• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charge shot and setups

Savage1

Smash Rookie
Since the charge shot is one of Samus' best moves, I figured why not make a thread about it.

The thread will cover three basic subjects that I thought of, but you can add whatever else you feel is relevant:
-When to fire charge shots
-When to charge
-When to fire non-fully charged shots (anywhere between non-charged and barely not fully charged)

Some good setups:
-Since bombs explode on contact, you could trick a player into walking into one and fire when they're stunned
-If you do any damage to their shields and then fire a fully charged shot at their shield, it will either break their shield or shield poke them

When to charge:
-when your opponent is away and you don't feel like rushing them
-In the corner
-Just jumping and charging
-Jumping below the stage and charging

Let me know what other strategies you guys have as well as other thoughts on the charge shot.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Using the soft missile is a good setup when they're landing. If they get hit then the charge shot is guaranteed. If they airdodge down or neutral airdodge then the charge shot is guaranteed. If they airdodge up then it's a miss.

Argent_Damukune

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2911-8027-6127
Now that Samus/D. Samus can charge in the air, she can do wave bouncing (something she never could do in the previous official Smash installments).
And with the changes to the shield mechanics (perfect shielding to parrying), her NB is less punishable to a degree.

At high percentage, a non-charged NB will have enough stun for Samus/Dark Samus to go in and connect a grab that may lead to a throw kill.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
Homing missile just prior to full charge shot is helpful. Always, always do this setup before firing your charge shot at Ness or Lucas. It throws them off pretty easily and gives you an easy kill before they catch on.

I also like to use the full charge shot to interrupt a string of attacks against me. When there's just enough time to blast one out and turn the tables on them it's very effective.

I need to get used to doing the reverse shot. Lots of potential for mind games with that.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Power Missile into a fully charged shot feels hilariously good most of the time. Most players can either only jump over both, which is safe for you/you don't get punished, or they throw up a shield. If they shield it, that combination literally just breaks full shields. Often you just fully charge a smash attack and take a stock after that. Sometimes, they block the missile but eat the charge shot, or vice versa. It's really satisfying and really safe.

Also, just like in the last game, double jumping and letting off a fully charged shot when you l and - for whatever reason - seems to work most of the time. I think when an opponent sees you double jump, they assume a landing aerial is coming, or something? I don't know, but people typically feel they have an easy dash attack during your landing off double jump, and then they just eat a charge shot. Works way more often than it should, but it's super consistent for whatever reason (people are psychologically inclined to attack double jumps? lol?)

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
I've had a lot of fun success with pretending to run away and then pulling out a reverse charge shot if they take the bait and chase after me.

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
I have a question: what can you do with Breverses and wavelanding? I'm sure that many mixups will be found, and maybe it is an useful option in neutral

Argent_Damukune

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2911-8027-6127
I have a question: what can you do with Breverses and wavelanding? I'm sure that many mixups will be found, and maybe it is an useful option in neutral
Yes to both. Though perfect pivots are a thing of the past, Samus/Damus can still B reverse her NB. Also now that Samus/Damus can charge NB in the air, she can also wave bounce. The command is the same as any other fighter who uses this technique (Lucario, Mewtwo, Greninja, etc.) 4 or 6, reset the stick to neutral, NB, then tilt the stick to the opposite direction. <- NB ->.

Argent_Damukune

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2911-8027-6127
Also while we’re in the topic of wavebouncing/wave landing, if there are some people who are struggling to do perfect wave bounces with the stick but don’t want to resort to B-sticking since it’ll limit the C stick only to B moves, there’s an alternative control scheme that I found comfortable using. Set the left shoulder button to Special and keep the C stick to attack. The upside to this is that you won’t have to be super precise with tilting sticks to trigger the wavebounce and you’ll be able to keep your C stick functionality. Apologies if this info’s already popular among the thread. Thought it might be worth putting it in here

Crystanium

Smash Hero
D-throw > full CS

This requires reading your opponent. I've been doing it since SSB4. D-throw doesn't always need to be followed up with f-air or u-air. I don't see any Samus main do this. I probably won't receive credit if it's done in a tournament. I'll just dub it Crystanium Shot, which shares the same initials as Charge Shot.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
A setup that I've been using is laying a bomb as the opponent is recovering from the ledge and then firing the charge shot. If they try to shield the attacks then it leads to a shield break.

Blazekenny

Smash Rookie
A good guaranteed hit is knowing which projectiles does the full charge shot beat. For example, when Ivysaur uses his Razor leaf, the charge shot goes through and ivysaur has some end lag before he can defend himself.

Hanging on the ledge:

Instead of - Drop off > Jump > Fair

You can do - Drop off > Super Missile > Full Charge Shot

Can work against people looking to shield your Fair and punish.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Ledgehop Fair can trip the opponent, and when this happens, I lob a full CS off, and it's an easy 50% damage or so. Alternatively, at low percentages, DTilt into CS works. I think super missile + CS is often reliable too.

Top Bottom