• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Matchup Discussion - Peach

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
This is a pretty bad matchup, you lose neutral pretty hard. All your best spacing options are grounded, she floats right over all of that. Her aerials are all insanely safe on shield, and she does tons of damage on her combos while still having really good KO power. Turnips are a bit of a pain and can be used to extend combos. She is also incredibly difficult to gimp. You have to abuse her floatiness when you get her in bad positions and hopefully live long enough on stocks to get a good rage kill off one read. Overall, you have to get a couple of good outplays to take a game off a strong Peach. Naturally, that indicates is a disadvantage for Charizard.

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
This MU is really really hard for 'zard.

Steeler covered pretty much all I wanted to say on the matchup already, but it is insanely difficult.

Turnips keep him out pretty bad and he's big and easy to combo. He's one of Peaches easiest matchups and anyone that knows it can rock your socks hard. The best piece of advice would be to be good at reading and avoid shield pressure at all costs, also always recover low and abuse invincibility of dragon rush to break shield pressure, peach isn't super fast and it sometimes works. Also peach is light, so dragon rush can be a good mixup if not expected and can kill surprisingly early. Just watch out for Fair, if peach is in the air, and hits you with a turnip, you'll most likely get hit with it, and it kills heavies at about 120%

Also if you're feeling gutsy, you can dragon rush off the edge and try for an early kill.

At least Zard is immune to the infinite. =/

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I think this is relatively even as long as you aren't eating fairs all game.

This is a pretty bad matchup, you lose neutral pretty hard. All your best spacing options are grounded, she floats right over all of that. Her aerials are all insanely safe on shield, and she does tons of damage on her combos while still having really good KO power. Turnips are a bit of a pain and can be used to extend combos. She is also incredibly difficult to gimp. You have to abuse her floatiness when you get her in bad positions and hopefully live long enough on stocks to get a good rage kill off one read. Overall, you have to get a couple of good outplays to take a game off a strong Peach. Naturally, that indicates is a disadvantage for Charizard.
If Peach tries to aircamp you just use uair. She can't beat uair. Zard can also fsmash Peach as she uspecials to the ledge, bear in mind, so she's not totally ungimpable. Dtilt and jabs are also really good if Zard can keep her on the ground. I think neutral is pretty even. I don't see how Zard loses it so badly.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Peach is safe as hell on shield and Charizard isn't. That is how she wins neutral.

Also uair is slow, especially if you have to jump from the ground to do it.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Peach is safe as hell on shield and Charizard isn't. That is how she wins neutral.

Also uair is slow, especially if you have to jump from the ground to do it.
Then that means that Peach can't aircamp you because she has to airdodge. Then that means all of your grounded spacing tools come back into play which really helps in the MU. They aren't as safe as Peach is on shield but it makes neutral more manageable. Neutral is certainly not even but it's not terrible either.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
This is a pretty bad matchup, you lose neutral pretty hard. All your best spacing options are grounded, she floats right over all of that. Her aerials are all insanely safe on shield...
Does that mean that Charizard would do best on platform stages against Peach, like Battlefield? Peach relies a lot on aerial maneuvering to avoid attacks, so I'd at least hope platforms could work to our favor. Bombchu Link Bombchu Link

Peach is an oddball character who I haven't played many matches against, but the ones I do find are frightening. o_o

Last edited:

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
I personally dislike battlefield because the two side platforms block alot of turnips from the air.

It can be gotten around pretty well though because peach can float at any height so other then that it's not an issue.

Charizard is really slow and peach has safe on shield kill moves and great shield pressure, this matchup is one of peaches easiest imao. =/

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Like, if you don't swat her away, she is going to get on your shield and eff you up

obviously you can outplay her and you have moves to protect you (fair, usmash, utilt) but your window for using these moves is tight and all of these moves are unsafe. keep in mind really good peaches will float cancel to bait whiffed moves and can just throw turnips at you when you try to hit her away. i used to win this matchup against the local peach, but as he has been improving, the matchup has become much more difficult. you can still win but it's more her matchup to lose than it is you being able to force mistakes... zard just has too much commitment + mediocre mobility and really bad vulnerability when getting comboed/pressured

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't think it is that bad, but part of it me me playing Peach and on other games.

She is slow when just floating, what makes her faster is mixing her run with her float. She is fast and has great shield pressure but her range outside of her fair isn't the best. Her Fsmash reaches pretty good though.

Be careful of she is aiming for a shield poke. Something like, dair>nair>Dsmash. What we do have is if she gets gutsy and predictable is a super armor out of shield option with up B. And she dies early.

Get stages with platforms, we want to be able to use our better ground options against her when she uses her really good air moves.

yourfreakyneighbourh

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1993-9192-3110
This matchup is horrendous for Charizard. All of Peach's moves are safe as hell with little space to punish. I'd just pray that they screw up and die to an early blitz or Fsmash.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
I actually agree with charizardbro here. As long as you're not letting yourself get faired to death the matchup is even. Punish her being in the air with moves like uair or tipper nair, and if she's on ground then you can use the ground spacing options that you have.

Top Bottom