• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters who have MORE support than you’d expect

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
This is pretty much the opposite of the Characters who have less support than you’d expect thread.
Just mention someone who’s amount of support surprises you, and that you weren’t really expecting him/her to ever get so demanded for whatever reason it is (doesn’t necessarily have to do anything with deservingness, as that’s subjective).

Oh and please be respectful.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ashley: I don't see why she has such a large following in the Smash community but I can respect that. I would be okay with her even though I want Mona more.

Porky Minch: He ain't really that popular but his fanbase has grown tremendously during this speculation period. I think it's due to him not having a Spirit in the game drawing more attention towards him because of that.

Lip: For a one off Retro character she has a HUGE following. I understand why certain people would want her with her game Panel De Pon being Gunpei Yokoi's last game before his death. She would be the last of Yokoi's creations not yet in the roster yet, but still I still don't see any other reasons why people would want her as a fighter.

Honestly, Geno.

I don't think there has ever been any instance his support thread wasn't on the front page of Newcomer Speculation.
The Geno fanbase was at it's weakest during the Smash 4 period and they didn't have nowhere the amount of supporters they had during the Brawl or Ultimate periods. Geno wasn't really talked about that much during the Smash 4/Smash Ballot days.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I am surprised that Arle gets the push she does. Maybe it's due to Papa Genos boosting awareness for her during the lead up to Byleth's reveal that did so? I dunno, I just don't get her appeal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Decidueye - even after Incineroar deconfirmed him (Decidueye isn’t even a spirit or poke ball) I still see a lot of support for him. I get that it’s to complete the trifecta of starter types, but other Pokémon can fit that bill.

Geno - for reasons listed by the people above. It feels like he overshadows almost any other Square Enix choice

Ryu Hayabusa - idk I just never saw the appeal, I can understand him being the last big time NES icon, but other than that...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I get that it’s to complete the trifecta of starter types, but other Pokémon can fit that bill.
To be fair, it placed a whole lot better on the official Pokemon poll than Rillaboom, in spite of what Baboom Win jokes would make you think.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Geno - for reasons listed by the people above. It feels like he overshadows almost any other Square Enix choice
Its really seriously because non of my most wanted picks have the right to have Geno support.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Its really seriously because non of my most wanted picks have the right to have Geno support.
I’m a staunch Neku supporter and in terms of a Square Enix rep I’d almost imagine him to have more support, but it feels like Geno steals Neku’s thunder support wise, as well as most other S-E hopefuls. The only one that I think can match Geno in levels of support is 2B and even then she falls a bit short because NieR Automata isn’t on a Nintendo system (yet)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I’m a staunch Neku supporter and in terms of a Square Enix rep I’d almost imagine him to have more support, but it feels like Geno steals Neku’s thunder support wise, as well as most other S-E hopefuls. The only one that I think can match Geno in levels of support is 2B and even then she falls a bit short because NieR Automata isn’t on a Nintendo system (yet)
No, Sora eclipses everyone else. His popularity is HUGE.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don’t really count Sora as a Square rep (I count him as Disney) but if you count Sora as S-E then yeah
Well think of Sora as K. Rool/Diddy of certs where his creators Square Soft/Rare don't own the rights to him owner being Disney/Nintendo because of the deep association with their games talking place in the Disney/DK universe. Sora even though he is owned by Disney is technically a Square-Enix character at heart.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Honestly? Isaac and Geno. Granted, I've never played their games (and given my luck, I never will), but I'm genuinely surprised that these two keep getting so much attention despite the former being from a currently-inactive franchise and the latter being a one-off character from a one-off game. Though, as I said, I've never played their games, so maybe I'm missing something.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly? Isaac and Geno. Granted, I've never played their games (and given my luck, I never will), but I'm genuinely surprised that these two keep getting so much attention despite the former being from a currently-inactive franchise and the latter being a one-off character from a one-off game. Though, as I said, I've never played their games, so maybe I'm missing something.
It would help if you did play Golden Sun, as Isaac's AT is pitiful at showing off what he could do.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
geno, i do not get it, what is the appeal? why does every love him so much? is it just all nostalgia or is it just a bandwagon thats never died down?

thats all rhetorical please dont answer, i doubt any explanation will make me understand

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Geno - I mean, he’s literally just a one-shot third party Mario character whose only major appearance is in one of Mario’s lesser known spin off games. With every other common fan request throughout Smash community history (:ultpeach::ultbowser::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultpit::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultpalutena::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: to name a few examples) they all either are highly iconic, prominent or strongly associated with the franchises they come from and/or in the case of :ulticeclimbers::ultsnake: were established veterans that people wanted back. Geno is a really tiny footnote in his franchise of origin sed nothing really makes him different from any other minor Mario character.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Part of this is rooted in the fact that I'm an older Sonic fan, but I'm a bit surprised by the heavy interest in Shadow as a rep for the franchise. Nothing against him, but there's three characters at least (Tails, Knuckles, Eggman) that I feel would add more interesting gameplay elements and even as an Echo Fighter Metal Sonic always felt like a better fit than Shadow.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm honestly surprised at the low amounts of actual waluigi supporters. (Not the memer actual people who actually think he's got a shot, not for meme purposes)
Likewise I’m still surprised people still think Rex has a shot. I’m talking purely chances wise because I thought the costume with the eloquent “consolation prize” speech woulda been the death knell for him for this game and he’d have to wait for the next. I know his costume was before pass 2 was announced, but the fact you gotta pay for him instead of him being in the base game like the Nia costume doesn’t bode well imo

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Likewise I’m still surprised people still think Rex has a shot. I’m talking purely chances wise because I thought the costume with the eloquent “consolation prize” speech woulda been the death knell for him for this game and he’d have to wait for the next. I know his costume was before pass 2 was announced, but the fact you gotta pay for him instead of him being in the base game like the Nia costume doesn’t bode well imo
well deconfirmation or not wouldnt effect his support

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
well deconfirmation or not wouldnt effect his support
Support for the next game is fine with me, if they keep pushing Rex could be the Chrom/K. Rool of Smash 6 - relevancy time window passed but his sheer demand guaranteed him a spot. I think that ship has sailed for Ultimate, tho

UserKev

Smash Champion
Part of this is rooted in the fact that I'm an older Sonic fan, but I'm a bit surprised by the heavy interest in Shadow as a rep for the franchise. Nothing against him, but there's three characters at least (Tails, Knuckles, Eggman) that I feel would add more interesting gameplay elements and even as an Echo Fighter Metal Sonic always felt like a better fit than Shadow.
I actually consider Shadow decently interesting in story but in actual game, he's a knock off of Sonic.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Geno, to me, has always been on the same tier as Stanley the Bugman or Wart - I kinda get why people want him, but he does seem almost like a random hat-pick.

Porky... I don't really see where his moveset potential comes from, the whole point of his boss battles is that you can't tell what he's doing...

look, I really don't like the Adventure games, so yes, I'm biased, but Shadow. To me he's just an utter Poochie and I cannot fathom why he's so popular.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but the fact you gotta pay for him instead of him being in the base game like the Nia costume doesn’t bode well imo
To be fair, you have to get the costume with the pass, which you mainly get for the actual fighters and their stages/music/spirits.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Geno, a one-off character who only appeared for a few chapters of an RPG almost 25 years ago shouldn't be this popular, I feel like it's just bandwagoning.
Geno is part of the whole story from when you find him in the Forest Maze and the second of seven star pieces, the MacGuffins. At the end, he uses them to rebuild Star Road, which is the main objective of the game after rescuing Peach. He's a star from there possessing a doll. It's used for granting wishes and was destroyed by the main villains, the extradimensional robotic Smithy Gang in the games prologue. They collect four of the pieces after rescuing Peach. Geno is the one who informed the rest of the party about the pieces' importance. He's very important to the plot.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
geno, i do not get it, what is the appeal? why does every love him so much? is it just all nostalgia or is it just a bandwagon thats never died down?

thats all rhetorical please dont answer, i doubt any explanation will make me understand
1. Deep childhood nostalgia for the character and SMRPG.

2. Geno was a prominent figure in Smash Kingdom, made a couple of cameos in Bowser's Kingdom, Forest Maze music video and other Nintendo related animations on Newgrounds and Youtube during the late 2000s. For a lot these videos were their first glimpse of Geno myself included.

3. While I am a Geno fan myself, I agree that they're bandwagoners in the Geno community that are just on board because of Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie all getting in or pairing Geno with Doom Slayer because they say they want both characters. I can't really say who are the real supporters or the bandwagoners in the Geno thread though.

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
It can't be overstated how many people played SA2 as their first Sonic game. My first experience with the series was with the original Adventure on my friend's Dreamcast (replaying the Genesis trilogy via ports later), but I'm absolutely an outlier. Once SA2 was ported to the GCN most of my generation (younger millennials) were exposed to the series for the first time, so I kind of understand why Shadow is so highly requested for Smash. Now, I still think he's basically a reskin of Sonic in terms of gameplay, and I'd much rather see Tails or Eggman if we're getting another Sonic rep, though I'm rather doubtful that we will, unless they really want to capitalize on the movie's hype.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It can't be overstated how many people played SA2 as their first Sonic game. My first experience with the series was with the original Adventure on my friend's Dreamcast (replaying the Genesis trilogy via ports later), but I'm absolutely an outlier. Once SA2 was ported to the GCN most of my generation (younger millennials) were exposed to the series for the first time, so I kind of understand why Shadow is so highly requested for Smash. Now, I still think he's basically a reskin of Sonic in terms of gameplay, and I'd much rather see Tails or Eggman if we're getting another Sonic rep, though I'm rather doubtful that we will, unless they really want to capitalize on the movie's hype.
I wish we could get Tails or Eggman but secondary unique 3rd party reps NOT ECHOS seems like a pipedream to me at this point.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Geno is part of the whole story from when you find him in the Forest Maze and the second of seven star pieces, the MacGuffins. At the end, he uses them to rebuild Star Road, which is the main objective of the game after rescuing Peach. He's a star from there possessing a doll. It's used for granting wishes and was destroyed by the main villains, the extradimensional robotic Smithy Gang in the games prologue. They collect four of the pieces after rescuing Peach. Geno is the one who informed the rest of the party about the pieces' importance. He's very important to the plot.
Of one game. If this was how it worked, we'd have Huey and Mc Ballyhoo duking it out on mario tennis. It dosen't work well.

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Ok ok I can see why some people (who most likely never played SMRPG) don’t really get his appeal. In my point of view, Geno is an awesome character, with a really unique design, and a lot of potential. I really think it’s one hell of a waste to have such an incredible character like that being used just for one game and then untouched forever, so I’m glad with all the support the quirky puppet is getting. The very only thing that bothers me is the fact that Mallow doesn’t get nearly any demand.

I suppose I should participate too, one character that has been getting a ton of demand in such short notice (and that I never expected it to happen, nor did I wanted to) was Master Chief, and while I get that Smash has sort of became a celebration of gaming, I mean it’s still a Nintendo game, so I personally really don’t see any appeal on having a character that has like never had any kind of association with the company, I mean just because he’s a gaming icon, really? Wow fascinating...
Considering that Microsoft is also the owner of a company that was once one of the best 2nd party companies Nintendo ever had, and that has such an awesome roster (Conker, Fulgore, Battletoads, etc), yeah I don’t get how he’s the most requested from the Microsoft crew.

Porky... I don't really see where his moveset potential comes from, the whole point of his boss battles is that you can't tell what he's doing...
I don’t see why his moveset should be entirely based on his appearance as a boss in Subspace Emissary, if you have doubts on his moveset then I recommend you to watch this:

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Well now I want to see that. I actually liked MC Ballyhoo...
I thought Ballyhoo was beyond annoying when MP8 came out, but I was also an edgelord wannabe 14-year-old. I replayed MP8 with some friends last fall and found him hilarious, so I think I just needed to come around to him. So sure, put him in Smash, why not? He's basically just as relevant as Geno in the context of the Mario series at this point.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Support for the next game is fine with me, if they keep pushing Rex could be the Chrom/K. Rool of Smash 6 - relevancy time window passed but his sheer demand guaranteed him a spot. I think that ship has sailed for Ultimate, tho
well most probably have the never say never until the end attitude towards his inclusion

1. Deep childhood nostalgia for the character and SMRPG.

2. Geno was a prominent figure in Smash Kingdom, made a couple of cameos in Bowser's Kingdom, Forest Maze music video and other Nintendo related animations on Newgrounds and Youtube during the late 2000s. For a lot these videos were their first glimpse of Geno myself included.

3. While I am a Geno fan myself, I agree that they're bandwagoners in the Geno community that are just on board because of Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie all getting in or pairing Geno with Doom Slayer because they say they want both characters. I can't really say who are the real supporters or the bandwagoners in the Geno thread though.
i said dont respond, i told you i wouldnt understand, thats just a bit rude

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Within the franchise I think Shadow works fine (though arguably falling into the Sonic character trap of the creators now having no idea what to do with him), but in terms of abilities he feels like he's in an odd gray area as a fighter. He's not as distinct as a Robotnik in terms of potential attacks/style but still too unique that just being an EF of Sonic sells some of his individualistic aspects short. Granted he could be a Dr Mario esque semi-clone, however given the work involved at that point you might as well just have a Tails or Knuckles that would have more novelty in terms of moves.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Well now I want to see that. I actually liked MC Ballyhoo...
I thought Ballyhoo was beyond annoying when MP8 came out, but I was also an edgelord wannabe 14-year-old. I replayed MP8 with some friends last fall and found him hilarious, so I think I just needed to come around to him. So sure, put him in Smash, why not? He's basically just as relevant as Geno in the context of the Mario series at this point.
Oh dang I accidentally started support for MC Ballyhoo in Smash.
Ok ok I can see why some people (who most likely never played SMRPG) don’t really get his appeal. In my point of view, Geno is an awesome character, with a really unique design, and a lot of potential. I really think it’s one hell of a waste to have such an incredible character like that being used just for one game and then untouched forever, so I’m glad with all the support the quirky puppet is getting. The very only thing that bothers me is the fact that Mallow doesn’t get nearly any demand.

I suppose I should participate too, one character that has been getting a ton of demand in such short notice (and that I never expected it to happen, nor did I wanted to) was Master Chief, and while I get that Smash has sort of became a celebration of gaming, I mean it’s still a Nintendo game, so I personally really don’t see any appeal on having a character that has like never had any kind of association with the company, I mean just because he’s a gaming icon, really? Wow fascinating...
Considering that Microsoft is also the owner of a company that was once one of the best 2nd party companies Nintendo ever had, and that has such an awesome roster (Conker, Fulgore, Battletoads, etc), yeah I don’t get how he’s the most requested from the Microsoft crew.

I don’t see why his moveset should be entirely based on his appearance as a boss in Subspace Emissary, if you have doubts on his moveset then I recommend you to watch this:
I agree Geno is really unique, and I'd like to see him only because he's unique, but i don't really want him as much as others due to lack of importancy.
Also, master cheif is not that violent (Solid Snake, Bayonetta, Joker.)
Within the franchise I think Shadow works fine (though arguably falling into the Sonic character trap of the creators now having no idea what to do with him), but in terms of abilities he feels like he's in an odd gray area as a fighter. He's not as distinct as a Robotnik in terms of potential attacks/style but still too unique that just being an EF of Sonic sells some of his individualistic aspects short. Granted he could be a Dr Mario esque semi-clone, however given the work involved at that point you might as well just have a Tails or Knuckles that would have more novelty in terms of moves.
Legacy XP had a good moveset for him. PErsonally, i loved his side special.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Isaac. I want Isaac as much as them (RIP Grinch Leak Heroes,we will miss ya) but it surprises me his thread is active and has reached over 1000 pages despite beign discomfirmed a long time ago. Hell i think his thread is more active than Waluigi's!

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Bandana Waddle Dee has a lot more support than I would expect, i get he is kind of the 4th main kirby character but characters like Magalor, Adeline, Susie, & Prince Fluff seem far more interesting in my opinion even if they dont appear as much.

Also the massive support for Geno has just always seemed odd in my opinion.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Bandana Waddle Dee has a lot more support than I would expect, i get he is kind of the 4th main kirby character but characters like Magalor, Adeline, Susie, & Prince Fluff seem far more interesting in my opinion even if they dont appear as much.

Also the massive support for Geno has just always seemed odd in my opinion.
I actually think a regular Waddle Dee would be more interesting in Smash than BWD. With regular Waddle Dee, there is almost tons to work with in terms of henchmen archetype.

Top Bottom