• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters You Dread Fighting Online - A Thread for Improvement

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Let me start off by saying: this is not a thread to **** on characters or to pick fights with people.

This thread has the sole purpose of improving your performance online with guidance and advice. Tell us your main(s) and which characters you have trouble fighting against. Describe specifically why that character always trips you up. From there, we can give you strategies (based on your main(s)) on how to effectively face off against that character.

For me personally, I have trouble fighting against projectile characters/long-ranged characters. Most notably, Link, Young Link, Toon Link, Mega Man, Simon/Richter. As a Lucas main, my options are rather limited for long ranged attacks. I mean sure I have PK Fire but in the midst of combat that's pretty difficult to line up. PK Freeze and PK Thunder leave me completely vulnerable so they aren't too reliable either. So when I fight characters that have long-ranged attacks, I'm basically at a major disadvantage because my only viable option is to get close to them. But they don't have to get close to me, obviously, which is where I run into my issue. I'll charge one of these characters and a good portion of the time I can expect them to dodge it (most likely by jumping) and using a quick projectile. Or, projectiles will be used at a fast speed to keep me at bay while they are secure in their own section of the stage. I've narrowed down the root of my problem to reflexes. Yeah, some characters are faster than others, but being able to respond to/counter attacks with only a second to think can give players a major advantage in a fight. I'm just not sure how I can go about improving my reflexes.

Anyway, I hope you guys use this thread properly and find the assistance you need to make yourself better players. Every character has good and bad matchups, but sometimes you need to work around these obstacles to claim victory.

shyguywiki

Smash Rookie
I'm a R.O.B. main and I tend to have a lot of difficulty fighting any swordsman, ranging from Cloud to FE to Young Link. It almost seems like their neutral game is too strong for me to combat. Even with R.O.B.'s strong aerial moves and his gyro combos, I can't help but get frustrated whenever I play against one.

This could also very well be due to the rushdown playstyle that I tend to use with R.O.B, but if any of you have any pointers for playing against these swordsmen (and women) it would be greatly appreciated.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm a R.O.B. main and I tend to have a lot of difficulty fighting any swordsman, ranging from Cloud to FE to Young Link. It almost seems like their neutral game is too strong for me to combat. Even with R.O.B.'s strong aerial moves and his gyro combos, I can't help but get frustrated whenever I play against one.

This could also very well be due to the rushdown playstyle that I tend to use with R.O.B, but if any of you have any pointers for playing against these swordsmen (and women) it would be greatly appreciated.
I've never really played R.O.B. super competitively, but I've played him enough to believe I can give you some pointers. With swordsman, a lot of them, as you've most likely observed, are very quick for the most part. Not just movement wise, but also in attacks. And some, like the Links, can also dish out projectiles from a distance.

I think you should utilize a more defensive strategy when you fight swordsman rather than your usual rushdown playstyle. Especially with projectile swordsman, I think you should try to keep your distance and make use of your own projectiles. If they try to rush you down, your long-ranged attacks like neutral B can potentially catch them by surprise while also keeping them at bay. By keeping your distance while also occasionally rushing in for attacks and punishes, you prevent them from quickly dishing out damage with their swords. That will also be their main way of racking up damage. As for their projectiles, always make use of jumping if it's too quick to shield. Sometimes projectiles can be surprising and deal substantial damage, and jumping is a fast reaction and a quick way to dodge.

If you aren't fighting a projectile swordsman, a defensive strategy is still kill. They are at a disadvantage because they have to come to you. Luckily, you have some projectiles that can catch them off guard in rushdown scenarios, leaving them vulnerable to further attacks/combos. Being aggressive and rushing them down will have its disadvantages because most of them are a lot faster than R.O.B., especially most of the FE characters. This is even useful against Shulk, who can randomly become a speed demon and rush you down. R.O.B. isn't quiet suited to receive pressure, so making use of your projectiles is key here, with follow-up attacks as well. You have to ask fast and stay on your toes because they always will be just as fast.

Like I said, I never really played R.O.B. super competitively, but I hope this helps you out in some way!

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Let me start off by saying: this is not a thread to **** on characters or to pick fights with people.

This thread has the sole purpose of improving your performance online with guidance and advice. Tell us your main(s) and which characters you have trouble fighting against. Describe specifically why that character always trips you up. From there, we can give you strategies (based on your main(s)) on how to effectively face off against that character.

For me personally, I have trouble fighting against projectile characters/long-ranged characters. Most notably, Link, Young Link, Toon Link, Mega Man, Simon/Richter. As a Lucas main, my options are rather limited for long ranged attacks. I mean sure I have PK Fire but in the midst of combat that's pretty difficult to line up. PK Freeze and PK Thunder leave me completely vulnerable so they aren't too reliable either. So when I fight characters that have long-ranged attacks, I'm basically at a major disadvantage because my only viable option is to get close to them. But they don't have to get close to me, obviously, which is where I run into my issue. I'll charge one of these characters and a good portion of the time I can expect them to dodge it (most likely by jumping) and using a quick projectile. Or, projectiles will be used at a fast speed to keep me at bay while they are secure in their own section of the stage. I've narrowed down the root of my problem to reflexes. Yeah, some characters are faster than others, but being able to respond to/counter attacks with only a second to think can give players a major advantage in a fight. I'm just not sure how I can go about improving my reflexes.

Anyway, I hope you guys use this thread properly and find the assistance you need to make yourself better players. Every character has good and bad matchups, but sometimes you need to work around these obstacles to claim victory.
Alright I play Ness and not Lucas but I used to have trouble with projectile characters too. First of all absorb everything you can. Second of all it at all possible play on a tri plat stage rather than a flat stage, it gives you more space to work with and move one second avoid as many projectiles as you can, eat what you can, it’s ok to get hit by a couple and slowly move in and once you’re in use your aerial strings and aggro tools (I don’t know if Lucas is as aggro as Ness but it could probably work).

Once they’re off balance and you’re in advantage the match is yours to dictate not there’s and that’s what zoners hate the most and what makes them fall apart. Losing control of the stage and the match. They’re trying to get in your head reverse it

Top Bottom