• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Set Review

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Too much flare blitz. You were using it multiple times when you weren't even being pressured and racked up too much percent for no reason.

Too much up throw. You missed any possible follow up situations because your preferred throw as up instead of forward, back, or down (all of which allow follow ups).

A little too predictable with double jumps. Almost any time you were above your opponent, you double jumped. It doesn't seem like your opponent caught on, but any skilled player eventually would.

Other than that, I do like your neutral play. Maybe less aggressive than my own, but not too shabby.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Too much flare blitz. You were using it multiple times when you weren't even being pressured and racked up too much percent for no reason.

Too much up throw. You missed any possible follow up situations because your preferred throw as up instead of forward, back, or down (all of which allow follow ups).

A little too predictable with double jumps. Almost any time you were above your opponent, you double jumped. It doesn't seem like your opponent caught on, but any skilled player eventually would.

Other than that, I do like your neutral play. Maybe less aggressive than my own, but not too shabby.
Then that's too many flaws of mine. (This is my perfectionist brain part speaking)

If I change these tactics, I won't trust myself not to miss the ledge and stay vulnerable to offstage deaths or stay combo food for the match.I'm also afraid to deal less damage with other throws because I don't trust his aerials will follow up.

I also thought being aggressive was counter-productive from what I was told. I've played it safe with my mains since then.

But I'll heed this advice regardless. If (because I'm on an indefinite break due to a perfectionist outburst) I pick up this game again, I'll have to post another set for analysis on how I took this advice.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Then that's too many flaws of mine. (This is my perfectionist brain part speaking)

If I change these tactics, I won't trust myself not to miss the ledge and stay vulnerable to offstage deaths or stay combo food for the match.I'm also afraid to deal less damage with other throws because I don't trust his aerials will follow up.

I also thought being aggressive was counter-productive from what I was told. I've played it safe with my mains since then.

But I'll heed this advice regardless. If (because I'm on an indefinite break due to a perfectionist outburst) I pick up this game again, I'll have to post another set for analysis on how I took this advice.
Okay there's a lot to dissect here.

1.) I know it won't matter, but you don't need to be perfectionist in this game. Unless you plan on being #1 in the world, you will always make mistakes.
2.) I've noticed you always talk about wanting to get better. If you want to get better, you will at times need to change your playstyle. This game is founded on mix-ups.
3.) Charizard has a super-armor up-b and an extra jump, you don't need to worry about missing the ledge. Just make sure you don't burn your resources and you'll be fine.
4.) Off of throws, almost nothing is true for 'Zard, but having a 50% chance of more damage and more pressure is always better than a 100% chance of less damage. This goes double since you're staling Charizard's main kill throw.
5.) Being aggressive is never inherently bad. Of course there's always a time and a place, but I'd say in this game in particular being aggressive is the way to go. Charizard does struggle with frame data and being punished, but he has the movement speed and power to make up for it. Being aggressive causes your opponents to make more mistakes, it's just on you to know when and where to be aggressive.

D

Deleted member

Okay there's a lot to dissect here.

1.) I know it won't matter, but you don't need to be perfectionist in this game. Unless you plan on being #1 in the world, you will always make mistakes.
2.) I've noticed you always talk about wanting to get better. If you want to get better, you will at times need to change your playstyle. This game is founded on mix-ups.
3.) Charizard has a super-armor up-b and an extra jump, you don't need to worry about missing the ledge. Just make sure you don't burn your resources and you'll be fine.
4.) Off of throws, almost nothing is true for 'Zard, but having a 50% chance of more damage and more pressure is always better than a 100% chance of less damage. This goes double since you're staling Charizard's main kill throw.
5.) Being aggressive is never inherently bad. Of course there's always a time and a place, but I'd say in this game in particular being aggressive is the way to go. Charizard does struggle with frame data and being punished, but he has the movement speed and power to make up for it. Being aggressive causes your opponents to make more mistakes, it's just on you to know when and where to be aggressive.
1) It seems like I make many consistent and idiotic mistakes. Either way, I can't bring myself past them because I get so tilted by one-sided MUs. (trolling Isabelles are what made me throw in the towel.) Maybe if I quit quickplay...
2) I try to mix-up. I forgot move decay was a thing/important.
3) I'm aware of these two things; I use them to recover from under the ledge. (It even saved me from a charged Waft that should've killed me lol) Flare Blitz is a panic tool of mine if I think I'll get gimped or edgeguarded.
4) Again, I forgot about decay. And here, it seems I take Charizard's movement speed for granted, as I almost never take advantage of it.
5) So I know that now, but what about playing it safe? How would one optimally do that? I tend to forget that roll decay is a thing now.

But yeah, despite putting emphasis on "quick", quickplay might not be for me. Maybe I should stick to Anther's Ladder, etc. I have no interest in locals or above, so AL could possibly benefit me. Either way, I still want to have fun with this game, and quickplay isn't doing it. And of course, I'll continue to lab these skills and tactics I learn from advice/pros/etc. in Training.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Mixing up tactics is not just to avoid decay. A fighting game match is really like a sequence of rock-paper-scissors matches except that there are more than 3 options and the punishment for losing and the reward winning depends on the particular options that you and your opponent choose. So how would you win a sequence of RPS matches if you ever only choose the same option?

In each situation you should be aware of the opponent's options, your options, and the reward or punishment that you would get from each combination consisting of one of your options with one of your opponent's. Every option that you take can be countered by your opponent. There is no perfect playing except playing in such a way that the opponent could have countered you but did not. Like picking paper when the opponent picks rock. In that case he could have beaten you with scissors but he did not.

D

Deleted member

You know, after another few matches and people talking **** about him, I feel kinda bad for wanting to take Charizard seriously. It's like some characters are meant to be avoided.

Top Bottom