• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters whose games you like, but not their movesets?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Title explains it all. Are there any games you're a big fan of, but when it comes to its representation in Smash, it's a character you rarely play? For me, it's Olimar. I absolutely love the Pikmin series more than pretty much anything else, but I just can't get into the way the little man plays in Smash. I wish I liked Olimar, but his campy playstyle just isn't for me. Anyone else have this problem?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Shulk. No. 1 first party pick for 4.
But seriously they ruined him in Smash

They removed all his monado arts for WHAT?
BUFFS THAT ALSO HURT HIM?
Oh and let's not even mention how he turns the Monado off in the MIDDLE OF COMBAT.
I mean come ON, he doesn't even HOLD OUT HIS SWORD. Even the trailer has him holding it out.

They sacrificed all these cool original moves so they could push a dumb gimmick no XC or Shulk fan wanted.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Shulk. No. 1 first party pick for 4.
But seriously they ruined him in Smash

They removed all his monado arts for WHAT?
BUFFS THAT ALSO HURT HIM?
Oh and let's not even mention how he turns the Monado off in the MIDDLE OF COMBAT.
I mean come ON, he doesn't even HOLD OUT HIS SWORD. Even the trailer has him holding it out.

They sacrificed all these cool original moves so they could push a dumb gimmick no XC or Shulk fan wanted.
I take it his arts didn't have drawbacks in Xenoblade then? Wonder why they thought he needed to have such a double edged sword for Smash then...

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Chrom and Lucina.

I loved Awakening, so it saddened me that Chrom is a semi-clone of a semi-clone and that Lucina is a clone of Marth. Their movesets derive from other Fire Emblem characters, which gives the Smash community an incentive to further hate the FE series as well as swordfighters in general. There was so much source material they could've used, but oh well. Inclusion is definitely better than no inclusion.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
:ulttoonlink: No Deku Leaf and Grappling Hook.
:ultwario: He had a whole series of games before WarioWare, there’s more to draw from.
:ultdoc: I love puzzle games and would have been happy if the only puzzle game character we’ll ever get in Smash actually used his puzzle game’s mechanics.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
:ultganondorf: - He's still too much Falcon, this should have been fixed in Brawl, not slightly tweaked each game.
:ultgreninja: - His moveset is cool and accurate, never quite enjoyed it personally tho.
:ulttoonlink: - Had plenty of unique gear to utilize, they gave him none of it. Lazy.
:ultsonic: - His moveset is bascially one that could be made from his appearance in Sonic 1 (with the exception of the lock on), and has no other properties from any of his other games, he actually does more than turn into a ball, even if it's turning into a ball but hes on fire. *shrug*

NintenEdgyMan

Smash Apprentice
:ultshulk:
Why? I actually think he's fun to play but his kit doesn't represent him and doesn't fit him. Why do monado arts hurt him? Not only is it not game accurate, but makes 2 of them useless, and people only use Buster and nothing else at the start because of damage anyway.

He also feels too head on. I know he doesn't have a projectile in his game but at least let his sword be fully out the whole time. He feels like a brute because he needs to get in close and smack people away for high damage or knockback due to monado arts.

I would change it so he gets less major buffs but he has no downside, leading to a more buff focused playstyle, letting him feel more self managing and reflect how he plays in his game.

I would also make his the Monado be fully out the whole time. This would make him a better spacer, which reflects how he is played in his game, a physical zoner.

I feel alot of what is there is fine though.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
:ultwario:
He really needs more moves from Wario Land seriously.

:ultsonic:
Too much spinning into a ball, I know that they're trying to reference the Genesis trilogy and CD but he could use some moves from Sonic Fighters and Battle.

:ultganondorf:
I really appreciate him being in Smash but I'm very sure most would agree that he shouldn't be so similar to:ultfalcon:.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:4wiifit:She/he moveset is just weird. I don't dislike them, I just don't think they fit well in smash

:4ganondorf:besides the fact he is a clone and his moveset is pretty bland, he is just so clunky and over underwhelming and they cound've did a much better job with him.

:4zelda:Literally my favorite girl, but my gosh, thirteen years and Sakurai coudnt fix her crippling, horrible moves?!? She literally is the worst character in the game. I'm sometimes afraid to follow up moves with her because everything is unsafe! Fix her!

(Sorry if it sounded ranty)

Last edited by a moderator:

Transform987

Smash Rookie
:ultlittlemac:- Enough said...

But seriously, I know he is a boxer and that's moveset enough but I feel like they could have made his specials moves from his many foes.
Here's a small list:
Grab should have been Bear Huggers hug
Final smash was part of the mode that noone played, I feel like there could have been a better way to do it. Maybe similar to the knock-out animations in Punch Out Wii
Bald Bulls charge could have been fun

I can't think of many more but there is a massive pool to take from and unlike other franchises they will most likely never get more characters. It really should have been like other characters who embody their franchise. Little Mac can be more then just basic punches. (Side Note, King Hippo one day pls)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I take it his arts didn't have drawbacks in Xenoblade then? Wonder why they thought he needed to have such a double edged sword for Smash then...
Because it'd be """""unique""""" and """""interesting""""".
You can look at the design doc for when Sakurai was planning the games and clearly he knew he had an oversaturation of sword characters and that would tick people off, so he probably made him like he was to differentiate him further.

I know he doesn't have a projectile in his game
Nah, he totally does. Monado Purge. It's more of a short-range blade beam, but it's definitely a projectile in XC and XC2.

Ardisan

Smash Rookie
I like pretty much 97% of the casts games so sorry if its too big.
:4megaman:: Takes too much work to confirm a kill imo. Also kinda hoped that Mega Man could select his other abilities like in the Mega Man games instead of having to pick them out in Custom settings. He had the best custom moves that were actually fair to use while being from his games. His slide kick isnt one of his most useful moves when in Mega Man its amazing.
:4palutena:: Moveset is just really laggy and her projectile move is very slow and has a janky targeting mechanic like Sonic's.
:4darkpit:: Clone character that unlike Lucina, has a very small stat differences than regular pit.
:4dedede:: Has a lot of janky hit boxes such has his down tilt.
:4sonic:: I love this character and I love how he plays but I find it pretty redundant to have 2 spin dash moves that do pretty much the same thing with some differences. Also his homing attack is beans.
:4wario:: Laggy aerials and lack of Wario Land moves such has his iconic shoulder bash move.
:4ganondorf:: Nothing he does except his side-b gives me a Ganon vibe and never felt like this changed ever since he was introduced in Melee.
:4olimar:: Wished they used pikmin from Pikmin 3 as well instead of just changing the up-b.
:4tlink:: Same reason as SmashBros99. Where dat Wind Waker moveset at dood?

Top Bottom