• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters who should had been in Smash earlier?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Title says it. Discuss what characters already in the game that should had been in earlier? For me I feel :ultkrool:should had been in since Brawl or at least Sm4sh IMO since he's an iconic Nintendo villain alongside :ultbowser:and:ultganondorf:that deserves as much recognition.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Oh I absolutely agree with you, K Rool should have been one of the obvious adds in brawl, along with Ridley if you ask me. It’s crazy to think that two of Nintendo’s biggest villains have taken 5 installments to make it in, thank goodness they made the cut this time tho

ps_

Banned via Warnings
:ultkrool::ultridley: are obvious.

I'm surprised nobody sprung for :ultpacman: or :ultmegaman: sooner. Pacman in particular might be the one video game character in existence even more well-known than Mario.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh I absolutely agree with you, K Rool should have been one of the obvious adds in brawl, along with Ridley if you ask me. It’s crazy to think that two of Nintendo’s biggest villains have taken 5 installments to make it in, thank goodness they made the cut this time tho
Had King K. Rool of been added in Brawl. He may had never endured that decade long absence.

Were even lucky that we even got him. Had it not been for his high fan demand he may had never seen the light of day again forgotten like Chunky. At least Ridley on the other hand would had eventually gotten in high demand or not.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:ultridley: Should have gotten in Melee
:ultkingdedede: Should have gotten in Melee (was planned, but didn't due to time constraints)
:ultmetaknight: Should have gotten in Melee
:ultwario: Should have gotten in Melee (again, was planned but didn't due to time constraints)
:ultdiddy: Should have gotten in Melee
:ultkrool: Should have gotten in Brawl
:ultsimon: Should have gotten in Brawl
:ultrosalina: Should have gotten in Brawl
:ultbowserjr: Should have gotten in Brawl

D

Deleted member

:ultlucas: was actually supposed to be in Melee and replace :ultness:, but time constraints and an uncertainty that Mother 3 would even been made, got :ultness: in Melee, and not adding :ultlucas:, as you can tell, this makes me kinda sad. :c

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
IIRC that was 64 actually. Why he wasn't put into Melee nor was considered I don't know why...
King Dedede was planned for both 64 and Melee as well as Pit.

Edit: Also, it's like I said: ''(was planned, but didn't due to time constraints)'' That's why we got six clones in Melee as well as why Ganondorf is forever Falcondorf.

:ultlucas: was actually supposed to be in Melee and replace :ultness:, but time constraints and an uncertainty that Mother 3 would even been made, got :ultness: in Melee, and not adding :ultlucas:, as you can tell, this makes me kinda sad. :c
Had Lucas gotten in Melee, it would have been the Earthbound 64 version of the character. That didn't happen because of the N64 version of Mother 3 getting cancelled.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Odd I never found any info on him being planned or considered for Melee but I suppose that could had been the case since he was planned for 64.
He didn't make it in due to time constraints which, I already said. That's why we have six clones in Melee as well as Ganondorf forever being Falcondorf. :ultkingdedede:,:ultwario:,:ultpit:,:ultlucas:,:ultsonic:, and :ultsnake:were all suppose to be in Melee. I have a feeling :ultdiddy:was going to be in Melee as well because of him not having a trophy in that game, but K. Rool and Dixie did. This was around the time Microsoft went to buy Rare which, is probably the reason why Diddy didn't make it in Melee because Rare still owned the rights to him at the time before the buyout.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Title says it. Discuss what characters already in the game that should had been in earlier? For me I feel :ultkrool:should had been in since Brawl or at least Sm4sh IMO since he's an iconic Nintendo villain alongside :ultbowser:and:ultganondorf:that deserves as much recognition.
As far as I'm concerned, :ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultwario:all should have been in as early as Melee, :ultkrool: should have made it in by Smash 4 and no later.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As far as I'm concerned, :ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultwario:all should have been in as early as Melee, :ultkrool: should have made it in by Smash 4 and no later.
I agree with Melee being to early for K. Rool, with how many all stars that needed to get in before him. But he definitely should have gotten in as early as Brawl.

Last edited:

Azura Ahai

Smash Rookie
Ridley was long overdue. I remember back in the Melee days arguing with people on gamefaqs that he could be sized down to work as a smash fighter. Some 15 years later, here we are...

I actually think Simon is the one most overdue though. Castlevania is a classic Nintendo series and deserved a rep in melee when it seemed they were adding in all the obvious all star type characters from their biggest series. Plus his moveset makes itself, I always knew he’d be a perfect fit for smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultmarth: should have gotten in 64
:ultkingdedede: should have gotten in Melee
:ultvillager::ultpacman::ultmiifighters: should have gotten in Brawl
:ultisabelle: should have gotten in For

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I sincerely believe Duck Hunt should have been in the very first Smash. Definitely before Captain Falcon and Ness. Duck Hunt is just such a staple of classic Nintendo. One of the very few characters in Smash that even my mother recognizes.

Ridley and K. Rool both could have easily been Brawl characters. Villager too. And maybe even the Miis.

Also, and I know this is kind of a different topic - but Meowth should have been the second Pokemon added. No one will ever change my mind on that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I sincerely believe Duck Hunt should have been in the very first Smash. Definitely before Captain Falcon and Ness. Duck Hunt is just such a staple of classic Nintendo. One of the very few characters in Smash that even my mother recognizes.

Ridley and K. Rool both could have easily been Brawl characters. Villager too. And maybe even the Miis.

Also, and I know this is kind of a different topic - but Meowth should have been the second Pokemon added. No one will ever change my mind on that.
It's interesting to think. What would Dunk Hunt's moveset be like if they were in Smash 64? It definitely would be simpler.

Also, this is all hypothetical talk. Meowth realistically couldn't be in Smash 64, since Jigglypuff only got in as a sort of Kirby clone.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ultkingdedede: Should have been in Smash 64 instead of Puff
:ultmetaknight: (and :ultkingdedede: for that matter) should have been in melee
:ultdiddy: Should have been in Melee....?
:ultmewtwo: Should have been in the Smash 4 base roster by I understand the time constraints
:ultridley: Should have been in Melee
:ultkrool: Should have been in brawl
:ultroy: Should have been in the Smash 4 base game instead of Lucina
:ultsimon: Should have been Smash 4 DLC instead of Bayo
:ultinkling: Should have been Smash 4 DLC instead of Corrin
:ultwolf: Should have been in Melee

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:ultbowser:- Should've been in Smash 64

:ultdiddy:- Should've been in Melee
:ultwario:- Should've been in Melee
:ultkingdedede:- Should've been in Melee (if not, then :ultmetaknight:)
:ultpit:- Should've been in Melee

:ultvillager:- Should've probably been in Brawl (don't care about the character and franchise tho)
:ultkrool:- Should've been in Brawl
:ultmewtwo:- Shouldn't have been cut in Brawl
:ultbowserjr:- Should've been in Brawl

:ultchrom:- Should've literally been in Smash 4
:ultinkling:- Could've been included in Smash 4, glad they didn't tho
:ultwolf:- Shouldn't have been cut
:ultridley:- Should've been in 4, due to massive fan demand

That's basically it for me.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I actually think Simon is the one most overdue though. Castlevania is a classic Nintendo series and deserved a rep in melee when it seemed they were adding in all the obvious all star type characters from their biggest series. Plus his moveset makes itself, I always knew he’d be a perfect fit for smash.
Castlevania isn't a Nintendo series, it's a Konami series. But you're right though, Simon deserved to be in Smash much earlier than Ultimate. I would say he should have been in Brawl instead of Snake because of Castlevania's deep history on the older Nintendo consoles.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Its hard to say because if a character should have been in earlier in Smash, that means that they should have been a higher priority than others. So if I said that :ultdiddy::ultwario: or :ultkingdedede: should have been in Melee, then that means that I feel like they should have been in more than :ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultpeach::ultgnw:. But either way, here it goes.

:ultroy::ultpichu: should have been in 64.
:ultbowserjr::ultdarksamus::ultike::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultrosalina::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultzss: should have been in Melee.
:ultbayonetta::ultchrom::ultdarkpit::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer:should have been in Brawl.
:ultcorrin::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultJoker: should have been in the base roster of Smash 4.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Its hard to say because if a character should have been in earlier in Smash, that means that they should have been a higher priority than others. So if I said that :ultdiddy::ultwario: or :ultkingdedede: should have been in Melee, then that means that I feel like they should have been in more than :ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultpeach::ultgnw:. But either way, here it goes.

:ultroy::ultpichu: should have been in 64.
:ultbowserjr::ultdarksamus::ultike::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultrosalina::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultzss: should have been in Melee.
:ultbayonetta::ultchrom::ultdarkpit::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer:should have been in Brawl.
:ultcorrin::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultJoker: should have been in the base roster of Smash 4.
Not sure if this is an abstract joke post or not but almost none of those characters existed before the Smash game in which they were introduced.

Anyway, the way I like to see it is that each character made their entrance when they were meant to. The earlier a character was introduced, the simpler their kit is. Not as many risks are taken and fewer unique mechanics made it in. In a way, it's a blessing to have been added later.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Hard to properly place due to each game's time constraints and etc, but generally speaking;

:ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultzelda:- Super Smash Bros. 64
:ultwario::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdiddy::ultmetaknight:- Super Smash Bros. Melee
:ultbowserjr::ultmegaman::ultvillager::ultmiifighters:- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
:ultchrom: - Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U

Then you have a bunch that would make sense: :ultdarksamus: (Brawl), :ultisabelle::ultinkling:(Smash Wii U), :ultwolf::ultolimar:(Melee) but I feel adding these characters to these respective games would have been a courageous decision by Sakurai at the time.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hard to properly place due to each game's time constraints and etc, but if we just went with each game's roster size and timing:

:ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultbowser::ultpeach:- Super Smash Bros. 64
:ultwario::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdiddy::ultmetaknight:- Super Smash Bros. Melee
:ultbowserjr::ultmegaman::ultvillager::ultmiifighters:- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
:ultchrom: - Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U

Then you have a bunch that would make sense: :ultdarksamus: (Brawl), :ultisabelle::ultinkling:(Smash Wii U), :ultwolf::ultolimar:(Melee) but I feel adding these characters to these respective games would have been a courageous decision by Sakurai at the time.
Could 64 even support transforming characters?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Could 64 even support transforming characters?
No; but we're ignoring the game's actual rules and focusing more on when the character could have been ideally added based on their success, popularity, and relevancy.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Not sure if this is an abstract joke post or not but almost none of those characters existed before the Smash game in which they were introduced.

Anyway, the way I like to see it is that each character made their entrance when they were meant to. The earlier a character was introduced, the simpler their kit is. Not as many risks are taken and fewer unique mechanics made it in. In a way, it's a blessing to have been added later.
It was. But did I mess up with somebody?
But for real, I think that for most of the roster was added at the right time, because if they didn't, they wouldn't have been selected at all.
:ultfalcon:- Without Smash 64, I don't think he would have been added in Smash. While he might have shown up in Melee, he would have been too old to be recent enough for Brawl onward, but too new to be a retro.
:ultcloud:-Ultimate was dedicated to fan favorites being added and if Cloud wasn't a veteran, most people would use him as a character that would never appear in Smash.
:ultdoc:- Dr. Mario wouldn't be a requested character, maybe an alternate skin, but Smash doesn't give characters alternative skins for the most part (exceptions are there. Mostly :ultlittlemac: and the gendered characters)
:ultfalco:- Why Falco over the other two members of Team Star Fox? Peppy and Slippy feel like they are more important and/or more iconic to the series than Falco. Plus :ultwolf: and Krystal would probably be more requested than the three of them.
:ultganondorf:- Ganon would probably be added instead.
:ultgreninja:- Gen 6 would have been passed over with a playable character like Gen 3 and Gen 5.
:ultike:- See Greninja but with replace Pokemon with Fire Emblem and Ike with Greninja, like how Ephraim was skipped over.
:ultjigglypuff:- Would have been out of the anime at the time.
:ultlittlemac:- The Punch Out wii game wouldn't have been 10 years old, and his series would be too relavent to be retro, and too old to be recent.
:ultlucina:- See Ike. Plus without echoes, I feel like Dark Pit would have decloned and echoes wouldn't have been a concept.
:ultmegaman:- With Ryu in the game, we would have still gotten a Ken echo. Probably not :ultmegaman: himself, but has a chance to come in Ultimate.
:ultmewtwo:- New legendary Pokemon and all. Still likely.
:ultmiifighters:-Miis are no longer as important in the Switch as they were in the Wii and Wii U eras.
:ultpichu:- They would have never added Pichu if he wasn't in Melee.
:ultpalutena:&:ultdarkpit:- Uprising had come and gone, and without Dark Pit, I feel like the echo concept would have been dropped and they would have given Lucina something to different herself from both Marth and Roy.
:ultpokemontrainer:- Transformation characters were impossible in Smash 4.
:ultrobin:- See Ike.
:ultroy:- See Ike.
:ultchrom:- See Ike.
:ultryu:&:ultken:- Fans would have thought that Megaman was enough probably.
:ultsheik:- If she wasn't orginally attached to Zelda, she would not have been in later Smash games.
:ultsnake:- Did anybody think Snake was possible before he was in Brawl? Or 3rd Parties in general?
:ulttoonlink: & :ultyounglink:- People would probably be okay with just the other younger version of Link.
:ultvillager:- Isabelle would have been added as the only character for the series. She became the face of the franchise.
:ultwiifittrainer:- Did literally anybody ever think she was going to be in? I assume that most people would pick the balance board if they suggested a character from Wii Fit specifically.
:ultzss:- Would she have been added if not already a transformation for Samus? Also, Smash 4 didn't have transformations.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Should’ve been in Melee::ultdiddy::ultwario::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:
Should’ve been in Brawl::ultmegaman::ultkrool::ultridley::ultvillager::ultlittlemac:
Should’ve been in Smash 4::ultinkling::ultchrom:

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Time constraints is a viable reason to not include fighters so as long as the developers are trying their absolute hardest to get all the planned content in, so I say none of the fighters should have been entitled a spot sooner. In fact, I would actually argue that some should have been added into Smash Bros a game later. Well, a handful of veterans from Smash Melee in particular.
:ultdoc::ultganondorf::ultfalco::ultroy:
If three of them were cut to save time, it could potentially make the fourth one unique, or they could have removed all four of them to add a unique newcomer instead. Then we could see better versions of them in Smash Brawl and all future games to come instead of continuously seeing the partial clone bull crap even to this day.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Ridley should've been playable in Smash 4 but likely wasn't because of the 3DS and Wii U CPU's being terrible.

Simon Belmont should've been playable in Brawl

Wario could've been playable in Melee, but time didn't allow it

K Rool? This was his game to debut in

Little Mac? Smash 4 was his time because Punch-Out Wii came out after Brawl

Last edited:
Top Bottom