• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters who have MORE support than you’d expect

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You really dodged my question there, bro bud. I NEVER said Animal Crossing is niche, which is a phenomenon IP. I said "WHY DO PEOPLE WANT TOM NOOK?"
People like Animal Crossing, and Tom Nook has been Animal Crossing's mascot for ages. Therefore, people want Tom Nook in Smash. It helps that New Horizons has been a massive success and brought in a lot of new fans, and Tom was pushed prominently there, so he made a strong first impression on them.

UserKev

Smash Champion
People like Animal Crossing, and Tom Nook has been Animal Crossing's mascot for ages. Therefore, people want Tom Nook in Smash. It helps that New Horizons has been a massive success and brought in a lot of new fans, and Tom was pushed prominently there, so he made a strong first impression on them.
I know people like Animal Crossing. I like Animal Crossing.

It seems like people just want Tom Nook because he's the mascot or whatever when Isabella basically nails his role. Give me Mr. Resetti any day.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Zero is someone I think soem people want into smash, I mean he is cool, great moveset potential, and two franchises to pull moves from, plus he is in mu opnion the only anime swordsman that needs to be in smash

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly? I've not heard a single person outside of Smashboards ever bring up Reimu. I guess I kinda sorta understand her appeal, but she's leagues more popular here than I would have expected.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly? I've not heard a single person outside of Smashboards ever bring up Reimu. I guess I kinda sorta understand her appeal, but she's leagues more popular here than I would have expected.
You'd be surprised how much support she's gotten lately. Exhibit A: The Reimu For Smash account, and all 5,158 followers.
⛩Reimu For Smash⛩ (@ReimuForSmash) / Twitter

Plus a decent amount of videos regarding her and Smash, from moveset concepts to music wishlists.

There's actually a lot of Reimu support going on outside of here if you know where to look. Heck, Touhou and Smash is actually what led me here in the first place.

As for why she's sprung up so much, I think it's a combination of A: The doujin leak acting as a bit of a Trojan Horse to get people interested, and B: ZUN's statement on wanting Touhou in Smash making people realize "Oh %$#@, this can actually happen!" Yeah, everyone under the Sun wants their guys and gurls in Smash, but ZUN's known for doing his own thing and avoiding excessively commercializing Touhou, and people used to think he'd be the main issue regarding Touhou in Smash. Touhou's already had a huge fanbase, but it tended to occupy different circles than the Smash fanbase. These two events brought them closer together, and the Touhou fanbase just spilled into Smash's.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
You really dodged my question there, bro bud. I NEVER said Animal Crossing is niche, which is a phenomenon IP. I said "WHY DO PEOPLE WANT TOM NOOK?"
You called Tom Nook niche. How is he niche when he's a featured character in Animal Crossing New Horizons? People want Tom Nook because he's an appreciated character in the fandom, it's not that hard to understand.

UserKev

Smash Champion
well they cant make sense of your post. how can something be both niche and incredibly well known? i believe thats what theyre getting at
Tom Nook isn't niche in terms of overall merit, but in terms of his moveset in Smash, he'd be niche.

UserKev

Smash Champion
what do you mean?
Everyone is bringing up Tom Nook is well known and iconic, which I already mentioned. He's iconic to Animal Crossing. That's his merit. I don't see what else he would bring to Smash other than what Steve has claimed, a moveset based around building.

What would he do in Smash? I seen a conceptual move set and was extremely underwhelmed.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm not a Nook supporter myself, but maybe it would have something to do with debt?
Just gonna leave it alone, man. I may not get the hype behind Tom, but knowing Sakurai, he knows he to work his magic. Until then, I'll be rooting for Resetti.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Everyone is bringing up Tom Nook is well known and iconic, which I already mentioned. He's iconic to Animal Crossing. That's his merit. I don't see what else he would bring to Smash other than what Steve has claimed, a moveset based around building.

What would he do in Smash? I seen a conceptual move set and was extremely underwhelmed.
ah you mean you not sure what he could bring that others havent already. i got you

i did think when i saw steve that should been an AC character's moveset

and qbby's

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m surprised Eggman’s Sephiroth-boosted support has lasted well after Pyra and Mythra’s reveal.
Granted, he's a pretty well-known character. Sephiroth pretty much said "Yeah, this guy's possible," and everyone was easily able to latch on. Compare that to the other oft-discussed Sega characters: The Japan-centric Sakura, the mature, PlayStation-oriented Kiryu, and even Arle, who just isn't Sonic-tier yet, and there'd be a lot more confusion and lack on knowledge in response. Eggman's just someone everyone can speculate about, because everybody knows about him.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I’m surprised Eggman’s Sephiroth-boosted support has lasted well after Pyra and Mythra’s reveal.
I personally would attribute that to Sephiroth catching everyone off-guard. Up to that point, we didn't really have any indication that a series' villain could be added. Once it became clear that they could, Eggman sticks out as the only other third party villain that makes sense.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I personally would attribute that to Sephiroth catching everyone off-guard. Up to that point, we didn't really have any indication that a series' villain could be added. Once it became clear that they could, Eggman sticks out as the only other third party villain that makes sense.
speak for yourself. i thought both were very possible

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
A lot of the Japan-centric characters. Sakura Shinguji, Adol Christin, Estelle Bright, etc. I would understand a few people here and there supporting them, but they're constantly praised to death and back in the newcomer thread. While I'm sure the series are good, they are so obscure in the west that the support they get is kinda surprising to me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A lot of the Japan-centric characters. Sakura Shinguji, Adol Christin, Estelle Bright, etc. I would understand a few people here and there supporting them, but they're constantly praised to death and back in the newcomer thread. While I'm sure the series are good, they are so obscure in the west that the support they get is kinda surprising to me.
To be fair, Ys isn't that Japan-centric. Everything since the early 2000's are now on Steam.
Steam Search (steampowered.com)
I remember reading that Ys is actually more well-known in the West than Trails, though I'm not sure when that was written and times could have changed. For that matter, Trails is also mostly localized, with the Crossbell arc being the only one not officially translated. Falcom isn't excessively Japan-slanted, and they developed a pretty decent following on SmashBoards. That let people spread the name around and get people interested, and then the Falcom leak put them in the spotlight.

Sakura's more of a question mark, but I think it has to do with Project X Zone making them known to Western audiences. That led to them finding the rest of the series, and trying to push that series on the internet forums they frequent. Pretty much every new arrival to the speculative scene needs a bridge to help them over, and without PXZ, I'd wager we wouldn't be hearing Sakura's name nearly as much.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
The old Geno thread had like 150,000 posts. The Mallow thread meanwhile has just over a 100, not 100,000, 100. For 2 characters of theoretically equal stature from the same game the discrepancy in popularity between them is nothing short of baffling.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
how did ao many miss how SE pushing the cloud sephiroth dynamic?
You do recognize that I'm not arguing with you, right? My post was a direct response to someone pondering why Eggman's popularity has been sustained following the reveal of Sephiroth, and the reason is specifically that people largely didn't see it coming, despite it appearing obvious in hindsight.

Who are you debating? You saw it coming. Good for you.

The fact is that Eggman's sustained popularity is a result of others not seeing it coming and adjusting their priors accordingly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You do recognize that I'm not arguing with you, right? My post was a direct response to someone pondering why Eggman's popularity has been sustained following the reveal of Sephiroth, and the reason is specifically that people largely didn't see it coming, despite it appearing obvious in hindsight.

Who are you debating? You saw it coming. Good for you.

The fact is that Eggman's sustained popularity is a result of others not seeing it coming and adjusting their priors accordingly.
I never said I was arguing and I never said I saw it coming I just said it shouldn’t be surprising

no need to get nasty

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I never said I was arguing and I never said I saw it coming I just said it shouldn’t be surprising

no need to get nasty
Your literal first response to me was:
speak for yourself. i thought both were very possible
The "speak for yourself" is plainly argumentative.

"I thought both were very possible" and "I saw it coming" are essentially synonymous.

When I clarified that I didn't mean that literally everyone was caught off guard, you continued to argue that people should have taken note of Square Enix pushing the Cloud/Sephiroth dynamic.

A plain reading of your posts indicates that you were arguing with me for saying that the Sephiroth reveal was a surprise to a lot of people. (Which, btw, is a statement of fact, not of what should or should not be.)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Your literal first response to me was:

The "speak for yourself" is plainly argumentative.

"I thought both were very possible" and "I saw it coming" are essentially synonymous.

When I clarified that I didn't mean that literally everyone was caught off guard, you continued to argue that people should have taken note of Square Enix pushing the Cloud/Sephiroth dynamic.

A plain reading of your posts indicates that you were arguing with me for saying that the Sephiroth reveal was a surprise to a lot of people. (Which, btw, is a statement of fact, not of what should or should not be.)
So what you’re saying is how I intended it doesn’t matter and only how you took it? Even if it was meant to be humorous or just a general observation?

Top Bottom