• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Matchup Discussion - Ryu

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
IMO, Charziard versus Ryu is heavily in Ryu's favor. As a heavy, Zard is combo food and has a hard time escaping Ryu's walking up tilt, though that should be obvious. While Chard has multi hits, they can usually all be avoided, and focus also lets you break out of some throw combos. Hadoukens are cancelled out by fire, but Ryu doesn't really need them to approach you--for that matter, Ryu doesn't need to really approach you at all. So, that means, don't approach Ryu. Stall and eventually make him come to you, then keep him out of close quarters so you don't get comboed to death, and force him to commit to something you can punish.

A skilled Zard has nothing that can really wreck a skilled Ryu, and even though multi-hits can scare a Ryu into not using focus at all, Ryu sans focus is still very hard for a Zard to deal with.

...At least, that's my opinion. I'm not a Zard main.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As a Zard main...

Stalling is the last thing you want to do.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Speaking as a Zard and Ryu Main

Ryu's weakness is good zoning. Use lots of flamethrower, dtilts, spaced fairs, anti air usmashes, and stuff all of his approaches, and kill him before he gets too much rage.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've played this MU all of once and a few times in friendlies at a smash fest.

It's annoying because I can't play like I want to and gotta be even more careful because he can kill Zard sub 100 easily.

IRyu doesn't need to really approach you at all. So, that means, don't approach Ryu.
Hadoken isn't going to make Zard against and nothing Zard has can force it either. Neither one can force it outside of a % lead.

Zard is combo bait, Ryu has a tricker time landing in this MU and could be exploited off stage...but I'm guessing on a lot of this, I really don't know much just like the Brawler discussion.

I'd be guessing at best with this one.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
After enough tine has passed.

Yeah, I think zoning Ryu is a good way to beat him.

Use your superior range.

Top Bottom