• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cheap pokemon move sets

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
First off, the one we all know,

Breloom
Sky Uppercut
Focus Punch
Spore
Substitute

Then

Jynx
Lovely Kiss
Mean Look
Perish Song
Taunt

Not to mention

Sceptile
Protect
Substitute
Leach Seed
Toxic

What are the cheapest pokemon move sets out there?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Well, You'll find out soon enough if you're in reaper's tournament.

Ninjask
Protect
Substitute
Sword Dance
Baton Pass

Dusknoir
Substitute
Focus Punch
Will-o-Wisp
Shadow Sneak
(Because Dusknoir almost always goes last, he always has a sub up for the next turn. Will-o-wisp makes those subs hard to destroy. Shadow Sneak because it has priority)

Garchomp
Sword Dance
Earthquake
Dragon claw
Crunch
(Not perfect, but hey, what the heck?)

And now I have my team for the crew tournament.
Not really.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Note really cheap, but annoying:

Smeargle @choice scarf w/ Spore

I hate that set. Hate it. :mad:

But what I hate even more is:
Something @choice scarf w/trick

:mad::mad::mad:

It just practically kills a defensive pokemon.

I don't really think of any set as "cheap". The closest to "cheap" any pokemon can get in shoddy ladder battles is the standard scisor+technician+SD+bullet punch set. But even that isn't cheap. It's more like, well, good.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
Entei w/Leftovers
+ Eruption
+ Calm Mind
+ Rest
+ Sleep Talk
150 times 1.5 plus Calm Mind equals...math.

Regice w/Leftovers
+ Curse
+ Ice Punch
+ Earthquake
+ Focus Punch
Guess what happens when Skarmory comes out.

Clefable w/Toxic Orb
Magic Guard
+ Cosmic Power
+ Lucky Chant
+ Softboiled
+ Fasade, mutha
Sans ghosts or Steels, the enemy is pretty much dead.

cutter

Smash Champion
A change of pace from the typical Smeargle:

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Jolly
- Trick
- Spore
- Thunder Wave / U-turn / Destiny Bond / *insert filler move here*
- Explosion

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Clefable w/Toxic Orb
Magic Guard
+ Cosmic Power
+ Lucky Chant
+ Softboiled
+ Fasade, mutha
Sans ghosts or Steels, the enemy is pretty much dead.
It works better if you replace lucky chant with flamethrower. And slap on a weather condition.

Frosslass
Destiny bond
Thunderbolt
Ice beam
Shadow ball

Takes out whatever is currently out, destiny bonds whatever comes next.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Shuckle@Leftovers
-Acupressure
-Rest
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Once this thing gets an evasion boost or two (yay for loopholes) your ****ed.
I've used shuckle before. I can say from experience that they can be killed very easily by anything with a super-effective attack. You might not think it's easy, but because rest stops shuckle for three turns and it's attack power is rediculously low, anything that can KO it in 3 attacks is a shuckle counter. In other words, anything with a super effective attack or a stat increasing move is a shuckle counter (especially pokemon immune to toxic).

Incidently, I would replace one of the attack moves with toxic. It does more damage.

Weavile@life orb/focus sash
Fake Out
ice shard
night slash
brick break

Weavile - high attack power, 2-3 turns to kill, and pretty large type coverage. Not good, but very annoying.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My Cacturne, though illegal, is probably the most annoying thing

Sand Veil + Bright Powder + Substitute + Double Team

It's attacks are seed bomb and sucker punch

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
I've used shuckle before. I can say from experience that they can be killed very easily by anything with a super-effective attack. You might not think it's easy, but because rest stops shuckle for three turns and it's attack power is rediculously low, anything that can KO it in 3 attacks is a shuckle counter. In other words, anything with a super effective attack or a stat increasing move is a shuckle counter (especially pokemon immune to toxic).

Incidently, I would replace one of the attack moves with toxic. It does more damage.
I was just listing the shuckle used on my team he never EVER comes out untill everyone else is dead so he can't be roared out and hopefully whatever is a threat is dead. also it is very dependent on getting lucky. I don't care if you can 3HKO him when your reliable moves suddenly have 50% accuracy :p lack of toxic is because my team he's on runs toxic spikes.

D

Deleted member

Any Garchomp set
>_>

explain yourself. Aside from Sand veil, which others pokes have, Garchomp isn't gay at all really.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Timid, Poison Heal
212 HP / 44 SpD / 252 Spe
Spore
Substitute
Leech Seed
Double Team

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
>_>

explain yourself. Aside from Sand veil, which others pokes have, Garchomp isn't gay at all really.
"... unpredictable" :p

You never know what set it is and when you do, you probably already lost a pokemon in doing so. If it get's a SD up, there's not going to be a good switch-in regardless of how strong your wall is. You need to invest/waste a lot of EVs just for ice moves to KO it and the only thing that is faster + OHKOs it is Weavile. To get Weavile out, you have to let something die to get in the switch.The fact that it takes usually takes two pokes to counter Garchomp is pretty lame. When I first started playing shoddy, it was pretty hilarous to see everyone carrying 3 pokemon to deal with Chomp.

Half your team for 1 pokemon?.... ummm no.

Like Latios, it's just too strong :(

D

Deleted member

"... unpredictable" :p

You never know what set it is and when you do, you probably already lost a pokemon in doing so. If it get's a SD up, there's not going to be a good switch-in regardless of how strong your wall is. You need to invest/waste a lot of EVs just for ice moves to KO it and the only thing that is faster + OHKOs it is Weavile. To get Weavile out, you have to let something die to get in the switch.The fact that it takes usually takes two pokes to counter Garchomp is pretty lame. When I first started playing shoddy, it was pretty hilarous to see everyone carrying 3 pokemon to deal with Chomp.

Half your team for 1 pokemon?.... ummm no.
ok. chomp is always going to be jolly, always 252 speed and 252 att, will always have EQ and outrage. you can 2HKO it with ice due to yache berry or you could just....2HKO it with anything else >_> if it takes you 2 pokemon to kill chomp, you are a bad player.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Reflect (2,000 PokeDollars)
Thunder (5,500 PokeDollars)
Protect (2,000 PokeDollars)
Hyper Beam (7,500 PokeDollars)

That'd be 17,000 PokeDollars, pretty cheap if you ask me.

:p

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ok. chomp is always going to be jolly, always 252 speed and 252 att, will always have EQ and outrage.
Is it scarf, yache, chain(lol)? :(
you can 2HKO it with ice due to yache berry or you could just....2HKO it with anything else >_> if it takes you 2 pokemon to kill chomp, you are a bad player.
"Just 2HKO?" If only it was that sweet :( Something will usually die the moment it fails to OHKO Chomp lol. Basically, 2HKOs aren't enough to avoid letting one pokemon die before Chomp goes down.

That act of having 1 thing die automatically makes it take 2 pokemon to take care of Chomp... unless the opponent makes a ******** switch-in (?).

Then again, I guess you're kinda right. I mean... if I devote half my team to beating Garchomp, it shouldn't take 2 pokemon :p

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
ok. chomp is always going to be jolly, always 252 speed and 252 att, will always have EQ and outrage. you can 2HKO it with ice due to yache berry or you could just....2HKO it with anything else >_> if it takes you 2 pokemon to kill chomp, you are a bad player.
Wait, I'm confused... What are you switching into chomp that can survive long enough to 2HKO it? Especially yache chomp. You can switch into a scarf chomp if you can predict the attack, but yache chomp gets his choice of destruction on you with a SD...

Also, chomp is a bit more versatile than you're giving it credit. It can pack draco meteor or fire blast to handle all the physical walls that would switch in. It's also got stone edge and crunch to eat a bunch of other pokemon. It's sets are different enough that the counter of one set will lose to a different set. There's no pokemon that can safely put down Garchomp alone, especially if it's got sand veil going on.

ss118

Smash Master
Don't switch. the current metagame is already shifted into "bulky offense", so really just continuously hitting it is enough to stop any plans it has of trying to sweep your team.

Btw Chain Chomp was dead. Never saw it except for 3 weeks after it was originally released. It sucks. CB Chomp already 2HKOs physical walls, and Yache can just SD and then 2HKO without having to worry about being killed afterwards. "Unpredictable", my ***: it is going to launch a physical attack at something. Or it is going to use a 2x move to THEN use a physical attack. What hurts worse: a 2x physical hit or 2 hits of the same physical power? Oh wait...

D

Deleted member

chomp isn't hard to fight if you just hit it.

edit: lots of pokemon have no counters.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Don't switch. the current metagame is already shifted into "bulky offense", so really just continuously hitting it is enough to stop any plans it has of trying to sweep your team.
This is assuming the opponent switches Chomp into something it won't kill? Continuously hitting it is basically the same thing as the 2HKO statement made by Mow.
Btw Chain Chomp was dead. Never saw it except for 3 weeks after it was originally released. It sucks. CB Chomp already 2HKOs physical walls, and Yache can just SD and then 2HKO without having to worry about being killed afterwards. "Unpredictable", my ***: it is going to launch a physical attack at something. Or it is going to use a 2x move to THEN use a physical attack. What hurts worse: a 2x physical hit or 2 hits of the same physical power? Oh wait...
Held items :D
499 speed or +2 power and semi Ice resistance, either can be even harder to revenge kill if you expected the opposite one.
chomp isn't hard to fight if you just hit it.

edit: lots of pokemon have no counters.
>_>

D

Deleted member

chomp is countered by hitting it. I swear chomp is only banned cause people suck at fighting it.

I can't wait till every scizor is occa berry or CB

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Scizor doesn't have 102 base speed, a 180 power move or a completely unresisited move set combination. Nor does it have the ability to make you miss just because of lol.

Scizor is now just an annoyance rather than an actual problem, easily countered. And even with Occa Berry it's still taking gigantic damage. Garchomp had much more natural bulk than Scizor.

Niiro

Smash Ace
But scizor has access to a base 90 priority move. pretty gay lol. Also has one of the best defenisve typings, with only one weakness.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
So? It's an extremely common weakness just like Garchomps. And garchomp had(at the time) the advantage of it's OTHER weakness being meaningless as none of the other Dragon's in the game were faster than him so they couldn't exploit his dragon weakness. Also, a 90 power Steel move isn't that threatening, it still can't do **** to most bulky waters. Or rotom. Also, it only has 40 base power, it just has 90 after STAB+Technician, so it's not a 90 base power move.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Well Garchomp was weak to a move that had a +1 Priority, while Scizor resists most of them. But ya, Scizor actually has some counters outside of some makeshift gimmiky sets. I still think Garchomp should be OU. >.>

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I can guess who will be using Garchomp in the next tournament.

If you really want to counter garchomp though...
Crobat
Hypnosis
U-turn

EDIT: Frosslass is also faster than Garchomp, not just weavile.

I still think it's a cheap, uncounterable pokemon that the metagame revolves around to a degree; but I like it anyway (when I'm using it).

drcossack

Smash Ace
I can guess who will be using Garchomp in the next tournament.

If you really want to counter garchomp though...
Crobat
Hypnosis
U-turn

EDIT: Frosslass is also faster than Garchomp, not just weavile.

I still think it's a cheap, uncounterable pokemon that the metagame revolves around to a degree; but I like it anyway.
You mean besides me?

Hypnosis isn't likely to hit at 60% Accuracy, and most people use ScarfChomp (myself included); in fact, here's the Chomp I use for Ubers on Shoddy:

Jolly @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
EQ
Outrage
Fire Fang
Stone Edge

Crobat and Frosslass aren't a threat. At 499 Speed, I can bring him into kill/revenge kill Timid Scarf Palkia (usually kill, as I switch him in to save Kyogre from dying to a 2nd use of Thunder.)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Scizor was the most commonly used Pokemon in Shoddy Standard ladder in April. There'll be many people packing Scizor counters.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
-Spore
-Stun Spore
-Substitute
-Focus Punch

Combination of double powder, subpunching, and really gay healing. Totally walled by Ghosts, but that's what Spore is for.

Wallrein @ Leftovers
Ice Body (in Hail, with Toxic Spikes support)
-Substitute
-Protect
-Surf
-Roar

Destroys walls, absorbs status, and stalls while taking no damage. Delightful.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You mean besides me?

Hypnosis isn't likely to hit at 60% Accuracy, and most people use ScarfChomp (myself included); in fact, here's the Chomp I use for Ubers on Shoddy:

Jolly @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
EQ
Outrage
Fire Fang
Stone Edge

Crobat and Frosslass aren't a threat. At 499 Speed, I can bring him into kill/revenge kill Timid Scarf Palkia (usually kill, as I switch him in to save Kyogre from dying to a 2nd use of Thunder.)
The accuracy of hypnosis was raised in D/P to 70%, and there's a hold item that quite a few Crobats use for accuracy.

Now if your using choice scarf, I would bring out a bulky water instead. In fact, I would only bring out either of those pokemon if you K.O.'d the one before it with Chomp.

Not that I care either way. I have a Chompless team that I like, and if he's legalized again, I just use him.

The funny thing about Garchomp is it actually has a lower attack power than Dragonite, Tyranitar, Metagross, and Salamence. Not significantly lower, but lower none-the-less.

EDIT: you know what would be fun?
Hailstorm.
It would have Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and some other pokemon.

drcossack

Smash Ace
The accuracy of hypnosis was raised in D/P to 70%, and there's a hold item that quite a few Crobats use for accuracy.

Now if your using choice scarf, I would bring out a bulky water instead. In fact, I would only bring out either of those pokemon if you K.O.'d the one before it with Chomp.

Not that I care either way. I have a Chompless team that I like, and if he's legalized again, I just use him.

The funny thing about Garchomp is it actually has a lower attack power than Dragonite, Tyranitar, Metagross, and Salamence. Not significantly lower, but lower none-the-less.

EDIT: you know what would be fun?
Hailstorm.
It would have Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and some other pokemon.
It got lowered to 60% in Plat, and even with the Accuracy at 66%, you still miss 1/3rd of the time.

I do agree though, Chomp has problems with Bulky Waters (I often sent Suicune in as a revenge killer when he was still OU), but as long as you're not locked into Outrage, that's not a problem either.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Crobat and Frolass die if they switch-in :(

I think someone already mention this, but Endeavor Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable are pretty annoying, especially when both players are using them...

I ended up in a "switch stall". We both had our fairies out and hail up + one "normal" pokemon. The fairies do 0 damage to another, so trying to fight each other with them was just a waste of PP. If we switch into one of our "normal" pokemon, it would have gotten endeavor + hail *****.
...so we just switched between fairies over and over hahaha, it was so gay.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Crobat and Frolass die if they switch-in :(

I think someone already mention this, but Endeavor Cleffa/Clefairy/Clefable are pretty annoying, especially when both players are using them...

I ended up in a "switch stall". We both had our fairies out and hail up + one "normal" pokemon. The fairies do 0 damage to another, so trying to fight each other with them was just a waste of PP. If we switch into one of our "normal" pokemon, it would have gotten endeavor + hail *****.
...so we just switched between fairies over and over hahaha, it was so gay.
Dueling shuckles! Yay!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Two Darkrai's on the same field that learn Dark Void to put both your Pokemon to sleep and with Dreameater, Nightmare, and Dark Pulse. And lose twice as much damage because of both Darkrai's special. )=

Top Bottom