• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters who have MORE support than you’d expect

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm honestly bamboozled gen 8 has any support. Its completely odd and off putting level random. Rillaboom was made to be hated on. Cinderace was made to carry the cool destiny like other fire starters :rolleyes: so I can see why support is thrown out there for Rilla to get away from it.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I'm honestly bamboozled gen 8 has any support. Its completely odd and off putting level random. Rillaboom was made to be hated on. Cinderace was made to carry the cool destiny like other fire starters :rolleyes: so I can see why support is thrown out there for Rilla to get away from it.
You mean the starters or gen 8 as a whole? Cause theres some pretty cool stuff there.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Rillaboom was made to be hated on
Just because it's the least popular doesn't mean it was necessarily meant for that. I simply think it's not meant to be a Smash fighter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
cinerace is the opposite of cool

and i dont mean hes a fire type

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Bomberman. Like, I get people like the bomberman games, but I can't think of a super fleshed out moveset for him to do him justice that isn't super repetitive.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I suppose I should participate too, one character that has been getting a ton of demand in such short notice (and that I never expected it to happen, nor did I wanted to) was Master Chief, and while I get that Smash has sort of became a celebration of gaming, I mean it’s still a Nintendo game, so I personally really don’t see any appeal on having a character that has like never had any kind of association with the company, I mean just because he’s a gaming icon, really? Wow fascinating...
Considering that Microsoft is also the owner of a company that was once one of the best 2nd party companies Nintendo ever had, and that has such an awesome roster (Conker, Fulgore, Battletoads, etc), yeah I don’t get how he’s the most requested from the Microsoft crew.
Master Chief. I get he’s a gaming icon, but Smash is still a Nintendo first kind of game. Even :ultjoker: got a 3DS game before his proper debut in Smash.
He did appear on Switch via skin.

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Bomberman. Like, I get people like the bomberman games, but I can't think of a super fleshed out moveset for him to do him justice that isn't super repetitive.
Bomberman?! The poor thing hasn’t had almost any support since he was revealed as an Assist Trophy. And I mean, if Sakurai managed to come up with a non-repetitive moveset for a character that’s mostly known for walking and chomping such as Pac-Man or even the Ice Climbers who could only attack with their hammer in their game, then I don’t see how the Bomber would be a problem.
Even if his moveset has to be based around bombs, they do have all kinds of different effects in his games, which would definitely warrant some variety.
Maybe this Bomberman moveset concept video can change your mind.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Apparently the entire forums supports Crash.

Hmm...

Something seems off about that...

UserKev

Smash Champion
Really don't understand how Master Chief is so supported. Other than being a supposed mascot for Halo, he doesn't feel iconic to me. I just don't get it.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
I would respond to a lot of these posts about Geno, but clearly everything that could be said in favor of him is already said, so

Rex & Pyra: Xenoblade 2 to me is the shining beacon of unremarkable. So I am shocked to see that even after the Mii Costume, Rex still gets requested/predicted, especially with Jon GameXplain being so adamant about him.

Gen 8 Pokemon:
Pretty much every mention of a Gen 8 Pokemon I've seen was only because of whiny pissants setting themselves up for disappointment after Byleth, after ignoring just how good the first Fighters Pass really was. Even then, why a recent Shillmon instead of something from earlier in the series that people actually love, i.e. Cynthia or Deoxys?

Kasumi (Dead or Alive):
Now, it's definitely not because of the normie perception of DoA being "that tiddy game", but it's solely because in the grand scheme of fighting games, Dead or Alive shouldn't be represented next to Street Fighter, Fatal Fury/KoF, and Virtua Fighter as one of the biggest fighting games ESPECIALLY before Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, etc.

Hat Kid:
One of the lamest indie picks for a fighter you could ever ask for. I have no idea how Hat Kid, who is essentially Mario as a cute alien toddler, gets more backing before Reimu, Quote, Jacket, or any of the other more significant indie game characters.

My biggest reason, however, for most of these is that I see their "support" as "It's new and I like it, so it should be in Smash" which is a really weak and pathetic mindset for what is essentially becoming the biggest video game crossover of all time

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would respond to a lot of these posts about Geno, but clearly everything that could be said in favor of him is already said, so

Rex & Pyra: Xenoblade 2 to me is the shining beacon of unremarkable. So I am shocked to see that even after the Mii Costume, Rex still gets requested/predicted, especially with Jon GameXplain being so adamant about him.

Gen 8 Pokemon: Pretty much every mention of a Gen 8 Pokemon I've seen was only because of whiny pissants setting themselves up for disappointment after Byleth, after ignoring just how good the first Fighters Pass really was. Even then, why a recent Shillmon instead of something from earlier in the series that people actually love, i.e. Cynthia or Deoxys?

Kasumi (Dead or Alive): Now, it's definitely not because of the normie perception of DoA being "that tiddy game", but it's solely because in the grand scheme of fighting games, Dead or Alive shouldn't be represented next to Street Fighter, Fatal Fury/KoF, and Virtua Fighter as one of the biggest fighting games ESPECIALLY before Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, etc.

Hat Kid: One of the lamest indie picks for a fighter you could ever ask for. I have no idea how Hat Kid, who is essentially Mario as a cute alien toddler, gets more backing before Reimu, Quote, Jacket, or any of the other more significant indie game characters.

My biggest reason, however, for most of these is that I see their "support" as "It's new and I like it, so it should be in Smash" which is a really weak and pathetic mindset for what is essentially becoming the biggest video game crossover of all time
so because you dont like the characters you cant accept that anyone else can? didnt need to word it so harshly

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Really don't understand how Master Chief is so supported. Other than being a supposed mascot for Halo, he doesn't feel iconic to me. I just don't get it.
yeah i dont get it either
Me three.
If you weren't old enough to have a functioning brain in the early and mid-2000's, I wouldn't expect you to. I don't think there was, or ever will be, a game launch that was as big as Halo 2...
1587416272320.png

...or Halo 3.

It may be hard to believe it, but these games changed the mainstream attention towards video games for the better. The current environment for things like eSports, E3, and The Game Awards would not be a thing without what Halo did.

so because you dont like the characters you cant accept that anyone else can? didnt need to word it so harshly
That's basically what this whole thread is. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

Gen 8 Pokemon: Pretty much every mention of a Gen 8 Pokemon I've seen was only because of whiny pissants setting themselves up for disappointment after Byleth, after ignoring just how good the first Fighters Pass really was. Even then, why a recent Shillmon instead of something from earlier in the series that people actually love, i.e. Cynthia or Deoxys?

Kasumi (Dead or Alive): Now, it's definitely not because of the normie perception of DoA being "that tiddy game", but it's solely because in the grand scheme of fighting games, Dead or Alive shouldn't be represented next to Street Fighter, Fatal Fury/KoF, and Virtua Fighter as one of the biggest fighting games ESPECIALLY before Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, etc.

Hat Kid: One of the lamest indie picks for a fighter you could ever ask for. I have no idea how Hat Kid, who is essentially Mario as a cute alien toddler, gets more backing before Reimu, Quote, Jacket, or any of the other more significant indie game characters.

Dude,
1. Xenoblade 2 was succesful and popular as heck. It was really good (from what I've heard at least) the game sold millions. Not seeing support for a character from this game would be shocking.
2. I have never seen this stereotype for a gen 8 pokemon supporter before now and I hope to never see it again. First, we are not "whiny pissants" (at least not most of us), we actually genuinely believe a character from this game could come and we have disscussions about it. Second, we're not ignoring the first pass, it's just why would we discuss the characters chances and pass 1 in the same conversation when it's obviously going to be in pass 2 (if it happens). And third, just because we support a pokemon from a recent game dosen't mean we don't support past pokemon. I honestly wish pokes like Necrozma or Wurmple (don't question my choices). We also thought Gen 8 had some great designs and pokemon, so what's wrong in supporting something?
3. Can't really say anything on this.
4. I don't really like Hat Kid either, but the game was incredibly popular, and was far more unique than mario in many ways.
5. I understand why you hate that mindset, but it's what people want to support. Enforcing your opinion as fact dosen't change anything.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Even then, why a recent Shillmon instead of something from earlier in the series that people actually love, i.e. Cynthia or Deoxys?
A lot of it is under the belief that they're playing it safe, even though believing that a box legendary would get in is a huge gamble, and Sakurai might find problems attempting to make Rillaboom a fighter. (And I don't see "we need a grass starter" being TPC's biggest priority)

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
yeah i dont get it either
Me three.
No offense, But what is there to get? I pretty much brought up the same thing with regarding Crash Bandicoot.

Halo/Master Chief is the flagship franchise and face of Microsoft's Xbox brand, It helped modernize the "First Person Shooter" and further pushed online gaming via Xbox Live.

You can't really have a decent conversation of iconic video game characters without bringing him up, When it comes to mainstream, whether it's commercials, advertisements or promos and merchandise, Halo is up there with some of the most iconic characters and franchises in video game culture and even though it peaked in the late 2000's and stumbled in recent years, It's still a big name franchise that can do some damage and turn heads and it will get another shot at it with the launch of the Xbox Series X.

And this is coming from someone who has barely even played the series and grew up with Nintendo consoles and with Microsoft already on board with Banjo-Kazooie it doesn't seem so crazy for it to actually happen.

Having Mario vs Master Chief could be the biggest holy crap Inclusion in Smash since Sonic joined back in Brawl.

Last edited:

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Me four!
I feel like there are far better and more fitting choices for another Microsoft character to be added in Smash Bros than MC like I said before, but that’s just me.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I just don't want Pokemon newcomers since there's already a lot. Just because Byleth got it doesn't mean Pokemon should.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I just don't want Pokemon newcomers since there's already a lot. Just because Byleth got it doesn't mean Pokemon should.
Just because we have 10 doesn't mean the 10th is anywhere near the best one to finish the series with.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I think they mean having the last new Pokemon character be Incineroar wouldn't be a very good thing. Even Gen 8 has better reps to pick from.
Oh, ok. I get it.
Still though, I don't think that's a good enough reason to add another Pokemon. It feels like we got Byleth who were poorly received, so we need to get another FE character. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Heavy from TF2.
I just don't see much of interesting moveset even after seeing the suggestion. Say what you want about Master Chief, but at least he set foot on Nintendo via Minecradt skin.

I guess Doom Slayer. I can see reasons behind, but not as much as amount of current support. And legacy and influence are overrated argument while Final Fantasy and Persona made in before Dragon Quest.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Heavy from TF2.
I just don't see much of interesting moveset even after seeing the suggestion. Say what you want about Master Chief, but at least he set foot on Nintendo via Minecradt skin.

I guess Doom Slayer. I can see reasons behind, but not as much as amount of current support. And legacy and influence are overrated argument while Final Fantasy and Persona made in before Dragon Quest.
Final Fantasy and Persona are about as equally known. Persona less, but Final Fantasy is very iconic, probably more so than dragon quest due to it being mainly only known in japan, (at least prior to smash) And legacy and importance, despite being a factor, we got bayonetta before castlevania, persona, dragon quest, and fatal fury. So I can see your point on that.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really don't get the support behind Tom Nook. He's a AC staple and like, but he's incredibly niche. Why do people want this guy?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Well, since we're talking about this again:

Any character who's already an Assist Trophy in the same game.

Like, there's nothing wrong with Assist Trophy promotion support by itself, but...if they're already an Assist Trophy again, suddenly making them a fighter in the same game as DLC would just be a waste of time.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not so much "More support that expected" so much as "More support in comparison to their peers," but I'm kinda surprised Adol became the Falcom guy around here. Trails is arguably bigger than Ys at this point, but that series just doesn't get as much attention as Adol. Everyone treats him as the obvious pick due to the legacy, to the point that someone's even asked if he's "The only realistic Falcom candidate."

Granted, I was one of the heaviest pluggers during the resurgence of the Falcom rumor, so I might have to take the blame here...
Well, since we're talking about this again:

Any character who's already an Assist Trophy in the same game.

Like, there's nothing wrong with Assist Trophy promotion support by itself, but...if they're already an Assist Trophy again, suddenly making them a fighter in the same game as DLC would just be a waste of time.
Any AT that could be logically promoted has, at most, two to four attacks, a walk cycle, and a jumping animation. Compare that to the fighters, who have about 20-25 moves on average. When you put it in perspective, ATs are just a drop in the bucket, and won't strongly affect the workload one way or the other. Heck, they can just reuse the code that says "If (x) stage selected, (y) AT won't spawn." It's not that complicated.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Any AT that could be logically promoted has, at most, two to four attacks, a walk cycle, and a jumping animation. Compare that to the fighters, who have about 20-25 moves on average. When you put it in perspective, ATs are just a drop in the bucket, and won't strongly affect the workload one way or the other. Heck, they can just reuse the code that says "If (x) stage selected, (y) AT won't spawn." It's not that complicated
Just like how Perk should know this by now, anyone trying to debate with him about ATs should know by now that he won't learn this until Sakurai actually does this. And somehow I still expect him to act like the Isaac AT already had Venus Psynergy or the Lyn AT already had the Bow of Sacae.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Calling Animal Crossing niche is like calling Guardians of the Galaxy obscure. That used to be the case once upon a time but this isn't that time anymore.
You really dodged my question there, bro bud. I NEVER said Animal Crossing is niche, which is a phenomenon IP. I said "WHY DO PEOPLE WANT TOM NOOK?"

Top Bottom