• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Those people are a vocal minority among the Waluigi fanbase.
Don't generalize, man.
Well that "minority" is making it really hard to like Waluigi.

If I was Sakurai and I saw this spamming my feeds I wouldn't make him an AT or even make him into a regular trophy. There would be no mentioning of him (like he did with Custom Robo in Smash4) at all. Just to give them hope he'll be in it but never actually put him in.

D

Deleted member

Well that "minority" is making it really hard to like Waluigi.

If I was Sakurai and I saw this spamming my feeds I wouldn't make him an AT or even make him into a regular trophy. There would be no mentioning of him (like he did with Custom Robo in Smash4) at all. Just to give them hope he'll be in it but never actually put him in.
That's extremely petty and would only draw more critcism. I'm really glad you're not the one sitting in the director's chair.
Seriously, this isn't even the first time this is happenning.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
That's extremely petty and would only draw more critcism. I'm really glad you're not the one sitting in the director's chair.
Seriously, this isn't even the first time this is happenning.
No its not the first time but it seems far worst this go around. I doubt it would draw that much critcism. He did it with Custom Robo and Golden Sun in Smash 4. Two characters I think are far more unique and interesting than Waluigi.

D

Deleted member

No its not the first time but it seems far worst this go around. I doubt it would draw that much critcism. He did it with Custom Robo and Golden Sun in Smash 4. Two characters I think are far more unique and interesting than Waluigi.
If disconfirming a character drew such criticism, completely removing him from the game entirely just because of a small minority of people who act like toddlers would draw an even larger amount of criticism, for the lack of a better word.
Did you even bother reading what you just wrote?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
If disconfirming a character drew such criticism, completely removing him from the game entirely just because of a small minority of people who act like toddlers would draw an even larger amount of criticism, for the lack of a better word.
Did you even bother reading what you just wrote?
Well clearly you're not reading what I've wrote. Because you're starting to act like one of those "minority" Waluigi fans.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think the main thing to consider is if Sakurai removed anyone from the game entirely out of spite for comments on social media feeds.

That would make Sakurai's social media feeds a cesspool for fake fans (Fans that are actually trolling in pretending to be a fan of a character but actually actively dislike them and/or wants to make the character's fanbase look worse then it actually is.) of characters to try to get characters cut or try to tear down the most popular and/or fanbase splitting requests.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Minecraft's Steve
Shadow the Hedgehog
Doom Guy
Decidueye
SORA
Master Chief

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Shadow. And any post-Genesis era Sonic character for that matter. So Jet, Silver, Cream, Espio blah blah blah insert generic anthropomorphic animal here. Tails and Knuckles (were he not an AT)'are good because they came from the era when Sonic actually meant something instead of being the laughing stock of the gaming world.

Also Dark Pit for being a really boring and unnecessary addition. I mean, you could just play Pit with a black costume. But he's in already so oh well.

Don't care for Sora only because I don't care for Kingdom Hearts, and only because I don't care for Disney anything. I know a lot of KH diehards who rave about him and his game, but I dont get it. Guess I can't judge though because final fantasy 7 is my all time favorite game and I'm smitten with Clouds addition.

Geno. We already have Cloud to represent SE and whether people like it or not, him and even Sora are simply way, way more important to gaming history than Geno. He'd be cool, but he just isn't needed.

Krystal. Mainly because the fanbase makes me very uncomfortable at times. Not everyone of course, just...some of them. I feel like more people want her because of...notorious factors than because they actually like her character and what she brings to the table. she's an AT though anyway.

That said, if any of these characters made it in, I would nonetheless accept it and congratulate the supporters on their victory. Because that's what mature, reasonable people do. And some people could afford to take notes on that sometimes...

D

Deleted member

Well clearly you're not reading what I've wrote. Because you're starting to act like one of those "minority" Waluigi fans.
No, I'm not. I'm trying to tell you that what you're suggesting is the equivalent of punishing the entire class because of a few bad apples, which is unfair. Is it really too much for you to comprehend?
I was not spamming Sakurai with memes or saying that the game sucks because it doesn't have Waluigi in it. I never even brought up my personal views on the character. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me, considering you're not the first person to suggest that.
It seems that whenever I try to argue against bull**** with actual good arguments and common sense, it's seen as "bad behavior". I was even being civil up until this point, but there's a limit to how much bull**** I can handle.
You know what? Fine. Feel free to think that would actually be a good solution to this whole situation. I'm really glad Sakurai is not that petty or self-righteous.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Steve - From a financial standpoint i guess it makes sense to add him, but i just really don't want it.

Octoling - Just another echo

Marx - I guess I'm fine with him, but let's get Bandana Dee first

Rayman - Does anyone really like him? not being rude, I've just never heard anyone say they want him, or even talk about his franchise.

Mario Filler Characters - Pretty Self Explanatory

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
No, I'm not. I'm trying to tell you that what you're suggesting is the equivalent of punishing the entire class because of a few bad apples, which is unfair. Is it really too much for you to comprehend?
I was not spamming Sakurai with memes or saying that the game sucks because it doesn't have Waluigi in it. I never even brought up my personal views on the character. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me, considering you're not the first person to suggest that.
It seems that whenever I try to argue against bull**** with actual good arguments and common sense, it's seen as "bad behavior". I was even being civil up until this point, but there's a limit to how much bull**** I can handle.
You know what? Fine. Feel free to think that would actually be a good solution to this whole situation. I'm really glad Sakurai is not that petty or self-righteous.
Not the first person to suggest that? Geez I wonder why? Maybe its the fact that you're getting all sensitive to someone who disagrees with you. I don't like the Waluigi fanbase and you're a great example why. Instead of being calm and collected you in turn resort to insults and you are certainly not proving to me that the majority of Waluigi fans out there are good sensible people. Don't hate me. Hate the "minority" that's ruining Waluigi's chances. Or at least fix how you deliver your arguments online.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What did Banjo do to you to deserve such disdain? He's a precious backpacking bear that deserves all the love from two stupendously fun platforming games that still hold up to this day and that would translate completely well to Smash Bros. They were money makers for Nintendo 64 and continue to hold up to this day. It's not Banjo's fault Rare was sold to Microsoft and they screwed them up completely!

Also any new Fire Emblem characters that are just blue-haired swordsman/women with counters can kindly go sit in a corner please. I'm more okay with Fire Emblem now that Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon all have equal or more representatives in this game thanks to Sakurai bringing back every single veteran but if they bring in another Fire Emblem character, at least make them unique. I'd rather have three Links than three Marths.
Yeah, when I wrote that I probably wasn't being very sincere. I'd been dealing with a few really toxic Banjo fans on a few other sites at the time and it may have clouded my thoughts a bit. Sorry for any harshness.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Yeah, when I wrote that I probably wasn't being very sincere. I'd been dealing with a few really toxic Banjo fans on a few other sites at the time and it may have clouded my thoughts a bit. Sorry for any harshness.
Awww, yeah that sucks with any fandom, bud. Sorry you had to deal with that! I appreciate it lol and hope I didn't come off as toxic myself

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Awww, yeah that sucks with any fandom, bud. Sorry you had to deal with that! I appreciate it lol and hope I didn't come off as toxic myself
Nah, don't worry about it. It's all good!

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
No matter what Fandom it is there's always gonna be a few Toxic people. xD
Honestly for Banjo, I've never played a Banjo game in my life, so i can't say too much, but he looks like a cool fighter. i won't be bugged if he doesn't make it though.

Last edited:

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
Probably Waluigi. I've never been too fond of him, he's just been a meh character in my eyes but I can see why people are drawn to him. He's funny at times. The problem is that every single Smash video I go on, I have to swim through an ocean of people screaming his name in your face. It doesn't matter - character speculation, trailer analysis, even general news videos made by IGN or Gamexplain, it's the same stuff over and over and over again and it's getting kinda annoying.

The people that are harassing Sakurai are definitely a very very small minority. But I'm seeing Waluigi beggars in every Sma5h video at this point (and a good portion of its comment sections), it's redundant and putting me off the character even more.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Steve from Minecraft.

Any Fortnite's representation.

By the way, most of the people who are harassing Sakurai and spamming about Waluigi don't even really care about him, they just follow the hype. Most of the annoying Waluigi's fans that i know didn't even care about him a few months ago. This is just some toxic hype in my opinion. And as a fan of Waluigi since Mario Kart Double Dash, i hate the reactions of these so called fans. Waluigi was deconfirmed, they just had two things to do: 1. Getting over it.
2. Showing their support to the character by explaining why he really deserves a spot in Smash, not by being disrespectful.

I don't think Sakurai will erase the character from the next Smash though because that would be dumb (you don't fight hate with hate).

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Probably Waluigi. I've never been too fond of him, he's just been a meh character in my eyes but I can see why people are drawn to him. He's funny at times. The problem is that every single Smash video I go on, I have to swim through an ocean of people screaming his name in your face. It doesn't matter - character speculation, trailer analysis, even general news videos made by IGN or Gamexplain, it's the same stuff over and over and over again and it's getting kinda annoying.

The people that are harassing Sakurai are definitely a very very small minority. But I'm seeing Waluigi beggars in every Sma5h video at this point (and a good portion of its comment sections), it's redundant and putting me off the character even more.
Honestly, i kinda just feel he's a joke character, and that's why i like him, but i honestly don't give a heck if he gets in or not.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft Steve
Sans
Any non-video game character

Most of these are pretty self-explanatory. There are some other characters I'm not too crazy about but these ones are active turn-offs even if I'd still buy the game.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Just Geno & Steve and any secondary characters to existing 3rd parties.

Last edited:

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
-Waluigi is perfect as an assist trophy. It's like he was born for the role. I wouldn't want him playable. I probably would have pegged Daisy as another great assist trophy with some Strikers-based attacks, but an Echo she is.

-Bandana Dee is a character I never understood. He's just a generic enemy with an accessory and there are other spear fighters available, like Mipha or Sharena.

-Takamaru just seems like obscurity for the sake of obscurity. He's another character I think is destined to remain an assist trophy.

-I don't want Shovel Knight mainly because Shantae, an indie with more history than most indie characters, should be the groundbreaker for their inclusion. Plus I just have more fun playing Shantae games. Maybe throw him in as a second choice if the demand is really there.

-Decidueye is the first and only Grass Starter I've ever disliked, and its all because of its design. I just don't like it. I'd rather have Sceptile or Serperior if we need a grass starter and Lusamine/Nihelgo if we need Sun & Moon.

-Anything else from Kanto. I'm going to sound like an edgelord or whatever, but Kanto is my least favorite region. It gets more than enough love everywhere already.

-Any more Earthbound characters. Two characters for three games sounds fair. The Final Smash cameos already cover curiousity for how they'd look in 3D.

My picks actually line up pretty well with previously stated ones here, but just in case I've ruffled any feathers I'll list some characters I desperately want in that I think are better off as assists in the long run: Jill from Drill Dozer, Ray MK 3 from Custom Robo, Viridi from Kid Icarus, Gemini Sunrise fom Sakura Wars, Lana from Hyrule Warriors, and Henry Fleming from Codename S.T.E.A.M.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
-Waluigi is perfect as an assist trophy. It's like he was born for the role. I wouldn't want him playable. I probably would have pegged Daisy as another great assist trophy with some Strikers-based attacks, but an Echo she is.

-Bandana Dee is a character I never understood. He's just a generic enemy with an accessory and there are other spear fighters available, like Mipha or Sharena.
I agree with the Waluigi one, but not the Bandana Dee one. The reason i like Bandana Dee is that Unlike other Waddle Dee's he actually fights to help save dream land along Kirby, but yeah, he is just another generic enemy with an accessory xD

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Lanky Kong
Waluigi and Tingle are as far as i would be willing to go for joke characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Kiddy Kong. I would accept any other Kong in Smash, even Candy, but Kiddy's pointless enough that even Nintendo prefers to sneak in references to his big brother Chunky instead of him. Also, it would be preferable to prioritize the more noteworthy/beloved Kongs, not to mention that there are other Kongs that can fill the strong Kong quota well enough.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
What's to get? Golden Sun is a game that's great and people loved and so want the main character in the game. He's also got insane moveset potential.
As for Banjo he's first the face of Rare and second oozes charm. The game was a 3D platformer that was even better than Mario 64. Along with the kooky humor of the game, it's no wonder his appeal has lasted decades after Microsoft forced him to go dark. It's rather unfortunate you didn't care for the game but it's one of the best games on the N64 and Rare is the company that made just about everything worth playing on the 64 so he's also a character so many want to see in. Also he got a cool design and great moveset potential.
lol Banjo and Kazooie is no way better than Super Mario 64. Its subjective. Both games have their own magic and accomplishments.

I agree with the Waluigi one, but not the Bandana Dee one.
At least with Daisy, she has a Smash personality while Waluigi would make Smash feel identical to a Mario spinoff.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
lol Banjo and Kazooie is no way better than Super Mario 64. Its subjective. Both games have their own magic and accomplishments.

At least with Daisy, she has a Smash personality while Waluigi would make Smash feel identical to a Mario spinoff.
I mean true but 64 has aged badly Banjo and Kazooie hasn't aged at all so to me that speaks to a better game

-Takamaru just seems like obscurity for the sake of obscurity. He's another character I think is destined to remain an assist trophy.
Well not really he's actually a fan favorite in Japan which is why he has a good number of references in modern games. Plus his game is super fun if you like NES style games try it out, or if you like quirky adventure titles like Chibi Robo get Captain Rainbow which Takamaru is also in and is one of the best parts of the game.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Characters we don't want? I could write a book filled with names, ha. I'll be brief.

Personally, I feel Fire Emblem is worth three or four characters, tops. We currently have six, including two-and-a-half of the same character. Whereas series like Star Fox, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc. have half of that or even less. I'd much rather attention be given to other series.

On a similar note, there are no Kid Icarus characters that interest me, and I think the series is big enough as is.

As for 3rd Parties, I'm a huge stickler when it comes to them. I prefer one character per company, with three total. With 8-Player Smash, though, I'm more lenient towards seven. With Snake back, we have seven. As likely and as fun as Simon Belmont or Geno would be, I'd much rather them stay away and not bloat the roster.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
I don't exactly got no don't wants tbh, but I do one. And that is Shadow (As an echo fighter). I would much rather see that hedgehog in the game as a semi-clone of Sonic than to see Shadow with 100% of Sonic's moveset with some minor changes.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Any third party that isn't Nintendo exclusive. Bayonetta gets a pass for me as a character that became exclusive. Ultimate is a special case because it's a celebration of Nintendo history, so the ones already in are ok with me for that reason, but I don't want Crash, Spyro, Steve, Master Chief, Joker, etc.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I mean true but 64 has aged badly Banjo and Kazooie hasn't aged at all so to me that speaks to a better game.
The game may didn't age well but it has everything else. The game is like a portal to a different plane of existence.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
The game may didn't age well but it has everything else. The game is like a portal to a different plane of existence.
I do believe that plane is called nostalgia because as someone who didn't grow up on 64 it's not enjoyable. I respect what it did for games but it is hard to play through for me. I do wish I had played the game before it's sequels because then I'd probably like it so much more.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I do believe that plane is called nostalgia because as someone who didn't grow up on 64 it's not enjoyable. I respect what it did for games but it is hard to play through for me. I do wish I had played the game before it's sequels because then I'd probably like it so much more.
Nostalgia is always the victim. Haha

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
[QUOTE="Well not really he's actually a fan favorite in Japan which is why he has a good number of references in modern games. Plus his game is super fun if you like NES style games try it out, or if you like quirky adventure titles like Chibi Robo get Captain Rainbow which Takamaru is also in and is one of the best parts of the game./QUOTE]

Okay, maybe obscurity is the wrong word. It's cool that Takamaru has a fun game and some cameos, but that's still one game and some cameos. That sounds like assist trophy material to me. Ideally, I'd want to see Mysterious Murasame Castle 2 before he gets beyond an assist, especially if Donbe and Hikari get to appear alongside Takamaru in it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom