• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard, Ivisaur, or squirtle

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
This has been done before, and it's pretty universal that most everyone plans to use all three best we can (Its Pokemon Trainer for a reason...)

Not that I don't think people COULD use only one.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
sigh.... *facepalm*

You CANNOT main 1 of the 3... You need to learn how to play effectively with ALL three.
Thats not 100% true, namely in non-competitive play (2 min timed matches or most non-tourney regulation rule stock matches). However, I do agree that if you want to play him in a competitive match, it is absolutly a REQUIRMENT to master all three.

Helios42

Smash Cadet
I do think they're all awsome. And, it's just about impossible to main just one, even in a two minute match. How I understand it, two minutes til fatigue is if you don't attack, attacks deduct further from that. However, it is completly possible to mainly use just one, you just can't only use it. But, then again, I think that is just wasting some of pt's potential, the fact that you can take advantage of 3 characters in one.
On a side note, I like Ivysaur the best, because it get's so little love otherwise, its either bulbasaur or venasaur. Also, I think I really like the range and bullet seed. But, of course, I'm so gonna use them all.

Kami

Smash Cadet
I always start with Ivysaur, if that's what you mean by "main".

locke117

Smash Rookie
i will do as best as i can with all three but charizard will be my favourite

Helios42

Smash Cadet
I really like this thread. It shows just how many things are possible to do w/ pokemon trainer. You can main pt, or you can main MAINLY one. One of the cool things is, there isn't one pokemon that's getting mained more, they're all fairly equal. I like that. That's the big picture:bee::laugh:

Minipolce

Smash Rookie
Squirtle looks like he'll be a perfect suit for mindgames and killing just about anyone. However, Ivysaur will be the balanced damage dealer and I can play defensively with him. Charizard is mainly for knockback and damage but I can't see him being used against people like Marth or Fox unless their damage is high. Therefore, my conclusion is that I will have to use all three regardless of which is my favorite.

T-major

Smash Champion
I'll use them all, when I do in fact play as him.

I'll probably use Charizard the most though. his smashes are powerful, and his recovery is good. I'll use Squirtle for air combat though, since he looks totally ninja. and Ivysuar... well, bullet seed looks useful...

squarez

Smash Apprentice
I just played about 5 hours of smash with pokemon trainer, and I have to say im leaning towards ivysaur, very sturdy, BAIR is awesome and up smash is just a homewrecker. Charizard is a close second, and to me squirtle is just too light and doesnt do enough dmg/knockback to warrant use.

Kami

Smash Cadet
I've been maining PT for the past two weeks or so, and let me tell you, Squirtle is nowhere near as good as everyone thinks he is. It's ALL about maining Ivysaur to rack up damage with throws and a attacks and finishing with a sweet spotted rock smash, Fair or Fsmash from Charizard if you don't kill them before Ivysaur runs out of stamina. Razor Leaf is a decent projectile, but your game is NOT from far away, it's being right outside of their attacks but right within yours so you can abuse his lethal grab-smash and grab-tilt combos.

Squirtle is alright, but he's too slow with his smashes, his B attacks suck, and the rest of his attacks simply aren't as good as Ivysaur's and Charizard's.

And please, it pains me to see people use the Japanese names when they don't speak a word of it, so stop showing off that you know their names. Everyone can google them. I grew up in Japan when red and green came out, and even I don't really say Fushigisou or Lizardon all that much.

Crazy Hobo

Smash Cadet
I'm probably gonna do Squirtle the most. After the first stock I'll switch to Ivy to rack up some damage and let Squirtles fatigue go down some before I switch back. I really hate heavy characters so I'm gonna avoid using Charizard.

Helios42

Smash Cadet
Personally, I'm happy there is fatigue. Otherwise, you'd get a lot of people that just mained one. With fatigue, players are forced to play as at least two.

As to above, charzard defies some classic heavyweight norms, so he's fairly different. First off, he has excellent recovory. That combined with being heavy makes him excedingly durable. Also, from what I've seen of him, he isn't very slow. Granted I don't have the game, but I've seen him in action. I recomend at least trying him out. Finally, how could you NOT want to play as a flying, fire breathing lizard. Charzard is just sooooo cool.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Maining all three. That's the optimal way to play PT, in my eyes.

...Still, I do favor Ivysaur. I'll TRY to main all three, at least.

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
I'd use ivy, then char, then squirt. Ivy for ranking up damage, and if opponent is off stage and damage is 125+, I'd change to char for the final blows. If char dies afterwards, play as squirt for 15-20 seconds then change, but if beforehand... i hope get lucky with squirt for 30-45 seconds then change.

Silver Flame

Smash Ace
I plan to use Pokemon Trainer. It seems that squirtle is good for racking up damage and maybe a kill. Ivysaur looks good with nice range and projectiles, I laugh at anyone who tries to approch Ivysaur from above. Charizard also looks good with suprizing speed and lots of power. His weight helps him survive and he has good recovery.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
Aren't you supposed to use all three, or at least two? You can't just stick with one because of the Stamina...
Though I can't imagine playing anyone who wouldn't want to take advantage of using three movesets (even though I hear that Squirtle's sucks a little), starting off with Ivysaur sounds best. Long range with Razor Leaf then mess them up up-close. Charizard could usually do the kill, if I don't care about mind-gaming. Since he's heavy, he could make up for some damage taken by Ivysaur. His recovery is really good for keeping him in. Squirtle looks good for evasive action, while Ivysaur and Charizard are healing. Trying to rack up with Squirtle sounds hard since Water Gun doesn't do any damage, so it could be risky...
D***it, now I'm pissed again 'cause I don't have Brawl :mad:
And please, it pains me to see people use the Japanese names when they don't speak a word of it, so stop showing off that you know their names. Everyone can google them. I grew up in Japan when red and green came out, and even I don't really say Fushigisou or Lizardon all that much.
Who's saying the Japanese names?
The only time I ever want to say the names in Japanese are when I play DP 'cause I don't really like the names in English.

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
squirtle does not suck; its all about personal playstyles;
some people play better with charizard, some with ivy, and some with squirtle.
you just have to learn how to work all three into your playstyle.

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
My favorite of the three is Charizard, but I will use the testudine to rack up points and use Charizard to go in for the kill if possible.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I'll be using ivisaur and charizard mostly i think and then switch to squirtle for his speed and KO power....i like his Upsmash very much....just looks awesome to me.

infernovia

Smash Ace
The Ivysaur charizard combo really does seem to be the best way to go about it. Ivysaur is good enough for the first KO, but if its taking heavy damage, you only need to switch once (which you would have to anyway due to stamina) and you get a really nice recovery.

That said, there is something about starting with Charizard. It really depends on squirtle's fair/bair KO ability though. If its as good as it has been hyped to be, then it would be a very interesting pick.

Top Bottom