• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you liked unexpectedly

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
:ultcorrin:

I hated Fates. I didn't buy the character in Smash 4 because I'd basically given up the game by that point. But I picked her up on my brother's copy getting ready for Ultimate and... I mean... She's just fun. She makes sense. She has good movement. Her sweetspots are satisfying. Her air game is unconventional but good. I really like her.

She received some notable nerfs in Ultimate, but the game's general changes in movement options and knockback may have actually benefited her overall. I begrudgingly consider her a candidate for my Ultimate main-- even if anyone asking why I play her will doom themselves to a half hour rant on all the things I don't like about Fates.

imthatguyhere

Smash Rookie
:ultkingdedede: and :ultkrool: . I've never enjoyed heavier characters, but these chunky boys are an absolute blast to play. Being able to just troll the edge and suck them off and blast them out if a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member

I shouldn't be surprised that I picked up Mewtwo, considering he has good air game, and a projectile in the form of Shadow Ball.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
:ultpalutena: was one I hated in Smash 4, but I've learned to use projectiles and long-ranged attacks more and found that she's actually really fun to play as.
:ultrobin: I barely touched in the previous iteration of Smash, but I really like his magic based attacks. Like Palutena, I learned to use his projectiles and fell in love.
:ultcorrin: never really interested me last time around, but this time I enjoyed using some of his moves like his side b. He doesn't feel like any of the other Fire Emblem characters despite still using a sword, which makes me love him.
:ultridley: surprised me just because he was the newcomer I was the last excited for moveset wise, but ended up being my favorite. All of his moves exemplify the brutality of him and show how he is the most ruthless and intimidating Nintendo villain. Also he's a heavy character who's not super slow, so that's nice.
:ultgreninja: is way cooler to me than Sheik, with both of them being ninja like. I hardly touched him in Smash 4 but have grown to love him, specifically due to his side b which allows him to vanish for a second and reappear to strike an opponent.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
The three characters I’ve been succeeding with most recently are all characters I didn’t think I’d like competitively much at all.

:ultridley: Although I was mega hyped for him to be in the game, I didn’t think his play style would suit me. However, after a ton of playtime with him, I’m happy to say he’s my new main in Ultimate for the time being. He’s just such a blast to play and it’s so satisfying to land a tail stab into side special.

:ulttoonlink: I definitely cared the least about Tink of the three Links, but he’s surprisingly really fun to play as. He’s a nice balance between the speed of Young Link while still having the launch power in regular Link, probably gonna be a secondary at least going forward.

:ultroy: Found a lot of success with Roy too. I didn’t think I’d find him that much fun despite loving him in smash 4, but I’ve won quite a lot of games with him. I know he’s kinda seen as just as a worse Chrom now, but I honestly prefer Roy’s playstyle a bit more.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:drmario: I like how certain properties of his moveset work differently than Mario's like, how his forward air has great knockback and isn't used for spikes.

:4palutena: I love her play style and I love her design. ♥♥

:4bowserjr:I didn't expect to see him in the clown car, but it makes for a more interesting moveset than the brush.

:4duckhunt:Was the most pleasant surprise for a retro rep for me. I love how Sakurai based their entire moveset from Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Mii Brawler, Palutena, and Isabelle were all randomly added to my list of characters.

I also played a single match as Wario and loved it but more experience is still pending.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played much of him, but I really like the way :ultyounglink: plays. It's weird, because I never was much into Link in previous games, and :ultyounglink: plays fairly similar to Smash 4 Link, but for some reason I find him really enjoyable. Speaking of :ultlink:, I'm super surprised how deadly competent that character is considering they got rid of his hookshot. I've gotten caught sleeping on him a few times and been roundly punished for it.

Mint Tea

Smash Rookie
:ulttoonlink: I've never had interest in any version of link in any smash game since 64 but for some reason toon link clicked for me this time around. I've never been much for zoning characters but toon link is a lot of fun in close combat as well, I am also slowly getting a feel for zoning. His up b has also been a satisfying move when it comes to reading my opponents.

:ultdoc: The Doc was my main back in the melee days but I never fully utilized his pills. I was excited to play him in smash 4 but I was disappointed beyond belief. My hopes were not high for Doc in Ultimate but he's such an exciting and satisfying character to play as. His down b is an incredible kill move and his back throw makes me giggle every time I use it for some reason. Thanks to Toon Link I've finally started using the Docs pills for zoning purposes. Even though his recovery is underwhelming, I think this is the best version of Doctor Mario to date and I cannot wait to use him in competition.

Jcris25

Smash Rookie
What characters did you end up liking unexpectedly? For me it’s King Dedede. I’m not usually a fan of heavies or slow hard hitting tanks. I just them as a little boring personally. King Dedede is a lot of fun for me though. It’s probably his crouch
Robin. Robin is really cool sorcerer character.

cyberNurgle

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
6570-6238-2710
Ganondorf. I like speed over power but once I got that first kill with Warlock Punch. Umf.

Starbuq

Smash Rookie
Samus/Dark Samus. I never touched her in any of the other smash games. My friend plays her, so I took her into training mode to coach him on how to use her, and a week later she's now my second best character.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I thought :ultchrom: would just be ok but he has been so much fun to use. He's probably my third most used character after :ultwario: and :ultdoc:.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
:ultinkling: feel like a solid pick. Have some decent tools and great mobility. Definite potential secondaries.

:ultisabelle: Didn't think I'd give her the time of day but Fishing Rod jank.

:ultpichu: I mean....just look at him:172:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
:ultdarksamus:. I've never played a Metroid game, and never used Samus much in Smash. But for some reason Dark Samus is incredibly fun to play as. I don't even know what it is that makes me like her so much. I'm genuinely considering maining her, something that I would've laughed at the concept of even a week ago.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
:ultfalcon: I never expected an actual racer to be a hidden character. Still pretty fun regardless.

:ulticeclimbers: I wasn't exactly what one would call a fan when Melee happened, though I did know their game existed despite not playing it before. Can't go without them now.

:ultgnw: An odd addition that happened, but I can't not love the fact his moveset is such a history lesson and so creative.

:ultrob: Johnny 5 in game controller form, enough said.

:ultduckhunt: Ridiculously fun, for a character that was seen as the Scrappy of the Nintendo library until that point. Also, that reveal trailer is the most precious thing.

Last edited:

JKincaid

Smash Rookie
:ultvillager: My friends really wanted me to play him last night. So I played him in training for like ten minutes and took him online and absolutely dominated. He's ridiculously fun. When I hit that first tree kill... Ooh baby

Click Klack

Smash Cadet
:ultincineroar:I went from hating him when i first saw him when the sun and moon stuff leaked, 3 years later he's in my top 5 favorite pokemon and my current main in Ultimate.

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
:ultrichter: I've never played a Castlevania game, but now I feel like I gotta change that soonish~he actually overtook Ike as my main in Ultimate (for now).

Unisex

Smash Rookie
Mii Swordsman started as a joke, but hes stupidly fun to play with.

Zwitch

Smash Rookie
I never thought I'd play link so often.
Not my main but I play him alot.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Welp...I guess I can add :ultpalutena: to my list. Been having a lot fun with her recently.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
All the characters on my "just for fun" part of sig. They have just have the right combination of speed, power, and JANK to make them worth it.

Last edited:

Garolymar

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
4129-5499-6687
I'm really liking Toon Link. I dunno why, I usually don't really like the Links because of their multihit Smash attacks. His Forward smash is great his tilts are really nice and a lot of his Aerials can be performed similarly to how I play Olimar in the air.

I also like messing around with Dark Samus too. She still feels clunky but manageable. I thought I'd like Shulk more in this game but eh... he still just feels too stiff for me.

Top Bottom