the levin fair instead of shielding it, don't use nosferatu. Instead, swing with levin fair like usual and if it whiffs, just land and start mashing A to jab. Levin fair has low enough landing lag (and jab is quick enough) that we'll typically catch the spot dodge. Again, we win.

Last edited:

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
So heres a more in depth explanation on the charge cancelling tech I posted above that was just posted on youtube a few hours ago for those curious about how exactly it works and who can utilise it. Also, love the name for the tech, I'd say it's pretty much as official as tech names get, so introducing the Charge Storage Cancel! :colorful:

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think I might've found something interesting. Shorthop Bronze U-air leads combos perfectly into Levin U-air as a kill confirm. I've been trying it with Mario at 90% on FD and it seems pretty legit. I think it's possible to pull it off with one full jump alone, but it seems easier to do it by quickly exhausting your double jump. I don't have a capture card so I can't really post a video, so could someone look further into this?

There's also sourspot shorthop Levin U-air comboing into regular Levin B-air. Works around 70% with Mario near the ledge. Might also want to look into this one.

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I think I might've found something interesting. Shorthop Bronze U-air leads combos perfectly into Levin U-air as a kill confirm. I've been trying it with Mario at 90% on FD and it seems pretty legit. I think it's possible to pull it off with one full jump alone, but it seems easier to do it by quickly exhausting your double jump. I don't have a capture card so I can't really post a video, so could someone look further into this?

There's also sourspot shorthop Levin U-air comboing into regular Levin B-air. Works around 70% with Mario near the ledge. Might also want to look into this one.
Both of these were known, but they have been pretty underutilized by most robins I think. The percents for the earliest kill %s on the full roster has been labbed out recently though by Jul, one of the flashiest robins I've seen so far. Here are his results:

Bronze Up Air -> Levin Up Air Kill % (on BF)
-4 / -5% on FD / YS / PkS
-1% on T&C / SV
-5% on PS2
-4% on YI
+2% Kalos

1. Bayonetta - 84%
2. Bowser - 118%
3. Bowser Jr. - 100%
4. Captain Falcon - 98%
5. Chrom - 93%
6. Cloud - 95%
7. Corrin - 93%
8. Daisy - 89%
9. Dark Samus - 101%
10. Diddy Kong - 89%
11. Donkey Kong - 103%
12. Duck Hunt - 87%
13. Falco - 84%
14. Fox - 81%
15. Ganondorf - 104%
16. Greninja - 87%
17. Ice Climbers - 86%
18. Ike - 99%
19. Incineroar - 104%
20. Inkling - 91%
21. Isabelle - 89%
22. Jigglypuff - 75%
23. King Dedede - 111%
24. King K. Rool - 114%
25. Kirby - 82%
26. Link - 97%
27. Little Mac - 87%
28. Lucas - 92%
29. Lucario - 90%
30. Luigi - 93%
31. Mario / Dr. Mario - 94%
32. Marth / Lucina - 90%
33. Mega Man - 97%
34. Meta Knight - 83%
35. Mewtwo - 80%
36. Mii - (B) 90% (S) 95 (G) 97%
37. Mr. Game & Watch - 79%
38. Ness - 92%
39. Olimar - 83%
40. Pac-Man - 91%
41. Palutena - 89%
42. Peach - 89%
43. Pichu - 71%
44. Pikachu - 82%
45. Pit / Dark Pit - 92%
46. Piranha Plant - 105%
47. Pokemon Trainer - (S) 79% (I) 93% (C) 106%
48. Richter - 100%
49. Ridley - 99%
50. R.O.B. - 100%
51. Robin - 93%
52. Rosalina & Luma - 84%
53. Roy - 92%
54. Ryu / Ken - 98%
55. Samus - 100%
56. Sheik - 81%
57. Shulk - 93%
58. Simon - 99%
59. Snake - 99%
60. Sonic - 87%
61. Toon Link - 90%
62. Villager - 91%
63. Wario - 99%
64. Wii Fit Trainer - 92%
65. Wolf - 90%
66. Yoshi - 97%
67. Young Link - 88%
68. Zelda - 86%
69. Zero Suit Samus - 83%

(Note: With human DI, % is +1—2. This list only shows the earliest the combo will kill without rage.)

Top Bottom