• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard: Good or Bad?

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
U-Throw does not combo into flare blitz and neither do any of charizard's other throws. You're confused because Flare Blitz is a multi-hit move, it hits twice on its own so you think the combo is "up throw to flare blitz" -- it's just flare blitz itself.

NEVER MIND.

Flare Blitz true combos out of up throw at mid percents! You have to buffer the jump during the throw and roll the stick to do the Flare Blitz really early.

You can't DI it either.

This isn't really a big deal, since it only kills right at the ledge and is impossible after like 45%. Not sure it's worth adding 10% damage to yourself honestly, but it's cool and could help some situational kills... but I feel like you would usually have better options.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Well, you will do like 10% more damage than a dthrow combo would, so in that situation you are actually net the same percent advantage (since you take 10% for it). If you have the grab at the ledge or especially land on a platform I say go for it because it can KO. High platforms NEAR the ledge (Duck Hunt, Town and City) should be especially likely to KO... Probably worth learning the tech and the percents. I assume with even a small amount of rage the combo will be harder to pull off - the percent range will definitely go lower but it may shrink or even not be possible at max rage. Just speculation. I'll lab it after a tourney this weekend.

I messed with it a bit, I don't think it works if they DI towards or down and away. Towards you get a free uair or Fly if you react to it. Down and away prob nets nothing. But if you get it on a Town and City platform, I was legit KOing Bayonetta at mid 30s pre-grab LOL. Worth learning just in case. Not very difficult, timing only took me a few minutes to nail down.

Last edited:

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
I will definitely try this ^ I've started playing Charizard casually and pretty much spam his Nair because it's so fun to use

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
U-Throw does not combo into flare blitz and neither do any of charizard's other throws. You're confused because Flare Blitz is a multi-hit move, it hits twice on its own so you think the combo is "up throw to flare blitz" -- it's just flare blitz itself.

NEVER MIND.

Flare Blitz true combos out of up throw at mid percents! You have to buffer the jump during the throw and roll the stick to do the Flare Blitz really early.

You can't DI it either.

This isn't really a big deal, since it only kills right at the ledge and is impossible after like 45%. Not sure it's worth adding 10% damage to yourself honestly, but it's cool and could help some situational kills... but I feel like you would usually have better options.
Training mode is wrong it isn't true, test it against a friend it and they will still be able to air dodge. I thought it worked on Marth at 40% after testing all DI but my friend can still get out of it.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Honestly I'd just buffer a turnaround bair, potentially as an air dodge read since that move is crazy. I got it to ttue combo at early mid percents in training so at the least it's a 50/50, seemed to stop in kill percent though and that's without di.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
If you trap someone on the Smashville floating platform, bair is always at kill percent. B) I killed a Samus at 45% with it once... I had about 100% rage.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
I feel like it's hard for us to turn around to use it in neutral without getting punished before we can throw it out.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Bair would be much easier to use in neutral if zard didn't have such a long jumpsquat, thanks to it sh bair has almost the same startup as f-smash. Still i'm really liking sh fastfall bair as a punish, its rather safe on shield and hits pretty hard. kinda reminds me of MK's f-smash.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Using it more makes it less awkward now that I do it more in practice, but it will still take a bit for me to implement it better. I do love it a lot against characters who keep throwing out moves in neutral while jumping.

Top Bottom