• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Videos Thread

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
Postings of videos to help show how to play the only remaining character from Brawl's Pokemon Trainer.

Speaking of Pokemon Trainer, Sakarai said that no tethering would translate over to the new Smash, yet in this video here, at the 2:39/2:40 mark Zero Suit Samus uses a tether to get back to the stage. If this happened, they why was Ivysaur cut? Ivy would have been a better character than Dr. Mario (judging by what was seen for the gameplay of Dr. Mario who plays almost like a Mario clone from Brawl).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3okJlHq_ZHI

Here are some other 3DS Charizard videos.

Charizard vs. Ganondorf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpJ2ggM5K_I

Charizard vs. Mario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oky2fA3lpQs

Charizard moves (no "airs" moves shown though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0gfhp-7_Uc

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
My matches
Third match onward

Other vids
Got another one for fellow Zards. If I find anything else for future reference, I'll update this post.

Bwett vs. UTDZac, I believe.

Kudemo (Charizard/DDD/Sheik) vs GimR (ROB)

Shofu playing Zard in For Glory.

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Got another one for fellow Zards. If I find anything else for future reference, I'll update this post.
Damn. That is some pretty sweet play. Charizard's grab game and aerials are looking strong. So many of his moves are noticeably faster and less laggy, like dash attack, but you have to watch the ones which do have cooldown. Flare Blitz looks great, Rock Smash and Flamethrower still has decent utility in the right situations, and Fly looks like it goes higher quicker. I'm really feeling Zard in this game, looks like he has some serious potential. That weight, power, grab and air game is a formidable combination.

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
thanks for updating LordShade. It was a good match against a fast character like ZSS, which has been a problem in Brawl for PT players, unless you have a good Ivysaur to fight her with mainly. (at least for me)

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I would love to see more matches like the ones posted. These are really great. Charizard will be one of my most played characters. Thank you for posting these so far.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Ah, finally! Charizard has been neglected by most. I no longer feel deprived.

Mithrilangel

Smash Rookie
Someone recorded the videos of mew2king using charizard on shofu's stream?
Honestly those were the best Charizard plays I have seen so far in 3ds (charizard vods are rare). I got lucky and mew2king noticed my question on another stream chat. He told me in his opinion Charizard is neither great nor bad. He named some of his moves that he thinks are great; I can't remember exactly but I think they were fair, nair, side-special. But it seems he won't use him because he played sonic, Iggy/ludwig constantly while thinking about a main other than shiek. Such a shame..

Anyway
Here is the past broadcast of shofu where mew2king played some charizard:
twitch.tv/shofu/b/568991243
I think mew2king starts playing charizard around 03:47:00. He sometimes switches characters but picks charizard multiple times until he leaves. Oh also shofu lends mew2king his DS or something because he plays under shofu nickname. Also first few games are not that great :D.

Last edited:

Kaioken

Smash Rookie
NNID
IIKAIOKENII
In my opinion this is probably the best Charizard i have seen in Smash 4. The times he played Charizard are from 53:00 to 01:39:00 and 03:28:00 to 04:07:00. He plays for a long time to so you get to see a lot of footage.

http://www.twitch.tv/dentissbb/b/571230392

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Pretty great gameplay in these videos! Looks like Nair, Flare Blitz, and throws are going to be our bread and butter. Lots of powerful punishing moves available, and Flamethrower is a great disruptive move. I feel like Fly is improved but Zard's jumps are still disappointing.

Kaioken

Smash Rookie
NNID
IIKAIOKENII
Pretty great gameplay in these videos! Looks like Nair, Flare Blitz, and throws are going to be our bread and butter. Lots of powerful punishing moves available, and Flamethrower is a great disruptive move. I feel like Fly is improved but Zard's jumps are still disappointing.
Rock Smash also looks like a great option to use when getting back on stage as it pretty much beats out anything with it's super armour. Not to mention when sweet spotted does 30%!!

Whookie

Smash Rookie
I found the Charizard videos (Trela) to be really exciting so I decided to make some webms of things that caught my fancy. I honestly thought Charizard would be sluggish and boring at first but I'm glad I was wrong. Watching those matches made me really hyped to play as him. I'd post a proper link but apparently, you need 10 posts to link something so yeah.

Rock Smash super armor
webmup.com/N9hQH/

Back air at 47% up top
webmup.com/wTARM/

Flare Blitz interaction with enemy attacks
webmup.com/rOmGh/
We can see Flare Blitz eating through Mario's fireball and Charizard getting the damage (15% damage total with the recoil) and then Charizard (mid flare blitz) getting hit by Mario's aerial but still completing the Flare Blitz animation and only falling down after. I suppose the times Charizard gets knocked out of Flare Blitz depends on the distance he's already traveled since I see him getting hit out of it by projectiles on other occasions. He also flew through Toon Link's boomerang on another occasion.
Weird Flare Blitz
webmup.com/4z39m/
Another thing I saw is that if you Flare Blitz really close to the opponent and the opponent goes towards you and manages to get on top of you just as you fly off, the enemy gets hit for only a small amount of damage (like 4%) while you take the full 9% recoil. I suppose it's because the enemy gets treated as being "behind" you at the time of the explosion (Yoshi and Charizard flew back in the same direction) and only got hit by the collateral damage instead of straight-up contact even though Yoshi's the only thing you can make contact with in the first place.
Rock Smash counter and Meteor finish
webmup.com/MVYT4/

Earthquake
webmup.com/pjzlQ/

Down air vs Bowser's Up + B
webmup.com/XZys5/

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
Great postings of the Denti video. Enjoyed those segments. One thing comes to mind to ask, can you not do more than one Flare Blitz in succession? I recall from playing as Pikachu you could Skullbash as many times as you wished off stage, yet in the latest video segments, Flare Blitz was only used once and then he had to try to hop and up b back. Seemed odd as the move press is the same as Skull Bash. Was the player simply not reusing it? It would seem that you could but I don't know.

Another thing too, seems it will be known for Charizard players that spamming Flare Blitz is a common thing much like when Brawl came out, folks said Charizard players were Rocksmashing to death in matches. We simply can not be labeled again. Lots of laughs on that one.

EDIT: I wonder what happened to players short hopping. I am not seeing the sh that were done in Brawl. Charizard staple was short hop into rock smash. Or even sh into Forward air. I do miss the wind blow back from the Brawl Forward Air, but the new one is very good, but why are people not trying to link the slashing in a continued sh?

EDIT 2: I noticed in the versus Ike play, good thing that Charizard player doesn't really main that character, because you don't allow Ike to set you up for those block and sword blow back attacks like that. You had to use lots of flame to keep him back off you. Ikes will push getting close on Charizard. I used to mainly let Ivysaur deal with Ikes.

Last edited:

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
I'm not pro or anything, but here is a wifi game I played online today. Really liking Charizard this gen :)

Last edited:

Whookie

Smash Rookie
I was wondering the same thing as Smaugfan. Watching those videos, I was wondering why people don't Flare Blitz back to the stage after they accidentally Flare Blitz off the stage. I then thought it wasn't possible so they don't do it. Finally got my copy and I'm happy to find out that if you Flare Blitz off the stage accidentally, you can still jump twice, FB to the side of some stages and then up+B to grab the ledge.

For example, in Denti's video (Mushroom kingdom FD mode against Toon Link), Charizard accidentally Flare Blitzed off the stage, jumped twice and then up+B but missed the ledge so he died. I tried doing it from the location he died and managed to get back on the ledge because of the extra flare blitz after 2 jumps. Sure you take 4% + 9% recoil but at least you're not dead.

I also tried "accidentally" Flare Blitzing off the stage while teetering off the edge of Mushroom Kingdom and found out you die because you reach the border of the stage due to how far FB brings you. FB really travels damn far.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Just as a head's up: I played abit of Zard yesterday in For Glory mode and, since I'm making it a habit to save replays, I'm also recording/uploading said matches. Won't be the best quality(Sorry), but expect to see footage of this ScrubZard in my first post. :p

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
Just as a head's up: I played abit of Zard yesterday in For Glory mode and, since I'm making it a habit to save replays, I'm also recording/uploading said matches. Won't be the best quality(Sorry), but expect to see footage of this ScrubZard in my first post. :p
I did the same as well. I'm going to be uploading most my replays to youtube then posting the best ones here. Looking forward to your content :)

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
I did the same as well. I'm going to be uploading most my replays to youtube then posting the best ones here. Looking forward to your content :)
In my case, because I can do vids longer than 15 minutes, I can put up longer vids on my channel. Oh, and it is up. See my first post up top.

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
In my case, because I can do vids longer than 15 minutes, I can put up longer vids on my channel. Oh, and it is up. See my first post up top.
Sometimes longer isn't always better. I like editing mine to just one match per vid. That way the viewer knows what they are watching without having to scroll through the whole thing.

jinwhite

Smash Rookie
In my opinion this is probably the best Charizard i have seen in Smash 4. The times he played Charizard are from 53:00 to 01:39:00 and 03:28:00 to 04:07:00. He plays for a long time to so you get to see a lot of footage.
first post hello smashboards

that godly charizard replay isn't there anymore D: idk if denti took it down manually or what. kind of a stretch, but did anyone manage to save a copy of that (5+ hour) stream, or at least the good parts where trela shows us the meaning of pokemon master

Thatsa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATSA
3DS FC
3351-5342-1929
I saw a bunch of people talking about the Charizard/Sheik Matchup in a topic below so I figured I would upload a cool replay I had where I feel I played decently against one.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin

I really like charizard in this game! here is one of my favorite replays of my using him!

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
^ Nice! Was that a fast fall you did at :30 thru :33 in the video? You dropped down pretty quick. First video showing Zard doing a FF since the vids started coming out that I have seen.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
Good Charizard play in here, interesting tech.

I'll upload some videos when I get some time.

Top Bottom