• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters with untapped potential

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
What characters do you think haven't had the right player and are untapped potential. I personally believe that Charizard and Snake can go super far once the right player picks them up. Granted I know there alot of Snake players but I stll think there is alot that they aren't doing.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
What characters do you think haven't had the right player and are untapped potential. I personally believe that Charizard and Snake can go super far once the right player picks them up. Granted I know there alot of Snake players but I stll think there is alot that they aren't doing.
Like what? Snake's meta exploded from 2014-2016. The sticky is great, dair wobbling, etc.
Zard could go really far.
As for characters i think have potential, ivy, link.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
Like what? Snake's meta exploded from 2014-2016. The sticky is great, dair wobbling, etc.
Zard could go really far.
As for characters i think have potential, ivy, link.
i guess for snake they did push the meta far but i feel like there isn't one snake player who does it all, like every snake player has one or two special tricks

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
uhh, all of them? the current build has been out for less than 2 years lol, and most characters in their current form less than 3 years.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
but there meta has been explored, while they have there new tools the meta for them isn't going to make any major pushes forward

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
but there meta has been explored, while they have there new tools the meta for them isn't going to make any major pushes forward
That's not true at all. Adding a single tool can change the durability or threatening ability of a character in a way that forces the other character to interact with the differently.
Meta is not a single-character concept. Metagame is totally dependent on matchups. There are tons of new matchups that Melee top characters have to deal with in PM. Each one of those is new meta. And even among Melee:Melee matchups, all characters ahve changed subtly, including all of them gaining RARs, b-reversals, actionable ledge jumps, special+airdodge interruptible IASA frames, and sometimes slightly changed normals/throws. Any time one of those things is different for one character, it's different for both characters in the matchup. Marth's dair has less landing lag, now he can tech chase spacies with it. He has RAR, now he can turn around more quickly before jumping offstage for edgeguards. He has b-reverse, and can interrupt fair endlag with with specials, meaning SH fair side-b fair, and SH fair b-reverse/wavebounce side-b fair work. None of that's possible in Melee, and it's all unexplored in PM. That's just for one character, who was barely changed at all outside of the port to the new engine, and it affects all the matchups he's involved in.

JOE!

Smash Hero
That's not true at all. Adding a single tool can change the durability or threatening ability of a character in a way that forces the other character to interact with the differently.
Meta is not a single-character concept. Metagame is totally dependent on matchups. There are tons of new matchups that Melee top characters have to deal with in PM. Each one of those is new meta. And even among Melee:Melee matchups, all characters ahve changed subtly, including all of them gaining RARs, b-reversals, actionable ledge jumps, special+airdodge interruptible IASA frames, and sometimes slightly changed normals/throws. Any time one of those things is different for one character, it's different for both characters in the matchup. Marth's dair has less landing lag, now he can tech chase spacies with it. He has RAR, now he can turn around more quickly before jumping offstage for edgeguards. He has b-reverse, and can interrupt fair endlag with with specials, meaning SH fair side-b fair, and SH fair b-reverse/wavebounce side-b fair work. None of that's possible in Melee, and it's all unexplored in PM. That's just for one character, who was barely changed at all outside of the port to the new engine, and it affects all the matchups he's involved in.
Not to mention new stages / stage lists having a huge impact. Smashville simply didn't exist in Melee, there is a non-transforming Pokemon Stadium, and FD is relatively rare. Etc, etc.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
like i said, just cause they have new tools won't mean that there meta will change a whole lot. So many people are going to be practicing the newer characters because they don't want to play the old ones. This means that they probably won't learn any of the new fixes that they have. I personally believe that the only way that the melee top 8 characters meta will change is you have players who are ride or die players, or extremists like m2k. And even then m2k has gone on to say that most players have a natural flow into pm because of the melee top tiers, and that they are just carrying over their skills, but the only thing they are learning are the new match-ups

Randomman14

Smash Cadet
I'd say the 3 starter pokemon have the potential to go farther. besides them probably wolf and GnW. And I want to say zelda just because shes my main

Randomman14

Smash Cadet
Wolf is top tier
some consider him best in game
Zelda's okay. Din's fire was nerfed, sadly.
Sadly I joined PM after the nerf to Din's but I've been able to hold my own against spacies in tournament without to much trouble. my biggest problem is marth.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Sadly I joined PM after the nerf to Din's but I've been able to hold my own against spacies in tournament without to much trouble. my biggest problem is marth.
Haha yeah, marth is a problem for a LOT of characters. I would recommend just using a lot of Din's fire to outpace him.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I think Falco has lots of potential that has been untapped and Flipp often makes me think that Snake could be pushed farther to be a more threatening character than Wolf even. But then the other times he just totally drops the ball.

Top Bottom