• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard's moveset needs a redesign!!

Dossa

Smash Rookie
Am I really the only one annoyed by Charizard's moveset? Compared to both Squirtle and Ivysaur he doesn't really feel like a good representation of a Fire Starter Pokémon. Before Smash 4 Flamethrower was actually the only Fire move he had. And I'm not counting the tail attacks, because Charizard's tail just happens to be on fire (There also ain't no such thing as a Fire Tail attack in Pokémon).

Besides a lack of Fire moves, his other moves also feel kinda out of place. His Forward Smash looks ridiculous, like they didn't even knew what to do with it. I bet they don't even know what it's supposed to look like (Is It a headbutt (With the back of the head?¿?) or something more like a Fire Fang?). They even removed the fire effect it had, probably because it didn't make any sense.

Also the inclusion of Rock Smash out of all the moves he is able to learn is a insult to all Charizard fans. And I'm not even talking about how ridiculous the animation looks (BTW It looks even more ridiculous in the air). Besides HM Slaves there is absolutely no reason to use this move ever, so why include it when there are so many other options.

In Smash 4 they decide to give him Flareblitz which also isn't your typical Charizard move as he actually benefits more from special attacks (Not talking about Mega X or Bellydrum). The move not only gives him recoil damage, but also leaves him on the ground like a idiot (Hence why most players actually prefer to use Dragon Rush instead of Flareblitz).

To me Charizard really feels like a joke character. Like if someone was tasked to include him, but secretly hated him. So he decided to make him look like a crappy kamikaze pilot that also likes to smash rocks with his face. Ironically creating Stealth Rock in the process, but somehow not gaining any damage from it.

How hard can it be to make him more like his anime counterpart? They didn't even include his signature: Seismic Toss until Smash 4 (Thanks to Project M). IMO Pokken Tournament did a much better job.

Also sorry to all Rock Smash fans, but i'm actually glad it's gone (They probably gonna return it with the Charizard Amiibo).

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Withdraw doesn't deal damage at all, and Waterfall is physical whereas Squirtle is primarily special attacking. Also in older generations, Charizard used to run mixed attacking with swords dance so having physical moves makes sense. And also his up throw was the same in Brawl iirc. Plus, for Ivysaur, Vine Whip, Bullet Seed, and Razor Leaf on the same set is terrible in real Pokémon games. The only real problem with Charizard is that he sucks due to his frame data and stuff.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Withdraw doesn't deal damage at all, and Waterfall is physical whereas Squirtle is primarily special attacking. Also in older generations, Charizard used to run mixed attacking with swords dance so having physical moves makes sense. And also his up throw was the same in Brawl iirc. Plus, for Ivysaur, Vine Whip, Bullet Seed, and Razor Leaf on the same set is terrible in real Pokémon games. The only real problem with Charizard is that he sucks due to his frame data and stuff.
And don't forget the Charizard in 4 had Mega Charizard X for his mega evolution, which generally benefits physical attacks more, plus there's those "hidden" moves they use in Triple Finish, Hydro Pump, Solarbeam and Fire Blast.

In Pokken Charizard's frame data isn't any better than it is in Smash. They choose to represent his Speed stat through his flying, which they can do in Pokken because jumping is an inherently riskier action there than it is in Smash.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Rock Smash ruled. A big fat fire dragon grabbing a huge boulder out of nowhere to smash it with its face is one of the most extremely badass things Charizard ever did.

It shall be missed.

But also you can attribute these kind of issues to pretty much every Pokemon n Smash.

Last edited:
Rock Smash ruled. A big fat fire dragon grabbing a huge boulder out of nowhere to smash it with its face is one of the most extremely badass things Charizard ever did.

It shall be missed.
Agreed. As a smash game move, Rock Smash ruled (especially in Sm4sh with that sweet super armor) but i agree with D Dossa , from a Pokemon game's point of view it's a crappy choice.

It's not like the Pokemon games lack in choices of moves for Charizard. To name a few: Fire Spin, Fire Fang, Overheat, Fire Blast (i know he uses it while in Mega Charizard form) even Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw instead .....

On the other hand, Flare Blitz is not a bad choice from a Pokemon point of view but from a Smash's i find it horrible. This move is so annoying both to play against and to use (no move is more a guaranteed SD from center stage, it must be use in very specific manner or else you die). Sorry if i'm pissed about this damn Flare Blitz but i had my dose of people 'spamming' this move in For Glory matchups making those matches very uninteresting.

But also you can attribute these kind of issues to pretty much every Pokemon n Smash.
Mewtwo and Pikachu are not too bad in that regard.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I always thought Charizard had great representation in smash. I mean yeah the moves chosen are weird from a pokemon perspective, but they are great for showcasing Charizard's strength and endurance. I mean really who cares what moves they chose from Charizard's pool when not ever kid playing pokemon is building the perfect IV/EV Charizard. Most kids are going to spread out one HM to each pokemon and then fill the rest of the moves with the coolest moves they can get (which actually shows in Brawl's interaction of Pokemon Trainer)

Also just a note but who's to say Charizard uses his mouth for all his fire moves. Maybe his bair is a way in which a Charizard would use Ember. What's really important is referencing Charizard's character in his moves, which I believe Sakurai focused on and succeeded in.

Top Bottom