• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters With REAL Potential to Move Up

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Olimar-
It's somewhat the same case as diddy and ZSS, he's not simple to start out with. While he may have a poor recovery, that and his relatively light weight are the only down-sides to using him. The thing I want to point out is that yes, he is great at camping and the pikmin toss is one of the best projectiles in the game but I think people greatly underestimate his close combat. His smashes have good range, his jab comes out quick (and does good damage for a jab), his Utilt is great and can lead into many moves, his Ftilt while not coming out ideally fast does have ok KB and his Dtilt can be chained and lead into aerials. Speaking of which, his aerials are VERY useful, especially when hit with a red or purple. So once Oli players start to implement close combat with long-range into their fighting (like me;)), I can see him rising up.

The only way he'd go down is if the characters below him get used more and begin to be rank higher, but Oli by himself really has the ability to AT LEAST stand his ground or go higher.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Not a lot has been said about him, but marth should be moving on up. I agree with Zamus but as has been pointed out, Diddy's bananas can be used against him.
Olimar *****, no joke he has to move, you say you can gimp him but just getting him off the edge in teh first place is hard, really hard. Aside from that Sonic (had to say it) and mario.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I think that zss will defidently move up she is very agile and fun to play with. I honestly think luigi could move up. I don't see why people don't use him he's got strong and fast aerial moves, strong smashes, and his up-b is beast (lets not forget like 3 recovery moves). I can honestly see him moving up.

D

Deleted member

Not a lot has been said about him, but marth should be moving on up. I agree with Zamus but as has been pointed out, Diddy's bananas can be used against him.
Olimar *****, no joke he has to move, you say you can gimp him but just getting him off the edge in teh first place is hard, really hard. Aside from that Sonic (had to say it) and mario.
then who would be moving down? he's like 6th in the tier list and I don't see anyone above him being worse.

I'd say diddy for top 4, ZSS for high tier and olimar top 8.

Rawnie

Smash Champion
then who would be moving down? he's like 6th in the tier list and I don't see anyone above him being worse.

I'd say diddy for top 4, ZSS for high tier and olimar top 8.
Diddy? Top 4? thats not gonna happen anytime soon. he has potential but not THAT much. i say around the #8 spot

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I think Diddy should move up of course, but it's not just because I main Marth that I think Marth should move up. Marth has potential to beat MK and almost has an even match up with snake. D3 is the only one that gives him huge problems, in my opinion. He has some sort of advantage over the entire cast, and he has dancing blade, the sexiest move in the game. <3

Rawnie

Smash Champion
I think Diddy should move up of course, but it's not just because I main Marth that I think Marth should move up. Marth has potential to beat MK and almost has an even match up with snake. D3 is the only one that gives him huge problems, in my opinion. He has some sort of advantage over the entire cast, and he has dancing blade, the sexiest move in the game. <3
^ This.
This is win.

Count Ramsely

Smash Rookie
i Think if Ganondorf was Modded, He could potentially have Dealier Attacks than he already does...the questions is...what would have actually do? I can imagine him with out his Ganon Punch! XD he would be really cool to see new, but i just wouldnt want to see him using nothing BUT sword attacks, just some. or maybe give him the ability to actually Sheith his swordm at will giving him twice the attack movet! =D that would be a dream come true!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
i Think if Ganondorf was Modded, He could potentially have Dealier Attacks than he already does...the questions is...what would have actually do? I can imagine him with out his Ganon Punch! XD he would be really cool to see new, but i just wouldnt want to see him using nothing BUT sword attacks, just some. or maybe give him the ability to actually Sheith his swordm at will giving him twice the attack movet! =D that would be a dream come true!
This post... it caught my eye... especially the dealier part... Ganon is from Las Vegas?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
why link , i dont see him going up any time soon.
Probably because people figure his projectiles will be utilized more and in different ways but......... meh, he's not fast enough by far and frankly, the projectiles aren't hard to avoid. Then again, he is the 2nd worst so he may move up a little but no, not REAL POTENTIAL
I think that zss will defidently move up she is very agile and fun to play with. I honestly think luigi could move up. I don't see why people don't use him he's got strong and fast aerial moves, strong smashes, and his up-b is beast (lets not forget like 3 recovery moves). I can honestly see him moving up.
YES! Luigi should move up for those reasons. Realistically, I see him moving up 1 or two spaces at least in the the next tier list.
Sonic will move up severely.
oooohh.... no, like link, he has way too many things going against him

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Diddy is ridiculous. But I don't understand. It seems no one has been talking about Marth in this thread. He's got too many advantages over too may characters, and just watch Neo and RoyR play, it defines Marth and why he's so good. I could rant on forever about his strengths.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Diddy is ridiculous. But I don't understand. It seems no one has been talking about Marth in this thread. He's got too many advantages over too may characters, and just watch Neo and RoyR play, it defines Marth and why he's so good. I could rant on forever about his strengths.
Yeah, he's good. I remember how we all thought he was broken before the tiers came out.

Now here are some problems with him:

1. He's a mid-light weight, meaning he's slightly easier to kill than the majority of the cast.

2. He's a swordy, so it's natural he has a lack of range. However, speed CAN negate this.

3. I think his ground game was nerfed. What happened to his pwnsome utilt?

4. His recovery is rather lackluster, if not gimpable.

5. And finally- Marth has a good sweetspot to all of his moves. However, this sweetspot is probably the ONLY dependable way for Marth to deal damage. Sourspotted, his attacks are weaker than Luigi's, almost as low as Diddy's Smashes.

Otherwise, yeah, he's up for raising the bar.

----------

Now, I have a problem with where DK is. No sweat, where he is is fine and dandy, but...

He's under three people which I think DK could easily destroy:

Wario, R.O.B, and of course, Snake.

Wario has one of the best recoveries in the game and a reliable counter with Chomp, as well as being a heavyweight. However, DK is stronger faster, and generally has more range than Wario. Yes, a good Wario can see DK's Smashes coming and can act accordingly. So why do I think DK should beat him out?

Charge Punch. At a full charge and at least 45%, DK can easily beat out the bloated and slow Wario if he lets his guard down. Just the fear of this move can keep foes scared, which makes them make mistakes. Use that fear against them and use Uairs, Utilts, and Dtilts to slowly add up damage with DK's less laggy moves until Wario is at a vulnerable percentage. Then, charge up your punch over time. A good Wario will try to stop you from doing it, so you'll have to knock Wario away with some Bairs and Nairs in order to do so. With a full charge, however, Wario's stock is practically yours.

R.O.B. has similar stats to Wario, save the counter, and the same strengths and weakness to DK. Except one massive strength- a projectile, and an EXTREMELY speedy one at that.

DK can easily be outzoned by Laser as R.O.B. can keep the majority of the cast away with this single attack, then he can take them out by air with some Nairs and Dairs.

So why is DK less likely to fall prey to this tactic? Utilt. Yes, this move isn't one of the best anti-airs in the game, but its certainly enough to keep R.O.B. out of the sky. With him confined to a ground game, DK can turn the tables on R.O.B. with Dtilts and Ftilts. Try to avoid aerial clashes- R.O.B. will win EVERY TIME. However, manage to get a charge punch ready and that super armor will protect you while it sends R.O.B. flying.

Now for Snake...

Oh Snake, you and your silly weapons. Fists of fury is the only TRUE way to go.

Now, Snake is one of the strongest characters in the game. Tripping into a Snake Fsmash is the only surefire way to get yourself killed instantly.

The way DK can dominate Snake is how well DK can dodge Snake's artillery. Most of the time, DK can just jump and weave around Snake's 'nades and missles, but also outzones Snake with Dtilt and even Fsmash when Snake is too close for projectiles. The only difference between Snake and Wario/R.O.B. is that his damage output is actually devastating to even a heavyweight like DK. So, as long as you're cautious, as a good DK should always be, then you can simply defeat Snake with ease.

--------------

Now, I admit, DK is ***** by Meta Knight and Game & Watch, but that doesn't mean DK should take Snake's spot in the tiers. I'm just saying move him above Pikachu and Lucario, right under Marth.

Browny

Smash Hater
2. He's a swordy, so it's natural he has a lack of range. However, speed CAN negate this.
wut

wut

5. And finally- Marth has a good sweetspot to all of his moves. However, this sweetspot is probably the ONLY dependable way for Marth to deal damage. Sourspotted, his attacks are weaker than Luigi's, almost as low as Diddy's Smashes.
wut

bloated and slow Wario
wut

So why is DK less likely to fall prey to this tactic? Utilt. Yes, this move isn't one of the best anti-airs in the game, but its certainly enough to keep R.O.B. out of the sky.
wut

then you can simply defeat Snake with ease.
wut

Too many things need explaining for me to bother doing it myself

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sonic should move up severely.
Fixed.
You'd be surprised at what Diddy could do.
after youve watched 2 or 3 ninjalink vids, I dont think I can be surprised by diddy anymore...

Too many things need explaining for me to bother doing it myself
dont worry son, i got ur back.
his sword is the reason he has range. its so long it gives him on of the best spacing games in the cast.
It still ***** just as hard, as do the rest of his ground moves, seeing as he has a really long sword and range for days...
4. His recovery is rather lackluster, if not gimpable.
his shield breaker gives him a really good boost, his dancing blade is still great for effing up peoples timings on their gimp attempts, and his up b his invincibility. not to mention that theres only like 4 characters with a bad recovery in this game.
rofl.
you suck at marth.

not sweetspotting, sets up for more better followups. and they still do stupid damage. tippers are the only way for him to get kills though. even though thats not a problem seeing as ALL HIS ATTACKS CAN TIP. not to mention that luigis airials do a lot of damage, seeing that you can chain them together like nobodys business

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
Now, I admit, DK is ***** by Meta Knight and Game & Watch, but that doesn't mean DK should take Snake's spot in the tiers. I'm just saying move him above Pikachu and Lucario, right under Marth.
if DK is getting ***** by G&W, you're not playing DK right.
if DK is getting ***** by MK, you're not playing DK right.

DK already is above pikachu.

tier placement isnt determined by matchups like you're saying. e.g. "DK ***** Wario (which he doesnt), so he should be higher tiered."
tier placement is determined by:
1. tourney results
2. how many bad matchups vs how many good matchups a character has. if you'll look at the top 7 you'll see, many of them lack truly disadvantageous matchups, except against another top tier, e.g. G&W vs MK or Falco vs G&W

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I think Ness has potential to move up to mid tier (yes, I'm biased). Ref (the best Ness tourney player) has gone toe to toe with Bum's DK. Ness has tools to be a tourney contender, but lots of the good Ness mains don't go to tourneys yet.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats more of a matchup/player dependant thing and doesnt really affect tiers.

also, im prettysure that malcom's sonic does better against bum's dk than refs ness, but that is neither her nor there...

IDK

Smash Lord
no, PT is down because of fatigue. You don't understand how bad it really hurts him.
I'm a little curious about mario though. I've seen and played a few that showed me what he can do. and his cape is pure epic... but not as much as diddy's bananas. not even MK...

Fearmy

Smash Ace

smashbot226

Smash Master
Well, you certainly can't say it isn't GOOD either...

But Link has the Bomb Jumps, so he's not ALL but screwed.

Olimar, Wolf, Ivysaur, Link, and Ganondorf probably have the worst recoveries.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
no, PT is down because of fatigue. You don't understand how bad it really hurts him.
I'm a little curious about mario though. I've seen and played a few that showed me what he can do. and his cape is pure epic... but not as much as diddy's bananas. not even MK...
Mario's too average. He has slightly-below-average kill moves, average range, average projectiles, bad recovery, his moves do average damage... He has nothing really outstanding about him other than the cape, and even with it his edgeguarding is only above average, but not amazing. He has nice combos, though.

Not really Wolf. Wolf's recovery is awkward, but it's definitely not on the same level as the other 4.

I'm pretty dang sure that Wario and ROB will drop slightly. The "omg ROB counters Snake" hype is over, and it's pretty much set that ROB loses to pretty much all of the other top tiers other than Snake, which isn't a very good trait to have in a competitive scene where top tiers are supposed to be the overused characters. Wario has that grab release BS to worry about, which is why he'll be dropping slightly.

I can't imagine DK passing Lucario, though. Diddy has a very small chance, but almost definitely not.

Fearmy

Smash Ace

you can CG a bit with fatiuge. and this actually allows COMBOES EVEN W/O HITSTUN!!! well if you think of it that way :D

and seriously ppl really hate on tethers right now... as long as you TRY to hit of the person, (razor leaf when far, nair when close) you will be fine about 90% of the time.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Ugh.
I can't read 21 pages.

We can't use tournament results because that reflects player skill as well as how good the character is.

Being biased, I say
TOON LINK
:)

lol.
We're sort of getting some more advanced techniques... though we don't really know how much they affect our game.
They're mostly to do with bombs, like Invincibombing (I think this was discovered by the Links but whatever), lots of ways to make more efficient the process of dropping bombs everywhere.

D

Deleted member

I think Diddy is on the rise, if anyone has a decent matchup on MK they are destined to move up. I know that Game and Watch, Ike, and Pit are declining. The metagames for them aren't really moving. Also they are predictable characters. If you want proof, just look at the first tier list and the second.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Funny you mention those characters, I recently started playing them a lot more.
Also, Olimar. I've made some amazing combos with him lately.

Tamoo

Smash Master
really? combos?
Im happy olimar and luigi moved up, but cant quite understand how peach moved up so much
maybe im being ignorant cause ive never played a peach that has caused my olimar trouble, and that is saying a lot. Its a really bad matchup apparantly.
So why did she warrant this big rise? Was she placing well or was it more the opinions of the SBR?

PillowPants

Smash Apprentice
omg Link is crazy idc wut ppl say, Link eats potential for breakfast, i would compare him to snake cuz of his projectiles, but im not ready to die just yet so ill leave it at that

zeldspazz

Smash Master
omg Link is crazy idc wut ppl say, Link eats potential for breakfast, i would compare him to snake cuz of his projectiles, but im not ready to die just yet so ill leave it at that

I see link moving up, not much, he has a some good attributes, but what is keeping him down is the combination of fast fall spead and terrible recovery =\

Top Bottom